#1 Posted by DeF (4887 posts) -

Was just uploading a developer logo (new CD Projekt RED logo) and it turned black. It was a PNG with transparent background. Now it's a JPG. PNGs have worked flawlessly before. Noticed this first a while ago with some angled box shots.

Is this a bug or a "feature" that was silently introduced? It certainly messed up a few main images in the wiki.

#2 Posted by Rorie (2888 posts) -

@def: This was something we did for compression purposes a while back but I thought it was reverted. @mrpibb probably has more info.

Staff
#3 Posted by mrpibb (470 posts) -

we did this to lower page size, i'll talk to @alexisg about it if we want to turn it off on wikis.

#4 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@def said:

It certainly messed up a few main images in the wiki.

Not just the wiki. It seems to do that for all images. I noted as much a while ago.

#5 Posted by alexisg (383 posts) -

@video_game_king: Let me think about what the best places will be to allow transparent images. Obviously using them in the header seems to make sense. We have been selectively allowing them in some places. We used to allow them everywhere but we would end up with these crazy gallery pages with 50 images all PNGs and the entire page would be like 50mb. Obviously that might not sounds like a ton, but it was really impacting our site performance.

Staff
#6 Posted by DeF (4887 posts) -

@alexisg: Is it possible to add a "this image uses transparencies" button to the image tool in the wiki/blog/whatever? So that if one adds an image, it is off by default and uses a jpg version and if the image uses transparencies, you can choose to enable the png version? Or is that too complex to implement?

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@def said:

@alexisg: Is it possible to add a "this image uses transparencies" button to the image tool in the wiki/blog/whatever? So that if one adds an image, it is off by default and uses a jpg version and if the image uses transparencies, you can choose to enable the png version? Or is that too complex to implement?

Or maybe use the JPEG version for image galleries, but when you post it, it goes back to PNG? Or would that only create more space?

#8 Edited by bobafettjm (1487 posts) -

I have noticed it messing up default images also, although mostly on company logos.