#1 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -

I just renewed my subscription and I'm still getting banner ads on the website. I'm not getting ads on the videos though and I can watch subscriber videos.

#2 Edited by Baillie (4081 posts) -

Silver members still get ads.

#3 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

@baillie said:

Silver members still get ads.

I was a silver member for a year and a half and never got any ads. I've heard others say the same. It seems like kind of a crapshoot on that front. Unless, in the last year, they finally fixed it.

#4 Posted by omghisam (284 posts) -
#5 Edited by Itwongo (1183 posts) -

My guess is if you bought a silver sub prior to the change, you don't get ads.

#6 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -

Oh god dammit. Yeah I had it before the change but stopped supporting for a bit. Well, I guess I'll see if there's enough subscriber content to keep me on. I mainly subscribe to not have ads.

#7 Posted by m16mojo2 (295 posts) -

I just use ad block. I don't feel "too" bad about it, because I am still supporting the site. Also a few other Chrome extensions.

#8 Edited by Shoey920 (55 posts) -

so wait... the people who pay $60 a year for premium content see ads but the people who pay $50 don't.

that seems really fair.

#9 Posted by alternate (2696 posts) -

try logging out and logging back in

#10 Posted by Shoey920 (55 posts) -

for what it's worth I don't see ads for whatever reason, but incentivizing one payment model over another is kind of gross. We're all supporting the site monetarily, a distinction doesn't need to exist.

#11 Posted by swimbuff (26 posts) -

try logging out and logging back in

I second this. Clearing cookies may also help.

#12 Edited by Baillie (4081 posts) -

@shoey920 said:

so wait... the people who pay $60 a year for premium content see ads but the people who pay $50 don't.

that seems really fair.

Yeah, but then you also have a large number of people who will sign up for one month, and grab all the premium content and then unsubscribe.

#13 Posted by myketuna (1679 posts) -

@baillie said:

@shoey920 said:

that seems really fair.

Yeah, but then you also have a large number of people who will sign up for one month, and grab all the premium content and then unsubscribe.

What he said. Someone could just download all the back catalog during the month, absorb the new sub stuff for that month, then quit out only to do it again in another 6 months or something.

#14 Posted by Shoey920 (55 posts) -

Hey that's actually a good point. Perhaps a compromise where new premium members on monthly payment get no ads after 3 consecutive months?

#15 Posted by TopSteer (643 posts) -

I've been a monthly member since the subscriptions started and I've never seen ads. It doesn't bother me either way as I don't mind ads but it's weird that some silver members don't see ads.

#16 Posted by TruthTellah (8803 posts) -

@shoey920 said:

Hey that's actually a good point. Perhaps a compromise where new premium members on monthly payment get no ads after 3 consecutive months?

So a mechanism that kind of rewards your sticking around? I like that idea. I don't know if 3 consecutive months is the answer, but something like that. Someone should suggest this idea to Rorie.

#17 Posted by Demoskinos (14770 posts) -

@shoey920 said:

So a mechanism that kind of rewards your sticking around? I like that idea. I don't know if 3 consecutive months is the answer, but something like that. Someone should suggest this idea to Rorie.

That seems like a good compromise actually.