This site makes my computer freeze up.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Everytime I come here, which is alot, my whole computer freezes for no less than 10-20 seconds. if I try and click multiple times, my computer lets out a system beep. What is going on? This is the only site that does this.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I often have the same issue, usually the first time I navigate to the site after turning on my computer for the first time.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By rorie

@banefirelord: @toma: Sorry, there's another thread about this. I'll file a bug and link the engineers here; they might ask you to run some tests. Sorry for the trouble.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

same here but only on my laptop and usually for 2 seconds.

goreyfantod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By goreyfantod

Add me to this list. My computer freezes for about thirty seconds the first time I open Giant Bomb after turning my computer on (using Chrome).

JesterPC238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My laptop does the same thing.

Kaineda77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have the same issue, only sometimes it takes more like 45 seconds. Then again, my laptop is slow.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toma said:

Everytime I come here, which is alot, my whole computer freezes for no less than 10-20 seconds. if I try and click multiple times, my computer lets out a system beep. What is going on? This is the only site that does this.

Maybe you should put a blanket and socks on your computer before coming to the site. Ba dum tssshhh...

But really, have you tried using a different browser? I've tend to have better results using Google Chrome over Firefox and IE.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bane
@banefirelord said:

I often have the same issue, usually the first time I navigate to the site after turning on my computer for the first time.

Same here. Giant Bomb and The Verge are the two sites that cause the lockup most frequently.

What happens to me is the whole machine locks up for 10 - 20 seconds while the hard drive goes into a state of high activity. Once the hard drive activity returns to normal so does the rest of the machine. After that it doesn't happen again until the next time I power cycle the machine.

Core i7 920, 6GB RAM, nVidia Quadro FX 3800, Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1, Chrome 26.0.1410.64 m

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tarsier

this still happens for me, it now happens for like 10 seconds or more.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tarsier: Does it still do it in incognito mode?

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

4 months and still not fixed. Bummer.

It usually freezes when a tracking website is loading, and the address can be read on the bottom bar of the browser.

McDom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By McDom

Same thing for me, doesn't do it in incognito mode.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's just too much dopeness trying to load at once. Tell the engineers to turn down some of their dope javascript.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tarsier: @fattony12000: @mcdom: @viking_funeral:

I’m told that this is due to blocking either cbsi.com or omniture.js. If you can whitelist those in whatever javascript or adblocking software you’re using, the issue should resolve itself. I don’t think these are ad servers (I could be wrong), but rather site tagging we use to monitor user behavior.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

@tarsier: @fattony12000: @mcdom: @viking_funeral:

I’m told that this is due to blocking either cbsi.com or omniture.js. If you can whitelist those in whatever javascript or adblocking software you’re using, the issue should resolve itself. I don’t think these are ad servers (I could be wrong), but rather site tagging we use to monitor user behavior.

You're an ad sever.

I totally don't have any of these issues, by the way, I'm just here for the fun of it.

Datajack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also have this issue as far back as I can remember on my backup pc, thinking pre-site revamp? Anyways...running it on fresh install and patched up Win 7, IE 10.0.9200.16686 on older AMD platform/2gb RAM. Built in pop-up blocker turned off of course and no Ad-blocker software installed. Doesn't reoccur until full power cycle. Hmm, but main pc on Win 8, IE 10.0.9200.16686 with built in pop-up blocker turned on, never an issue. Go figure...odd.