New video sizes and formats?

css_switchfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By css_switchfoot

I usually download everything I watch on Giantbomb and then pack it up on my Zune to watch somewhere else. I've been doing this for a few years and haven't had any problems.

It looks like the staff changed the sizes of certain videos though and maybe the format? Any video in the past month is a little lager in the "high" quality option and is taking forever to convert and sync. The old format for "high" would just transfer to my Zune in a few seconds, but now its having to convert it. Just wondering what was changed and if there's any way around the conversion?

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah, the high-quality videos tend to be closer to a gig now.

TromboneTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I'm in the exact same situation as you. Unfortunately I haven't found a workaround yet.

css_switchfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By css_switchfoot

So it turns out the Mobile format doesn't have to be converted. Does anyone know if there's an actual difference in format between Mobile and Medium?

rchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By rchen
Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#6  Edited By Brackynews

@rchen: I'm ok with the bit rates changing with the times, however I've noticed that the compressor settings for Mobile seem to have changed to drastically lower the quality during motion, whereas they weren't before. If I was encoding them myself, I would think I switched it to 1-pass instead of 2.

I'm ok with upping my default RSS feed quality (I'm thrifty, so what) but the new Mobile quality settings are almost unwatchable for most videos. And again, it was pretty good before the site change. The SimCity QL is 1 hour and 188MB at Mobile quality. Here is a screenshot of it blown up to 1920x1080, on a frame static for several seconds.

Viewed full, this is clean enough to eat off. The text is even readable.
Viewed full, this is clean enough to eat off. The text is even readable.

Here's one in fast motion, like most games. Blarg.
Here's one in fast motion, like most games. Blarg.

rchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm...if you can provide me with specific details about what is optimal for you with specific encoding information (such as bit rate, 1 or 2 pass etc,) I can probably change the encoding settings.

A lot of people seem to be having problems with the new video encoding settings as well. I'll also head over to the video team tomorrow and ask them what can be changed for optimal video quality.

Thanks for your help!

horton84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with the relatively un-watchable mobile videos. I only download them because of bandwidth issues and prior to the new site launch, they were great. Now, any movement on the screen renders the picture a blurry mess and un-viewable.

Thanks!

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#9  Edited By Brackynews

@rchen: Well I don't think I can advise you guys on the nitty gritty industrial strength encoder settings... all I can say is "what were the settings in January? Try those again." :)

Thanks to @horton84for the confirmation.

rchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok I spoke to some people about this. Will get back to you guys with an update soon.

rchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Changed some video encoding settings today (yesterday technically), specifically Key frames to 10s instead of 2...we'll see if that helps any