#1 Edited by 00 (141 posts) -

Just loaded up the chat on my PC to be greeted with:

Sorry! Your browser is not one that we can support in chat any longer. Its either too old or your IT guy really did a job on it and its 'too safe' for us. We thought a lot about this and its just too darn hard to support your browser while we support newer browsers that play so much better with others on the world wide webs. We really hope you can upgrade. If Mel the IT guy riding high on his little power trip sez no then we suggest you find a job where the IT guy pushes out reasonable browsers. You can still watch the live stream so at least you have that going for you. Which is nice...

We strongly suggest Chrome We're totally cool with Safari We deal with Firefox Oh and there's Internet Explorer 10

Since you're still using Flash for video, IE11 is the only option on my Windows 8.1 PC. (I'd rather be using Firefox)

#2 Edited by PimblyCharles (1643 posts) -

I remember it working in IE11 on my WP 8.1 device a few weeks ago, and then the chat immediately crashed for everyone and it hasn't worked in IE11 since. Maybe coincidence? Maybe not, but it did once work for a few minutes.

#3 Edited by Forcen (1856 posts) -

Wait, can't you use flash on Firefox on Windows 8.1? Why not?

#4 Edited by fleabeard (210 posts) -

It works fine if you change the browser's user agent to IE10, Chrome, or Firefox.

#5 Posted by 00 (141 posts) -

@forcen said:

Wait, can't you use flash on Firefox on Windows 8.1? Why not?

IE11 has Flash built in. If I could remove it from the system, I would.

I certainly won't be installing additional plugins to have it in Firefox too.

#6 Posted by edgework (217 posts) -

If you're running IE 11 and seeing that error then its 'too safe' for us. That or the network you're on is 'too safe'. Chat supports 10 and 11 in normal environments.

Staff
#7 Posted by Rowr (5824 posts) -

@edgework said:

If you're running IE 11 and seeing that error then its 'too safe' for us. That or the network you're on is 'too safe'. Chat supports 10 and 11 in normal environments.

This doesn't seem like an obvious thing to know. Could there be at least something to say how to go about fixing this instead of being told you have an old browser when that's not actually the case.

I don't know if it's just not something that works on the GB end, but it seems a bit ridiculous it doesn't work with IE11 straight up.

It's obviously not specific to a network setup, since I have no issue getting it to work in chrome.

#8 Edited by edgework (217 posts) -

@rowr: There's nothing for us to fix. There's something about your configuration or network that isn't allowing websockets or xhr-polling. We don't support any other methods because they cause too much stress on the servers. IE tries a bunch of methods when the good ones don't work for some reason and we don't support those others. IE11 untouched, on a normal network will connect to chat just fine. I got into today's chat with IE11.

This is not uncommon in overly 'safe' IT environments.

Staff
#9 Edited by ussbutte (32 posts) -
@00 said:
Since you're still using Flash for video, IE11 is the only option on my Windows 8.1 PC. (I'd rather be using Firefox)

Firefox has supported playing H.264 video in HTML5 for around a year now, although I guess that doesn't help for streams. (I think?)

#10 Posted by jSlack (279 posts) -

Ya, as edgework has said, it's a really tough issue.

Generally, people who are forced to use IE are also in a corporate environment, and therefore under a VPN/Firewall/Proxy/Some kind of heavy filtering. If XHR and websockets are restricted, or even filtered, there won't be much success. A lot of node js / websocket implementations allow for a "polling" fallback mode - so users might not even realize that the indended features aren't working, which is pretty bad.

If you feel like it, try: http://websocketstest.com/ with your IE version & inside your usual network.

Staff
#11 Edited by kineticflow (43 posts) -

I reported this before, it still feels like GB is doing something with the user agent. websocketstest.com definitely works with IE11 on my network. If I change the user agent to, say, Chrome, using the exact same browser and network, the chat works perfectly fine. So it's not the browser, and it's not the network either.

Also, not everyone is "forced" to use IE11 - some people like me use IE because it syncs across my Windows phone and my tablet. The same reason for using Chrome if you have an Android phone.

The user agent for IE11 on Windows 8.1 is:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko

----

Edit: just read edgework's post that says "I got into today's chat with IE11."... I definitely believe you, I wonder what is going on with OP's and my setup then. :(

#12 Posted by Baillie (4285 posts) -

@kineticflow: Chrome syncs too. Why don't you just use that when you want to watch a stream? It's more of a problem on your end, I can watch it with chat on IE11, using Parallels on my Mac.

#13 Posted by Laika (139 posts) -

@kineticflow said:

I reported this before, it still feels like GB is doing something with the user agent. websocketstest.com definitely works with IE11 on my network. If I change the user agent to, say, Chrome, using the exact same browser and network, the chat works perfectly fine.

Also, not everyone is "forced" to use IE11 - some people like me use IE because it syncs across my Windows phone and my tablet. I wish people here would stop being so stubborn about it and just stop blocking IE11 for no good reason.

I looked into this and Microsoft indeed changed the format of their user-agent string in IE 11, such that our sniffer no longer picks up on it. I'll update the client to recognize it as a supported browser.

#14 Posted by kineticflow (43 posts) -

@laika:

Thank you very much for actually solving the issue instead of "why u no use Chrome". Now I'm a happy subscriber.

#15 Posted by 00 (141 posts) -

@laika said:

@kineticflow said:

I looked into this and Microsoft indeed changed the format of their user-agent string in IE 11, such that our sniffer no longer picks up on it. I'll update the client to recognize it as a supported browser.

Excellent, thanks.

It seems odd to simply block a browser based on its user agent, rather than letting the user find out if chat works or not.

I don't use the default user agent in Firefox for privacy reasons, for example. (IE11 is using the default settings though)

@ussbutte said:
@00 said:

Firefox has supported playing H.264 video in HTML5 for around a year now, although I guess that doesn't help for streams. (I think?)

Yes, I normally use Firefox and watch HTML5 video, but the live streams are still flash-based so I have to use IE for them.

#16 Posted by kineticflow (43 posts) -

I can confirm that the chat now works in IE11. Thank you very much

#17 Edited by edgework (217 posts) -

@00 said:

It seems odd to simply block a browser based on its user agent, rather than letting the user find out if chat works or not.

Normally I would agree with you but Internet Exploder tries too hard and in doing so thrashes our servers. IE is a mess, a bloody mess and I really wish people would stop using it...

Staff