When did they stop posting premium Bombcasts?

mfunk9786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

First the E3 Day 3 show didn't post to the premium feed, and now it's been over an hour and there's no premium 6/28/2016 show. Did they stop making these and not tell anybody? It's a major reason why I subscribe.

kingspeedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you sure you're checking the correct feed? The premium bombcast has its own.

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/premiumbombcast/

mfunk9786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They don't show up in the RSS feed - just deleted and re-added it to my podcast app, and the 6/21 Bombcast remains the most recent one.

mfunk9786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

E3 Day 3 is there now though!

kingspeedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strange. The xml file appears up-to-date. It sounds like your podcast app might be the culprit.

mfunk9786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Extra strange, never been a problem before. Thanks.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hunkulese

To each their own but it always boggles my mind that a major reason you'd want to give them money is to not hear a minute or two of ads goofily read on a 3 hour podcast.

Did they add something else to the premium podcast?

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I dont have todays premium bombcast on my feed. Using pocketcast on Android.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Arabes

@hunkulese: I'm the same as the OP. I don't want to hear those ads at all. The only thing worse than an ad is an ad for shit I can't even fucking buy most of the time. It's not why I subscribe but it's nice. Although with Austin gone from the East coast I'm not sure if I'll be resubscribing this year. I haven't found most of the paid for content to be that good recently.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@hunkulese: I listen to the Bombcast when running and those ads really break up the flow for me. I just want to get back to the conversation and when you're running for an hour a 2 minute ad seems to go on forever.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

To each their own but it always boggles my mind that a major reason you'd want to give them money is to not hear a minute or two of ads goofily read on a 3 hour podcast.

I'm paying for it, so I may as well skip the ads since I'm given the option to.

elcalavera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've been a premium member since the beginning, but have never listened to the premium feed. After all, I'm paying to see what Small Business Man gets up to next.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've been a premium member since the beginning, but have never listened to the premium feed. After all, I'm paying to see what Small Business Man gets up to next.

Small Business Man died dude. Fucking tragic.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: No, they didn't add anything to the premium podcast. I gave them money for the very sake of giving them money, but since I have given them money, I am happy to take advantage of what I've paid for, and one of those benefits is listening to an ad-free podcast and watching ad-free videos and looking at an ad-free site. I love these guys and they do ads rather well for what they are, but they are still ads and I still don't like them.

It equally boggles my mind that whenever someone wonders where the premium podcast is, someone else has to chime in and ask why the ads bother them. Who cares why. They like what they like.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I listened to the non-premium feed for a long time when the ads were always funny, but after a while they started to feel less entertaining and sorta just reading the same copy week after week about Ex Machina or virtual trading cards or whatever. Maybe they've improved since, I dunno, but I don't feel particularly compelled to go back.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By rorie

We checked the RSS feed last week and the Premium Bombcast went up at the same time as the regular Bombcast; I didn't check it this week again, but I'm told that Brad hit the publish buttons at the same time, or with the Premium version even a bit before, like he normally does. If they hit the RSS feeds at the same time, that's about the limit of what we can do on our end; it definitely seems like there are at least a few podcast apps out there that seem to lag on updating feeds that require authentication. We'd love for this not to be the case, but it's difficult to track any issues down with the dozens of different apps out there that people use.

If you have this problem in the future, please do reply to this with the name of your podcast app and maybe some common threads will come to light. But as far as I've ever been able to tell the podcasts are published as simultaneously as possible on our end and hit the RSS feeds at almost exactly the same time.

Avatar image for digitaldiatribe
digitaldiatribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By digitaldiatribe

I've been having this problem @rorie. Months ago, I wouldn't see the Premium Bombcast until hours it was published (I got tired of waiting so I went back to the normal feeds and that works fine). Right now, it doesn't see the Power Bombcast that was posted today. I'm using Overcast on iOS. Since they're premium feeds, I've had to put in my username and password in the url of the feed for it to work in the past, but since then, it hasn't kept up to date.

Last post I asked about this was in the Bombcast subforum under 2 months ago: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bombcast-32/adding-premium-podcast-feed-onto-overcast-podcast--1493652/?page=2#js-message-69

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been having this problem @rorie. Months ago, I wouldn't see the Premium Bombcast until hours it was published (I got tired of waiting so I went back to the normal feeds and that works fine). Right now, it doesn't see the Power Bombcast that was posted today. I'm using Overcast on iOS. Since they're premium feeds, I've had to put in my username and password in the url of the feed for it to work in the past, but since then, it hasn't kept up to date.

Last post I asked about this was in the Bombcast subforum under 2 months ago: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bombcast-32/adding-premium-podcast-feed-onto-overcast-podcast--1493652/?page=2#js-message-69

All we can control on our end is when the podcasts are published; as far as I know all premium versions of podcasts are published at the exact same time as the non-premium versions. The Bombcast episode has a publish of 1:00 PM PST in the RSS feed:

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/

Beyond that, I've heard of some podcast apps that have a hard time syncing up with premium podcast feeds, and Overcast does come up as a name from time to time. Unfortunately that seems to be an issue with the player rather than anything on our end, so I would get in touch with the app developer and see if they have any solutions for you.

Avatar image for digitaldiatribe
digitaldiatribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By digitaldiatribe

@rorie: Thanks Rorie. I looked into it further. It does appear to be a problem with Overcast. I tried 2 other iOS podcast apps (Downcast and Castro) and they pulled the latest podcasts properly on all 3 premium feeds (Bombcast, Beastcast, Premium). I've contacted the Overcast dev again about it and I'll be using one of the alternate apps for the time being.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@digitaldiatribe: Yeah, it's weird how some apps have trouble with it! I wish I could do more troubleshooting with them, but there are dozens of podcast apps out there and some of them just don't like authenticated feeds for some reason. Sorry for the trouble!

SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone tell me how to add the premium podcasts to overcast? I enter http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/ and I get a 'Not Found: Could not find a podcast feed at this URL'

Same error at: http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premiumbombcast

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By gkhan

@spicyrichter:Try https://username:password@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/, replacing "username" and "password" with your own username and password. IMPORTANT: make sure you use "https" instead of "http", because otherwise this will send your username and password across the internet in cleartext. It's outrageous that the premium RSS feeds don't use HTTPS by default.

@rorie: are you guys ever gonna fix this? It absurd that premium users are sending their passwords in cleartext across the internet, and it's been years like this now. auth.giantbomb.com uses HTTPS for this very reason. Literally, it's a one character fix, just change "http" to "https" in your premium podcast RSS feed links. I get that it's hard to fix for all the old users who have to resubscribe (though you should do that as well, because seriously, WTF!?), but the very least you can do is fix it for new people adding premium podcast feeds.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm a premium member but I don't mind tha podcast ads. I've actually checked out some of the advertised products which is rare for me. If small business man is impressed then so am I.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gkhan: I'll see what I can do, but it's obviously not entirely up to me.