Ridiculously slow transfer speeds from GB's content server!

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By kmg90

You know that new host that was supposedly going to provide better connections and transfer speeds for all the media content of Giant Bomb? It sucks, its the same host (akamai) that the PSN uses for its content delivery and we all know how everyone thinks of it's transfer speeds.

Ever since rolling over to the new host, I've had nothing but problems with video downloads and having a reliable download speed, but now I can't even download a 90MB mp3 in a reasonable time! I SHOULD NOT have to wait 30 minutes for a podcast to download, currently I'm getting 30KB/s on downloading the newest podcast! What is this 2001?!

No Caption Provided

These connection issues are not a problem that is isolated to my home internet connection, on my college's Internet2 (only 2-3 hops to giant bomb's host provider) network connection I rarely seen download speeds above 2MB/s while I was getting 5MB/s+ when GB was hosted off the AWS servers!

Update: I've done some tests over my college network, still getting only 1.3-2.0 MBp/s at most...

No Caption Provided

tracert:

Tracing route to a1189.g2.akamai.net [205.213.110.24]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.2.255.253

2 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 198.150.66.1

3 6 ms 2 ms 2 ms r-greenbay-hub-ge-1-0-0-679.wiscnet.net [140.189.140.89]

4 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms r-uwmadison-isp-xe-8-1-0-3983.wiscnet.net [140.189.8.65]

5 6 ms 5 ms 6 ms 205.213.110.24

Trace complete.

SWITCH TO A DIFFERENT NETWORK HOST, Akamai is a joke compared to other content distributors!

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

Right this second I am sitting at Starbucks on a crappy acer $300 netbook. after reading this post a second ago, I downloaded the kingdom rush trailer. It down loaded in about a minuet and a half.

I got about 1mb/s. Thats about what i get at home.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By GS_Dan

I have been having issues with HD video over the past couple of days, this might be the cause...

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to feel awesome when I could get my goGator download client to tell me that it would take 12 hours to download a 300meg demo of a game I might not even like. Man.

drshilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By drshilliams

Same, I'm unable to stream HD content without continual buffering. On a 20Mb connection in the UK, getting a 9Mb download on speedtest with a US based server.

Datajack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Datajack

How long have you been experiencing these buffering issues? Noticed anything fullscreened on site would have continuous buffering issues for about 1-2 weeks now.

drshilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By drshilliams

Yeah probably about that timeframe. Anything live from Twitch is fine to stream so I'm guessing it's a Giant Bomb issue. Being in Europe probably doesn't help though.

Avatar image for lumberingjackal
lumberingjackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lumberingjackal

Lots of buffering recently here as well.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Quarters

I usually watch progressive videos, and they've been loading extremely slow the last couple of days. Takes several minutes(up to ten) just to load a minute or two of the video. And that's not even on HD.

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here. Right now I can't stream anything without buffering from hell, and download speeds are around 170 KB/s

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dagbiker

You people are all crazy, I only have problems when im playing Sim City, or some other high networking game, and even then I get great speeds until I start downloading something else, at like half a meg a second.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kidman

Same here, although it's not THAT bad. I'm pulling like 10mbits/s. I used to be able to max out my connection at 3 times that.

marcius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ditto. I've seem to be getting a 30kb/s to around 120mb/s when downloading videos from GB. This means I can't watching anything on GB unless it's Youtube (or just wait like 16hours to download a HD video). I'm have an 100mbps connection and I'm also located in Singapore if it matters. I shouldn't have such terrible download speeds.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I download stuff from GB as fast as my internet let's me. And without any spikes (as far as I'm aware).

marcius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By marcius

Update: Nothing has changed.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By bibamatt

Since the site changeover, video streaming just pretty much doesn't work for me. It's *so* slow. If I manage to get past the video to start, it stops to buffer every ten seconds or so. Cancelled my premium membership as the site is more-or-less broken for me. Don't know if its a problem my end or not, but I didn't ever have one problem with the old site.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#17  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

I only noticed my speed getting lower when I download a lot of content from GB. Like when I was downloading most of the p4 endurance run my wait time eventually got to a hour or more for a file that was about the same size.

jaredog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jaredog

Mine had been working fine since the changeover (it was almost unusable before that) until a couple of days ago. Now, I can't stream videos without constant buffering (like every 7 seconds or so). I tried downloading one instead and was getting really low download speeds. Did a speedtest and I'm getting 12M down.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ever since the switch my speeds aren't so much slower as they are incredibly uneven. One day I might download 5MB/s and the next day it might be a whopping 50KB/s.

KJ869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KJ869

Im having problems with hd streams for last few weeks, but i can still stream progressive high decently, but dowload speeds have gotten worse and worse and are now down to 105KB/s so downloading even medium version of Wensdayshow for example takes me 2h.

Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kandycane2029

I'm rocking embarrassingly slow internet (I live in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico), and I've been having issues watching any video content compared to the old site. Luckily I renewed my sub and just download stuff, but sometimes I just want to watch a vid while I'm grabbing a munch.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I have also been having some problems while watching HD videos. It's a bit on and off though, so sometimes I don't get any buffering issues. But alot of the times It's really stuttery while watching HD.

I'm in Denmark on a 10 Mbps connection.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

It's awful. The connection speed is highly unstable. Switch to whatever Twitch is using.

marcius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By marcius

Anyone know any workarounds?

jynxdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a real bummer, I always download subscriber only content because it doesn't stream well to Australia.

Right now I am getting 560 Kbps :(

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By selbie

This is a real bummer, I always download subscriber only content because it doesn't stream well to Australia.

Right now I am getting 560 Kbps :(

Mine too. Progressive and streaming settings can both be unwatchable for me so I have to download.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By supamon

It's near impossible for me to watch any content on GB after the change. I always use youtube and twitch now if the option is there.

jynxdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hitting 2 Mbps now like usual, must have been an international link issue ~ although I saw no reports.

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By aceofspudz

@supamon said:

It's near impossible for me to watch any content on GB after the change. I always use youtube and twitch now if the option is there.

Same here. Downloading premium content seems to be practically impossible and I'm forced to use Youtube for their other content. This problem isn't universal to all users--what's the deal? I live in Texas.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I used to have this problem with the old servers. The new ones are great for me.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#31  Edited By bibamatt

Does the Bombcast download from the GB servers (if I'm, for example using an iPhone podcast app to download it)? Because the Bombcast (specifically the Bombcast) is very slow downloading for me. I'll queue up all my podcast downloads in the morning and they'll all come down fast through my 18mbps Internet until the queue gets to the Bombcast. It takes maybe 30/40 minutes to download it. As with the video player problems, I don't have this issue with any other podcast that I download.

Aarglefarg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Aarglefarg

It's very inconsistent. I started two 1.3 GB downloads just seconds apart, at about 5:30pm. It finished downloading the first at 6:04pm, and the second is still downloading at 7:48pm (1.2 GB downloaded, saying it will take another 50 minutes for the remainder).

Nahogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nahogen

100 mbit here, videos often stop downloading after 5 minutes and then they just won't go any further. But the site itself loads fast.

EDIT: Location Sweden

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By rflx

I've already posted in this thread, but that was about a month ago, and there's still no change. I can very rarely watch content without there being buffering, and it's been like that ever since even before the launch of the new site.

Is anything being done about it?

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here, since the new site went up the content delivery speed is crap for me, watching via normal streaming is night impossible, it stops to buffer every 10 second or so... progressive is better since I can just let it sit to buffer for like 20 minutes before watching... HTML5 works kinda ok sometimes.

Before the new site it worked flawlessly

Of course I'm only considering the HD feeds.

I'm guessing they probably changed their CDN? or at least their CDN contract perhaps?

I'm in Brazil.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Arabes

I have the same issue. Even SD videos need constant buffering on progressive and streaming is the same. Sometimes it will get to a couple of minutes and then just stop, it won't play any more no matter how long I leave it. It's been happening for about 4 weeks or so, I'm not sure. It's definitely not on my end because I can watch videos on other sites fine. I'm Ireland.

JesperC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Same issue here. Extremely inconsistent loading times on videos. It's especially troublesome on the premium videos where watching through youtube is not an option.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4