#1 Posted by chris24680 (16 posts) -

Hi,

For some reason the site is a giant resource hog on my computer. It’s been happening for a while now. As soon as I enter my CPU usage for chrome will jump from about 2-4% to 25% which sets the fans on my laptop going. The site will also hog more and more memory until it has about 400000k at which point the site becomes pretty much unresponsive.

This happens even when I just have a GiantBomb tab open in the background and I’m not actually using it.

I’m running:

Chrome Browser

Windows 7

CORE i5

6GB ram

If any more info is needed I’ll be happy to give it.

#2 Edited by Sweep (8861 posts) -

Weird.

If the site gets to a point where it's unusable for you, you can also contact us via email at support@giantbomb.com

#3 Edited by chris24680 (16 posts) -

@sweep: Will do, its been happening for a while, but I usually download the videos so its not a problem. It gets bad if I try to read an article or the forums, I had to copy this in from word to stop it locking up.

Is there any more info I should put in the email that would be helpful?

#4 Posted by AMyggen (3058 posts) -

So strange, the site barely registers on my CPU usage.

#5 Edited by MB (12418 posts) -

This is happening while you're watching videos on the site? Sounds like it may be a Flash issue..give HTML5 a shot.

#6 Posted by Sweep (8861 posts) -

@chris24680: Might be worth mentioning what version of Chrome and Windows 7 you are running. Have you tried an alternative browser? It sounds like you have some weird cookies or cache settings for the site or something, but that's just a guess. Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot.

Shoot off an email to support Rorie will pass it along to the engineers.

x

#7 Posted by InsaneMatt (27 posts) -

Very odd as I'm running an anti-virus scan and have several tabs open (one of which is Netflix on another monitor) and I'm barely hitting 25% myself.

If you're using Chrome's 'cloud settings' feature, you could always delete your account off your machine and re-link it (your settings, bookmarks and extensions will be pulled from the cloud).
It might fix it, assuming it's a Chrome malfunction.

#8 Posted by chris24680 (16 posts) -

@mb: No it's just when the site is open, I don't really use the video player.

#9 Posted by r3d_zombie (31 posts) -

as others have mentioned, try the site through FF, IE or any alternative browser to see if the problem persists. Also check your Crome extensions for anything unwanted

#10 Posted by Nux (2360 posts) -
@mb said:

This is happening while you're watching videos on the site? Sounds like it may be a Flash issue..give HTML5 a shot.

I was having this exact problem whenever I would watch anything on this site. The whole HTML5 thing worked.

#11 Posted by sarahsdad (1092 posts) -

@chris24680: You might check if it's pre-loading pages; if chrome is trying to cache all the linked pages you might go to from the GB home page, that could be bogging it down. There's a description of how to turn it off here:

http://www.technipages.com/google-chrome-prefetch

#12 Posted by Excast (935 posts) -

I just wanted to say thanks for the HTML5 suggestion. I'd been noticing that my CPU would routinely jump to 95% or more if I tried watching a video in filled browser mode. After switching to HTML5 I am only seeing around 10% CPU usage. Not sure what exactly is causing the massive difference, but glad to see it nonetheless.

#13 Posted by mrpibb (470 posts) -

@chris24680: please keep us up to date on the solution, we're tracking this seriously as we have lightened up the pages in recent weeks.

#15 Posted by chris24680 (16 posts) -

@mrpibb: I think I've worked out what was causing the problem. The problem only occurs when I have both the adblock and after the deadline chrome extensions are enabled at the same time and only on giant bomb. If I whitelist the site on adblock (which I thought I already had) or disable one of those two extensions the problem goes away, which is strange.

#17 Posted by chris24680 (16 posts) -

@mrpibb: It seems like I was wrong, I still get the problem even with those turned off.

#18 Posted by GaspoweR (3041 posts) -

@chris24680: Have you tried a different browser? Does it still happen if you use a different one?

#19 Posted by Kidavenger (3556 posts) -

forums are busted

#20 Posted by Fattony12000 (7416 posts) -

Yup, they're super fucked.

#21 Posted by Fattony12000 (7416 posts) -

test test

Super. SUPER. Fucked.

#22 Posted by danlongman (108 posts) -

testing

#23 Posted by Steadying (1249 posts) -

Ah, lol, I thought it was weird no one said anything for 3 hours.

#24 Posted by Aegon (5639 posts) -

Patrick just mentioned that the problem is with a "data centre". So the devs are powerless when it comes to fixing this problem. It seems like the WYSIWYG problem is just something on top of that.

Would've been appreciated if the devs reached out somehow via these top few threads and cleared things up.

#25 Posted by Nightriff (5085 posts) -

Real quiet Friday for GB, I expect that next Friday, not this one.

#26 Posted by Brodehouse (9950 posts) -

Dave, site's busted.

Site's busted, Dave.

#27 Posted by mrpibb (470 posts) -

sorry all, we had a replication issue (so even if i posted, nobody would see it). Now resolved and working w/ the operations guys to make sure it gets picked up earlier. As far as the WYSIWYG issue, we'll get it resolved in the next 3-4 hours (it was ready yesterday but got held back due to a bug somebody added in that we caught before release).