• 143 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Edited by sear (369 posts) -
  • Browser: Firefox
  • Memory: 12 GB
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 920
  • Video Card: GeForce GTX 470
  • Player: Flash
  • Problem: Video constantly stutters and hitches, quality of playback drops, often replays the same few seconds of footage again, video stream freezes while audio continues, etc.

Can someone please explain why these video playback bugs on a critical video-focused web site have not been fixed in over a year?

#102 Posted by billymagnum (827 posts) -

• RAM: 8 GB
  • Type Of Player: html 5
  • Adblock: Off
  • Specific Problem: videos dont start at all when i press play. i have to press pause then play again to get started. some times it just wont start at all so i switch to streaming. then half way through the stream, the audio of the html starts playing at in conjunction with the streaming audio.
#103 Posted by Rorie (2912 posts) -

@sear said:
  • Problem: Video constantly stutters and hitches, quality of playback drops, often replays the same few seconds of footage again, video stream freezes while audio continues, etc.

Can someone please explain why these video playback bugs on a critical video-focused web site have not been fixed in over a year?

The engineers are working on a ground-up rewrite of the video player at the moment. It's going to roll out to the new GS first and then hopefully hit GB sometime soon after that.

Staff
#104 Edited by sear (369 posts) -

@rorie said:

The engineers are working on a ground-up rewrite of the video player at the moment. It's going to roll out to the new GS first and then hopefully hit GB sometime soon after that.

That's great to hear. I didn't mean to be vitriolic or anything, it's just a bit annoying to see that the problems have lasted for quite some time, and "unfortunately" I've been resorting to using YouTube for all the site's videos because of these issues, which is something I'd rather not do if I can avoid it. I admit there being some sour grapes about this happening immediately after the CBS reunion, with the old player working perfectly and the new one being fraught with major issues - not exactly confidence-inspiring.

Thanks for the hard work, it's appreciated and I know that oftentimes it's not something that end users can see or get a sense of going on.

#105 Edited by billymagnum (827 posts) -

also could i please request a playlist/watch later function so i can also stay away from youtube?

#106 Edited by Nevvermore (14 posts) -

Just payed for a subscription to watch some great videos... or so I thought. Why don't you guys simply offer Youtube functionality for all videos? I only have problems with the internal one. Things that come to mind:

- Videos take extremely long to start (I'm on a 100 Mbit connection)

- Jumping around in videos takes forever as well

- Can't change settings in fullscreen (why?)

- Can't watch HD video in streaming mode...

- No auto-resume (with videos that are 2-3 hours long, I can't really be expected to keep a tab open until I have time to finish watching the whole video)

- No "watch later"

- No "previously watched" list

#107 Posted by Rorie (2912 posts) -

@nevvermore: Can't speak to all of these features, but many of the bugs will hopefully be addressed with the new video player that's going to roll out after the GameSpot redesign goes live. It's been rewritten almost entirely and should hopefully eliminate most of the bugs related to the player.

Staff
#108 Posted by Nevvermore (14 posts) -

@rorie: Thanks for the answer, I hope it will work as you say. Unfortunately, like most new things, it will probably have its own share of problems. Looking forward to it in any case!

#109 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

Win7x64

200Mbit connection

Chrome

Core i7 920

GTX 680 4GB

Streaming (Auto) option of the player constantly switching from low res to high res back to low res, and so on. THeres no way as far as I am aware to just let it buffer or force it on a particular resolution.

HTML 5 version can sometimes freeze for no reason, or keep the audio going while the video just stops. HTML5 version also has trouble if you want to skip ahead or things like that.

Basically for "premium" videos, im screwed because theres no rock-solid youtube option.

#110 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2473 posts) -

Streaming (Auto) option of the player constantly switching from low res to high res back to low res, and so on. THeres no way as far as I am aware to just let it buffer or force it on a particular resolution.

Well, there is always "Progressive" if you can live without seeking, resume and all that jazz. But there is a ridiculous quality gap between "high" (720p-ish) and "low" (which spits out unwatchable garbage at 50p or something).

#111 Edited by nate6858 (164 posts) -
  • Browser: Chrome 29.0.1547.76 m
  • RAM : 4GB
  • Type Of Player: streaming
  • Adblock: off
  • Specific Problem: video plays fine but the ui goes bonkers

#112 Edited by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

• Browser: Chrome
  • RAM: 4 GB
  • Type Of Player: HTML5
  • Adblock: On
  • Specific Problem: Pauses at random intervals without the play button coming up, won't allow to be 'unpaused' with the lack of play button so have to refresh. Also does the same, pauses at random intervals play button does come up, pressing it does nothing.

Same thing is happening again, will play for 20 secs or so then pause and same as above. Although OS is now OS: OSX 10.8.5. I've had adblock turned off on GB as I think I remember Alexis saying this might cause problems.

#113 Edited by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -
  • RAM: 4 GB
  • Type Of Player: HTML5
  • Specific Problem: The overall quality of the "HD" setting seems really bad. Everything seems to be aliased. This is especially noticeable during parts in quick looks where you see text in menus (especially black on white) the aliasing isn't there on the progressive or YouTube options however I like using HTML5 to quickly seek during a video.
#114 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

One problem I have, that is probably part of design, is I can't skip to certain areas. It's always in massive chunks of like 60 seconds, so if I want something at 3:48, I might only be able to jump in at 3:00. It's super annoying.

#115 Posted by FritzDude (2263 posts) -

I haven't been here in a while, but Is there a reason as to why fullscreen doesn't work With Internet Explorer 10? Only windowed Works. Also the video player is sporadic, changing quality from low to high every fifteen Seconds, With a delay or repeated sound when it does. This is With streaming I believe. It's not the CPU/GPU Power, nor Mbit.

#116 Posted by Rorie (2912 posts) -

Just FYI for everyone, we'll be switching to the new GameSpot player sometime in the next few weeks and it'll be replacing the player that we currently have. Apologies for the trouble with the current player; hopefully the new one will be more solid and secure.

Staff
#117 Posted by lamzor (49 posts) -

@rorie: thanks for the good news.i have tested new gs player and i cant wait. im premium for few years and video player was my only problem last 1-2 years.

i have seen only one "bug" in new player but it was directly caused by my addon. if anyone is using Status-4-Evar addon in ffox uncheck option

* S4E Preferences -> Advanced -> Status -> Detect full-screen mode

otherwise you will see transfer status even when playing fullscreen video.

#118 Edited by Sinnott147 (37 posts) -

• RAM: 32 GB
  • Type Of Player: Progressive (HD)
  • Specific Problem: After buffering had finished the navigation bar continued as though it was still buffering.
#119 Edited by RonGalaxy (3168 posts) -

@rorie It's so frustrating that notifications still don't work on site. Are top men working on that yet?

#120 Posted by Rorie (2912 posts) -

@naru_joe93: They've been working for a long time? Have you checked your settings to ensure that they're turned on?

Staff
#121 Edited by RonGalaxy (3168 posts) -

@rorie said:

@naru_joe93: They've been working for a long time? Have you checked your settings to ensure that they're turned on?

Oh wow, I didn't even check to see if that was the problem... Turned em on now... My bad! (also, thanks!)

#122 Edited by SgtSphynx (1389 posts) -

• Browser: Chrome and Firefox 16.0
  • RAM: 6 GB
  • Type Of Player: any
  • Specific Problem: This is only the second time it has happened, but for some reason, occasionally when Patrick posts a video, I cannot get it to play. The two videos in question are the Reset and the SRIV Enter the Dominatrix trailers. On any of the players, progressive, streaming, or HTML5, I can hit either of the play buttons, the big one in the center of the video or the small one on the lower left, and nothing happens. The video will not play.
#123 Posted by CheckPointD (43 posts) -

Has anyone else been having issues watching video on a Kindle Fire HD? I have been watching Giant Bomb Video's for almost a year on it with little to no problem. Over this past weekend I encountered a problem where my Kindle won't go full screen when I play any videos.

#124 Edited by TepidShark (1059 posts) -
  • Mac OS Mountain Lion on a 2011 MacBook Pro
  • Problem: If I use the download button, HD videos are corrupted when downloaded via Chrome but fine when downloaded via Firefox. Sure, I use ad block on Chrome but not Firefox, but as I am a Gold premium member it shouldn't be an issue because I don't get ads.
#125 Posted by Rorie (2912 posts) -

Just FYI, we're looking at a late November date for the new video player. Sorry for the delay and sorry for the buginess; hopefully when it rolls back from GameSpot it'll be a smooth experience.

Staff
#126 Edited by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

@rorie: So is the player going to be the EXACT player or is it still going to have HTML5 option because currently that is my favorite video player. Because it seems the Gamespot version only has quality options and no player type option at least ATM.

#127 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

@rorie said:

Just FYI, we're looking at a late November date for the new video player. Sorry for the delay and sorry for the buginess; hopefully when it rolls back from GameSpot it'll be a smooth experience.

Wow thanks for the heads up, man.

@rorie said:

it'll be a smooth experience.

Ha ! Ha !

Leaving full screen to change settings.

A clunky full screen transition with a giant black box in the top and a link in the bottom when hovering over the button.

Playback is still very choppy.

No replay option, just a black screen.

Part of the player getting stuck off screen so can't enter full screen again.

Yeah you fixed it good at Gamespot.

Anyway, sorry for shitting on the messenger, man. I guess I should be pissed at Alexis but he is probably too busy guesting the Bombcast to try and fix the video player. Ha ! Ha !

#128 Edited by Rorie (2912 posts) -

@rorie: So is the player going to be the EXACT player or is it still going to have HTML5 option because currently that is my favorite video player. Because it seems the Gamespot version only has quality options and no player type option at least ATM.

Part of the work involved is ensuring that we keep all of the video player options in the player, so yes, as far as I know we'll still be supporting HTML5.

Staff
#129 Edited by Rorie (2912 posts) -

@rorie said:

@rorie said:

Ha ! Ha !

A clunky full screen transition with a giant black box in the top and a link in the bottom when hovering over the button.

Anyway, sorry for shitting on the messenger, man. I guess I should be pissed at Alexis but he is probably too busy guesting the Bombcast to try and fix the video player. Ha ! Ha !

Alexis really has pretty little to do with video player coding. But if there are issues with the GameSpot player, there's a bug reporting forum in the community section where those issues can be reported and maybe they'll get looked at before the player's rolled back.

Staff
#130 Edited by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

@rorie said:

@grissefar said:

@rorie said:

@rorie said:

Ha ! Ha !

Alexis really has pretty little to do with video player coding. But if there are issues with the GameSpot player, there's a bug reporting forum in the community section where those issues can be reported and maybe they'll get looked at before the player's rolled back.

Yeah I guess posting in the Giant Bomb video player bug reporting thread is insufficient huh? I don't know what those video player coder guys are doing - I've never encountered a worse player, except those from official company websites used only to play a trailer. Sorry, just venting yet again. Ha ! Ha ! Still, I don't know what Giant Bomb would do without you, I hope you have a happy Halloween with many dumb puppies. Try not to eat them all.

#131 Edited by Koukou (39 posts) -
@rorie said:

@sear said:

A quick little work-around I've found is to make the browser go fullscreen by hitting f11, then chosing the windowed option instead of fullscreen.

Edit: Using Chrome*

#132 Edited by Illyr (82 posts) -

Browser: Chrome

RAM: 12 GB

Type Of Player: HTML5

Adblock: Off

Specific Problem: Other types of streams work but HTML 5 will not play. It was working like 1-2 weeks ago. I hit play and it immediately goes back to the initial screen of the video, as if you didn't hit the play button in the center of the screen (the play icon reappears in the center of the screen). I have tried going in incognito to see if my extensions were conflicting and it still wouldn't play. I also reset all my chrome flags to default, because I messed with them and it still won't work. I Have tried it with IE, Firefox and HTML5 works. If this is any help I have also inspected the screen element (<div id="js-vid-splash_button1357000683">Play</div>) and this error is present: "event.returnValue is deprecated. Please use the standard event.preventDefault() instead.". Thanks

Update: Weird, I seem to have fixed the problem for myself. Posting this for others to try just in case it might help them too. In Chrome options I selected "Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8" and it opened Chrome in Metro. I then tried hitting play again on GB video with HTML5 selected and it started playing. I then went back into options and relaunched Chrome in desktop and HTML5 is working now.

#133 Posted by Flacracker (1675 posts) -

When is the new video playing coming? This is complete crap right now. I am watching the Forza 5 quick look and I wanted to rewind a bit and the video decided to bug out and stop playing so I have to refresh. Now I can't skip through the video because I am on progressive. I switch to streaming but the quality instantly goes to shit and never stays stable. I haven't used HTML 5 in a while because every so often the video starts to jitter and spaz out. Confirmed that again. Youtube doesn't even have 720p quality on it yet. Just allow me to skip around on progressive mode and everything would be great.

#134 Edited by RubberFactory (288 posts) -

When is the new video playing coming? This is complete crap right now. I am watching the Forza 5 quick look and I wanted to rewind a bit and the video decided to bug out and stop playing so I have to refresh. Now I can't skip through the video because I am on progressive. I switch to streaming but the quality instantly goes to shit and never stays stable. I haven't used HTML 5 in a while because every so often the video starts to jitter and spaz out. Confirmed that again. Youtube doesn't even have 720p quality on it yet. Just allow me to skip around on progressive mode and everything would be great.

Hopefully soon considering all of the options available are practically broken. HTML 5 will just stop after a couple minutes on most videos, streaming is consistently low quality, and progressive just goes to a blank grey screen half the time.

Browser: Chrome 31.0.1650.57

Memory: 12 Gb

Adblock: off

#135 Edited by Arkanti (255 posts) -

@jneam said:

After the video ends, it starts playing again with just the audio.

#136 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

Anyone having issues with HTML5 audio sync being off? Watching the brand new Jar time and the sync of the audio to the video was off about a quarter of a second. Enough that you could tell. I tried streaming and progressive and they seem fine seems only to affect the HTML5 player.

#137 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

I don't know if I should put this here or start a new thread, but when I try to download the HD versions of videos from the site it downloads to 100% but then it fails to actually complete, instead I get a thing that says something like "unknown network error."

This only happens with the HD downloads, it seems.

#138 Edited by Assirra (99 posts) -

I don't know if this is a bug or not but the volume keeps resetting to max if you start another a video.
For someone like me who thanks to my setup 10% volume is more then enough, it deafens me every single time i start a new video and just happen to forget to lower it. This is the only player i know that actually resets that.

#139 Posted by KingGiddra (233 posts) -

• RAM: 16 GB
  • Type Of Player: new streaming player for premium
  • Specific Problem: While watching UPF or any premium streams with the new streaming player, every 2-3min the video will drop to 2-3 FPS for about 15 seconds. This lags my whole browser.
#140 Edited by ZmillA (2271 posts) -

• Memory: 8 GB
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K
  • Video Card: GeForce GTX 760
  • Player: HTLM5 HD quality
  • Problem: Videos freeze every so often. This video freezed for me every 16 minutes : http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-republique/2300-8360/
    After they freeze I have to refresh the page and restart the video. Sometimes the videos will resume where it froze. The above video did not auto resume. I had to manually select where to resume viewing.

This occurs on every video I watch with the above settings.

#141 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Autoresume seems janked up. Trying to watch that replublique quick look and had to do something so i left, now when i try playing it starts the video over at the start with full audio but also the auto-resumed audio. Basically makes it unwatchable. Resorting to the youtube versions till this player is fixed cus its frankly awful.

#142 Posted by micsab (1 posts) -
  • Browser: Chrome 32.0.1700.76 m
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 3770KK
  • Video Card: Radeon HD 7860
  • Player: HTLM5
  • Problem: Videos in HTML5 (as well as streaming) will auto display to my main monitor even when i full screen them in the secondary one. Video plays fine but I typically like to have giant bomb videos on my second monitor while gaming or browsing. This is probably an issue with chrome (since it just updated) but I figured I would post it here just in case people where having similar issues. Youtube video will full screen in the secondary monitor no problem.
#143 Posted by emnii (198 posts) -
  • Player: Giant Bomb channel on Roku
  • Model: Roku 2 XS (3100), Roku 3 (4200)
  • Problem: Video loads in HD quality but within 10 seconds of playing goes back to loading with two dots of quality. This load takes a long time, sometimes long enough for the screensaver to kick in, so +10 minutes. Then it resumes at a lower quality for about 3 - 5 minutes, and then goes back to loading again. This problem occurs most frequently between 5pm and 11pm CST. I don't seem to have any problems with the video players on the website, but the Roku channel is how I primarily watch videos.
#144 Posted by PimblyCharles (1435 posts) -

@assirra said:

I don't know if this is a bug or not but the volume keeps resetting to max if you start another a video.

For someone like me who thanks to my setup 10% volume is more then enough, it deafens me every single time i start a new video and just happen to forget to lower it. This is the only player i know that actually resets that.

The volume always starts at max for me too. Win7 x64 & Firefox 26.0. This is on any video preset.

#145 Edited by Rorie (2912 posts) -

Going to un-sticky this since the new video player will be rolling out soon. Will start a new thread when that occurs. NOT THAT THERE'LL BE ANY BUGS WITH IT.

Staff