I'm surprised at how slow and clunky the movement is.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

I know, I know, its heresy, but I'm playing this for the first time and Alucard moves sooooo sloooooowllly and there's no run button or anything (yet). I'm going to stick with it but the slow movement is really frustrating. Is that just a hold-over from the NES Castlevania games or something? I played a few of the GBA Castlevanias and I don't remember them being this clunky.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I played it for the first time last year and don't remember the movement being that slow. It does get faster when you change into wolf form. I sort of got the sense that the speed of loading off a disc factored into some of the design decisions as well.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

Having played it back in the day and replayed it recently, the movement speed is something that takes a little getting used to. And eventually, you do get used to it. I'm not defending the movement as a "brilliant design decision that you simply don't UNDERSTAND yet," but at least the enemies and environments are usually tailored accordingly to Alucard's speed.

And similar to what @mosespippy said, you do get some movement upgrades and abilities that smooth things out a fair bit, most notably the ability to double jump later on in the game. Just keep at it, it's worth it!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Yeah, I understand what you mean. I didn't finish SoTN completely until about a year ago (played it for the first time in about 2008, but got lost and gave up due to its poor mapping system) and the movement and the jumping can feel a little stodgy. Just takes some getting used, and backwards-dashing everywhere helps, too!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Game's perfect.

It's light speed compared to old Castlevania, and you have total control during combat. Back dash, double jump, and those flash boots make it better.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I get the slow speed, but he does get faster as the game progress, plus--I know it sounds silly--but I backdash everywhere in that game.

Stick with it, I still believe it is one of the greatest games of all time, I play it to completion a few times a year.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Corevi

If you back dash everywhere you go much faster.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By TwoLines

@corevi said:

YES! I did that all the time! Good times.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Going back to old games and they feel different from games of nowadays? Unheard of!

I jest.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Corevi
@twolines said:

@corevi said:

If you go fast enough with the back dash you can fly through the room where Death takes all your OP cool shit and keep it.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't know slow and clunky until you've played the previous Castlevania games other than 4.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Back dashing helps. It is slow, but once you get accustomed to it, it all kind of clicks together.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By jaycrockett

Yeah, I played several portable Castlevanias before I played Symphony of the Night, and it did feel more sluggish. Honestly I think most of the GBA and DS games are better than SotN, but SotN is still good, and the granddaddy of that type of game.

sir_gunblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@twolines said:

@corevi said:

This. Always be dashing.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By Yummylee

@jaycrockett said:

Yeah, I played several portable Castlevanias before I played Symphony of the Night, and it did feel more sluggish. Honestly I think most of the GBA and DS games are better than SotN, but SotN is still good, and the granddaddy of that type of game.

I'd say Dawn of Sorrow is probably the best of the lot, though SoTN does have its superb score and art style going for it against the DS trilogy.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

You're slow and clunky !

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did like the GBA and DS ones quite a bit, but I felt like I had more control over Alucard than those games. Like why couldn't you point your sword diagonally downwards after SoTN? Why did they get rid of that weird kick you can do when you're barehanded?

Spells are great in SoTN and the classic method of collecting hearts and finding subweapons along the way really appeals to me as a simpler solution than the soul collecting stuff in the AoS/DoS games (that said... I did get EVERYTHING in dawn of sorrow...).

To answer the OP, just backdash everywhere. You'll get better at it quickly, don't mash that triangle button, there's a rhythm to it. I still haven't tried shield dashing but it should be even faster.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never really felt it was too slow. Especially not enough to frustrate me. True the GBA and DS games play a bit better, but they don't have that art and that music. Super Castelevania 4 and SotN are still easily the best games in that franchise.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

It is slow as motherfucking hell!

At the beginning.

Y'all forgot about Dre that?

Alucard's walk animation is smooth as hell but he's moving like a man dancing in molasses.

After you lose your powers in the first 10 minutes you get busted way, way down and movement is very slow until you get more powers. You can, however, dash backwards. Which is hilarious.

But stick to it mine friend, for soon you shall be like lightning amongst the storm!

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I played that game through for the first time last year. Alucard is super slow. Although to be fair, all the Castlevania games I've played felt really slow and a bit clunky to me.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I played the 360 version and don't remember feeling like it was slow, but this was right after playing Dawn of Sorrow so maybe I was used to Castlevania's funny-feeling movement.

Also, yeah, always be backdashin'.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Sotn is just not a very good game. The GBA ones are actually better but the bad ones in the series drag the good ones down.