Subscription set to expire now set to renew automatically.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

My current premium subscription was set to expire (i cancelled it right after subscribing so it wouldn't renew automatically) and everything was in order until the recent changes to the subscription service.

After the week or two not being able to extend/renew/whatever while the engineers were working out some issues (before the Big Live) it now seems like subscriptions that were previously set to expire are now flagged for automatic renewal.

Heads up for anyone who has a subscription that they don't want to renew and had previously cancelled, you may want to double check to make sure it's still set to expire.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By pr1mus

I'm gonna give them the benefit of a doubt and say it's an honest mistake. They did migrate their payment system recently.

It's still a major problem though. I only found out because i was curious when my subscription was supposed to end since i expected it to end after Mother's day since i subbed last year during the Mother's Day promotion. I got lucky because it was going to renew in 3 days.

I don't come to the site anymore and likely wouldn't have found out about the yearly charge until the next time i looked at my credit card statement which might not have been for another month since i never use the thing anyway. I can imagine it being difficult to have a yearly subscription cancelled and refunded after a month has passed...

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@speedmarque: Whoa, there. I think you jumped OVER a few conclusions before reaching that one.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6 MattyFTM  Moderator

@speedmarque: That's how it has always worked. It is setup to auto renew, but you can cancel auto-renewal at any time. Nothing has changed on that front.

This issue raised here is that people who previously canceled their auto-renewal have found that it is scheduled for renewal again. That's clearly a bug.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not a change, they've always auto-renewed. At least since I signed up last Autumn. Second, how are they taking away your ability to capitalize on sales? When a sale of "$35 for yearly subscription" appears for example, premiums can take advantage just as others can, as far as I know. You'll just be paying for a year following your current subscription period.

Finally, they do not "hold your money in advance", they renew subscriptions upon your period ending, not upon it starting (which makes no sense). Meaning that if you were cancel your premium sub one day, one hour, one minute before it ran out, you would be charged nothing. You have plenty of time to do so before next renewal if you don't want to.

On that subject, a solution if you are squirelly about this: cancel your sub immediately upon getting it; you'd be able to ride out the whole next month with no problems, watch for content you desire and decide exactly when and if you wish to renew. The auto-renew is meant for people signing up to a subscription who likely are prepared to pay the monthly/annual fee. If they aren't, they can use above method. No problems. I see nothing scummy about this.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Cheers for the heads-up.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@pr1mus: Hey guys. Looks like we might have an issue where it might be saying "auto-renew" when it's not. We are looking into that. As far as we can tell, most people should have had their auto-renew settings intact. Patching that.

Also if you feel like there is an issue with your account, or improper billing, please contact support[at]giantbomb.com We will make sure not to do you dirty.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

My paypal membership got reset to an auto-renew regular one the last two times as well. Last time Rorie fixed it, this time I just cancelled and bought the paypal membership which hasn't resulted in my subscription being extended by the looks of it. I inquired why that is a couple of days ago but haven't heard back yet. I'm still premium though but I think we've had some sort of deliberate or accidental grace period for a while now.

Would be great if they got on top of that!

elise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I subbed just a few days ago and it had switched me to the yearly plan from monthly. I tried switching it back and while the right option is selected "You are currently subscribed to the Yearly plan" is still the message.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I think mine was Auto-renew from the start, I used credit card though and not paypal so maybe that's why. They should definitely give people a heads up though if it changed.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By wcarle

Hey guys we have some code going out in the next day or so that should make the UI on the billing page display your correct subscription status. I've double checked the info in our old billing system and made sure your accounts in the new system match, it looks like some people that purchased last year for the mother's day sale (and a couple other edge cases) were showing the incorrect status. Stay tuned for that updated code I'll post here when it's live and if your accounts still show incorrect status we'll set ya right.

Rest assured we will get your account set straight and if you are billed when you shouldn't have been we will make that right. <3