[Suggestion] Filtering out videos that are GiantBomb content

nicolasvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nicolasvh

Not really a bug, but more a small suggestion.

Problem

At the moment for me, it's kind of a pain to check out all categories to see if there any new GiantBomb videos. So no trailers form third-parties, just stuff that the staff made. Going through 'Last videos' is the least tiresome way, but even then I slip past some videos which is unfortunate.

Proposal

Add a checkbox on 'Last videos' to filter out videos that are GiantBomb productions. This could be a member only feature. The backend would also need ths checkbox implementation, logically. Retroactively updating all content might be a bit much, so for new content only then I presume.

A fast wireframe I did.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'd want this feature. Could be an option among video categories aswell (header menu and dropdown on video page).

Maybe staff should consider trailers just be posted in the forums instead, are they bringing any value other than comment discussion for Giantbomb? I go to other places to look at trailers.

nicolasvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Think trailers attract too much 'casual/one-off' visitors to justify the decision to move them to the forums. They're too important for ad revenue, would be my guess.

So saying that, this 'feature' would help the more frequent (not interested in trailers) GiantBomb visitor while not hurting conversion for the audience described above.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I doubt this is helpful but do you have an andriod or iDevice? There is an app called the "Giantbomb Video Buddy" that has a setting to filter out all trailers and show just Giantbomb content.

nicolasvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do, unfortunately I exclusively watch GiantBomb on my laptop. :)

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Allowing users to tag videos would be a good step towards the horrible sorting on this site.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I have wanted this feature for years.

As for tagging, hell, you could even just let the mods do it. There are only a few QLs posted per day at most; there will be at least one mod who isn't busy enough to throw some quick tags (like which staff members are in the QL, which games were featured on this episode of UPF, etc.) on whatever goes up.

Avatar image for theothrpianoman
TheOthrPianoMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheOthrPianoMan

I've also been dying for this feature.

I think I watch all content that is produced by the Giant Bomb crew but I have missed stuff because all of the trailers that I can't filter out.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e39f84edec3
deactivated-63e39f84edec3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Feature seem to exists in the GiantBomb video buddy app! Surely it would be possible to do it site wise?

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By frymillstrum

Clicking on the videos tab now I see there are 24 videos displayed per page 5 of which are trailers, that dates back to July 28th. Is that really such a big problem for you? It was a little (a LITTLE) annoying during e3 but what can you expect.

nicolasvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just a suggestion to make the site a little bit better. Not sure what First World Problems have to do with that.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@pinner458: Your comment seems a bit harsh being that this is the bug reporting section and OP said it's just a suggestion.

I am for the OPs idea as apparently they get decent views on trailers here, Jeff likes the idea of being able to look up old trailers, and that has some merit (looking back on old trailers on the site as it is can sometimes be amazing). This would just add a filtering element to it for those that don't want to see the trailers.

Seems like a win win win idea to me.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Wasn't there a thread about this exact thing last month?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

They should at least add a section to the videos tab that only aggregates all videos made by giant bomb (not just free content like the "features" section). Probably wouldn't be that hard to filter out trailers in this way.

One feature I would REALLY love is an automatic replay/skip feature for specific video series' they have made. It would be so cool if they strung together all the respective endurance run videos, all the whiskey media happy hours, and other comparable video series'. It sucks when I want to watch the persona endurance run and I have to manually go to the next video by backing out and finding it. It's even harder for the WMHH's because that series isn't organized at allll.

I also still really want a random video button (I think the old site had it, but I'm not sure).

laika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should at least add a section to the videos tab that only aggregates all videos made by giant bomb (not just free content like the "features" section). Probably wouldn't be that hard to filter out trailers in this way.

One feature I would REALLY love is an automatic replay/skip feature for specific video series' they have made. It would be so cool if they strung together all the respective endurance run videos, all the whiskey media happy hours, and other comparable video series'. It sucks when I want to watch the persona endurance run and I have to manually go to the next video by backing out and finding it. It's even harder for the WMHH's because that series isn't organized at allll.

I also still really want a random video button (I think the old site had it, but I'm not sure).

Here's your random video button, enjoy. (Drag to bookmarks bar. You might have to update the max video ID once in a while.)

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Palmlykta

I've pretty much given up on requesting features such as these, they still don't even have puppying basic categories for UPF, TNT, Breaking Brad and so forth...

The (lack of) sorting of videos is EASILY the worst part of this site (which I otherwise enjoy very much thank you).

To end on a positive note, I really like OPs idea!

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laika said:

Here's your random video button, enjoy. (Drag to bookmarks bar. You might have to update the max video ID once in a while.)

But trailers are included in there. I clicked it and got a New Vegas trailer.

laika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laika said:

But trailers are included in there. I clicked it and got a New Vegas trailer.

Known issue. As a workaround, press it again.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers