212 Comments
Posted by popmasterruler

I'd love to see Vinny as a DM

Posted by n0nametaz

@Fearbeard: No dude, you can activate bullet time without dodging in the first Max Payne too.

Posted by n0nametaz

You guys need to go back and play Max Payne 1 because I think Max has always been fragile (I should say that I still haven't played 3 or finished 2). Also, the best way to dodge depends on what kind of gun an enemy is shooting at you with. If its a fully-automatic gun its better to dodge left or right and If its a semi-automatic gun you should dodge foreword or backwards. The reason for that is because if you dodge foreword your a smaller target to hit and if they have a semi-automatic they have even less of a chance at hitting you, as apposed to them having a fully-automatic, then they can shoot straight at you and odds are a few bullets are going to hit you. Now what you want to do if they have a fully-auto gun is, as I said, dodge left and right. If you notice in bullet time when an enemy is shooting at you with a fully-auto, the bullets are way less accurate, but especially when their trying to turn left or right while shooting. They WILL NOT get a shoot on you anywhere near above your waist unless they shoot where your going to be as apposed to where you where. Seriously though, Max has always been extremely fragile even on the normal difficulties you would get shot 3 time with a pistol and the red would be up to your head on the health indicator.

Posted by firecracker22

I just finished Max Payne 3. I wrapped it up over an extended weekend, and played it on Hard. Gotta say, I played Max 3 pretty much the same as I played Max 2. Aside from there being a cover based mechanic, which obviously wasn't in the second, the gameplay was pretty much the same from what I remember. I can say for sure that I spent most of Max Payne 3 diving through the air shooting dudes with dual pistols. Being able to have shootdodge automatically kick in no matter how empty the meter was, for me, a smart move. There are sections where you do need to stay in cover, but something I found myself doing was dropping guys like that, then leaping forward over the cover and jumping into shootdodge and dropping the final three or two guys left.

There are times where I got punished for mostly jumping like a madman into the air and shooting dudes, but the reloads are so quick that I could keep trying until I nailed those key headshots.

Alot of Max Payne seems to be intact with 3, in my opinion. The only HUGE change I can think of is the lack of self-awareness, and self-referential stuff that is really a Remedy thing (Alan Wake is filled with that stuff). The sort of meta, fourth wall breaking is straight up gone. But, that stuff was never my favorite aspect of Max Payne 2 so it was easy for me to let go of it.

I thought it was also interesting how they didn't really touch on Mona's fate, either. He hinted at how the relationship was a stupid mistake, but that was about it. I always wondered if Mona lived, because of the alternate ending they had in Max Payne 2 where on the hardest difficulty she lived.

Posted by Dannik

@damnable_fiend said:

also, holy fuck, I would watch the shit out of giantbomb tabletop gaming videos!

Holy shit yes!!! They REALLY should do a test run of like 5-6 games. I would LOVE to see them play some D&D!

Posted by namesonkel

I know and follow the lore of Diablo. It's decent and the characters are interesting. What really gets me though is the amazing settings of at least the first two games. Love the third game as well though.

Edited by Jackel2072
@SmasheControllers: yeah i actually started watching Storage Wars thanks to this damn web site
Posted by SmasheControllers

@Jackel2072: I recent memory my favorite bombcast moment is probably the penny into bad tv discussion.

Posted by pyromagnestir

I've been listening to this weeks podcast really slowly and only just now thought "Hey, where's Jeff?"

Posted by Jackel2072
@SmasheControllers: The best parts of the bombcast is when they get sidetracked and talk about the 2 live crew for half an hour 
Posted by IAmNotBatman

@SmasheControllers: Bad, definitely bad.

Posted by shaddowkhan

Time stamps anyone?

Posted by SmasheControllers

Whenever someone's missing, they always seem to stay focused and actual talk about games. I don't know if this is good or bad.

Posted by Zripwud

Loved it when Vinny said: "This is you... you sick fuck."

Edited by falling_fast

around 50 minutes shit gets weird :]

also, holy fuck, I would watch the shit out of giantbomb tabletop gaming videos!

edit: oh my fucking god, "SHOW-PIN"? really, patrick? you better be trolling :/

Edited by falling_fast

Ryan's Fez story is hilarious. love you, giantbomb

max payne 1 is pretty fucking hard by today's standards. max payne 2 is pretty easy, and also you have more options. and also the story is better and the graphics are better. and also, as they mention in the podcast, hilarious physics. I think I like max payne 2 better.

Edited by Hef

@AssInAss said:

@Fearbeard said:

@AssInAss said:

CORRECTION : In Max Payne 1, you can turn on bullet time by itself, no need to shoot-dodge to activate it. I just played it again today.

Also "bullet cam" where you shoot the last guy in the cutscene continuously is also in Max Payne 1.

The only new mechanic in Max Payne 3 is the "last stand" mechanic.

I just booted up Max Payne and noticed both of these things, which they seemed to take umbrage with as newer mechanics (though they thought the bullet-time without a dodge debuted in Max Payne 2)

I used to be impressed with what they could remember about old games, but now I'm getting the feeling they are probably misremembering quite a bit.

Maybe they would remember if the game's really old like NES or Genesis games :P That's how memory works I think, you remember the very recent and very old stuff.

To be fair the bulletdodge mechanic was very prominent in MP1 and your time ran out way too quickly when you just activated it. Max Payne 2 introduced a much more lenient bullet time. It lasted longer and Max moved faster the more you used it. Also killing enemies replenished your meter in MP2 as well.

I almost never just activated slow-mo in MP1 while I almost never bothered shoot dodging in MP2.

Posted by aksanakmal

I lost my headphones! oh man, why I am so cheap :(

Posted by AssInAss

@Fearbeard said:

@AssInAss said:

CORRECTION : In Max Payne 1, you can turn on bullet time by itself, no need to shoot-dodge to activate it. I just played it again today.

Also "bullet cam" where you shoot the last guy in the cutscene continuously is also in Max Payne 1.

I just booted up Max Payne and noticed both of these things, which they seemed to take umbrage with as newer mechanics (though they thought the bullet-time without a dodge debuted in Max Payne 2)

I used to be impressed with what they could remember about old games, but now I'm getting the feeling they are probably misremembering quite a bit.

Maybe they would remember if the game's really old like NES or Genesis games :P That's how memory works I think, you remember the very recent and very old stuff.

Posted by Fearbeard

@AssInAss said:

Posted by Tebbit

@blacklab said:

I bought HL2 on Steam day 1...Steam was fucked at the beginning. The difference is that Steam was new back then, Blizzard has been doing this stuff for ages.

This. Diablo 3 has (I think) been the first Blizzard game I've been actively frustrated with. When playing my single-player game, I don't want to suddenly find myself running on the spot, disconnected from the server and 15 minutes back in my progress. It's a pain in the ass.

Posted by Potter9156

@Incapability:

Attributes like luck, speed, and personality greatly affected how the game is played, and the base attributes like strength and health were much more in-depth than "gives you more health" "increases stamina". Classes were useful in that they gave you an initial boost to skills your class is specialized in, so starting off as a thief for instance was more viable in DF, MW, OB early on because your most important skills like sneak were higher than say blunt weapons. It removed a lot of the grind, and just made sense. Playing as anything other than a guy with a shield and sword required hours and hours of grinding early on for it to be a viable play style.

The complete neutrality of your character in Skyrim made no sense, was your character just born seconds before the game started?

In conjunction, these attributes/classes/skills allowed for true freedom in play styles that Skyrim did not have. I wouldn't even call Skyrim an Elder Scrolls game.

Posted by Incapability

@Potter9156: I think their argumentation was solid enough. The attributes did not influence anything directly, it was just a roundabout way of saying "So do you want more health, mana or stamina?" - I mean, there weren't very deeply set aspects of the previous games where it specifically checked, oh, do you have this much wisdom, or this degree of agility?

It didn't add any value, it just made things complicated to a point where most people didn't know what to do with it. Removing it in favor of just saying "What do you want to upgrade?" is an honest solution.

The classes were similarly artificial. If you were a "bard" class, you most likely spent the game picking locks, shooting fireballs and hitting stuff with swords, unlike if you were an "acrobat" in which case you would... pick looks, shoot fireballs and hit stuff with swords.

I agree that attributes and classes are central to the RPG genre, but removing them from Skyrim was an honest admission that they were insignificant to the game. I don't think that warrants the term "dumbing down" - it wasn't smart in the first place. What they could have done was make the attributes have significance, like in Fallout where you do Intelligence checks for instance, or make the classes have significance, such as a thief character relying on a thief storyline, but that would not be within the scope of the game.

Edited by aihuman

@Brad if you have hand problems then why don't you get vertical mouse for pc and an Xtended play for both your 360 and PS3 controller.

Posted by Getz

Things get really nerdy around the 1:50:00 mark

Posted by Potter9156

Skyrim removed attributes and classes. They were pretty important in the previous TES games, and RPGs in general. I think that classifies as dumbing down. I would say streamlining is making those systems easier for the user to understand, rather than treating them like children and stripping away key mechanics that defines the genre/series.

Posted by blacklab

I bought HL2 on Steam day 1...Steam was fucked at the beginning. The difference is that Steam was new back then, Blizzard has been doing this stuff for ages.

Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials

Also, I enjoy that Brad seemingly believed for a second that Max Payne 3 was 800 GB on PC.

The dream sequences in the first two games were good except for the blood trail parts in MP1, which were a hate crime.

EDIT One more thing: I started drinking coffee when I was about 8. No big deal.

Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials

Steam has offline mode and doesn't kick you out of the game if you go offline while playing.

I'm sure this has been mentioned but I'm mentioning it again. The comparison between Steam and Battlenet just doesn't make a ton of sense.

Also this comment was in no way influenced by the fact that Diablo III crashed on me while they were talking about Battlenet.

Posted by OllyOxenFree

To humor myself I just imagined Jeff was there but did not said a word. Just sitting there with his arms crossed.

Posted by KillyDarko
@gladspooky said:

the dream sequences were the best part of Max Payne...

They certainly were my favourite bits.
Posted by RIDEBIRD

There's quite a massive difference in quality from motherboard sound and a discrete card. Try a Xonar DG or DX (both fairly cheap) with decent headphones and compare.

Posted by prestonhedges

the dream sequences were the best part of Max Payne...

Posted by TheHBK

@NocturnusFatalis said:

Where is Jeff?

He left. The rumors were wrong, it wasn't Brad.

Posted by NocturnusFatalis

Where is Jeff?

Posted by LegendaryChopChop

PLEASE do a TNT where you guys play a tabletop RPG or board game.

Posted by mnzy

@immortalmishima69 said:

@WVUEers said:

At first I thought Ryan's pronunciation of Diablo was just him joking and then after like the 5th time it dawned on me that this is how he really says it... how do you live in California and not be able to pronounce diablo? Every fucking city around you is a spanish name.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. Once I thought it was a joke...then it got to be overboard

Still a joke.

Edited by SpunkyHePanda

Man, these guys can sit there and talk about types of drives and cables for several minutes at a time, and I will listen to it. The joke is on me, sirs.

Posted by shotgunsullivan

now I want a DnD endurance run, full cast.

Posted by Lucien21

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/twins-triplets-arnold-schwarzenegger-danny-devito-eddie-murphy-306026

Triplets with Eddie Murphy is the Twins sequel. LOL.

Edited by MeatSim

Now I have to go play Hitman: Blood Money again. Then go buy and play Rogue Galaxy.

Edited by chose

Damn I feel for those with hand problems due to computer use, I've been using one consistently for the last 15 years easily 8 hours per day on average and don't have those problems. I gotta say now that I'm on a couch my hands and arms rest at a natural height, when I lan play and I'm back to a desk my wrist doesn't like the contortion and does hurt after a while, same with my fingers getting numb. That's my solution, be a lazy ass, use your computer on a couch!!!

Posted by GuardianKnux

@immortalmishima69: When I first moved to California 10 years ago it drove me freaking crazy. I lived near Mt. Diablo and I shit you not, everyone pronounces it like Ryan does. I'm not exaggerating either, EVERYONE pronounces it that way. They even recognize that they're saying it wrong, but still refuse to correct themselves. It really pisses me off to this day.

Posted by EriMus

Endurance Run: Rogue Galaxy - Part 01, coming soon from your favorite gaming website Giant Bomb.

Posted by immortalmishima69

@WVUEers said:

At first I thought Ryan's pronunciation of Diablo was just him joking and then after like the 5th time it dawned on me that this is how he really says it... how do you live in California and not be able to pronounce diablo? Every fucking city around you is a spanish name.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. Once I thought it was a joke...then it got to be overboard

Edited by immortalmishima69

@NakAttack: All I was trying to say, we could have used some more varied opinions on the Max Payne talk. Personally I've been listening for years, and I'm a huge fan. Lately the fact-checking has fallen by the way side a little, and I'd like to hear more accurate testimony. I meant no disrespect.

Posted by mrpandaman

@Xeirus said:

@WVUEers said:

Actually Ryan always says stuff like that on purpose. He purposely pronounces words the wrong way, it's a weird thing he likes to do. He knows it's the "wrong way" but he just like to be different. You get used to it.

This reminds me of Jamie and Adam's Tested.com's Will Smith's pronunciation of executable as "Exzécutable."

Posted by Max_Cherry

Is Jeff at that E3 Judges event again? It always seems that their one man out lately.

Posted by NakAttack

@Lobster_Ear said:

@immortalmishima69 said:

A few things: Where is Jeff? Usually we are made aware when someone is missing and why. Secondly, Ryan, this is not a movie podcast, and if it was, you still fail. Kate Beckinsale IS in the second movie. She was missing in the third one. Also, Ryan why are you defending repetition in a game. You can have an unpopular opinion on a game, but defending the repetition and nothing else doesn't really prove your case.

I hate everything about you and what you stand for.

Agreed, Please leave. Your stalker like tendencies are not needed here.

Posted by Baal_Sagoth

Great podcast! I usually love 'em to begin with but this was a complete winner from start to finish. Every single topic was interesting and stuff I really wanted even more background to, especially D3 and MP3. Blood Money and general Hitman talk was great, glad Patrick got around to it and even enjoyed himself. Absolution practically can't come quick enough.

Also this was the second time in short order that the Suburbs Hitman level came up on GB which is unecpected and excellent. There's so much crazy interaction in that level alone. My personal favorite here, other than dumping a body or unconscious person into the garbage truck and hearing that nasty fucking sound of it getting crushed, is putting the knockout poison on the teenage daughters panties in her room to take out the creepy guard that keeps sniffing it while on security detail!

All this Bombcast goodness and Jeff wasn't even on surprisingly.