#1 Posted by cmblasko (1350 posts) -

Recently, I've noticed that while browsing the forums on my iPhone I get taken to a (seemingly random) game's product page in the App Store. It seems to happen when a page finishes loading. I am wondering if this is some kind of pop-up ad; or maybe I am accidentally clicking on banners? The games I am being linked to in the App Store don't seem to be related to the banners on the page so I don't think that is the case. If it is not site-related, do I somehow have some sort of malicious software operating on my phone?

Is this happening to anyone else?

#2 Posted by Chaser324 (6744 posts) -

Does this occur only when signed out?

I typically only browse while signed in (premium member, no ads), and I haven't noticed anything like this.

#3 Posted by cmblasko (1350 posts) -

I typically only browse while signed in (premium member, no ads), and I haven't noticed anything like this.

Seems like you're right; I was browsing while logged out when I was having these issues. I just signed in and browsed for a short while and did not experience the issue.

Still, if that is expected behavior, it is an egregious and intrusive way of advertising. If I didn't have a premium account there would be no way I would continue to use the site on my phone if I had to deal with random interruptions like that.

#4 Posted by Levius (1230 posts) -

I've seen this sort of thing happen on more disreputable sites, so it could be happening here. I would be kinda disappointed if it was though.

#5 Posted by conmulligan (769 posts) -

@cmblasko said:

@chaser324 said:

Seems like you're right; I was browsing while logged out when I was having these issues. I just signed in and browsed for a short while and did not experience the issue.

Still, if that is expected behavior, it is an egregious and intrusive way of advertising. If I didn't have a premium account there would be no way I would continue to use the site on my phone if I had to deal with random interruptions like that.

Someone brought this up with Patrick on Twitter a while ago. I think he said would get someone to look into it. It's definitely not expected behaviour, just some advertisers being extra shitty.

#6 Posted by dudeglove (8295 posts) -

I can't say it's happened with Giant Bomb on my iPad or iPhone, but it's certainly happened to me on other sites.

#7 Posted by Rorie (2987 posts) -

I've heard some stories about this but haven't been able to verify it myself since Apple products give me a rash. If you see this happen again, please take a screenshot of the app that you're being redirected to, and if you can see the ad on the GB page, a screenshot of that would be handy as well. Sorry for the trouble; we definitely don't want this to happen.

Staff
#8 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

Sounds like a really shitty ad. I've seen some really shitty ads on Android, and I assume they also exist on iOS.

#9 Posted by liquiddragon (271 posts) -

This happens to me too...not cool

#10 Edited by liquiddragon (271 posts) -

here is screenshots of the app (although I've been redirected to other apps as well i,e, candy crush, texas holdem) and ads