#1 Posted by Rorie (3104 posts) -

Hey,

We're currently getting scraped by a third party that's hitting the users list page on the site repeatedly, which is causing a lot of oddness and slowdowns across the site. You may see delayed notifications, double posts, or posts in the forums taking a long time to show up after you submit them. We've been seeing a lot of scraping over the past few weeks and are examining both specific solutions (banning IPs) and more general solutions to prevent the issue. Obviously that doesn't make it any easier to use the site during periods when we're getting scraped, but hopefully things will be back to normal in the next hour or so.

Sorry for the trouble.

#2 Edited by katimanic (116 posts) -

I haven't noticed anything.

#3 Posted by katimanic (116 posts) -

I haven't noticed anything.

#4 Posted by RazielCuts (2972 posts) -

@katimanic: Ha, not sure if intentional but I love how you're the first post and illustrate the point :D

#5 Posted by Aegon (5702 posts) -

@rorie: This might be related, but specifically with the Box Office Winner's thread, I posted my guess yesterday and it isn't showing up in the thread anymore. I tried to post again in the thread with a pic of my forum activity (which has logged the posts and didn't lose them), but I got a "something went wrong" warning and it didn't post.

#6 Edited by Chaser324 (6647 posts) -
#7 Posted by Rorie (3104 posts) -

Hopefully @mrpibb 's fixes will fix that.

#8 Posted by ManMadeGod (1575 posts) -

Rogue web scrappers you say? The internet is the wild wild west..........

It looks like the page numbers are the only thing broken on a lot of these threads - they aren't showing all of them. If you directly change the URL in your address bar, you can get to pages beyond what is listed as the last page.

For example, the Box Office Winners thread mentioned by @aegon shows seven pages, but:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic-31/box-office-winners-league-amazing-spider-man-2-1482044/?page=13

I am having this issue as well on more than one topic.

#9 Posted by mrpibb (470 posts) -

@manmadegod: we have a fix rolling out for the missing post. It was part of a performance release that removed a distinct but forgot about it when it came to deleted posts (something staff can see but users can't).

#10 Posted by mrpibb (470 posts) -
#11 Posted by ManMadeGod (1575 posts) -
#12 Posted by AlmightyBoob (76 posts) -

Still happening to me :(

#13 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

I'm still experiencing forum issues, as well.

#14 Posted by mrpibb (470 posts) -
#15 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@mrpibb: A little before I made the above post, I posted to a thread and got an error saying that the post didn't go through, but when I returned to the main forum page, it had refreshed, and it indicated that my response was in fact posted. I've also been seeing threads not be updated with recent posts. (i.e.: My notifications indicate I get a response, but when I click the notification, I'm taken to the thread and the response post isn't there.)

#16 Posted by mrpibb (470 posts) -

@hailinel: just pushed a new release, can you reply back if you see the fixes in place?

#17 Edited by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@mrpibb said:

@hailinel: just pushed a new release, can you reply back if you see the fixes in place?

I am no longer seeing those problems, but I did not receive a notification regarding your more recent response. Or at least not yet.

EDIT: I did get a notification immediately that I responded to myself, though.

#18 Posted by mrpibb (470 posts) -

@hailinel: hmm, ok there's some wierdness with the new databases that i'm working w/ the dba's on. so you didn't get a notification from my reply at all?

#19 Edited by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@mrpibb said:

@hailinel: hmm, ok there's some wierdness with the new databases that i'm working w/ the dba's on. so you didn't get a notification from my reply at all?

Nope. Not this one, either.

Agh, darn it. The forum main page and threads aren't in sync, yet, apparently. I'm still getting conflicts where the main page says the most recent post by User A, where User A's post has yet to appear in the thread.

#20 Posted by mrpibb (470 posts) -

@hailinel: hmmm odd, let me dig into it a bit more, not seeing slowness on my side, but i'm refreshing a bunch too.