Unable to edit specific page.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel

For some reason, the page for the Megami Tensei franchise doesn't accept edits. The texit editor can be opened and the text edited, but it always fails when submitted for no discernible reason.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#2  Edited By Mento  Moderator

@hailinel: I had a wiki editor problem like this too: it refused to save changes whenever I removed something from the Game Details sidebar (specifically an erroneous developer). I believe it's a similar problem to what's plaguing lists right now.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I seem to be getting that error, too, at least on the page you provided.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By ZombiePie

@mento said:

@hailinel: I had a wiki editor problem like this too: it refused to save changes whenever I removed something from the Game Details sidebar (specifically an erroneous developer). I believe it's a similar problem to what's plaguing lists right now.

The is an issue with the editor in regards to processing wiki pages with numerous associations. As one of our engineers, @mrpibb put it on another bug report about this issue:

hey dudes

Just an update that we know there are issues with the more populated wiki pages and response time. We're actively looking into the problem and coming up with solutions, but a true fix may be a couple of months out as it requires a decently sized refactoring of how wiki edits get submitted.

Until then, sorry about the inconvenience and I'd just ask that you be patient with your edits when saving / submitting.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mento  Moderator

@zombiepie: I figured that was in response to the occasional hour-long delays it takes for a wiki edit to come into effect. It's been a good idea in my experience to update in smaller chunks so it has less to process between each edit. In those cases, the wiki editor will tell you (in that friendly green border way) that the changes are saved even though the page still looks as it did before - it'll eventually change by itself within sixty minutes.

This thread's particular issue (or at least my version of it) is that the wiki just flat out refuses to process any changes, sends you a little error message (in that unfriendly red border way) and freezes out the "save changes" button forcing you to abandon the wiki editor by refreshing/quitting the page. It kept losing my work until I decided to save each change separately and managed to narrow down the error occurrence to whenever I tried to remove a developer. So I don't do that any more.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

This has been happening to me more often then not it feels like. I am trying to put off any real big editing of anything right now and just doing small edits.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By rorie

@mento said:

@zombiepie: I figured that was in response to the occasional hour-long delays it takes for a wiki edit to come into effect. It's been a good idea in my experience to update in smaller chunks so it has less to process between each edit. In those cases, the wiki editor will tell you (in that friendly green border way) that the changes are saved even though the page still looks as it did before - it'll eventually change by itself within sixty minutes.

This thread's particular issue (or at least my version of it) is that the wiki just flat out refuses to process any changes, sends you a little error message (in that unfriendly red border way) and freezes out the "save changes" button forcing you to abandon the wiki editor by refreshing/quitting the page. It kept losing my work until I decided to save each change separately and managed to narrow down the error occurrence to whenever I tried to remove a developer. So I don't do that any more.

I don't think this is related to that; this is mostly occurring with truly massive pages that feature either insane amounts of text (the Spider-Man page on CV had a similar problem when it hit something like 27k words) or a truly astounding number of associations. Megami Tensei, for instance, is around 2,000 associations, and for some reason our systems are getting a bit borked at saving changes anywhere on a page when it has to run through all of those associations while saving a page.

We've been discussing some ways of mitigating the issue, such as by increasing the length of time before an edit times out and errors, but as mrpibb said, a more thorough solution might take some time. In the meantime, I would save major work in a separate notepad window or something before committing it, but most smaller pages shouldn't have any issues.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mento  Moderator

@rorie@zombiepie Ah, OK, never mind. Completely separate issues. Thanks for the clarification you two. Yeah, that sounds messy. I think when the wiki editor's relaunched, we're going to have to identify those ubiquitous "omni-concepts" (Bosses, Boss Fight, Earth, etc.) and disable them from being added to pages. That might help ease the amount of work the systems have to process.

I guess you can just log my "removing a developer" thing as a separate problem then.