Videos won't play on mobile site

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mrcraggle

During the beta videos would play fine on the new site but then the options for HD, High and Low were added which completely broke videos for me. I'd like to note that I am using Windows Phone 8 which runs IE 10 mobile.

Here's just an example of what happens:

Regular video with quality options
Regular video with quality options
What happens after clicking play
What happens after clicking play
Controls completely disappear after 2nd click
Controls completely disappear after 2nd click
Whole box quickly dims when pressed
Whole box quickly dims when pressed

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This happens to me too. I'm using Dolphin Browser on Android but I tried with Opera Mobile and Boat Browser with the same results.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

This is happening to me too. Safari browser on iOS 6.1. Across the board!

Mabemjolnir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I am also having this problem today on my Lumia 920 windows 8 phone. Thanks.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Nilazz

Having the same problem.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here. I'm using whatever the default browser is on Kindle Fire. The download link doesn't show up, either.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mrcraggle

Hmmm, interesting that other people are having this issue. I thought being IE and WP8 (not the most popular options) that may have been the reason why. Dave has said about his dislike for coding for IE before but I'm guessing the videos on the mobile site are just broken if they also don't work in Safari, Dolphin, Opera and others.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mrcraggle

Hmmm, interesting that other people are having this issue. I thought being IE and WP8 (not the most popular options) that may have been the reason why. Dave has said about his dislike for coding for IE before but I'm guessing the videos on the mobile site are just broken if they also don't work in Safari, Dolphin, Opera and others.

beejalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By beejalt

I can check with the default android browser once my premium account gets unfucked and I can get on the mobile site.

Edit: Evidently the mobile site is no longer a premium benefit?!?!? Anyways videos work fine on the default android browser.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beejalt: Do you get the options for quality like in the screen shots I posted?

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By yoshimitz707

I'm getting something similar but there are no video options. Just a black square with the big red play button over it. I've had it load in fully like twice and work fine. But my 50 or so other tries have resulted in being unable to even get the play button to react to my touch. iPad on iOS 6.1 using Safari.

Rothael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same issue on Android browser for me. The staff seem to be treating mobile functionality with low-low priority at this point. I would also like the ability to download to my phone again; that's mostly why I paid for the subscription.

alexisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@rothael said:

Same issue on Android browser for me. The staff seem to be treating mobile functionality with low-low priority at this point. I would also like the ability to download to my phone again; that's mostly why I paid for the subscription.

Option to download movies in mobile were added early today but can only be done from within the video section right now. Not off the front page (I'll get to that).

@bibamatt said:

This is happening to me too. Safari browser on iOS 6.1. Across the board!

Videos should be working in Safari.... Obviously we have had some site stability problems from the initital launch. Hopefully these things will resolve.

@mrcraggle: Thank you for the super detailed bug report. I'll have to check with our video guy. I know the MS surface has some peculiarities which we need to iron out. The windows phone issues may be related.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mrcraggle: Went to check and the site isn't loading at all on my phone anymore.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexisg: I actually didn't realise about the download button so I just tried it on my Lumia 920 and got it to work. As described in the caption of the image below, I found I was actually able to stream the videos this way. This will open up a separate page with the video link then launch the video in the WP player. This is actually a limitation with IE 10 mobile not being able to download files, only stream them. If anyone with a Lumia 920 or other WP, try UC Browser. Using this same method, you can choose to either stream or download from clicking the download button.

Clicking one of these options will stream the video but not download.

Naessie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having the same issues stated above by other duders, but I'm using chrome on iPad 3 iOS 6.1. The download option will suffice for now :)

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually didn't realise about the download button so I just tried it on my Lumia 920 and got it to work. As described in the caption of the image below, I found I was actually able to stream the videos this way. This will open up a separate page with the video link then launch the video in the WP player. This is actually a limitation with IE 10 mobile not being able to download files, only stream them. If anyone with a Lumia 920 or other WP, try UC Browser. Using this same method, you can choose to either stream or download from clicking the download button.

UC browser works

deathmuppet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On Android 2.3.7, nothing happens when i click either the play button or the download button. I've tried in the stock browser and in Boat Browser with the same results.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As stated above, use the download button and select mobile to get the video to work on windows phone 8. Using a Lumia 822 here.

Dinosaurs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dinosaurs

@deathmuppet: I've got a workaround for this. Longpress the download button and Save link to download the .htm file. Open that up and you'll get a very basic view of just links. Scroll down until you see Download where it will list Mobile, Low, Med, High. Click mobile and you'll be given the choice of download or execute. It's an annoying workaround but it works just fine.

furiousjodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By furiousjodo

Similar issues on my SurfaceRT and Windows Phone 8 - it seems you can't select HTML5 until you've already started the videos now? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, though I wouldn't mind it if I could set the default to HTML5. The download workaround works on the phone but not on RT from what I can tell.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mrcraggle

@furiousjodo: On your Surface is there no playback bar at the bottom of the video before you play it? Screenshots would also help which applies to people having problems.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By golguin

I can't play anything on my iTouch since the site relaunched. I click the red and white arrow icon to pay and the screen just stays black.

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LucidDreams117

I too have the exact same issue with Windows Phone 8 and RT. Alexis and crew already know about it and are on it. I'd post screenshots but the other problem is even on my Surface, the forum controls are bare minimum. No full reply/edit with all the bells and whistles. Just a blank text box. I can't even reply directly to posts. No quotes. Nothing. Makes me sad :(

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mrcraggle

@golguin: Have you tried the work around I posted above in the meantime? The engineers are very aware of the problem but at the moment, they're priority is site stability.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: Have you tried the work around I posted above in the meantime? The engineers are very aware of the problem but at the moment, they're priority is site stability.

I haven't tried anything yet. The forums didn't work for a while on mobile and then they did. I'm sure they'll get to playing videos on the mobile site eventually. I just posted to add the iTouch to the list of things that didn't play since I'm not sure what browser version it uses.

furiousjodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcraggle Nope, just buttons that say high, low, and hd.

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same! Also doesn't work on iPad.

warja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you need a premium account to see the download option in UC Browser? Mine's displaying exactly the same as IE :/