#1 Edited by RonGalaxy (3223 posts) -

For the past 2 weeks, I thought the bombcast player was estimating the total runtime incorrectly, as it would say there was 3 hours but only ran for an hour and a half. This week I decided to download the bombcast after listening to it on the site (the same thing happened, it said it was 3 hours but ran ended at an hour and a half). When the download completed, I noticed that the runtime was the 3 hours that the player was saying it was; which was confirmed when I jumped around to see if there was actually 3 hours of audio and not dead space.

This leads me to assume that the site player is cutting out some of the bombcast, which I didn't notice since there's still a beginning and end to it...

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

EDIT: Weird, it's working now, BUT the player is saying the runtime is 2 hours and 58 minutes when the downloaded file is saying 3 hours and 4 minutes...

#2 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1788 posts) -

I haven't quite had it cut out, maybe once that has happened to me, but sometimes the run time will be short and it will keep playing beyond that, and even the progression bar expands beyond the graphic which is kind of funny. That's only happened to me a couple of times, though. What always happens is that the run time when I first press play is short, and it lengthens to its proper time as it plays. I think the player is just a little fucked up.

#3 Posted by Nodima (1244 posts) -

I have had neither of your issues (I tend to download to my iPhone and play out of that just for the sake of the Podcast app knowing it's been played) but the one or two times I've gone with the on-line version in the past couple months I've definitely noticed that the timer starts at one number but then grows to another, only slightly larger number after a few minutes.

#4 Edited by RonGalaxy (3223 posts) -

Im relistening to it, and the part where vinny talks about playing the new xcom game was completely cut out the first time I listened

#5 Edited by BisonHero (6674 posts) -

@naru_joe93 said:

Im relistening to it, and the part where vinny talks about playing the new xcom game was completely cut out the first time I listened

Maybe, ummmm, Jeff thought they were skirting too close to story embargoes that aren't supposed to be mentioned in the first few weeks of release or something? That does seem like a weird section to get left out. Also, maybe it was there all along and you forgot. Why should I trust your memory, Mr. Naru Joe? RIDDLE ME THAT.

#6 Posted by jking47 (1215 posts) -

@bisonhero: Those embargo worries were about Wonderful 101 I believe, not the new XCOM.

But yeah this issue sounds very weird, I always listen on my phone so can't really help.

#7 Edited by RonGalaxy (3223 posts) -

@naru_joe93 said:

Maybe, ummmm, Jeff thought they were skirting too close to story embargoes that aren't supposed to be mentioned in the first few weeks of release or something? That does seem like a weird section to get left out. Also, maybe it was there all along and you forgot. Why should I trust your memory, Mr. Naru Joe? RIDDLE ME THAT.

Because I started listening to the bombcast when Jeff posted that it was up on his twitter (I noticed the tweet very soon after it was posted). I downloaded the MP3 of the bombcast soon after I "finished" it on the sites player to see if the times matched up.

They did not.

The sites player ended the podcast at 1 hour and 28 minutes (when I say ended, I mean Jeff signing off and hearing the outro music, which added to my confusion) while the mp3 of the bombcast is definitely 3 hours. Note: the site player did say the runtime was 3 hours, but when I tried to click past the 1 hour and 28 minute mark, it would immediately cause the bombcast to restart (indicating that that space on the scrubber was non-existent.

After coming to all of these conclusions, I checked jeffs twitter again. The tweet I mentioned earlier (where he says the bombcast is up) was posted only 2 hours previously. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to listen to the full 3 hour bombcast, and come to false conclusions in a 2 hour timeframe, indicating that the issue did exist (though it no longer does on my end. Might have just been a weird glitch that fixed itself).

#8 Posted by Korwin (2897 posts) -

I've had stream problems through my phone app for a few weeks now, the casts will just stop abruptly and I need to pause then restart the stream where it left off to get it going again.

#9 Posted by Excast (1029 posts) -

I've been noticing some issues with the site player for the last few weeks. They seem to pop up whenever I pause the podcast and then attempt to start listening to it again. In several instances the audio went back minutes while the timer stayed on what it was. So, at the end, I end up with a timer that has run out even though there is still 30+ minutes of podcast remaining. I sort of had to reload the page and guesstimate as to where I had been.

#10 Posted by Nodima (1244 posts) -

I did also have what @excast describes above that second time, which was why I went back to waiting for it to appear on my phone. Using tabs, or windows, or something got the player confused in some way and I lost about an hour of the podcast on the seek bar.

#11 Posted by Rorie (3117 posts) -

Hmm, sorry for the issues. I'll file a bug for this and see if anyone can track down an issue; it might be a javascript error of some sort.

Staff
#12 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

@rorie said:

Hmm, sorry for the issues. I'll file a bug for this and see if anyone can track down an issue; it might be a javascript error of some sort.

So I have a suggestion for some cool Rorie content, man. So I recently watched Before Sunrise, Into the Wild and In the Name of the Father and I loved that shit, man. So my problem is that even trying to find a good movie with tools such as imdb and metacritic, it is just a jungle out there. And as I'm sure you know, every movie website in the world and their sister sites and their podcasts only cover new movies, which I couldn't give that much of a shit about since they're probably a bit uninteresting, right?. I'm more interested in the gems, you know?

So with you being the Roger Ebert of Giant Bomb, I just thought it would be cool if you made a list of cool movies somehow. Maybe once a year make a list of 10 cool movies, you know, the gems you really like, the ones you would recommend to friends and family, like Totoro, maybe with a small sentence explaining why the movie is so sick. Just thought it was a cool idea for a really useful feature with very little production overhead. Anyway, laters man.

#13 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5040 posts) -

@excast said:

I've been noticing some issues with the site player for the last few weeks. They seem to pop up whenever I pause the podcast and then attempt to start listening to it again. In several instances the audio went back minutes while the timer stayed on what it was. So, at the end, I end up with a timer that has run out even though there is still 30+ minutes of podcast remaining. I sort of had to reload the page and guesstimate as to where I had been.

I have the same problem. I've noticed that the player starts with a playtime and after a few seconds it corrects the timer.

#14 Edited by meaninoflife42 (522 posts) -

I've never listened to the Bombcast through the on-site player. I always use iTunes and it's never cut anything out.