@ replies sending PM's to the wrong people?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Bollard

Multiple times recently I've started to notice this happening:

No Caption Provided

Someone replying to someone else in a thread I commented in, but me recieving a PM saying I was being replied to. Using Chrome 21 on Win7 64bit. Anyone else seen this?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

@Chavtheworld said:

Multiple times recently I've started to notice this happening:

No Caption Provided

Someone replying to someone else in a thread I commented in, but me recieving a PM saying I was being replied to. Using Chrome 21 on Win7 64bit. Anyone else seen this?

Yeah, I've gotten that before. Seems odd but hey...whatever.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

Yes, the whole reply messages thing seems to be going a bit funky every now and then. A few days ago I got a reply message from a thread that I hadn't even commented in, and the message said I'd been quoted in the first post!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bollard

@Demoskinos: Yeah it's only bothering me cause it's happened like 3 times in the past couple of days.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

I think they @replied you at some point in that message, but deleted it to do it for somebody else. As far as I can tell, the glitch is that while the text is deleted, the "hey, PM this guy" code isn't.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By ZombiePie

So what sometimes happens is a user wants to @reply a user within a quote but does not wish to locate the original comment. They'll often select the "quote" option and then delete everything that isn't the username they wish to direct their @reply towards. The side effect is that all users that are included in the original quote are still flagged as recipients for the comment and as such receive a PM for the new comment even if the comment is not intended for them.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#7  Edited By Slag

@ZombiePie said:

So what sometimes happens is a user wants to @reply a user within a quote but does not wish to locate the original comment. They'll often select the "quote" option and then delete everything that isn't the username they wish to direct their @reply towards. The side effect is that all users that are included in the original quote are still flagged as recipients for the comment and as such receive a PM for the new comment even if the comment is not intended for them.

Oh

oops my bad. I think I just did that.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Hunter5024

Well I'm a dick! I do this all of the time. Sorry everybody, I'm pretty sure there have been people in this very thread I did that too.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Milkman

That just means that someone originally hit the reply or quote button and then deleted your name and/or message.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bollard

@ZombiePie said:

I had a feeling it could have been this. Thanks for the explanation.