#1 Posted by Gold_Skulltulla (209 posts) -

Looking at the way the title is written on various boxart images, it seems like it might actually be written "Bump'n' Jump", with no space between the "p" and first apostrophe. There seems to be an agreed upon spelling the way it's currently on GB an in an instruction manual scan I found as "Bump 'n' Jump," sometimes with a capital "N," but that just doesn't seem right. I was thinking maybe the apostrophes make the title an contraction of "Bumping Jump" instead of "Bump and Jump." If 'n' is supposed to be "and," I've never seen it with two apostrophes before. Steak 'n Shake is spelled with one apostrophe, for example. Does anyone agree with me, or should I just let this sleeping dog lie?

#2 Posted by Orbitz (67 posts) -

I don't mean to sound like a dick.. But does this matter?

#3 Edited by Gold_Skulltulla (209 posts) -

@orbitz: Just trying to make sure the wiki is accurate, so yeah, I think as far as video game database references go, it matters. Obviously it doesn't really matter, but that's not a qualifier for a video game forum topic.

#4 Posted by Orbitz (67 posts) -

@gold_skulltulla: I think that the spacing of the letters isn't really important in this instance, But that's just me. I mean Bump'n' Jump or Bump 'N' Jump. I don't think either is incorrect.

It could also just be the way the font looks.

#5 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

This name sounds like a raunchier name for a one-night stand.

#6 Edited by Brackynews (4049 posts) -

I could be convinced it was Bumping Jump.

#7 Posted by HatKing (5836 posts) -

I'd argue that Bumping Jump doesn't make any sense, but we're talking about video game titles here, so. You're definitely right, it does look like Bump'n' Jump on the box. But that could also just be poor graphic design. Keep in mind the era this came out, most of that kind of artwork was outsourced. The people responsible were pretty rarely familiar with the game. I mean, look at the first few Mega Man covers. It isn't that much of a stretch to believe they'd fuck up the title, just as easily as they fuck up what the characters look like.

#8 Posted by HatKing (5836 posts) -

I'd argue that Bumping Jump doesn't make any sense, but we're talking about video game titles here, so. You're definitely right, it does look like Bump'n' Jump on the box. But that could also just be poor graphic design. Keep in mind the era this came out, most of that kind of artwork was outsourced. The people responsible were pretty rarely familiar with the game. I mean, look at the first few Mega Man covers. It isn't that much of a stretch to believe they'd fuck up the title, just as easily as they fuck up what the characters look like.

#9 Edited by Hamst3r (4458 posts) -
#10 Posted by Gold_Skulltulla (209 posts) -

@hamst3r: You've convinced me. As much as I like the idea of the game being called Bumping Jump, there is precedent for 'n'. I still think the way they spaced in in the titles is confusing though.

#11 Edited by Jeff (3425 posts) -

When in doubt, try to find a non-stylized (meaning not a logo) version of the spelling from the original publisher on its first platform, preferring US conventions to Japan or other parts of the world. In this case, Data East USA put out this flyer for the arcade version...

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=160&image=2

Bump 'N' Jump.

Staff
#12 Posted by Jeff (3425 posts) -

This is the sort of stuff that keeps me up at night.

If you want to see something truly weird, look at this ridiculous "story" that Midway tried to insert into the game (by putting it on this flyer and probably never mentioning it ever again) when they licensed it from Data East for wider distribution... http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=161&image=2

Jumpin' John?

Staff