My unedited posts show as "Edited"?

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sorry if this has been brought up before.

Does a post really need to be forever labeled as Edited, if I realize LITERALLY 0.5 seconds after clicking Post Reply that I made a typo and act quickly to fix it? I feel like its ruining the context of so many posts.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By fattony12000

My unedited posts show as "Edited"?

@tsutohiro said:

Does a post really need to be forever labeled as Edited,if I realize LITERALLY 0.5 seconds after clicking Post Reply that I made a typo and act quickly to fix it? I feel like its ruining the context of so many posts.

That's what the word "edited" means. Don't click edit if you don't want to edit your post.

/edited

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RonGalaxy

@tsutohiro said:

Sorry if this has been brought up before.

Does a post really need to be forever labeled as Edited, if I realize LITERALLY 0.5 seconds after clicking Post Reply that I made a typo and act quickly to fix it? I feel like its ruining the context of so many posts.

It's not ruining the context of anything. I dont think anybody really cares if you edit a post, unless you say one thing and then completely change it (for nefarious reasons). I never even look at that section of a comment

Edit: Also, this isn't a bug. It's working as intended

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tsutohiro

Shouldn't there be a window for typos though?

I don't type my posts into a text editor before I post them, and it sucks when I just want to change one letter, (or terrible formatting), but it makes it look like I "fixed" the whole post.

Edit: I didn't edit this post at all, before this. Seriously, this is broken.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tsutohiro: There's no window for anything when it comes to editing posts here. You can edit any of your posts at anytime; there is no window where you can no longer edit (at least it doesn't seem like there's one). And once you click edit, it will be labeled as such. If you really care that much, proofread better before hitting post. Or maybe just don't care about it...

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tsutohiro

Using backspace is an edit? That's okay, I just needed to know what I was doing wrong.

Note to self: NEVER USE BACKSPACE.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tsutohiro

I have not clicked edit in this post, after this post, or in any of the posts in this thread.

I did however misspell a few words intentionally, before hitting Post Reply.

I will now correct them both, without ever hitting Post Reply or Edit afterwards.

Actual Edit: Well now I've edited it because I hit the "You posted too many messages in a row." point, and that ruins my experiment. We'll never figure it out now. (We will, just not now. ...BUT SOON!)

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8 MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm not sure I understand the issue. If you post something, then click the edit button to go back and change it, the post will show up as edited. If you type something, realize you made a mistake before posting it and correct that error before posting, it will not show up as edited. Are you saying that something different is happening for you?

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Possibly just a ID10T, carry on.

(If this shows up as Edited, I'm gonna lose my shit.)

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bigjeffrey

now im noticing it too. FUUUUU

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just realized how confusing this might seem. :D

So my issue is this.

There are times when I add a post, whether starting by clicking the Reply button on an existing post, or just by straight typing in the Reply field at the bottom of the thread, (no Edit after the fact involved), that said post is labeled Edited by.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jimmyfenix

@tsutohiro: Sometimes when i create a thread it will immediately say edited when i have just created a thread.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14 chaser324  Moderator

So, the issue described in the OP isn't an issue. If you click the Edit button at any point, it is going to say that you edited the post.

However, I guess what you're saying now is that sometimes it happens even when you don't click the edit button? I'm not sure if I've seen that occur myself, but I'm also not sure I would actually care if I did notice it...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I am so tempted to follow everyone who has complained about this around and stealth edit their posts until it drives them to insanity.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, the issue described in the OP isn't an issue. If you click the Edit button at any point, it is going to say that you edited the post.

However, I guess what you're saying now is that sometimes it happens even when you don't click the edit button? I'm not sure if I've seen that occur myself, but I'm also not sure I would actually care if I did notice it...

Indeed. Sorry for the confusion, I sorta turned what was meant to be a bug report into a random suggestion. I often have multiple threads open at once, and I was reading them and replying while typing this out, I started this one and sort of lost my place. My fault. (I wish my OP could stand on its own though, because a window of time where I could fix a simple typo would be nice.)

Anyway the bug to report is simply that there are times that I'll post something, and without any editing, it displays as being an Edited post.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tsutohiro
ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've had this happen to me. Not sure why some of my posts are marked as Edited despite me never going back to them.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So many examples I could add to this, should I even bother? (no offense intended, but I'm not editing the posts at all)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By mike

@tsutohiro: I don't think that's really necessary...the bug has been filed and there are examples here, but given some of the stuff that is being worked on I wouldn't expect this to be a very high priority fix.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Did you edit that? It shows as edited to me. I wonder if this post will.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tsutohiro

...I guess not, but half of my post did get eaten by "whatever void that eats posts". :/

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@mattyftm said:

I'm not sure I understand the issue. If you post something, then click the edit button to go back and change it, the post will show up as edited. If you type something, realize you made a mistake before posting it and correct that error before posting, it will not show up as edited. Are you saying that something different is happening for you?

Unless they fixed it in recent weeks, this is not the case. Last I checked posts would show up tagged as "Posted" or "Edited" seemingly at random.