#1 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I didn't see any topics mentioning this so I'mma make a post for posterity's sake.

The functionality of the Quote button in the text editor has changed recently and it's inconsistent with the way quoting by clicking Quote next to a post.

#2 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

New post to demonstrate:

@ravenlight said:

I didn't see any topics mentioning this so I'mma make a post for posterity's sake.

The functionality of the Quote button in the text editor has changed recently and it's inconsistent with the way quoting by clicking Quote next to a post.

That's the Quote button next to my post.

This is what happens when I click the Quote button in the editor.

Expected behavior would be to have the Quote button make the indent and black bar like it used to.

#3 Posted by ajamafalous (11957 posts) -

They've actually been two different things for a while. Like, going on at least a year now.

Quote in the editor itself is for if you're pulling a choice quote from a news story or something, e.g.:

"Hey guys I was reading this story about how cats are taking over the world at [this link]. The most interesting part was this:

According to a recent study, over 7500 people in America died last year in cat-related murders.

It's pretty insane. Discuss."

The first quote you did was if you quote a forum post; they aren't the same thing and haven't been for quite a while.

#4 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Woah hold up, that second quote looks completely different on the mobile site. Maybe sometHings fucked up my desktop. Troubleshooting!

#5 Posted by Rorie (2857 posts) -

Hmm yeah they should look slightly different. They're supposed to, at any rate, but I grant that labelling them the same is pretty confusing.

Staff
#6 Posted by mlarrabee (2921 posts) -

@rorie: Highlighting "Quote" in the editor brings up "Blockquote your text for emphasis" as a tooltip, but I suppose a separate name altogether wouldn't hurt.