#1 Posted by Bollard (6388 posts) -

Multiple times recently I've started to notice this happening:

Someone replying to someone else in a thread I commented in, but me recieving a PM saying I was being replied to. Using Chrome 21 on Win7 64bit. Anyone else seen this?

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (16297 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

Multiple times recently I've started to notice this happening:

Someone replying to someone else in a thread I commented in, but me recieving a PM saying I was being replied to. Using Chrome 21 on Win7 64bit. Anyone else seen this?

Yeah, I've gotten that before. Seems odd but hey...whatever.

#3 Posted by believer258 (12795 posts) -

Yes, the whole reply messages thing seems to be going a bit funky every now and then. A few days ago I got a reply message from a thread that I hadn't even commented in, and the message said I'd been quoted in the first post!

#4 Posted by Bollard (6388 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Yeah it's only bothering me cause it's happened like 3 times in the past couple of days.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

I think they @replied you at some point in that message, but deleted it to do it for somebody else. As far as I can tell, the glitch is that while the text is deleted, the "hey, PM this guy" code isn't.

#6 Posted by ZombiePie (6192 posts) -

So what sometimes happens is a user wants to @reply a user within a quote but does not wish to locate the original comment. They'll often select the "quote" option and then delete everything that isn't the username they wish to direct their @reply towards. The side effect is that all users that are included in the original quote are still flagged as recipients for the comment and as such receive a PM for the new comment even if the comment is not intended for them.

#7 Posted by Slag (5535 posts) -

@ZombiePie said:

So what sometimes happens is a user wants to @reply a user within a quote but does not wish to locate the original comment. They'll often select the "quote" option and then delete everything that isn't the username they wish to direct their @reply towards. The side effect is that all users that are included in the original quote are still flagged as recipients for the comment and as such receive a PM for the new comment even if the comment is not intended for them.

Oh

oops my bad. I think I just did that.

#8 Posted by Hunter5024 (6358 posts) -

Well I'm a dick! I do this all of the time. Sorry everybody, I'm pretty sure there have been people in this very thread I did that too.

#9 Posted by Milkman (17893 posts) -

That just means that someone originally hit the reply or quote button and then deleted your name and/or message.

#10 Posted by Bollard (6388 posts) -

@ZombiePie said:

I had a feeling it could have been this. Thanks for the explanation.