Video player broken

Tofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

I'm having some trouble getting the video player to work properly. Videos keep freezing, and in the case of the first Mario Party Party, stopping and ending the video entirely, with no 'resuming from saved position'. I'm running OSX 10.9.5, the latest version of Safari, and Adblock is off.

Thanks!

AudioFatigue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Windows 7, Using Chrome and the exact same thing is happening to me. The video just randomly stops completely.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@doctorsage Is it still an issue? What's your location? Are you on a corporate network? If you are far away from a Akamai server, or have a bad ISP, you may have issues.

Tofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Tofin

@jslack: I'm on a school network, maybe that's the problem?

Here's my speedtest info, in case that helps!

Wi-Fi:

No Caption Provided

Ethernet:

No Caption Provided

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm using W7/Firefox and just had this issue for the first time today. Nothing else with my internet has been changed, it's still relatively high-speed, and although I was running it at the same time as an online game, the problem persisted even after I shut the game down.

It so far seems confined to the Extra Life Megadump that just got thrown up. Switching to Progressive seems to have helped for now, though.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jslack For the first time ever I'm having these issues too. Neither Streaming or Progressive works (lags) and the HTML5 player straight up stops after watching a video for about 5 minutes. I can watch non-Premium videos on YT, but Premium videos are unwatchable for me if this continues. My internet connection is the same as it has been for a few years now, nothing else has changed.

Using Windows 8.1/Chrome. Tried in Firefox too.

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Paliv

I too am having issues on a Windows 7 pc using Chrome. No video configurations are working at the moment for more than a few seconds. It's like they are buffering forever in the way they behave, but speedtest says I'm working normally, and trying other streaming videos across the web work fine. All the content I want is here, though.

Edit: It seems as though the issue is intermittent, possibly related to stability issues already noted?

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Bummer. I too see issues sometimes from home (Comcast). Will keep looking into this. Some of it is out of our control, but going to do what we can.

astrophyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 20

I'm having the same issues and my internet is fine as far as I can tell. I use Comcast 60 Mb too. I have tried some other sites with HD videos and it seems like my slow download/buffering problems are isolated to giantbomb. It started when I was watching the Extra Life backlog, and now I'm also having issues with Demo Derby Dreamcast.

daycru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By daycru

I have the same issue with GB, also extremely slow downloads. Like 40 minutes to download a video in low quality. YouTube works fine, but you have to use the GB player for premium content. It doesn't always do this, is perfect now, but a complete shit show last night, went to bed in frustration because I couldn't finish UPF.

MutenMiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yeah same here - Windows 7 and Chrome - no problems with my internet or streaming/downloading from any other site, just here. Having to stream everything from youtube or watch in low quality progressive and hope for the best. But even now I'm trying to watch the old 12 hour Morrowind marathon and it's gotten 2 minutes in (on low/progressive even) and just died. This has been going on for weeks for me now, and really bumming me out. No problems with live shows or anything like that, purely the player is just unusable for me right now. It feels like I'm back on dial-up! XD

Offerizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having the same problem. Win7/Chrome. It's just GB videos. All other sites/streams work fine.

agentjohnsteed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same issue here. Windows 7/64 and Chrome 39.0.2171.65 m. HTML5 stop and starts randomly. I've some better luck with the progressive option, but not always. No config or speed changes on my internet connection. Mostly I just popped in here to see if anybody has a new information.

slitka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same problem here.

Karolis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Windows 8 x64, Chrome 39 x64, had the latest Mario Party Party stop every couple of minutes starting at 1h35m, restarted the video, auto seeking did not occur, had to manually seek. Just happened on MGS2 part 03 at 34m.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Maybe @tsubomi might be able to diagnose some of this.

Vitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vitz

Funnily enough, this started happening for me the day I became a subscriber this week. Not a great way to start it off.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#18  Edited By Forcen

I am having trouble watching the extra life videos now, the files just wont load all of a sudden.

EDIT: Now it works... was some temporary thing probably.

beef_melody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By beef_melody

Same problem here, Windows 8, Chrome.

EDIT: After experimenting with the quality options, I can watch videos on Low Quality without any stopping/restarting. I get a decent ping to v.giantbomb though (29 ms) so I'm not sure whats up, unless its the CDN hiccuping.

Art_Vandelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having this problem since I subscribed almost a year ago. I feel like its more prevalent with older vods, but sometimes it happens with never videos too. The strange thing is, if a video is affected, it keeps on happening (maybe 4-5 times in an hour long video). There are vods however that seem to run perfectly fine... I wonder whats up with that.

Im on Windows 7 64x, browser is chromium.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#21  Edited By jaqen_hghar

A complete wreck here as well. I am sometimes able to watch the shorter videos, but it seems longer videos just don't want to work properly. Usually they stop to buffer every five to ten seconds, or they completely stop then act like the video is over. When it does this it also forgets where it was, so the "loading your last location" feature is useless. Only setting that makes it work better is watching through Youtube, which goes without any trouble. For some reason it has worked better on the "Video Buddy" iPad app, so I have been watching subscriber videos on that for the past weeks, but now that too refused to play videos. Any information I can give to help with this problem?

I'm running Windows 7 64bit with Chrome.
Don't got the fastest internet, but it has been good enough to watch videos in the past. And every other video-source works well. Youtube, Netflix etc.

No Caption Provided

jobim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jobim

I have the exact same problem. Also, when I try to watch older premium videos, take Random PC Game for example I constantly have to buffer, same happened to me with the MGScanlon videos. I have tried to download the videos, but it starts at half my download speed, which is fine, since at full speed it is pretty fast, but then all of a sudden goes down to 90kb/s and stays there. This is very frustrating. I have been having these kinds of problems on and off for more than a year now I would guess. I do not think my ISP is throttling me. Livestreams both here and on other sites works great. I have tried all the different alternatives, Youtube is the only that never fails, but then premium videos is not available there of course. Would love some sort of update. Thank you. Oh yeah I forgot. This is happening on both Chrome and IE, Win.8.1 64-bit, newest version of both browsers.

Speedtest results.

No Caption Provided

Art_Vandelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to add more information: It has definitely gotten worse in the last 2-3 weeks. Prior to that it happened maybe once or twince over the duration of a 2hour long video. I recently tried to watch Upf 12/13/2013 (just to give a specific example) and I could not even finish it, because it kept stopping and terminating the video every 2-8 minutes. Which is very annoying, since, as the topic creator pointed out, you can't just jump back to the position you were at and have to memorize every timestamp of a potential crash of the player.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

If the video player isn't working for you in Chrome, try hitting the Download button and selecting the speed to see if Chrome's video player is any better and let me know here.

kylenalepa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kylenalepa

Occurring here as well. Windows 7, latest Chrome. Speedtest below. Tried @rorie's suggestion, same issue, sadly.

No Caption Provided

Feenski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same problems here. Shorter videos like the Quick Looks are generally fine, but longer videos found in the Premium section just refuse to play a lot of the time. This has been going on for a couple of months now.