Random wiki data loss (game detail tab)

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By DeF

I've noticed this on various game pages now.

First it was the Terranigma page which had its game detail section completely wiped aside from the alias, now I check the Metroid franchise page and see Metroid 1 and Super Metroid not listed. I go those pages and see the same thing. The game detail tab is completely blank, except for aliases. Oh, this also affects the concept, location, character and object tables. They're all COMPLETELY wiped as well.

I re-added the data but there's no telling which other pages are affected. Did somebody eat a hard drive or forget to connect a cable?!?!?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Don't edit any wiki pages. Doing so is destroying associations. This has been happening for days.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@hailinel: Can you replicate this? I've been doing some light editing but haven't figured out what triggers the data disappearance.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: It happened on pages (like the Super Metroid page, for example) that haven't been updated for months! (last edit was in October last year, or so)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hailinel

@rorie said:

@hailinel: Can you replicate this? I've been doing some light editing but haven't figured out what triggers the data disappearance.

I'm not sure what it is, either. All I know is that recently edited pages have been mysteriously losing their associations. It's making me not want to edit the wiki out of fear that I'll destroy swaths of work.

EDIT: So I finally decided to test it myself, and no, it doesn't seem that editing wiki pages has an effect. I only presumed that to be the case because of what I stated above. It seems that there's some sort of sporadic data loss affecting pages and I have no idea what the cause would be.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@def said:

@hailinel: It happened on pages (like the Super Metroid page, for example) that haven't been updated for months! (last edit was in October last year, or so)

I'm only going by what I've observed. Whatever the cause is, it's off-putting.

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By takashichea

I better check the Fire Emblem wiki page. I didn't back up any of the wiki pages.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Man, I wish I had learnt about this sooner... starting to notice a lot of pages that have suddenly lost all of their associations, though I have edited pages in the past only to not lose anything so, it must be random. And it's definitely still happening as well, as Uncharted 3's stuff was intact the last time I checked it out yesterday, only now it's gone. Plus, when I attempted to add everything back to Uncharted 3 (basic details, characters, concepts, objects) the fucking thing then gives me an error notice. Oh man oh man oh man, this shitting website.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

Man, I wish I had learnt about this sooner... starting to notice a lot of pages that have suddenly lost all of their associations, though I have edited pages in the past only to not lose anything so, it must be random. And it's definitely still happening as well, as Uncharted 3's stuff was intact the last time I checked it out yesterday, only now it's gone. Plus, when I attempted to add everything back to Uncharted 3 (basic details, characters, concepts, objects) the fucking thing then gives me an error notice. Oh man oh man oh man, this shitting website.

Yeah, it's weird. I have no idea if user submissions are the cause of this or not. It's impossible to tell.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Yummylee

I just noticed that this bug even carries over into erasing all of the Credits as well. Man, that is fucked. At this point it'd be easier if these pages could be taken back to an earlier stage at all? Characters & concepts ect. is one thing, but trying to remember all of the credits for each game this has affected will be a bloody nightmare.

The recent PAX panel made for a great way of reminding what GB can be like at its best. Which is good, because if you were to judge it based on the functionality of the site itself impressions would be less than kind... Or at least they should be, because this site has been on varying degrees of fire for what feels like forever now.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Yummylee

OK, these are the pages I've encountered that have been afflicted by this nuisance:

And that's just from a hasty 15 minute browse. I'm sure if you comb through the entire wiki there's who knows how many pages that have all gone through the same thing.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@behardy said:

THE SITE IS BREAKING!

DAVE!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Yummylee

See, this is my problem here as well. The fact that a large majority of people barely even seem to care in the first place is really unfortunate. GB must be one of the only few sites where such a large swath of its community will just shrug and/or joke about the fact that the site is continually broken in one way or the other. I mean I've also noticed recently that posts lend to lag now, or sometimes won't even post altogether; this inevitably lead to me accidentally erasing a post when I closed the tab by mistake, only there was no warning or anything... it just closed, complete with my post. My post which should have posted in the first place when I pressed the bloody post button. It was probably under the assumption that it had been posted, hence why there was no warning like usual.

But then, I guess that's where that often regurgitated saying of ''that's not what the site is about'' comes in. And I guess that's true... Giant Bomb is now strictly here to feed you more LPs, bombcasts, and QLs. All of its many site features are just some added fluff -- explaining why so many don't even exist anymore. After the PAX panel, which was again pretty great, I noticed plenty of comments about how GB is the best site ever ect. ect. Despite everything else, so long as they can pull off a great bit of video content then everything's dandy. Which is why I've always wondered how many people would still visit as often as they do if the site was literally just video and bombcasts. Like, no forums, no comments, no wiki tasks, no wiki, no lists, no user-reviews, no quests, no trivia, no user status-updates -- just video and bombcast updates. So many people evidently visit for the staff and only the staff that it makes me ask the question of why they bother keeping everything else up in the first place.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DeF

@yummylee: Yea I keep wondering about similar things. Ever since I got into wiki editing I've kept noticing how tons of stuff is broken and never gets fixed or is caught in an infinite state of "maybe/soon" as if nobody actually cares and the wiki, after being one of the big things at launch, just turned into an after thought. I'm just blindly guessing but I think it's probably a budget/resource issue because I doubt Jeff lost interest in pushing for the wiki and the corporate overlords probably don't see something like the wiki as important enough to dump a lot of manpower behind it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

@def: @yummylee:

I will throw my hat into the ring of "things are more broken than they should be." I mean, the ideal state of things is that they're not ever broken, but I'd prefer to submit captions and gallery associations once and have them stick. Also, to be able to get those images in there in the first place (in the right order) without twelve of them disappearing on you.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ok cool just saw this and was trying to update some info a couple of days ago with no avail. Guess I'll hold off till it's fixed.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

From the other topic:

we're actively working on this issue, the associations seem to have been deleted during a bad code push late last year. I think they should be working now, but doing some validation to make sure.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Even when this issue's 100% sorted, however, I presume we'll still have to re-add all of the associations and credits again?

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By mracoon

@yummylee: I believe so. We've had a lot of submissions in the queue recently that were people re-adding the sidebar info so progress is being made.

If we can collate all the pages that were wiped then I can pin it to this forum and we can work our way through.