#1 Edited by minivan (173 posts) -

When I hit giant bomb dot com the first thing I notice is that obvious blue and white text. This was useful for instantly seeing if a live show is live. Now this area no longer serves as an instant notification. I have to parse the text to figure out if it's a live show, or a video I haven't seen, or a video I've already seen. This wouldn't bother me as much if it was personalized to only advertise videos I haven't seen, like the 4 feature boxes at the top of the home page.

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10473 posts) -

Yeah, I agree. They had good intentions with this, but I'd rather that bit be just for the live videos.

#3 Posted by AndrewB (7491 posts) -

I don't know... I was thrown off because it was the first time I saw it, but it isn't a terrible change. The simple addition of something like a red recording light icon could clear up confusion. Heck, that might already be in place and I just didn't get to see it because I didn't catch this live.

#4 Posted by C2C (855 posts) -

I agree that it is not the best implemented change. The big reason I don't like it is because that notification was consistently used for live shows forever. I would be OK with the change if there was something different between live shows and videos instead of the little play icon (maybe a different color?).

However, the thing that confused me is the phrasing, "video is live." To me that sounded like a live show was on right now instead of a video being available. That irritated me more than it probably should have.

#5 Posted by Fattony12000 (7047 posts) -

Make the text a different colour and edit the copy a bit and it'd be fine. I like being able to get to an archive of the latest livestreamed video from any page on the site.

#6 Posted by Cirdain (2996 posts) -

I agree totally. But it's not just that. The Giant Bomb Desktop Alerts keeps saying "AW SNAP DROP A BOMB IT!" But there's no new video it just keeps periodically reminding me that the C64 video is live on the site.

#7 Posted by TruthTellah (8535 posts) -

Agreed. I wish it was at least a different color or appearance from new live shows. At the moment, it just keeps making me think something is "live" when it isn't.

#8 Posted by Achaemenid (88 posts) -

It's fine, all they need to do is change the color and they're golden

#9 Edited by MB (11976 posts) -

I'm going to move this to Bug Reporting for now even though it's technically not a bug. I think changing the style of the new notification is a good suggestion but it would just get lost in General within a matter of hours.

#10 Edited by ChrisHarris (275 posts) -

@cirdain said:

I agree totally. But it's not just that. The Giant Bomb Desktop Alerts keeps saying "AW SNAP DROP A BOMB IT!" But there's no new video it just keeps periodically reminding me that the C64 video is live on the site.

Is that on the most recent update? The only odd behavior I've seen lately is the API occasionally saying there's a developer test chat when there's nothing on the giantbomb.com/chat page. I'm guessing one of two things is happening then: either they're not being surfaced anymore (to avoid people interfering) or they are and the API just lags behind a bit (info shows up after the test chat is already over). The latter would also explain why the real chats don't appear in the API until several minutes after the chat page is live.

#11 Posted by Jeff (3417 posts) -

@minivan: There's a bug right now that breaks the homepage if there's nothing in that slot. It'll get fixed on Monday.

That said, the slot you're talking about isn't designed solely to promote live shows. We've used it for review embargo countdowns and other stuff in the past (and will probably continue to do so, on occasion).

Staff
#12 Posted by TruthTellah (8535 posts) -

@jeff: That's quite understandable for new content that you want attention toward, but some greater differentiation between the live notification and non-live notification would be helpful. Even just a color difference might be enough to keep it from looking like a present live show.

As you said, it isn't used -that- often, and it seems to only be this way today due to a glitch. But even for the future, it would be helpful to be able to more quickly differentiate between a live note and a non-live note. :)

#13 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

Yeah, i don't like it because it's tricked me into thinking there was a live stream going on a few times....

#14 Posted by minivan (173 posts) -

@jeff said:

@minivan: There's a bug right now that breaks the homepage if there's nothing in that slot. It'll get fixed on Monday.

That said, the slot you're talking about isn't designed solely to promote live shows. We've used it for review embargo countdowns and other stuff in the past (and will probably continue to do so, on occasion).

Hah strange bug! It makes sense to use that slot for embargo countdowns and other time-limited content, but I agree with others in this thread that some visual differentiation could be useful. Different colors or icons, or something...

#15 Posted by penfold01 (16 posts) -

I think part of the problem is the use of the word 'Live' in the headline "New VIDEO is Live!" If it said "New VIDEO posted" or something else and dropped the word Live it'd be easier to parse that it's not a live stream.

#16 Posted by Toxin066 (3254 posts) -

I think it would be a tad better if the "new video/podcast" were moved to the right side and the "Live video" were kept on the left to distinguish the two.

#17 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

I thought it was live. If that thing is going to be used for more than just live shows, there should be more differentiation between live and not-live. Not using the word "live" for example.

#18 Posted by Rorie (2685 posts) -

The only reason that header promo is there is because there's a java issue that causes the homepage to 404 if the promo goes away. It should be fixed sometime soon. We have no plans to change that promo to point to already-archived content going forward.

Staff