182 Comments
  • 182 results
Posted by squidracerX

@Sabata said:

Yes! The return of British Brad!

It was nice of Brad to pop in on a sick day to tell us about late game Diablo!

What? Jeff? No that wasn't Jeff.......

Posted by TheHT

@punkxblaze said:

@Ghostiet said:

@Nayson said:

Ryan, you cant give Will Smith shit for not being able to pronounce "executable" when you cant pronounce "reagent". Its re-agent, as in a reactive agent.

(And yes, I appreciate this will probably be the most boring message ever posted on Giant Bomb.)

I always found that video hilarious exactly because it's Ryan giving him shit. The guy that can't pronounce "sword".

I don't like being the guy that misses the joke, but incase you guys are serious, Ryan can pronounce shit just fine, he just chooses to say things like "Suh-word" and "Zambie" for the hell of it.

Wait, so he pronounces things incorrectly, but since it's his choice, they're not wrong? What a magical arbitrary world.

Vinny's right, you can pause in Diablo 3. And I mean pause pause. I dunno if it's only when your game isn't open to the public or what, but I tested it out tonight in the middle of a big fight. Hit esc and you can see everything in the game freeze.

Posted by Hashbrowns

@Incapability said:

Those of you who are missing the humor in mispronounciations are too serious, and you need to get out more. The humor stems from the fact that we know damn well how to pronounce stuff - you're all stuck in this loop of rabid semantic-paranoia where you tense up like tiny coils, waiting to explode when someone mispronounces a word, in order to lecture them on their mistake to indicate your intellectual superiority.

In this case, said superiority is non-existent. Suh-word.

I don't usually comment on it, but hasn't it gotten kind of old over the last several years? He does it all the time. I'm not getting outraged or anything but it is kind of annoying after so long.

Posted by rafoXxX

@Hashbrowns said:

@Incapability said:

Those of you who are missing the humor in mispronounciations are too serious, and you need to get out more. The humor stems from the fact that we know damn well how to pronounce stuff - you're all stuck in this loop of rabid semantic-paranoia where you tense up like tiny coils, waiting to explode when someone mispronounces a word, in order to lecture them on their mistake to indicate your intellectual superiority.

I don't usually comment on it, but hasn't it gotten kind of old over the last several years? He does it all the time. I'm not getting outraged or anything but it is kind of annoying after so long.

Nah. If if bothers you, you're thinking about it too much. Simple as that.

Posted by n0nametaz

Oh my god that was so funny when you guys where talking about that wedding. Snorting Zyrtec and famous little people coming put of pigs. GAME OF THORNS ON HBO BRO CHECK IT OUT!!!!

Posted by LiquidPrince

Playstation Vita and Playstation Orbis. It's all Latin words for completeness and life and so on.

Posted by PandaBear

@rafoXxX said:

@Hashbrowns said:

@Incapability said:

Nah. If if bothers you, you're thinking about it too much. Simple as that.

Ryan is so good at picking up on tenses and definitions ... he's the best writer at Giant Bomb from a technical standpoint. Period. I work at a newspaper and I'd love to work with an editor like him.

Posted by xbob42

@Hashbrowns said:

@Incapability said:

It's just something he does, probably unconsciously at this point.

Posted by malnourish

@smitty86 said:

I'd just like to say that I respect the shit out of Jeff (even more) for knowing and liking Cheap Seats. That show was hi-larious. Where is my dvd of it ESPN, you bastards?

Yes! What part of the 'cast does he refer to the show of the great Sklar brothers?

Posted by CharAznable

@malnourish said:

@smitty86 said:

I'd just like to say that I respect the shit out of Jeff (even more) for knowing and liking Cheap Seats. That show was hi-larious. Where is my dvd of it ESPN, you bastards?

Yes! What part of the 'cast does he refer to the show of the great Sklar brothers?

HENDERSON!

Posted by smitty86

@malnourish: At 2:16:20 when they are talking about Roller-derby and Jeff is running through the rules that he knows, he mentions the Roller-derby episode of Cheap Seats, which was a damn good episode. Up there with the dog competition one.

Posted by Anwar

@JazGalaxy said:

@Totori said:

@Humanity said:

What is all this interesting stuff in the Bethesda games people are finding? When you climb a mountain, theres nothing there! The open world that Bethesda builds is just as dry and stilted like any other game. Those random caves had no stories behind them. I just never understand the argument.

I know there's nothing on mountains in skyrim either. In fallout 3 they made a huge deal about being able to go to the top of the Washington monument, but there is nothing there when you get there.

Guess what? There's nothing on the top of mount everest either.

Some people don't need labored and explict narrative to concoct significance or meaning from an event. Just the fact that I can see whiterun from the top of a mountain communicates more story to me than 5 hours of metal gear solid gibberish ever could.

Comparing climbing Mount Everest to climbing a mountain in Skyrim? Wow.

Posted by Telemekos

@malnourish: That reference made the podcast for me. Huge Cheap Seats fan.

Posted by AngelN7

@Anwar said:

@JazGalaxy said:

@Totori said:

@Humanity said:

What is all this interesting stuff in the Bethesda games people are finding? When you climb a mountain, theres nothing there! The open world that Bethesda builds is just as dry and stilted like any other game. Those random caves had no stories behind them. I just never understand the argument.

I know there's nothing on mountains in skyrim either. In fallout 3 they made a huge deal about being able to go to the top of the Washington monument, but there is nothing there when you get there.

Some people don't need labored and explict narrative to concoct significance or meaning from an event. Just the fact that I can see whiterun from the top of a mountain communicates more story to me than 5 hours of metal gear solid gibberish ever could.

I think he's point was that there's nothing "interesting" at the top of mountain x, you don't need any particular reason or narrative to tell you what's interesting about climbing a mountain in Skyrim just the fact that you can climb there rather than see a skybox is worth it.

Edited by Humanity

@AngelN7 said:

@Anwar said:

@JazGalaxy said:

@Totori said:

@Humanity said:

I think he's point was that there's nothing "interesting" at the top of mountain x, you don't need any particular reason or narrative to tell you what's interesting about climbing a mountain in Skyrim just the fact that you can climb there rather than see a skybox is worth it.

Everyone is missing the context of what I wrote - in this specific Bombcast they mention how in all press events for Dragons Dogma they would boast about how "see that mountain over there you can climb it!" and Jeff and others would ask "well what can you do when you get there" and that was their criticism leveled against the game saying they didn't really know how to craft an interesting open world - UNLIKE Skyrim, which they specifically name which they claim managed to be super exciting in the open world environment.

So I was asking, whar makes climbing a mountain in Skyrim so much more exciting than climbing a mountain in Dragons Dogma? Because as evidenced by what everyone has said, theres nothing on top of either one.

Posted by Boopie

Why did they say that Rockstar stopped going to E3 after the Hot Coffee thing when as best I can tell they had stopped going before E3 2004??

Posted by TentPole
Posted by Turambar
@Humanity said:

@AngelN7 said:

@Anwar said:

@JazGalaxy said:

@Totori said:

@Humanity said:

Everyone is missing the context of what I wrote - in this specific Bombcast they mention how in all press events for Dragons Dogma they would boast about how "see that mountain over there you can climb it!" and Jeff and others would ask "well what can you do when you get there" and that was their criticism leveled against the game saying they didn't really know how to craft an interesting open world - UNLIKE Skyrim, which they specifically name which they claim managed to be super exciting in the open world environment.

So I was asking, whar makes climbing a mountain in Skyrim so much more exciting than climbing a mountain in Dragons Dogma? Because as evidenced by what everyone has said, theres nothing on top of either one.

The idea is Skyrim sprinkles enough stuff into its world that you want to check the tops of mountains to make sure there really isn't anything there.  Dragon's Dogma is much more upfront with its emptiness, lessening the compulsion for exploration.
Edited by Encephalon

@Turambar: Yeah, there is just enough random shit in Bethesda's worlds to make it feel like there could be more of it anywhere. The textbook example is something like the pair of skeletons embracing each other on a fire-blackened bed in Fallout 3, or the journal in a ruin in Skyrim that chronicles a treasure hunter's slow descent into madness. Then there's the more gameplay-oriented surprises, like stumbling upon a Daedric quest or a Word Wall or a fucking dragon priest.

Bethesda has, frankly, never excelled in their larger scale narratives, but they're actually quite good at peppering their game worlds with smaller ones. Haven't played a lick of Dragon's Dogma, and don't ever plan to, really, but the sense I'm getting is that it excels in stories neither big nor small.

Skyrim's world is certainly not hand-crafted in every single square foot, and there are times when the game clearly suffers for it, but the people claiming the world is empty and boring in order to prop up Dragon's Dogma are practicing some serious revisionist history.

Posted by Totori
@Turambar: There are treasure chests all over the place in DD.
Posted by Turambar
@Totori said:
@Turambar: There are treasure chests all over the place in DD.
That's not quite what I mean.  I'm speaking to specifically narrative elements.  There were chests all over the place in Kingdoms of Amalur as well but I definitely grew bored of that world as a whole.  That said, maybe Dragon's Dogma's problems are being overstated by people.  I haven't played it (plan when I have time later on), but the criticisms laid against it are pretty familiar to me.
Posted by MordeaniisChaos

@Humanity: looking out at a beautiful world and spotting something worth exploring and then just going there is hugely rewarding

Posted by malnourish

@smitty86 said:

@malnourish: At 2:16:20 when they are talking about Roller-derby and Jeff is running through the rules that he knows, he mentions the Roller-derby episode of Cheap Seats, which was a damn good episode. Up there with the dog competition one.

Thank you for the specifics!

Posted by mrangryface

want new cast...where is it :(

Posted by CharAznable

Dee Booher RIP (probably?)

haha I forgot that Jeff mentioned WMAC Masters right after that Cheap Seats mention. So great, so corny.

Posted by malnourish

Stupid holidays messing up my bombcast!

Posted by brophdog

I gotta go to bed Ryan. Give it up.

Posted by Jimbot

When it comes to Dragon's Dogma and Skyrim, I thought they both had equally mediocre characters. I see no opposites there. However, I liked the Skyrim world a lot more. It was far better looking and varied than Dragon Dogma's for sure. Both had minimalist stories but both had interesting aspects to them. It's a close shave for me to choose one over the other but I'd go with Dragon's Dogma, mainly because the combat is a whole lot more fun. There's room for both and both can be improved.

Posted by evanbower

@Cyrisaurus said:

I hope they we're joking about "Remember Sony IPs". Sony has the most new IPs this gen.

I think they clarify by saying, "when Sony IP's were out there and memorable."

Posted by evanbower

@ThornBlackstar said:

would have loved if someone would have asked Patrick to name a single character from Skyrim for the Dragons Dogma talk

I guess, but Besthesda games generally have a huge cast of characters that make for a memorable world rather than specific stand-out characters. Sounds like Dragon's Dogma doesn't.. by calling some characters pawns they're giving you the heads up not to care about them.

Posted by DoctorWelch

Is Jeff mental? Ranged characters are almost always more fun because of the variety of spells and stuff that they inevitably have, while close up characters usually have moves like hit dude, hit dude harder/faster/more damage, or draw aggro.

Posted by Underachiever007

@Chewii101 said:

Jeff's imitation of Brad is hilarious everytime

Question: when did Jeff first do that impression? I don't remember hearing it before.