#1 Edited by Chaser324 (6531 posts) -

I had two unread PMs this morning, and after checking them, I've been seeing my unread PM count flipping back and forth between two and zero.

EDIT: Title changed - Actually there seems to just be a lot of general instability on the site right now. Slow page loads. Occasional 404/500 errors. I've also had a few PM and forum replies vanish into the internet ether after clicking the submit button.

#2 Posted by Rorie (2892 posts) -

@chaser324: Yep, it's generally pretty wonky. Skeleton crew on the engineering staff so it may persist into tomorrow, unfortunately.

Staff
#3 Posted by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

Damn skeletons should leave the site alone, just because it's Halloween...

#4 Posted by jimmyfenix (3854 posts) -

The site is really unresponsive for me as well. Lots of 404 errors and it says that Patrick's Worth Reading article is live!?!

#5 Posted by Morningstar (2158 posts) -

And forum topics have sometimes more posts than it says on the frontpage or the forum page.

#6 Edited by Nictel (2412 posts) -

Is it the increase in visitors because of the approaching new console releases? Other videogame related websites seem to be struggling too.

#7 Posted by Chaser324 (6531 posts) -

@morningstar said:

And forum topics have sometimes more posts than it says on the frontpage or the forum page.

I don't know that this is actually a new thing, and in fact it might actually be intentional. The front page likely gets far more hits than the forum page, and what you're seeing is probably the result of some necessary caching to reduce server load.

#8 Edited by Pie (7098 posts) -

Probably because Sony has seen that we are getting close to the truth in the sessler thread and are getting ready to DDOS Giant Bomb

#9 Posted by Rorie (2892 posts) -

@nictel said:

Is it the increase in visitors because of the approaching new console releases? Other videogame related websites seem to be struggling too.

I don't think it's anything to do with increased server load; just wonky servers to begin with. Unfortunately our server ops guy is out sick, but we're doing what we can.

Staff
#10 Edited by Morningstar (2158 posts) -

@chaser324 said:

@morningstar said:

I don't know that this is actually a new thing, and in fact it might actually be intentional. The front page likely gets far more hits than the forum page, and what you're seeing is probably the result of some necessary caching to reduce server load.

What I meant, was that sometimes a topic may say f.eks. 100 posts, and when you click on the topic it contains far more than 100 posts. One current example is the Sessler twitter debacle topic, it says on the forum it has 699 posts. If I click the topic however, it has far more than 800 posts.

My explanation would be better if I spoke English of course =)