#1 Edited by yeliwofthecorn (60 posts) -

Hopefully this hasn't already been covered, I tried looking around a bit first and couldn't find anything.

My issue is with the video player. The progress bar (or tracking bar? the bar at the bottom of the player) doesn't disappear on a certain setup I have. On my desktop PC it's fine, but I recently hooked up an old tower to my TV and for some reason on that setup it never goes away. Other video players don't seem to have this problem (youtube, vimeo, etc.) but it makes it very difficult to watch premium content on the TV.

I have tried all the standard troubleshooting steps (switched between progressive, html, and progressive) turning off the mouse, moving it everywhere I can, etc.

• Browser: Chrome
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • Type Of Player: All
  • Adblock: Off

I don't know if the issue is on my end or not, but given that the issue is only with this specific video player I decided to ask for some help. Also, if this question would be better suited for the main video player bugs thread, please let me know.

#2 Posted by edgework (38 posts) -

Do you have a gaming mouse by any chance? As a developer I ran into a similar issue with Logictech drivers that kept reporting micro movement even if no mouse was plugged in.

Did you make sure you have the latest version of Flash?

Can you get away from Vista? I mean that's the first thing anyone would look at and say "There's yer problem!"

Staff
#3 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -

I've been having the same issue recently as well on both my MacBook Pro (Mavericks) and my PC (Windows 7). Only happens in fullscreen.

#4 Posted by edgework (38 posts) -

I've been having the same issue recently as well on both my MacBook Pro (Mavericks) and my PC (Windows 7). Only happens in fullscreen.

I have 3 different MBPs all with Mavericks and cannot reproduce this. Do you have any special kind of hardware or maybe professional video editing software installed? Anything beyond simple stuff like Word, Excel games etc.

Staff
#5 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -

@edgework said:

@captain_felafel said:

I have 3 different MBPs all with Mavericks and cannot reproduce this. Do you have any special kind of hardware or maybe professional video editing software installed? Anything beyond simple stuff like Word, Excel games etc.

No special hardware, and the closest piece of professional editing software I've installed in Photoshop CS5. It is incredibly sporadic and only happens once every 10-20 videos, but when it does happen I have to refresh the page to get it to disappear properly.

#6 Posted by edgework (38 posts) -
Staff
#7 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -

@edgework said:

@captain_felafel: Do you watch stuff on hulu a lot by chance?

Not sure if you're trying to troubleshoot, or a bizarre marketing research email. :P

But no, I've used Hulu, like, once.

#8 Posted by edgework (38 posts) -

@captain_felafel: LOL. I mention hulu because I know its player has similar issues. I'm fairly sure its a bug in Flash. If you had special hardware or professional editing software that stuff tends to mess with the mouse wether you're using it or not which would account for the overlays not going away, but absent of that I'd have to say for you its a Flash issue. For OP I would point at Vista being the worst POS OS that Microsoft ever put out (and I'm not usually a MS hater).

Staff
#9 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -

@edgework said:

@captain_felafel: For OP I would point at Vista being the worst POS OS that Microsoft ever put out (and I'm not usually a MS hater).

That's a real controversial stance you're taking there, Edgework. :P

#10 Posted by Torabi (29 posts) -

I'm having this issue as well. At least with the HTML 5 player it won't go away.