#1 Edited by Rorie (2707 posts) -

Hey, I really apologize for the past week. Having the notifications not working for so long has been pretty annoying for everyone. Obviously some stuff is tough to test with a small group of engineers vs. tens of thousands of users, but I recognize that that is no excuse.

On the bright side, we pushed out a bunch of fixes today to the entire system. If you're willing to give us some fresh feedback on the system now that it's theoretically operational, please use this thread to do so. Be sure to double-check your notification settings to ensure that they're checked off as you like before reporting bugs, though! We're especially interested in hearing if specific notifications aren't being sent when they're checked off in your settings, or if notifications are being sent to you even though they're checked off in your settings. We've been pounding this stuff pretty hard over the past few days, so we think it should be functioning properly, but obviously with thousands of people looking at it you're sure to see stuff that we missed. Please let me know in this thread as to the existence of any outright bugs.

Issues list:

• Quoting a user who has quoted you will result in you sending a notification to yourself. Filed a bug.
  • Sometimes notifications will appear under the flag even though it displays a 0. I think it's taking some time to cache. Will keep an eye on it.
Staff
#2 Edited by crusader8463 (14414 posts) -

@rorie: Sounds good. Does this retroactively make replies show up or is it only going forward? I'm going to be paranoid now wondering about all the praise to my witty, intelligent, and thought provoking comments that I may have missed.

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

All ready told you about self quoting. It also seems if someone quotes me after I quoted them quoting me *I know its confusing* It again says Ive quoted myself.

#4 Posted by Rorie (2707 posts) -

@rorie: Sounds good. Does this retroactively make replies show up or is it only going forward? I'm going to be paranoid now wondering about all the praise to my witty, intelligent, and thought provoking comments that I may have missed.

I don't believe it will go through the backlog for the past week, unfortunately. :(

Staff
#5 Edited by insane_shadowblade85 (1393 posts) -

Well that's good to know. You can feed the engineers now, they've deserved it.

#6 Posted by crusader8463 (14414 posts) -

@rorie said:

@crusader8463 said:

I don't believe it will go through the backlog for the past week, unfortunately. :(

You may have sent that reply as I was in the process of doing this, but I just went into the settings and all the notifications had been turned off. It's all on now but I did not get a reply to this post. I only seen it because I refreshed.

#7 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@rorie said:

@crusader8463 said:

Scratch that. It no longer quotes when you are quoted in a quote.....sorry if that does not make sense.

Can you make it so the drop down on the right side only shows maybe last 5 quotes?

#8 Edited by Pop (2608 posts) -
#9 Posted by Aegon (5405 posts) -

So...why does it say "immediate" instead of "enabled" for the email options.

#10 Posted by Rorie (2707 posts) -
Staff
#11 Posted by Demoskinos (14574 posts) -

I'm still not getting anything at all. I have all notifications enabled and email notifications all turned off if its any help. I know I've been replied to a few times today. Still, nothing though.

#12 Edited by crusader8463 (14414 posts) -

@rorie: Still nothing. I just double checked and all the options are set to on in settings.

#13 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@rorie: Still nothing. I just double checked and all the options are set to on in settings.

Test test.

#14 Posted by Rorie (2707 posts) -

@aegon: Eventually we hope to have a weekly digest of email notifications if you don't want them all right away.

Staff
#15 Posted by crusader8463 (14414 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

Test test.

If I turn on email immediate I get it in my gmail, but I still see nothing on the site.

#16 Edited by Rorie (2707 posts) -

@crusader8463: @demoskinos: can you click through to your profile and see if anything's showing up on the Notifications tab there? I think the numeric indicator in the upper bar is caching, and it might be taking some time for the number to appear.

Staff
#17 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@rorie said:

@crusader8463: @demoskinos: can you click through to your profile and see if anything's showing up on the Notifications tab there? I think the numeric indicator in the upper bar is caching, and it might be taking some time for the number to appear.

Showing mentions when I mouse over the flag but no number pop up.

#18 Posted by crusader8463 (14414 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: @rorie: I see the notifications now, but I get nothing in my inbox on the site. Still gettin it in gmail. To be fair I was not aware the site had changed to that notification thing. It's always been a mail in the inbox and I was thinking that flag thing was telling me when people I had followed were online.

#19 Posted by Rorie (2707 posts) -

@crusader8463: Yeah, sorry, this is the same flag graphic from the following, used for something new. Your inbox is now only used for PMs; most of the older notifications will now appear under the flag.

Staff
#20 Posted by crusader8463 (14414 posts) -

@rorie: I see. Good to know. It all seems to be working now that I have that flag confusion figured out.

#21 Posted by Hunter5024 (5546 posts) -

I have all of the notifications turned on, all of the emails turned off, and I seem to be getting notifications whenever someone quotes me.

#22 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@rorie said:

@crusader8463: Yeah, sorry, this is the same flag graphic from the following, used for something new. Your inbox is now only used for PMs; most of the older notifications will now appear under the flag.

I like that after I mouse over the flag if it has a "1" It goes back to "0" without having to click it.

#23 Edited by Aegon (5405 posts) -

@rorie said:

@aegon: Eventually we hope to have a weekly digest of email notifications if you don't want them all right away.

Ah, I see.

Also, YAY IT WORKS.

#24 Posted by mrfluke (5093 posts) -

i have the notifications turned on for getting notified for when someone quotes/replies to me and i get nothing either.

#25 Edited by Rorie (2707 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

i have the notifications turned on for getting notified for when someone quotes/replies to me and i get nothing either.

Can you click through to the notifications page on your profile and see if this shows up there? The number next to the flag can take a few minutes to update at the moment.

Staff
#26 Edited by Demoskinos (14574 posts) -

@rorie: Okay just got one from this reply. Might be fixed for me?

#27 Posted by Hunter5024 (5546 posts) -

Two things I've noticed. Firstly the whole self quote thing, when I quote someone, who also quoted me in their post, I get notified that I have quoted myself. Is this intentional? Secondly, for some reason my profile pic isn't cropped in the notification menu, and that makes it look weird.

#28 Edited by believer258 (11663 posts) -

Quick, someone quote me, just to make sure!

#29 Posted by falserelic (5333 posts) -

fullmetal alchemist FTW! there you go...

#30 Posted by mrfluke (5093 posts) -

@rorie: i got your notification, so maybe its fixed now.

#31 Posted by Hailinel (23928 posts) -

'Sup?

#32 Posted by Rorie (2707 posts) -

Two things I've noticed. Firstly the whole self quote thing, when I quote someone, who also quoted me in their post, I get notified that I have quoted myself. Is this intentional? Secondly, for some reason my profile pic isn't cropped in the notification menu, and that makes it look weird.

See the issues list above on the first point. Second, quote or reply me so I can see what your avatar looks like.

Staff
#33 Posted by mrfluke (5093 posts) -

they should make a proper good full metal alchemist game.

#34 Posted by falserelic (5333 posts) -

Well quote me too anybody. I want to see if my notifications is working.

#35 Posted by Rorie (2707 posts) -

Quote!

Staff
#36 Posted by falserelic (5333 posts) -

@rorie said:
@falserelic said:

Quote!

Aswome! seems to be working now. Good job man, thanks...

#37 Edited by Hunter5024 (5546 posts) -

@rorie said:

@hunter5024 said:

See the issues list above on the first point. Second, quote or reply me so I can see what your avatar looks like.

#38 Edited by Rorie (2707 posts) -

@hunter5024: i love bentley and I think he'd be a good snack

Staff
#39 Edited by believer258 (11663 posts) -

@mrfluke: @hailinel: @falserelic: And it works for me again! No more digging through threads to see if anyone has responded to my mediocre brilliant posts!

#40 Posted by jimmyfenix (3830 posts) -

hey can some one quote me ?

#41 Posted by believer258 (11663 posts) -
#42 Posted by jimmyfenix (3830 posts) -
#43 Edited by pyromagnestir (4249 posts) -

Notificate me like one of your French girls.

#44 Posted by Rorie (2707 posts) -
Staff
#45 Edited by pyromagnestir (4249 posts) -
#46 Posted by Milkman (16535 posts) -

Someone speak words to me so I can make sure this works.

#47 Posted by jimmyfenix (3830 posts) -