• 75 results
brandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey duders,

First I want to officially say hello to you all! Brandon here, for those of you that may not know who I am. I have been the one working along side Alexis for the past year and a half and have mainly been responsible for GameSpot's site design. Now that cool guy Alexis decided to leave us, I will be the one taking over design over here at CBS. If you guys notice any display bugs, you can go ahead and ping me directly @brandon

I also wanted to give you all an update on a code push we just had, some of you may or may not have noticed a slight update to the sites header. Probably also wondering where your theme switcher disappeared too (if you're logged in). We've made some changes to clean up that area of the site and you'll now find it underneath your avatar dropdown, along with most of your commonly used navigation elements. Other than that, should be nothing too notable but wanted to give you duders a heads up.

Feel free to hit me up regarding any problems you may be experiencing.

Brandon

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi

I got a notification and instead of it saying I have 1 it said 99+.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This doesn't have to do with the header, but with the new little tweaks everything on the coming up table has a premium tag to it.

brandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crono: The number will show blank if you have no new messages.

@corevi: You may have 99+ unread notifications. Could you check? if not then something else is up

brandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyman04: Thats new too, not everything will be premium in that pod. Looks weird right now because everything at the moment coming up will be premium.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brandon: I definitely do not have 99+ unread notifications.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@brandon: Even the new quick look? When did they start becoming premium?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Tennmuerti

@brandon: There is no longer a counter for new notifications?

I used it all the time to see at a glance if anyone replied to any of my comments directly or followed posters made any blogs. Nor do past notifications that have been read grey out. A significant bit of functionality I used on the site is gone? Kind of upset right now tbh.

Edit: Ok i see it was answered above while i was typing this up. nvm

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By conmulligan

The header changes look sharp. This is nitpicky, but it's a bit too easy to accidentally dismiss the messages/notifications popovers when mousing down from the icons. This is consistent with the old header too, so it's nothing new.

I did notice a small CSS issue on the profile page:

No Caption Provided

This was in Safari 8.0 on Yosemite.

brandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By brandon

@monkeyman04: The logic is busted, we just found the bug. It's not premium.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Thanks Brandon!

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By hassun

Not a fan of the spacing on the envelope/flag part of the header, otherwise it seems good to me. I especially like the yellow premium icons on videos.

No Caption Provided

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

like the changes and the even more clear sign of premium stuff

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By butano

@hassun said:

Not a fan of the spacing on the envelope/flag part of the header, otherwise it seems good to me. I like the yellow premium icons on videos.

No Caption Provided

Feel the same way about the spacing between the two. I think it should be just a bit wider apart from each other, but other than that, the new design looks slick!

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By PimblyCharles

@butano said:

@hassun said:

Not a fan of the spacing on the envelope/flag part of the header, otherwise it seems good to me. I like the yellow premium icons on videos.

No Caption Provided

Feel the same way about the spacing between the two. I think it should be just a bit wider apart from each other, but other than that, the new design looks slick!

I didn't feel the notification and mail icons needed to be adjusted at all. Don't like the new layout and size difference. The yellow premium icons are okay though. It's hard to find a suitable color that goes well with black, white and red.

flashx_454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By flashx_454

I'm noticing a weird issue with latest Firefox beta on win7 x64 the Giant Bomb logo is gone

No Caption Provided

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Hello, Brandon! I like what I've seen of the new layout so far, though I haven't seen any different permutations of my mail/notifications yet.

tigerthecat5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After this update I started having a problem getting any drop down menus to show up in chrome. I tried restarting chrome and clearing my browsing data with no luck. It worked fine in IE but not chrome. Anyone else having this issue?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

@butano said:

@hassun said:

No Caption Provided

I didn't feel the notification and mail icons needed to be adjusted at all. Don't like the new layout and size difference. The yellow premium icons are okay though. It's hard to find a suitable color that goes well with black, white and red.

Yeah, I prefered the way it was before too.

peakborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, Brandon, just wanted to chime in and say really like the new signage on items, first thing that caught my eye was the yellow subscriber podcast mark on Alt-F1.

I took me a confused moment to find the change colour scheme button though. Aside from that I'm liking it, thanks.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@brandon said:

@corevi: You may have 99+ unread notifications. Could you check? if not then something else is up

I had the same issue, although mine was PMs. I checked the inbox nothing showed up as new and it went away

puppies4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After this update I started having a problem getting any drop down menus to show up in chrome. I tried restarting chrome and clearing my browsing data with no luck. It worked fine in IE but not chrome. Anyone else having this issue?

What is your Chrome version and OS?

tigerthecat5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@corevi: I remember after the last site redisign a lot of people complained the header saying they had unread messages when they didn't. Turned out that the very first messages they had were now marked as unread, and since they were only looking at the new messages they weren't seeing them. Have you tried checking every single notification to see if old ones are showing up as unread?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hassun
No Caption Provided

A good example where the spacing becomes a problem. The flag gets nearly completely obscured.

EDIT: I guess it doesn't matter as much since the 99+ belongs to the flag part but the spacing still doesn't really seem optimal.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: I have. When I got the notification that you mentioned me it showed up as 99+ then when I clicked it it went back down to 0.

brandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: we'll look into it. you should still get the dropdown, do you not?

puppies4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

I got a notification and instead of it saying I have 1 it said 99+.

@slag said:

@brandon said:

I had the same issue, although mine was PMs. I checked the inbox nothing showed up as new and it went away

Yeah this is screwy, sorry guys, fix coming.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By PimblyCharles

Just noticed the black/white theme option is gone now too. Was that moved somewhere else?

EDIT: Found it in the drop down under the avatar.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Corevi
@pimblycharles said:

Just noticed the black/white theme option is gone now too. Was that moved somewhere else?

You have to hover over your picture in the top right and it will open a drop down menu where the theme selector is.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hassun

@brandon: It seems that I just wasn't able to hover over the flag. They work when there is nothing covering it I just didn't aim at the right spot I suppose.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Looks good! A bit strange to see PMs and Notifications switched around, but it's no biggie.

brandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: thanks, that's good to know.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@puppies4life: I know you're already aware, but just thought I'd let you know I also now have the 99+ notifications bug.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

@brandon: Just some feedback. The cleanup of the header seems incompatible with the fact that now the text within the dropdown box is now smaller. Seems antithetical to making the buttons themselves bigger, no? It's far less readable and useful. Cutting the number of notifications in half and increasing the pt size of the text to fill the same size would be much better.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Legion_

@jeust said:

@pimblycharles said:

@butano said:

@hassun said:

No Caption Provided

Yeah, I prefered the way it was before too.

Important stuff.

I think this looks super good. Using latest versions of Chrome and OSX.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never been popular enough to have 99+ unread notifications.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sinusoidal

The notification icons in the drop down menu are huge. Ridiculously huge.

Wait, I just checked, and it's fixed.... never mind.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FunkyHugo

Hey @brandon, everything's working fine over here. Appreciate the work you do.

puppies4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

@puppies4life: I know you're already aware, but just thought I'd let you know I also now have the 99+ notifications bug.

Thanks for the heads up, you shouldn't be seeing the 99+ icon anymore (unless you have a ton of notifications of course).

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Dale

@Brandon: It's somewhat jacked in IE9 (which I'm stuck with at work).

No Caption Provided

The general layout issue isn't the big problem though. The real issue is that the menu hovers activate if the cursor is anywhere within the area where the menu would appear.

This means that if I try to watch any of the site's videos, I can't click play as the forum menu activates and obscures it.

I can work around that by resizing into the mobile view first, but wondered if this was fixable.

EDIT: Playing with it some more, the forum menu takes focus when I'm trying to select any of the profile dropdown - meaning, I can't switch styles or log out.

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By Griffinmills

I'm old and fear change... but I can probably get used to this.

Not a fan of the avatar pic or whatever it is called being squished down to fit the size of the envelope and flag. Makes mine look weird, minor gripe though.

Did the font for stuff like Wiki, Videos, News etc. change? It looks blurry and hard to read suddenly. Firefox 32.0.3 user. Seems like it's been slightly squished together and given some weird anti aliasing or something. Maybe it was always like that? Edit: Actually, it looks different from the picture in the post above mine, which looks more like how I remember, more legible. Edit2: Something changed, it looks normal again. Just gonna hide my shame here a bit.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@brandon: As a side question, are there any future plans for overhauling the mobile version of the site? I know that it's meant to scale from a full browser version but maybe there are some plans to get the forums working a bit better with quotes and better replies etc?

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there any chance of us finally getting the return of the login behaviour that keeps us on the page we were viewing rather than kicking us back to the front page?