• 158 results
#101 Edited by ManMadeGod (1561 posts) -

This thread surprised me since I have never had major problems with the video player. Fingers crossed........

#102 Edited by EmuLeader (558 posts) -

I can't watch anything besides low on every player on GB except YouTube and TwitchTV. And the low is so pixelated, its difficult to even watch. I obviously am a member, but I end up watching everything on YouTube anyways because the members player won't play properly. It usually either skips every few seconds or the video will stutter and stop at times while the audio keeps going, making for a very disjointed viewing experience. It's really unfortunate.

#103 Edited by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -

I stopped streaming videos because it would jump back a few seconds a bunch while I'm watching it. What I mean by that is you'd hear, say, Ryan say something along the lines of, "That was crazy", and when you look at the video it would be frozen. Then you'd hear Ryan say, "That was crazy" again before the video would catch up and begin to play normally. This would happen at least 5 times in a video for me. There are rare instances of it jumping ahead 5 seconds for no reason as well.

I've gone back to progressive which has been okay so far since the videos load up fast for me.

This happens to me too, but only one 1 of my computers. Both are Win7/chrome, but it only happens on my laptop. No idea why. All my browser settings, etc. are exactly the same, and I don't think it's a computer performance thing either.

#104 Posted by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

I used to use Firefox on this site constantly but the video player was amazingly broken for it. Through the course of experimentation I found that I tend to have better luck with chrome.

#105 Posted by psylah (2177 posts) -

I really dislike the way seeking on the progress bar works, it is not fine enough. Goes back in chunks of 20-30 seconds.

#106 Edited by GamingMichael (106 posts) -

I haven't had a problem with the player so far, but there does appear to be an issue with the HTML5 version. It's extremely slow. I seem to have pretty good results with the Flash version ironically.

#107 Edited by altairre (1192 posts) -

@insane_shadowblade85 said:

I stopped streaming videos because it would jump back a few seconds a bunch while I'm watching it. What I mean by that is you'd hear, say, Ryan say something along the lines of, "That was crazy", and when you look at the video it would be frozen. Then you'd hear Ryan say, "That was crazy" again before the video would catch up and begin to play normally. This would happen at least 5 times in a video for me. There are rare instances of it jumping ahead 5 seconds for no reason as well.

I've gone back to progressive which has been okay so far since the videos load up fast for me.

This happens to me too, but only one 1 of my computers. Both are Win7/chrome, but it only happens on my laptop. No idea why. All my browser settings, etc. are exactly the same, and I don't think it's a computer performance thing either.

Exactly the same problem here. I doesn't happen with all of the videos but when it does, it skips quite often. I watch most of the content on youtube anyway but that's obviously not possible with the subscriber videos.

#108 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2775 posts) -

I don't like complaining, but this is just rotten. The player stopping and going back to that start makes trying to watch anything on the site a chore. Coming to Giant Bomb shouldn't be a chore.

#109 Posted by SpaceRunaway (865 posts) -

I don't really have any issues that haven't been brought up already, but I just wanted to express my hope that this is actually going to get fixed, now that mrpibb is on the case.

Because god damn, that thing is a mess.

Also <3 Rorie. If you are mean to him, I will fight you.

#110 Posted by Max_Cherry (1133 posts) -

I also have many issues with the video player.

#111 Edited by CptMorganCA (206 posts) -

I haven't scrolled through a ton of responses to see if other people are having this problem, but when I use the GB video player, it will often glitch up and start playing audio from 10 seconds earlier, and freeze until the rewinded audio catches up with the video. And it will do this every 2 or 3 minutes.

The problems with the video player would be less of an issue, since I can watch a lot of the site's content with the YouTube player, but I cannot do this with Premium content.

#112 Edited by Bakumatsu (355 posts) -

I think this problem was already posted here but everytime I watch a video on my tablet, the audio skips ahead of the video a few seconds, getting worse as the video continues.

#113 Posted by TruthTellah (9081 posts) -

Over the last few days, I have started having problems with video randomly loading into different parts of the video. In other words, I'll be watching and then click to go back two minutes, and it will be something like thirty minutes behind. Then I'll try to get back and the video will be showing a timestamp that's all wrong. The same has happened with the podcast. When I tried to get back to a hour in, it louded up as two hours in, and clicking around on the loading bar caused it to just go to whenever it darn well pleased. It's making it a bit difficult to enjoy long videos and the podcast.

What happened last Friday to make everything on the site suddenly work so haphazardly?

#114 Edited by jfbguy (22 posts) -

My video stops randomly, sometimes half way in, sometimes just a few minutes in. I use the html5 player because the other players get pixelated full screen, and member stuff has no youtube. Then after it stops, if I hit the big play button that shows up it starts back form the beginning. Interestingly, when it randomly stops, if I reload the page instead, and then hit play, it will resume from where it left off, but then it will stop again. I have to download the huge HD files now, because the player just doesn't work anymore. This bug has been consistent for at least a month.

#115 Posted by Rorie (2898 posts) -

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Please remember to post your browser and general system specs when you can. That helps.

Staff
#116 Edited by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

No point in even talking about the garbage player any more they will never fix the damn thing. They do put most content up on youtube so I suggest checking out their youtube page.

#117 Posted by Ben_H (3360 posts) -

@mrpibb said:

hey guys,

apologies about the video issues. Now that E3 is done, we're going to be working on rewriting pieces of the video player to make it what it should be.

One quick question is what type of computers (CPU/memory) are you all watching videos on? The video player shouldn't be resource intensive, but I'd like to get that out of the way. Also, please try turning off Adblock and see if that helps (I know, I just need to have it as a bug that I can file w/ the player team).

I'll have something written up later this week about what our plans for video moving forward are.

Thanks and sorry again.

Happens on both my machines (videos not working, starting at the end, not stopping when the video is done. A weird one I had was when it was counting two seconds for every one second. I checked my processes and that Chrome tab was using twice the resources it normally would. So basically the video was playing twice at once).

The first is a desktop: i5 3570k, AMD Radeon 6950 2GB, 8GB of RAM, Windows 7, latest Chrome update. Have had all of the above described issues.

Second machine is a 2012 15" MacBook Pro with an i7 2.3Ghz quadcore, Nvidia 650m/Intel 4000 (issues happen when either GPU is running), 8GB RAM, OS X 10.8.4, on both the latest Chrome update and on Safari. I don't have Adblock on Safari and have had it disabled on Chrome for this site for 4 years.

#118 Edited by wjb (1662 posts) -

Well, the good news about stuff not working properly is it encourages me to download everything in HD and play it on VLC. I used to just stream content because I do not have the best Internet connection at the moment and downloading took longer than I had the patience for.

Now I try to plan ahead, and it will be hard for me to go back if things ever get fixed.

So, good job, I guess?

#119 Posted by NoRemnants (384 posts) -

The biggest problem for me is that videos just randomly stop playing. Pausing the video seems to increase the chances of it stopping, which is kinda important since most videos are near an hour long. I usually use the HTML5 player but this happens on the streaming player as well. Not sure about progressive since I don't use it due to the slow download speeds of video that way.

My Setup

• AMD Phenom X4
  • AMD Radeon 7850 (Catalyst 13.4)
  • 8GB RAM
  • Chrome 27.0.1453.116 m
  • Adblock disabled on GB.
#120 Edited by pandorasbox (303 posts) -

Just popping in to insert my agreement of this new video player. It's bad. Real bad. "low" looks worse then it did before, and i constantly have to pause to let the video load ahead. "streaming" is literally the only way i can watch a video now, and it's buggy as shit. The video skips around quite a bit while streaming the content.

Don't know who is in charge of the video player business, but come on. Seriously, the video players have gotten worse and worse with each iteration.

Edit: @mrpibb, i5 2500k @3.7ghz with an HD7950 and 8gb high performance ripjaw RAM. The video player is NOT resource intensive on my machine. My internet is not great, but it's plenty to watch videos with. I had zero issues with the previous player. Don't understand how you guys managed to change the encoding or whatever to make the videos not only look worse, but make them load slower as well. Incredible work. I know i am coming off as a prick here, but i am paying to be a member of this site and i can't even watch the content i am paying for reliably.

#121 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Unrelated, but I've been having a ton of problems using the site's Roku channel.

#122 Edited by Korolev (1707 posts) -

The streaming is bearable for me, provided that I don't try to skip (and usually it will work about 90% of the time). I use Chrome, by the way.

Having said that, I understand why people don't like the video player. It's slow, and although it mostly works for me when I try to skip, there are plenty of times when it breaks as well. Luckily YouTube works great for all quicklooks. As for the TnT stuff and the Unprofessional Friday's stuff, I download it now. I mean, why not?

#124 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

It boggles my fucking mind how difficult it still is for sites to have proper video players.

It's been over ten years since web video players became a thing, and they're still so shitty. Sometimes the cursor remains in the shape of a hand and it doesn't disappear when you let go of it, sometimes the buffering gets fucked up like the OP described, sometimes pausing the video kills it, etc..

Even Youtube, the almighty web video titan, still has some shitty ass player that has a will of its own.

#125 Edited by Lexus2jz (92 posts) -

Yea the site player is crap I pretty much just go to youtube now. Idk why they just don't embed the youtube player instead of trying to be slick and making their own.

#126 Posted by andmm (213 posts) -

Even though the player is buggy I dont think that's the real problem. The major problem with this new site is the new back-end provider which is way worse than the old one from the previous giantbomb. Add to that they changed the video compression which ammounts to a huge file size for the HD versions and you have a problem. My guess is that most US users can't really tell the difference from the old site but for international users it's been nothing short of a cluster fuck, just a terrible experience in general.

Correct if I'm wrong but this new slower server provider + videos way bigger than they used to be certainly are the reason for the shitty buffer speeds.

And I dont see them moving all the content to a new server....

#127 Posted by Rorie (2898 posts) -

@andmm said:

Even though the player is buggy I dont think that's the real problem. The major problem with this new site is the new back-end provider which is way worse than the old one from the previous giantbomb. Add to that they changed the video compression which ammounts to a huge file size for the HD versions and you have a problem. My guess is that most US users can't really tell the difference from the old site but for international users it's been nothing short of a cluster fuck, just a terrible experience in general.

Correct if I'm wrong but this new slower server provider + videos way bigger than they used to be certainly are the reason for the shitty buffer speeds.

I'm told that Akamai is going to be shifting us to a new way of processing the large video files we have. I don't have an ETA on this, unfortunately, but we've been trying to track the problems with Akamai for a while now.

Staff
#128 Posted by RonGalaxy (3168 posts) -

This thread baffles me, as I have no issue using the video player (at least not regular issues).

Have you all tried it on different browsers? Im on chrome and it works great

One small complaint, is it possible to make the time bar on the player be more precise? When I try to go back to a specific moment, it jumps to 30 seconds before or after, making it impossible to properly surf the videos content.

#129 Posted by rye256 (116 posts) -

@mrpibb: I am experiencing the audio replay issue where during play the last few seconds of audio repeat. Also when videos complete and the screen goes gray the audio restarts and the play/pause button does nothing until the page is refreshed.

Firefox 22.0 with Adblock disabled and Chrome Version 27.0.1453.116 m with Adblock disabled.

2012 MacBook ProCPU: Intel Core i7-3720QM @ 2.60GHz
GPU: GeForce GT 650M
Memory: 16GB

Dual Boot OSX and Windows 7 Ult

#130 Posted by Barrock (3533 posts) -

Struggling to get through I Love Mondays. It just keeps stopping.

#131 Posted by Glottery (1277 posts) -

Have only experienced the "video ends, but the audio starts to play again" and "random looping" issues myself, with the latter one being the only one that bothers me. Fortunately doesn't seem to be the issue with Youtube player and naturally when one has downloaded the video. Would of course love to see these issues getting fixed in any case!

#132 Posted by Blunt (60 posts) -

Can't watch anything on the site player without it stopping, bookmarking not working and the video restarting from the beginning every few minutes, rinse and repeat, so I'm reduced to YouTube for the free content and downloading the premium stuff if I could be bothered.

Site player is a sack of shit.

#133 Posted by sqrabbit (113 posts) -

I had a bunch of problems with Win7 using IE, Firefox and Chrome. I started using Safari in Win7 just to test it months ago and it's a lot easier to watch the videos on the site. I still have to go to Youtube on occasion, but not nearly as much.

Win7 Pro - i7 940 - 12GB ram - GTX 560ti

#134 Posted by SSully (4186 posts) -

It's giving me trouble as of late also. Using HTML 5(Chrome) on High it randomly will just stop the video and won't let me play again until I reload. I used to do HD, but I noticed I got more problems while playing on HD. Next time it happens ill try to get some screens.

#135 Posted by villainy (558 posts) -

I'd much rather have the video just stutter and buffer than completely stop and act like it has ended forcing me to reload the page and try again. I noticed it does the same thing if I try to watch using a browser plugin by clicking the download link which points to an Akamai problem and not an issue with the site player itself.

It really sucks. I was unable to watch anything on the site for months leading up to the Akamai switch, then was overjoyed when it finally worked great again afterwards. Now a few months after the switch and it's back to shit performance again. It's hard to tell if there are more or fewer people affected now since the bug reporting forum was wiped with the launch of the new design.

I do love how Verizon/Akamai apparently have me routing out to Chicago when I know of Akamai caches geographically closer and taking a similar length network path except with significantly lower round trip times. Point my hosts file there and my experience improves quite a bit.

Nslookups and traceroutes make for stupidly gigantic posts when everything is forced to double-spacing.

[ ~]$ nslookup v.giantbomb.com Server: 71.250.0.12 Address: 71.250.0.12#53

Non-authoritative answer:

v.giantbomb.com canonical name = video.giantbomb.com.edgesuite.net.

video.giantbomb.com.edgesuite.net canonical name = a1189.g2.akamai.net.

Name: a1189.g2.akamai.net

Address: 63.85.36.72

Name: a1189.g2.akamai.net

Address: 63.85.36.67

[~]$ tracert 63.85.36.72

Tracing route to host72.us.bosch.com [63.85.36.72]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms 1 ms 1 ms

2 12 ms 4 ms 6 ms L100.CMDNNJ-VFTTP-22.verizon-gni.net [72.73.237.1]

3 37 ms 9 ms 15 ms G0-5-4-2.CMDNNJ-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net [130.81.218.100]

4 16 ms 10 ms 13 ms xe-9-1-6-0.NY5030-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net [130.81.199.226]

5 28 ms 28 ms 38 ms 0.so-5-0-0.XL4.CHI13.ALTER.NET [152.63.64.206]

6 36 ms 42 ms 34 ms TenGigE0-7-2-0.GW2.CHI13.ALTER.NET [152.63.65.149]

7 36 ms 41 ms 44 ms akamai.customer.alter.net [152.179.92.34]

8 80 ms 74 ms 74 ms host72.us.bosch.com [63.85.36.72]

Trace complete.

#136 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (898 posts) -

Yeah, player is poop for me as well. No matter which quality and type (streaming, progressive or HTML5) I choose it just loads like crap. Just letting it play from the beginning means it will stop every 30 seconds, and it will continue to do so the entire video since it streams so slow. Progressive seems to load just as bad, the same with HTML5. Even downloading videos takes forever though, despite my internet being quite fast
For instance, trying to download the latest mailbag on High quality clocks in on an average speed of 50 KB/s. While downloading games and updates on Steam usually hits 2-3 MB/s.

#137 Posted by Parsnip (1086 posts) -

Yeah, it's pretty much impossible for me to watch anything on the site, streaming or progressive. Downloading is the only way to go.

That of course doesn't get rid of the fairly bad compression settings you guys started using when the site changed over (lets boost the bitrate but break something else in the process, great idea), but that's probably a problem for another thread.

#138 Edited by ProfessorEss (7374 posts) -

Seems to be about on par with most of the site since the relaunch. Don't get me wrong, it's endurable and I'll be the first to apologize if I'm wrong but I don't get the impression that anyone gives much of a fuck about how good or bad this site works any more. I sincerely don't mean this as a dig to anyone who works on this site, I just know that I've been there before and this site feels like where I've been before.

EDIT: Jeeeze. That sounds so negative so I thought I'd mention that this site looks fantastic on mobile devices (where most really don't) and I'll insert my favourite piece of Giant Bomb shop work for love's sake (I'm picking it out now).

Man, I still really like this one:

Ladies and gentlemen.... THE BOMBTONES!!!!!

#139 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

@hedfone said:

The current video player is complete garbage.

This is how the newest tekken quick look, looks, playing in progressive low.

And THIS is the tekken 6 psp quick look from 09, on the same progressive low setting. WTF?!

This. This is my main issue. Progressive Low looked passable to OK with the old player and equipment. Now it looks like utter crap. Did they drop the resolution down from 360 to 144 like YouTube?

#140 Posted by Kazona (3068 posts) -

I agree with pretty much everything being said here (with the exception of the stuff about Matt not being a good replacement for Dave). There are a multitude of problems with the video player that stem back to even long before the redesign. And quite honestly, I am getting fed up with it and getting more and more tempted to cancel my subscription.

As a subscriber I am paying for a product, and that product has been subpar for months now considering that a big part of that product is the video content, most of which I can't even watch live because of time difference. Obviously the fact that I live in a different part of the world isn't the staff's fault, but when I can't even reliably watch archived subscriber videos it really makes me wonder what, exactly, I'm getting out of this deal value wise... Honestly, I think very little.

#141 Posted by Kazona (3068 posts) -

@rorie said:

@andmm said:

I'm told that Akamai is going to be shifting us to a new way of processing the large video files we have. I don't have an ETA on this, unfortunately, but we've been trying to track the problems with Akamai for a while now.

Then why don't you ditch Akamai for a different host? It would seem logical to me that if someone you do business with isn't capable of providing a reliable enough service for your product that you look for someone who is. It just boggles my mind that you would continue to pay for a (clearly) lacking service, which, in turn, is leading to a lot of angry customers on your end.

#142 Edited by Rorie (2898 posts) -

@kazona said:

Then why don't you ditch Akamai for a different host? It would seem logical to me that if someone you do business with isn't capable of providing a reliable enough service for your product that you look for someone who is. It just boggles my mind that you would continue to pay for a (clearly) lacking service, which, in turn, is leading to a lot of angry customers on your end.

The issue's a little bigger than GB, since Akamai's used for all of CBSi, I believe, and there's plenty of contractual stuff that goes along with that. I don't think anyone else in the building puts out videos of the length or size that we do, so I'm sure that's one of the causes for the issues we're having. We've certainly looked at other options, though. For now we're going to try shifting off to their other method of delivering videos and see if that helps. There are issues with Akamai and also issues with our video player, though, and those are two separate things. We've also tasked another engineer to look at the video player stuff, though, so hopefully a fresh pair of eyes will help with some of this stuff.

We also will likely be doing some kind of survey relating to these issues to collate feedback and ensure that we get the information that we need to make these issues reproducible. We can reproduce a lot of them, but it's usually best to know what kind of computer specs someone's running at, what their net speeds are, what browser they're using, etc. Sometimes people provide that information in threads like these, which is helpful, but a lot of the time people just post their issues which makes it difficult to try and recreate them on our end.

Trust me, we're all aware that this player isn't offering a great experience to a lot of people - it doesn't work very well for a lot of us, either. Unfortunately, it's been a problem for a while and it isn't going to get fixed overnight. But it's definitely a priority for us to make the experience better. I'll try to keep you guys in the loop when we make changes that might affect how the video player works and get your feedback as we go along.

Staff
#143 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

@rorie: Thanks Rorie, it's nice to have a response from the team! I hope you remain the Sexual Dinosaur we all know and love. Rar.

#144 Edited by Brackynews (4083 posts) -

I'm an RSS user so I never really care much about the player, but I will mention that within the past week, Youtube has been giving me issues with drops and pauses that need to be skipped over and restarted.

Sometimes these things are endemic to the internet itself and not about one site or its player code. If your argument is "my internet is blazing fast so it's not me" well no it's not you, but neither do you understand how the internet actually works, if you're blaming the other guy while also ignoring the tens of thousands of middlemen. If one packet route is taking an extra 50ms to reach you, eventually that's going to outstrip the buffer. You can increase your buffer to the memory limits of your player, or you can download the video first and avoid the issue.

@hedfone: @theunsavedhero: I had a thread on this a while back too. The new Low encoding has settings that completely choke with fast movement. I posted two Simcity screenshots for comparison. Since LowQ videos are what my "get everything" feeds are, I'd like it if it was better (read: like the old site), but honestly it doesn't matter that Jartime or Motorbike is hi-def. To me it's an unnecessarily large podcast. :)

@lexus2jz said:

Idk why they just don't embed the youtube player instead of trying to be slick and making their own.

Um. Like this?

#145 Posted by Lexus2jz (92 posts) -

@brackynews: That's members only. I'm not going to pay for something when I can get it free on YouTube.

#146 Posted by Brackynews (4083 posts) -

@lexus2jz: Sounds like you don't have much to be concerned about then.

#147 Posted by Lexus2jz (92 posts) -

@brackynews: I was never concerned in the first place. Do you even know what concerned means?

#148 Posted by GaspoweR (3029 posts) -

@pweidman said:

Ever since Dave left, issues with the site, of which there have been many functional ones, are not being addressed or fixed. Dave please come back and fix this shit. :)

Well Dave wasn't necessarily the one entirely responsible with the bug fixes in terms of the technically side since his real work was more on the website design aspect. Alexis and the other engineers were pretty much responsible for that part. People that we do need to have are @coonce but he's with Tested/BermanBraun now.

#149 Edited by dvdwalker8 (389 posts) -

Before the update I was able to watch videos in high quality progressive without any issues. Now when I do that it runs terribly. Not smooth at all. Like when the frame rate dips out in a game. I watch stuff in low progressive now and the video quality is awful. I end up having to just listen to the video instead of watching it. If I watch Quick Looks, I select the Youtube option and that is better. I was excited when they announced the resume feature for videos but the player makes streaming videos awful and slow. End up just buffering out the video each time I don't finish a 2hr video. I have cable internet and use Chrome as my browser. I have a 3 year old laptop that runs Windows 7 64bit, 2GB of RAM, and whatever cheapy video card came with the thing. Intel Celeron CPU 900 @2.2GHz.

#150 Posted by TylerDurden4321 (44 posts) -

@pr1mus said:
Also screw locking the Youtube player behind the subscription. Jeff eventually said the logic behind this decision was that they get less ad money from the Youtube player since not all of it goes to Giant Bomb. So by this logic it's better to send people to Youtube entirely instead of having them watch content from the site and see the rest of the ads on Giant Bomb?

Seeing how much money some really dumb, super-unprofessional, 1-guy/girl-show YouTube gaming-casts are making... I really doubt Giant Bomb has done the math on that.
In other words: I agree with your questioning 100%.