Why has Giantbomb disabled watching videos on Chromecast?

thethirdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thethirdman

Went to watch UPF in Chrome on android and cast it to my TV as I do every week and it says "Unable to cast video due to site restrictions".

I went back and tested videos I had previously watched through Chromecast and they say the same thing.

Why are you blocking the use of Chromecast?

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giantbomb hates freedom.

laika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By laika

Went to watch UPF in Chrome on android and cast it to my TV as I do every week and it says "Unable to cast video due to site restrictions".

I went back and tested videos I had previously watched through Chromecast and they say the same thing.

Why are you blocking the use of Chromecast?

We are not doing anything to intentionally block Chromecast. I don't know why that's happening. Is it every video on the site? Can you try it with a gamespot.com video?

thethirdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thethirdman

@laika: Yes, it is every video. Checked Gamespot and they give the same restriction message.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That's strange, it works fine for me under the same circumstances.

thethirdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried again on Chrome Beta on Nexus 5, normal Chrome on Nexus 7, and normal Chrome on Galaxy S3, all on 2 different wifi networks - still get site restriction message.

Steps:

Play a video in the browser. It will play the html5 version.

Press to full screen.

Chromecast icon will show in top left.

On pressing it says "Unable to cast video due to site restrictions".

Happens to all GB and GS videos.

Works fine on other sites.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't have an android device to test with but casting a chrome tab from my pc and watching a GB video fullscreen works fine for me.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By the_hiro_abides

Since you're using chromecast can't you just use Giantbomb video buddy app? I feel like I read a note in the app and the forum here about it.

Bryce525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya same thing happens to me. Chromecast is the major way I view GB content. If that is how it is going forth I'll have to reconsider my subscription. Not trying to be a dick, but casting UPF accounts for a lot of the value for me.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jorbit

I just used GB Video Buddy to do this like 3 hours ago. Worked fine.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm literally casting to chromecast now and it works fine. What region do you live in?

Bryce525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm I live in the southeast. I'm talking about casting from a tablet when you enlarge a video with the chrome browser and press cast on the top left. Not casting a tab. YouTube works fine for free content. I don't really want to try a second party app, and I looked at it on the play store and it said no premium.

thethirdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laika: anything happening with this? Not much point having a premium subscription if I can't watch premium content on my TV.

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dayve86
thethirdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dayve86: It doesn't do subscriber content. There were no problems casting from Chrome until about a week ago so something must have changed on the back end.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Baillie

@thethirdman said:

@dayve86: It doesn't do subscriber content. There were no problems casting from Chrome until about a week ago so something must have changed on the back end.

I assure you, it does do Subscriber content. Go to settings and link the code you get at http://giantbomb.com/boxee.

HelloDanni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HelloDanni

@bryce525: This is most likely a chromecast issue and not a Giantbomb issue. Have you tried clearing the browser's cache? Checking for app updates? Searching Chromecast support threads?

Preliminary search brings up this: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=336823

Seems to be discussing the same issue. They think it's happening on videos that don't have CORS enabled. I don't know if GB videos do or don't have that enabled, perhaps that's something they can check.

Is your tablet the only available device to stream from? Because PC tab casting still seems to work perfectly fine for the site.

soup_menu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By soup_menu

I just did a quick bit of testing and it appears that the Auto quality setting will fail, but HD/High/Low will work. Picking a specific quality will point the browser right at an mp4 file, which Chromecast can easily handle, but Auto makes use of HLS, which--as @hellodanni mentions--can run into CORS issues. The default Chromecast media receiver is hosted on gstatic.com, so I believe (though I could certainly be wrong) if GB/GS can add it to their allowed origins for CORS that will clear things up.

In the meantime, you should be able to get around the issue by selecting a specific quality before you start streaming. If that isn't working you could also try Giant Bomb Video Buddy, though that's a bit of a self-serving suggestions since I wrote the thing. :)

Bryce525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ended up using video buddy which I now prefer. Thanks!