Video quality is suddenly terrible

doublezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't know what's happened, but the last couple of Quick Looks posted (Dark Souls 2 PC, and Titanfall 360) look absolutely terrible.

The Titanfall video is only 30fps rather than the usual 60, and looks like it's running through a really bad encoder - macroblocking everywhere, even on static images. (menus/loading screens)

The YouTube version of the Dark Souls 2 video was actually higher bitrate than the subscriber video, when you consider that YouTube was 1.3GB for a 720p30 video, and the subscriber video was 1.8GB for 720p60.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Yeah, I noticed that too. I should say that I had the video player set to HTML 5 and the quality set to HD. That said, both the videos mentioned above looked quite bad. Oh, and I use Chrome, for what that's worth.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I suspect that this has something to do with the fixes Vinny went in and did following the re-encode of Unprofessional Fridays, but man that Titanfall quick look looks like garbage. At first I thought it was the game... but then I watched the DS2 PC QL, and it's almost as bad.

Regardless, this'll probably be fixed when the duders get back from PAX.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ottoman673: The hilarious part is that this affects two videos that only exist as graphics comparisons lol. I actually thought Titanfall 360 looked this shitty until I saw this thread.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes those last two quick looks have very bad artifacts whenever the camera is in motion. It's the same for all settings and youtube. Hope it gets straightened out.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Visceral Cleanup Detail looked a bit choppy to me too and I wasn't sure if it was the game or not. Brad or Vinny didn't comment on it so I think it's the video too.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah, I was showing the Titanfall 360 QL to someone and even they mentioned how bad the video quality was, and they don't even watch other GB videos to compare against.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@00 said:

I don't know what's happened, but the last couple of Quick Looks posted (Dark Souls 2 PC, and Titanfall 360) look absolutely terrible.

The Titanfall video is only 30fps rather than the usual 60, and looks like it's running through a really bad encoder - macroblocking everywhere, even on static images. (menus/loading screens)

The YouTube version of the Dark Souls 2 video was actually higher bitrate than the subscriber video, when you consider that YouTube was 1.3GB for a 720p30 video, and the subscriber video was 1.8GB for 720p60.

Well to be fair I don't think Titanfall 360 runs at 60fps.