What was the most recent Call of Duty game you bought?

• 96 results
SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Poll What was the most recent Call of Duty game you bought? (337 votes)

2003 - Call of Duty 1%
2005 - Call of Duty 2 2%
2006 - Call of Duty 3 1%
2007 - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 12%
2008 - Call of Duty: World at War 2%
2009 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 21%
2010 - Call of Duty: Black Ops 17%
2011 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 9%
2012 - Call of Duty: Black Ops II 20%
2013 - Call of Duty: Ghosts 14%
2014 - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (pre-ordered or recently purchased) 8%
2014 - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (not yet, but I plan to buy it soon) 2%
I've never bought a Call of Duty game 10%

People are always talking about where the series peaked, and where it started to go downhill, so I thought this would make an interesting poll. Just when did you stop buying these games, anyhow? Or have you stopped?

Please note that I'm asking, chronologically speaking, what was the most recent Call of Duty game you bought. If you bought Ghosts when it was released, but just yesterday you bought a used copy of World at War for 2.99, you should vote for Ghosts.

• 
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I know I bought 3, I think I then rented 4 rather than buying it and never bought another one after that.

Harknett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Harknett

I really enjoyed Call of Duty 4, put a ton of time into the multiplayer. I then skipped World at War, but picked up Modern Warfare 2 when it came out. MW2 was fun and I enjoyed the storyline, but the multiplayer was too similar to MW1 and the magic was lost on me. I haven't touched a Call of Duty game since.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I bought BO2 on sale a few months ago, but I have not touched a COD game since MW2.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By AlexW00d

I don't think I've ever personally bought one. I played 1, 4, 5, and 6 through family, and any others I've played during Steam free weekends.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I bought the original black ops when it was new in 2010 because I was curious about CoD, I didn't enjoy it that much, so I've ignored the franchise ever since.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

I have AW pre ordered, but the last one I bought before that was Black Ops 2. I'm a big enough fan of the series that I buy all of them day one, except for Ghosts. That game is an embarrassment.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The last one I bought was MW2, I put a crazy amount of hours into that. I rented Black Ops and Black Ops 2 (kinda miss Blockbuster now) and borrowed my brothers copy of MW3. For whatever reason, none of them ever grabbed me like MW2 did.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought Ghosts and tried to like that game for a period of a month. I gave up and went back to Blops II.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I got MW3 for Christmas one year. It's the last one that I finished and got a significant amount of play time from.

My brother got Black Ops 2 at launch and I couldn't get into it at all. I bought Titanfall myself and still play it from time to time.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MW2

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

Never bought one. Even at their height they've never been for me.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Marcsman

Ghosts, and it will be my last COD for quite awhile.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bigmess

I bought Ghosts back around when I picked up my PS4. And boy, do I hate the multiplayer.

If I can play as Kevin Spacey then I might be sold on this new one. But it's all just shooting dudes, and I think I'm kinda done with the ol' left-trigger, right-trigger.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I've owned the first two games, 4 and Black Ops 1. 2 and 4 being my favorites by far. The multiplayer hours declined horrifyingly as well. 100's in 2, 60 or so in 4 and 6 in BlOps. Haven't had any interest in the series since.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call of Duty 2: Big Red One. It was okay, I guess.

Rented Modern Warfare 1 years ago to see what the hype was about and found the campaign to be pretty good, but the multiplayer just never grabbed me for whatever reason.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ezekiel

The only Call of Duty I bought is 4. My brother bought Big Red One. I played 1, 2, MW2 and MW3 for free. I lost interest with MW3.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By notnert427

I think the original Modern Warfare (CoD4) was the best overall game in the series. I enjoyed MW2 and MW3 a great deal, though those games elicited a lot of "I'm going to say this sucks because it's wildly popular and hasn't changed much" hate from the internet. Black Ops and World at War were fine games in their own right as well. (I didn't play Black Ops II, but people seemed to like it.) I bought Ghosts because it's the only real FPS multiplayer option for the next-gen that wasn't broken, but it's just not a very good game. The multiplayer in Ghosts seems to only reward two playstyles, and those are bitchcamping or putting every speed perk on and blazing around the map hipfiring SMGs/shotguns, neither of which I remotely enjoy doing. I don't know it's just poor map design, the FPS community gravitating to those two extremes, or some combination of both, but it's certainly less fun. And why the hell did they remove theater mode? Throw in cheesy, stupid shit like weed/meme weapon skins/outfits, and it's pretty much impossible to even take the game seriously.

I'm out for Advanced Warfare, partly because Ghosts was highly disappointing, and partly because all this speedy cyborg-soldier garbage just seems ridiculous to me and takes the series even further in the wrong direction, IMO. As much as people crapped on the series for the similar Modern Warfare iterations, I personally miss those games. They got a whole lot right in terms of console FPS multiplayer, as the only other games I've had more fun with in this genre were Rainbow Six 3 and OG Halo. That wasn't good enough for the internet, though. The internet demanded change. No one could really articulate what they wanted changed, but everyone hopped on the nondescript change bandwagon. Confused folks at Activision brainstormed, trying to think of how to throw in "New!" crap to satiate the entitled masses without ruining the game. And early on, they mostly succeeded, by throwing in zombie modes and changing up the games' setting a bit. That wasn't good enough, though. "More nondescript change!", cried the internet. So they made it faster and threw in more perks and killstreak bonuses and other bullshit that made the game worse.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering who the fuck enjoys the actual gameplay of laying down in a stupid room/corner and aiming at an opening, surrounded by camper mines. That, or putting all the speed mods on and blazing around spamming bullets in the general direction of people to exploit the way-too-forgiving aim assist/hit markers. Oh, but if they do that long enough, maybe they'll get a helicopter killstreak to get kills for them. Seeing +100 and having no fucking idea how that kill even happened is so much fun. What matters is that it happened, and boy, when that K/D ratio gets artificially inflated, that's the most fun possible. Forget about actually doing something skillful, it's all about that K/D ratio. Gotta quench that insecurity, bro, and what better way than having a few numbers indicate you're better than you actually are?

Here's some changes that could help. First of all, don't list the K/D ratio at all on the top of the screen or at the end of the match so people stop striving for only that. List it as an aggregate on some global leaderboard that you can't even see in-match or in-lobby. I'm not saying don't keep score or don't rank players (I hate "everyone gets a trophy" bullshit), but just make it a points system. I know it already is, but it's pretty much meaningless since the points are almost entirely kill-based. For example, assists need to count more in team deathmatch because that indicates teamwork. Make them +80 or something, so fulfilling the mode's objective matters more. Basically, shit that doesn't reward some little asshole who only cares about his K/D for sitting there selfishly not helping the team. Also, no more speed mods or mines. No more SatCom bullshit that puts everyone on radar at all times. You show up on radar for a few seconds after you fire, or if you have a suppressor on, you blip once. No more "don't show up on radar" perks. Reduce or eliminate generous hit markers/aim assist.

Also, how is there not a game mode where if you stay in the same small area for more than fifteen seconds, you die? (And no, "Cranked" wasn't it, because you can just die in that if you happen to not see anyone to shoot, which is dumb.) Or how about a game-wide deal where you get the Oracle treatment if you just sit there like a pansy? Even a Goldeneye-esque after-match description might help curb some of this crap if the game called out "worst camper" or something. What about making class-specific modes? ARs only, snipers only, etc. There are a bunch of things they could do to make the series way better. The path it's headed down, and the FPS community's willingness to use increasingly lame strategies have lost me on the genre until shit goes back to the good times or improves. And I don't think I'm alone here. I'm going to wait and hope that Rainbow Six: Siege will provide a breath of fresh air.

Funkupotamous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Ops 1 was my last purchase. I played far too much of Modern Warfare 1 & 2 that I think I'm burned out on the franchise.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cod Blops was the last one I bought and I couldn't even be bothered to finish it.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find that skipping a year keeps the game feeling fresh. That has worked out well enough for me because I started doing that after black ops. I feel treyarch makes the better Cods now and mw3 and ghosts just didnt interest me. I am definitely preordering this new one. I love the sound design and the action seems to have changed enough to hook me in.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep buying 'em every year and have really high hopes for Advanced Warfare.

If I didn't have friends to routinely go online and talk about stuff while the game is almost in the background I think I would have fallen off the train a little after the first Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3 because that's when we all had the lowest interest. Black Ops 2 really did it for me though and it got me really invested again and gave me a lot of hope for Ghosts although it ended up being disappointing in a lot of ways.

Honestly the only way for me to form an opinion on these games is to keep buying and playing them. Jeff does a far better job at analyzing Call of Duty than a lot of other reviewers I find, but it doesn't change the fact that a reviewer can only play so much of the multiplayer to get the base idea and feel of it but cannot commit the time to get the full feel of it that I find personally necessary. I don't hold reviewers against that but when this game is pretty much multiplayer for 90% of the time while I'm playing, the only person that can determine that is me, so I just need to buy it and find out for myself at that point.

Every complaint against Call of Duty is completely justified but I think the 'holier-than-thou' attitude people have against it makes me want to keep buying, playing, and defending it every year for whatever dumb reason.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By whitegreyblack

I don't tend to get burned out on COD because I wait until it hits $20 and then only play the campaign. >_> Not the way most people consume this product, but it works for me.

That said, I last bought BLOPS; I got Ghosts for free but I have not played it since I am waiting to get BLOPS 2 for $20.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Ops 2 was my last. I just love how passionate Treyarch are at developing COD games. They always seem willing to offer more than they've been asked to make and that's where they earned my respect.

Looking forward for their next masterpiece!

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call Of Duty games are only really purchased if it's something my brother wants. I usually end up borrowing them from him. He had no interest in Ghosts so the last one was Black Ops 2. Black Ops 2 was pretty close to being the best version of their multiplayer. I'm looking forward to AW but there are too many games to get in November.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Ghosts, I didn't care for it though.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Black Ops II. I got it well after launch, because some folks were playing mp. A year past that I had nothing to play due to summer drought, and decided to give the campaign a go, because my brother said it was really good. But that guy only plays DOTA, so what does he know? Turns out, he was right, I enjoyed it quite a lot. So much so, that I'm looking forward to AW. If the reviews are decent, I'll be getting it.

JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JDDrewes

That would be MW2. I was beyond stoked for that game. I think I read literally every piece of information available about that game before it launched haha.

Then the IW debacle happened. I think Treyarch did a decent job with the Black Ops games but they weren't for me. Now Titanfall scratches the same itch that CoD used to, and ironically enough CoD might replace Titanfall for me haha.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone know if the advanced warfare review date is before the release? Or to coincide with the "Day Zero" edition?

This might be the first time I haven't bought this years COD. It's Sledgehammer Games first full COD and I'm curious. So depending on reviews I might get this.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first Black Ops game. Loved it, bought it on three different occasions and sold it twice.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Took a well deserved break from it after Black Ops 1.
Will be picking up Advanced Warfare though.
Think they are making it different enough to at least try for a bit and of course Kevin Spacey.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Ghosts. Didn't care for it. The mp maps were pretty fucking terrible which is probably my biggest complaint.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I've got Advanced Warfare pre-loaded on my Xbox One. I bought Ghosts last year because I was very desperate for an FPS on the One.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Ops II, so far the only one I've actually bought (though I've played multiplayer in all the post-4 games except Ghosts). Thought the campaign did some really interesting things from a mechanics-of-storytelling perspective, but the actual plot was real dumb. Multiplayer was same old, same old. Zombies was impenetrable.

I'm actually pretty interested in AW. Looks like its shaking things up in a good way. Also digital Kevin Spacey.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought Ghosts because at the time I needed something to play on WiiU, game sucked.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've never bought one. I played the PC demo for CoD2, but my PC was below the minimum specs for the full game. Then I played the flip phone version of it on a friends phone. It was alright too. When CoD4 came around I hated the idea of perks and unlocks. Still do. If I want to play a competitive game I want my competition to have an even footing. I want to know I won because I'm better and not because of some outside advantage. As the industry trended away from this I trended away from multiplayer games all together. Thanks CoD for ruining games.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The only one I ever bought was Modern Warfare 1. I'm not one to be drawn to modern military shooters, but there was a surprising amount of buzz around this game that looked like one in an ocean of games I didn't care about. I bought it used, hardly played it then traded it in. The single player was so narrow and guided it felt like a theme park ride and I don't think I had Xbox Live at the time, so I never touched multiplayer.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got all of them. Still one of my favorite series.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most recent in terms of release date was Ghosts cause all my PC friends were playing it, then the port was awfully done and the game was boring. In term of the date I actually bought the game it would be the first one, since I got it on Steam after I lost my disk.

Been a big Call of Duty fan for a very long time so I have high hopes for Advanced Warfare, but I don't think I'm going to get it this year.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Ops for me. That game was really good, and now that I'm thinking about it I kind of want to play through the campaign again. I'm going to wait and see how Advanced Warfare is received, but it has me interested in a CoD game for the first time since Black Ops.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only bought a couple at launch, but I've bought and played every CoD. They are always not offensively bad. I Play PvP for about 3 months then drop off because only the crazy good hardcore people are left at that point and it's not that fun for me.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb said:

I've owned the first two games, 4 and Black Ops 1. 2 and 4 being my favorites by far. The multiplayer hours declined horrifyingly as well. 100's in 2, 60 or so in 4 and 6 in BlOps. Haven't had any interest in the series since.

This is about where I'm at. Only I had about 120+ hours in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare as I didn't have multiplayer access when I had Call of Duty 2.

I haven't bought a Call of Duty since Modern Warfare 2 and even then I skipped World at War.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh. Not sure. Good question, though.

I'm thinking Black Ops was the last one I purchased. I seem to remember a lot about Modern Warfare 3, however.

Call of Duty 4 was, obviously, the most important game in the series, but I think my engagement with it really peaked around Modern Warfare 2. And on long-running franchises I think my unconscious tendency is to drop off one or two games after it starts regressing. For me, then, that likely would have been Modern Warfare 3.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Umm, I buy all of them. I am part of the problem, but they are still really good shooters.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought and enjoyed 3 through Black Ops with World at War and 3 being my favorites. I think I just got burned out on multiplayer shooters since Battlefield 3 is the only online shooter I've played since Black Ops. I'm sure I could jump in to the newest CoD and really like it but those games took up so much of my time, that and the only real option I have to play the newest one is the PS3 version since I don't have PSPlus so PS4 is out and I doubt my PC can run it adequately online.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mbradley1992

I buy all of them. I like having a yearly shooter that I know will mechanically be solid and that the online will be at worst decent. Especially after BF4 fell to crap last year...

Advanced Warfare is the first one in a long time that has me excited though.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think Modern Warfare 2 is the last one I actually bought but I rented all of them after that except for Ghosts.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CoD4 came out right around when my town had a new nice little cyber cafe, and my friends and I would go there a few nights a week and just play CoD. I bought 4 after moving and the cafe had closed, but it was never the same, so I just never bothered with another in the series outside of the seldom Steam free weekends, which never convinced me to buy the later games.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Corevi

CoD4 but I've rented/borrowed MW2, Black Ops and Black Ops 2 to play the campaigns. Multiplayer is no fun for me in these games because the average player is savage.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ended up really liking Black Ops II singleplayer story. I guess because most "modern military" shooters always have you doing some thankless behind the scenes thing that doesn't quite add up to anything, Black Ops II had some really great moments later on where all those small things added that finally exploded into a pretty great climax and resolution.