#1 Posted by PufferFiz (1383 posts) -

So new forums are out and well I don't know what anything is. Before in the new post view it would say what game the topic was about. Now it is just a "(Game)" which is fine but only says who the original poster is not where the game is. So a person makes a post that says "Wow look at this sick feature" I have to open the topic up to see what game there are talking about. So now the Recent Post view is almost useless as there is no longer any context of the topics listed.

Am I the only one?

#2 Posted by 49th (2790 posts) -

I agree. I think it looks worse than before when it showed the OP next to recent post, and now you can't see where the thread is posted which is the most important part of a forum.

#3 Posted by Brodehouse (10104 posts) -

I hate to sound whiny or in a knee-jerk reaction declare something to suck, but...

Yeah it kinda sucks. Removes a lot of context from thread titles.

#4 Edited by ReCkLeSs_X (460 posts) -

Definitely agree here. Easier to see what the topic is linked to.

#5 Posted by Yummylee (22121 posts) -

lol giant bomb.

The entire site itself has only been getting more difficult to navigate with this latest stream of 'updates' it's gone through.

#6 Edited by PatODay (223 posts) -

I'm inclined to agree. Seems like for now it's up to the poster to include in the title what specific forum the topic is from.

#7 Posted by Optix12 (621 posts) -

ok so its not just me resizing chrome or accidentally clicking a view feature. Yea I instantly dont like it. I guess spoiler/general chats now also have to mention the game they are talking about in the actual title (which is a stupid system)

#8 Posted by CatsAkimbo (636 posts) -

Definitely removes the context from a ton of thread titles.

#9 Posted by Marokai (3078 posts) -

I don't even understand the reasoning behind such a change. Silly.

#10 Edited by ShaggE (6573 posts) -

My first reaction was "Oh hey, this isn't terrible. Different, but not bad. At least necro threads will be easier to spot."

Then I realized the forum identification was gone. Eep. Not good.

#11 Posted by ericdrum (405 posts) -

+1 from me. Please change it back guys.

#12 Posted by Pr1mus (3953 posts) -

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave, site's busted!

#13 Posted by TruthTellah (9363 posts) -

I would like to think this is just them rolling out a new version and they plan to put that back in. Maybe they just took it out temporarily because it was causing that weird glitch with notifications?

It's an important part of the forums; so, I imagine they'll have to put it back in soon.

#14 Posted by cmblasko (1293 posts) -

Is the idea to eventually replace (Game) with the actual game title, ie (Windjammers)? I think that would be fine.

#15 Posted by Tajasaurus (903 posts) -

yeah. I think it could be fixed by just adding; by [user] in [forum] on [date], but I'm not computer wizard so I don't know

#16 Posted by FunkyS (107 posts) -

Usually they only remove forums on the front page to make the site run better when things are going wonky. I'm sure it'll be back.

#17 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

oh wait maybe (Game) is just a placeholder and it's supposed to say ([name of game])

If so then I take it all back, the updated GB is awesome..

..assuming this change will actually come true. Make it happen please!

#18 Edited by Monkeyman04 (1158 posts) -

@funkys said:

Usually they only remove forums on the front page to make the site run better when things are going wonky. I'm sure it'll be back.

They don't mean the front page thing, they mean on the main page of the forums when someone makes a topic it shows what section it is in ( general, off-topic, bug reporting, *insert game name here*) under the title of the topic.

#19 Posted by TruthTellah (9363 posts) -

@egg said:

oh wait maybe (Game) is just a placeholder and it's supposed to say ([name of game])

I'm guessing that's exactly it.

#20 Edited by zombiepenguin9 (534 posts) -

Yeah, this is the one change that doesn't seem to make anything better or easier to use. I hope it's just temporary.

#21 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4856 posts) -

I'm more vexed that they still can't implement a link to the original post someone is quoting/replying to. It sure would make following conversations a lot easier.

#22 Posted by golguin (3981 posts) -

The forum name would have to come back. How else are you going to know what the thread is about unless you include that info on the name?

#23 Posted by ZolRoyce (746 posts) -

@pufferfiz: I agree that it is annoying, hopefully it is a temporary thing, but, and this might just be with firefox if I hover over the topics name I can see what the game will be. It's still annoying, but saves me from clicking on it at least to figure everything out.

So for instance for the new thread that was just made for dark souls when I just hover over it I get this:

http://www.giantbomb.com/dark-souls/3030-32697/forums/2-questions-for-the-pc-port-1471101/#1

etc.

#24 Posted by Bollard (5688 posts) -

Something about the way it looks makes it really hard to read also. And notifications are broken, they take me to the wiki page instead of the thread my post was in.

#25 Posted by believer258 (12019 posts) -

@egg said:

I'm guessing that's exactly it.

I hope not, that would look extremely messy.

In the bug reporting thread, this was brought up and I think someone said they were going to be restored.

#26 Posted by flasaltine (1684 posts) -

Yeah they removed that and then they added a bunch of information below each thread title instead of it being to the side like before. Now it is just hard to read and find threads.

#27 Posted by Sinusoidal (1680 posts) -

Agreed!

#28 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (534 posts) -

@bollard said:

Something about the way it looks makes it really hard to read also. And notifications are broken, they take me to the wiki page instead of the thread my post was in.

Do you think it's the red OP user name? It seems like the thread title being in black and the OP name being in red confuses the eyes.

#29 Posted by EuanDewar (5043 posts) -

I don't know why exactly but my eyes look at I don't like. That's about as specific as I can get with my feedback.

#30 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3844 posts) -

[edit] And while you're at it, fix the giant video embeds. Smaller videos really should at least be an option.

#31 Posted by Zacagawea (1601 posts) -

Yes! What/why the fuck? It's the first thing I noticed.

#32 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3440 posts) -

Oh man that's the redesign? Thought it was a wonky chrome... Maybe it's a temporary change...

#33 Posted by cloudymusic (1182 posts) -

FWIW, the subforum titles still show up on the mobile/compact layout.

But yes, I'd consider the subforum labels to be one of the most essential pieces of information when I'm browsing the latest threads list.

#34 Posted by Irvandus (2882 posts) -

Yeah it's pretty terrible. I thought it was a bug at first too.

#35 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3844 posts) -

Well, that was fast. Seems to be back to normal already. Thank you, whoever you are.

#36 Posted by flasaltine (1684 posts) -

Oh thank god the forums are back.

#37 Posted by TruthTellah (9363 posts) -

Woohoo! The forum is legible again! :D

Maybe it was just a weird glitch.

#38 Posted by BeachThunder (12118 posts) -

Yay, it's back.

#39 Posted by Rorie (3128 posts) -

This wasn't intentional.

Staff
#40 Edited by Snail (8622 posts) -

@rorie: Are the parenthesised labels (e.g. "(Game)"; "(Concept)") at the end of the thread titles intentional?

I'm not a fan of that addition, as I think it makes the forums less legible and more cluttered, while not really adding anything informative to them.

#41 Posted by Rorie (3128 posts) -

@snail said:

@rorie: Are the parenthesised labels (e.g. "(Game)"; "(Concept)") at the end of the thread titles intentional?

I'm not a fan of that addition, as I think it makes the forums less legible and more cluttered, while not really adding anything informative to them.

Not entirely sure but I agree that they're not very necessary.

Staff
#42 Edited by PufferFiz (1383 posts) -

woooooooo! :)

#43 Posted by TruthTellah (9363 posts) -

@rorie said:

This wasn't intentional.

Oh thank goodness. I thought one of the designers had gone a little coocoo for cocoa puffs.

Now, if the background of the forums suddenly became random pictures of puppies, that wouldn't be too bad...

#44 Posted by Bollard (5688 posts) -

@rorie said:

@snail said:

Not entirely sure but I agree that they're not very necessary.

Good to hear that too. Thanks Top Men wherever you are!