The HD video quality is really bad

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

When I'm downloading a HD version of a video, I'm expecting everything to be pristine clear.

No Caption Provided

Not this compression madness!

Is Giant Bomb now using a way lower bitrate?

The terrible HD quality has been going for a while now, I'm surprised no one has complained.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

I have not watched videos on the site for like 3 months, the new video player really blows, it has terrible video quality, and frame rate.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By devilzrule27

The GB video player is awful. HTML 5 one tends to look a little better but it's buggy as hell.

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Our bitrate hasn't changed at all (in fact it's higher then before) so if you did a direct download you should not be seeing compression artifacts unless the encode was bad. I'll check w/ the video team.

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The filesize of the "HD" video downloads can be really huge and the quality can be pretty good, but the "High" downloads looks absolutely terrible by comparison.

The High version of the Tekken Quick Look (1800 bitrate)
The High version of the Tekken Quick Look (1800 bitrate)
The HD version of the Tekken Quick Look (4000 bitrate)
The HD version of the Tekken Quick Look (4000 bitrate)

If you compare the two you'll see that there is a huge amount of detail lost in the High version, as well as a lot of blocking. I know that they have less than half the bitrate of the HD videos but I feel like it's not a very good compromise for people with bandwidth caps like myself. I don't know the specifics of the Giant Bomb video pipeline, but it seems like an additional pass could be added to each video to get rid of some of the blockiness.

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By mrpibb

GB High has always been 1800 bitrate, we simply bumped HD up. I'll check w/ the encoding team to see if something changed there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@assinass said:

The terrible HD quality has been going for a while now, I'm surprised no one has complained.

First world problems.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

The streaming option only gives me auto. It switches wildly between HD and lower quality, which is a bit annoying.