Log in or sign up to comment
106 Comments
  • 106 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Posted by mrpandaman

@PandaBear said:

@GalacticPunt said:

It's scary to hear how bad things are going for PSN and XBLA games. I know the bottom fell out for WiiWare, but I didn't expect a total digital crash in 2012.

I guess there's no middle-ground left. There's an audience who will buy big $60 boxed games, and an audience who will download $.99 and free apps. The $10 impulse buy is over? Legions of fans bought Trials and Minecraft Arcade this year, but unless you're a known quantity you're boned.

2000 MSP for Minecraft on XBLA and it sold over 1million copies ... about a week before that Trials Evolution broke all previous records on XBLA and was 1200 MSP. There's too much hyperbole going on in this podcast... (it was awesome though and if it were up to me Paul would be a regular on the Bombcast).

800MSP should be the middle ground, but 1200MSP became the new default. When I see games at 800MSP I'm far more inclined to buy. Plus MSP are more expensive just about everywhere outside the US so that kills it too. The App Store is (slightly) more uniform at least... XBLA and PSN aren't dying, but they are taking a hit as games come out on multiple devices at more competitive prices. Sony and Microsoft need to react faster... don't get me started on Nintendo.

I'm going to say that a couple of successes does not constitute overall success for the services. A vast majority of the games on both stores go completely unnoticed.

On a side note... If anyone reads this, does Paul sound like a British Dave Snider?

Posted by DukesT3

super sneaky..

Posted by KingHippp0

Galaxies?

Posted by Binman88

@NuDimon said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Jeez the GB still have not figured out how to use the D3 auction house?

It's not rocket science, you can figure out an items worth by yourself in a seconds if you do proper searches, both for buying something for yourself or selling your own gear. Set the proper item limiting parameters and do a buyout sort, done.

Christ.

Ryan put down one bid and now his shitting on it because it's not robust enough? It's like listening to someone complain that the chainsaw is an unwieldy tool for cutting down a tree when they didn't even bother turning it on.

And thus the grand time honoured tradition of complaining about game features on the bombcast due to their own ignorance continues.

To be fair the UI for the AH is HORRIBLE. But yeah it shouldnt be this hard to figure out. XD

It's actually pretty straightforward. The only thing that's missing for me is an improved comparison guide. An "order by ending soonest" option would be nice too, but I have a feeling that was intentionally omitted.

Posted by PandaBear

@GalacticPunt said:

It's scary to hear how bad things are going for PSN and XBLA games. I know the bottom fell out for WiiWare, but I didn't expect a total digital crash in 2012.

I guess there's no middle-ground left. There's an audience who will buy big $60 boxed games, and an audience who will download $.99 and free apps. The $10 impulse buy is over? Legions of fans bought Trials and Minecraft Arcade this year, but unless you're a known quantity you're boned.

2000 MSP for Minecraft on XBLA and it sold over 1million copies ... about a week before that Trials Evolution broke all previous records on XBLA and was 1200 MSP. There's too much hyperbole going on in this podcast... (it was awesome though and if it were up to me Paul would be a regular on the Bombcast).

800MSP should be the middle ground, but 1200MSP became the new default. When I see games at 800MSP I'm far more inclined to buy. Plus MSP are more expensive just about everywhere outside the US so that kills it too. The App Store is (slightly) more uniform at least... XBLA and PSN aren't dying, but they are taking a hit as games come out on multiple devices at more competitive prices. Sony and Microsoft need to react faster... don't get me started on Nintendo.

Posted by GalacticPunt

It's scary to hear how bad things are going for PSN and XBLA games. I know the bottom fell out for WiiWare, but I didn't expect a total digital crash in 2012.

I guess there's no middle-ground left. There's an audience who will buy big $60 boxed games, and an audience who will download $.99 and free apps. The $10 impulse buy is over? Legions of fans bought Trials and Minecraft Arcade this year, but unless you're a known quantity you're boned.

Posted by fox01313

Awesome bombcast with Paul & always love hearing him on the site in one way or another. Still think that Jeff's problem with the XBLA menus is just trying to get the game early as I'm sure that all the years of getting stuff before it comes out can mess with someone's sense of time a little. GB crew, bring Paul back for more bombcast stuff as he's hilarious.

Posted by Generiko

Does Jeff not know there is a search function on the xbox?

Posted by NuDimon

@Tennmuerti said:

Jeez the GB still have not figured out how to use the D3 auction house?

It's not rocket science, you can figure out an items worth by yourself in a seconds if you do proper searches, both for buying something for yourself or selling your own gear. Set the proper item limiting parameters and do a buyout sort, done.

Christ.

Ryan put down one bid and now his shitting on it because it's not robust enough? It's like listening to someone complain that the chainsaw is an unwieldy tool for cutting down a tree when they didn't even bother turning it on.

And thus the grand time honoured tradition of complaining about game features on the bombcast due to their own ignorance continues.

To be fair the UI for the AH is HORRIBLE. But yeah it shouldnt be this hard to figure out. XD

Edited by bybeach

Thanks for covering how screwed up finding anything on XBLA has gotten. I myself would love to go back to an earlier site config. I've learned to access through the computer for the little bit I have been doing. I can find games on XBLA easier that way to buy and dl. But I have also learned to wait for pc release at steam or wherever else.

This Barnett guy is pretty interesting!

Posted by Winternet

Yes, I put Vignocchi vs. Varanini. And that's not totally racist. Just a bit.

Paul Barnett is so awesome. He'll be missed during E3 shenanigans.

Posted by Vortextk

HOW DOES HE NOT GET FIRED? Just listening to him talk about EA makes me think every other day he's avoiding getting fired just by knowing who to avoid. Great stuff.

Posted by Tennmuerti

Jeez the GB still have not figured out how to use the D3 auction house?

It's not rocket science, you can figure out an items worth by yourself in a seconds if you do proper searches, both for buying something for yourself or selling your own gear. Set the proper item limiting parameters and do a buyout sort, done.

Christ.

Ryan put down one bid and now his shitting on it because it's not robust enough? It's like listening to someone complain that the chainsaw is an unwieldy tool for cutting down a tree when they didn't even bother turning it on.

And thus the grand time honoured tradition of complaining about game features on the bombcast due to their own ignorance continues.

Posted by Nephrahim

@Three0neFive said:

@SamDrugbringer said:

So, where's a scan of the gamer categories Jeff reads?

It sounded like an internal thing form EA's marketing department, thus not something they'd release to the public.

I know, but come on, someone leak it! It sounds AMAZING.

Posted by Three0neFive

@SamDrugbringer said:

So, where's a scan of the gamer categories Jeff reads?

It sounded like an internal thing form EA's marketing department, thus not something they'd release to the public.

Posted by kookoo

wow. this guy sure dominates a podcast.

Posted by Nephrahim

So, where's a scan of the gamer categories Jeff reads?

Posted by jakkblades

"Animators like hanging out in the Smithsonian, and I do, because I'm confused."

Posted by ch3burashka

Downloaded it not knowing who'd be on. When Ryan mentioned one of 'our favorite people', I said, "FUCK YEA PAUL BARNETT". Honestly, one of the best guests on GB every time he's on.

Posted by antivanti

Who else made the sign on impulse at the end when Paul mentioned it?

Posted by joshthebear
Edited by Rapid

@MasterRain said:

English Dave is the best.

How do we not know if it could actually be that Dave is actually English all this time? #E3 Mysteries

Anyways,

I going to miss seeing Paul Burnett live at E3, still awesome that he was able to do this podcast

Posted by NTM

Is it just me (there's that question again), and does anyone else notice that Brad's cartoon-ish picture above looks somewhat like Karl Pilkington's cartoon look?

Edited by Max_Cherry

In the 1995 Barry Sonnenfeld classic "Get Shorty", John Travota and Rene Russo discuss what the name of their exploits would be if it were a movie. John Travolta suggests "Get Shorty" would be appropriate because their ultimate goal was to get the 4'10" actor played by Danny Devito to star in the motion picture they are producing. So, That's what "Get Shorty" means Jeff.

Posted by MasterRain

English Dave is the best.

Posted by Little_Socrates

That powerpoint presentation sequence was fantastic.

Posted by Humanity

This was awesome, really enjoyed it! Dare I say? Almost better than this weeks entire Bombcast really

Posted by G0rd0nFr33m4n

awwww that's so mean ! DONT MESS WITH A MANS MOUSE !

Posted by Totori
@alternate said:

Might as well cancel E3 now. Two years in a row PB has skipped. Must be quite some game he is working on.

No, he said he's working on facebook type stuff and you don't show facebook games at E3.
Posted by l3reak

BARNETTTTTTTTT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by AlisterCat

That is a great LoL story. Amazing.

Posted by AlisterCat

@JamesJeux007 said:

Am I the only one thinking Paul sounds like an Irish version of Dave ? Anyway, like previous guests on the Bombcast, I did not know him but now I want more podcasts with him :'D

1. You are never the only one

2. He's not Irish...

3. He's amazing.

Posted by JamesJeux007

Am I the only one thinking Paul sounds like an Irish version of Dave ?
Anyway, like previous guests on the Bombcast, I did not know him but now I want more podcasts with him :'D

Posted by Fattony12000

Guild Wars 2 is coming out.

Posted by dropabombonit

Bonus podcast

Posted by alternate

Might as well cancel E3 now. Two years in a row PB has skipped. Must be quite some game he is working on.

Posted by FoxMulder

This could have just been the story about the broken mouse prank and I'd be just as happy!

Posted by Kourai

Aw Yeah. Time for some Barnett!

Edited by L44

YOU WILL ALWAYS BE MY GOLDEN DUDER

Posted by garnsr

E3 gives us the best Bombcasts, they get to break free of just talking about current and upcoming games and talk to other industry insiders about the industry as a whole. And Paul has always been one of the most interesting guests, too bad he doesn't get to mix with the others this year.

Posted by UncleBenny

Paul Barnett is a god damn angel.

Posted by Encephalon

E3 just won't be the same without Paul, but at least we're getting our yearly allotment now.

Posted by Spitznock

I think I recall seeing a midcore porno once...

Posted by RetroVirus

<>

Posted by redbliss

i was hoping for a pre-e3 podcast

Posted by big_jon

New Podcast, now I'm horny.

Posted by Slaker117

Always great to have Paul on. He has the best stories.

Posted by adamfedoruk

<>

Posted by AlexanderSheen

Sorry Ken.

Posted by Gyoru

This was a good secret Bombcast.

  • 106 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3