212 Comments
Posted by Forcen

I just realized when the podcast ended that Jeff was not there.

Edited by Javes

@Sword5 said:

"Most polished game ever" for a game that doesn't launch. Standards are so fucking low these days. They do WoW and run Starcraft. Launching broken is embarrassing for a company of this size.

Exactly. It this game didn't have the Diablo name it would be crucified for its horrible DRM and bugs that prevent you from even playing the game.

EDIT: They sure do love the word 'ostensibly'. I think a thesaurus mailbag is in order.

Edited by PillClinton

@Degringolade said:

"I'm a video game squirrel."

I laughed at that way more than I probably should have.

@Flipyap said:

"Obstensively."

Also, this.

Posted by Matterless

@PillClinton: I expected there would be more Brad-as-Conker art by now.

Posted by Phoenix87

SKY-FI

Patent that shit immediately.

Posted by Potter9156

I thought the MMA style fighting in Haywire was terrible. It's not how I imagine a spy person would fight.

But it was hilarious watching her use all these MMA moves and stuff on these actors while they looked horrified.

Posted by JRock3x8

re : ryan davis defending diablo on the basis that they are 15 hours into launch

disagree entirely - would you expect moviegoers to tolerate torn reels or malfunctioning projectors or buying their tickets only to find the theatre where their movie is playing to be locked? No way. Video games get a pass on technical issues way too much - if people are going to plunk down that much money, they deserve a better experience.

Posted by smokyexe

My friend finished D3 on normal in 8 hours. He didn't rush anything.

Posted by cyraxible

@JRock3x8: Apples and oranges. They're both fruit but they're not the same.

Posted by JRock3x8

@cyraxible: both apples and oranges cost money ;)

Posted by simkas

@JRock3x8: That's a horrible comparision. Does how well a movie projector depend on how many people are watching what it's projecting? Not at all. Does how well a game's server work depend on how many people are on it? 100% yes.

Posted by JRock3x8

@simkas: its a comparison that jeff has made in the past and I feel very good about making now.

Posted by murisan

Diablo 3 is incredibly polished, and ... *goes to check if the game is working today* ... yep, looks as if the server issues are ironed out. Anyone want to join me in my quest? Level 12 Wizard here.

Posted by alienjones

Patrick stating the 'worst part' of John Woo is doves and guns?

What else is there to Woo movies?

Posted by Mesoian

Man, you guys got me all excited. Hanna isn't on netflix instant stream...::Huff::

Edited by CosmicBatman

Well you know there must be a ton of people playing D3 when a company with as much experience as Blizzard is having trouble keeping up.

Posted by Chop

Heh, I really want Patrick to go and try Hitman 2 or Codename 47. I'm the biggest Hitman fan you'll find on this site and love those games to death but even I can't play either of those two today.

Posted by EternalGamer2

I'm not sure what is going on with Jeff not being there. I hope his dad is ok.

The podcast had a weird "going through the motions vibe." Vinny kind of hinted directly at this several times with "well we talked about videogames" and "we got another hour right?" If it is related to Jeff not being there, I can understand feeling weird about talking about something as seemingly insignificant as videogames in a time like that.

Posted by cyraxible

@Chop: You're the biggest fan only since Hitman47 got banned.

Posted by Max_Cherry

Don't miss this made for TV experience Starring John Travolta and Diana Hyland. Excuse the poor quality, the movie is a few years old now.

Posted by Javes

@EternalGamer2 said:

I'm not sure what is going on with Jeff not being there. I hope his dad is ok.

The podcast had a weird "going through the motions vibe." Vinny kind of hinted directly at this several times with "well we talked about videogames" and "we got another hour right?" If it is related to Jeff not being there, I can understand feeling weird about talking about something as seemingly insignificant as videogames in a time like that.

I heard he's at E3 judges week.

Posted by dvand987

Today's word is, "ostensibly"!

Edited by Sammo21

Blade did bullettime before the Matrix did...

Also...not really sure why Diablo 3 is completely hot shit and then they pretty much go debbie downer on Torchlight and torchlight 2? mmmmmk. Glad to have a new bombcast but this was definitely the most boring bombcast we've had in a very, very, very, very long time.

Posted by Zamir
Posted by Grondoth

Wait, Diablo saves taking up a whole memory card? That can't be right. It was a chunk, but it sure wasn't a whole card. My friend and I played that through up to hell, there's no way it took up an entire card.

Posted by Rmack

For those of you just now noticing Patrick's "ostensibly" problem, now you can play along with my drinking game! Every time he says it, take a shot, every time he says it incorrectly, take two. Take a drink every time he says "scenario" (sin-aaah-rio).

Posted by phrosnite

This week's bombcast was painful to listen to.

Posted by kollay

Servers have been smooth sailing today. It was just one day out of possibly years of gameplay? C'mon.

Anyways, son of a bitch this game is great.

Posted by KoolAid

Sorry Brad. I love the story and the lore of Diablo. While what you said about the grind is good for a lot of people, different people get different things from a game like Diablo 3. I don't want to rush through the story, I want to take my time and enjoy it. What's cool about games like Diablo is that they have something for a lot of different players!

It's kinda strange how shocked the guys were that Drew played through Diablo 2 recently. That game is still lot of fun and has shit loads of content. I mean, I almost don't understand why I need Diablo 3 when I have Diablo 2. So the graphics aren't in a high resolution, but I think it still looks fantastic. One of the greatest games ever made.

Edited by NoelVeiga

@KoolAid: Why do people assume that because *they* care about Diablo lore the statement "most people don't care about Diablo lore" is false?

Honestly, I know hundreds (literally!) of people that played Diablo and you and this other guy who said the same thing in the chat during the livestream (might have been you too) are the only two that have ever told me they give a crap about it.

Plus, the whole statement isn't even "they don't care about lore", it's "what they really care about is mechanics and character building", which can be true even if you ALSO care about lore.

EDIT: Heh. Just noticed that you can hear Brad getting sick as the podcast goes on. Weird.

Posted by KoolAid

@NoelVeiga:

My point is not that every one cares about one thing or the other. It's that different parts of the game appeal to different people. I rarely build more then one or two characters in a RPG. Many people create a lot of characters. What's important is that the game is , lets say, "full figured" enough so that a lot of different players find something they like about it. The story and lore is obviously important to Diablo because they spend a lot of time on it. All the NPC will have something to say about every quest. But most of that dialogue is optional. Maybe I'm being hard on Brad because he is clearly using hyperbole when he say's "Everyone does this", but i guess I get frustrated when people tell me why I like a game.

Posted by Cogzwell

God, the experience of Diablo 3 is just so fucking slow and spoon fed, I can't even watch it.

Posted by Jolt92

Boogers was my favorite part.

Posted by Boopie

Torchlight FTW!

Posted by cthomer5000

Would love to see a D&D TNT.

Posted by slayergnome

Hey why don't you guys do a D&D endurance run. Maybe make it a weekly endurance run thou, it would get kinda old every day...

Edited by Maluvin

@david1890 said:

No one cares about Diablo lore? WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

/nerdrage

I do have to say that I was surprised to see the crew minimize the importance of the lore to some players. Sure a lot of us play Diablo primarily for the kill/loot/level experience but there's plenty of players who care about the lore too!

Also best looking angels ever!

Posted by Tennmuerti

Man this is like the new high watermark for misinforamtion for a bombcast.

Posted by Viking_Funeral

I assume that people have pointed out that you can play Steam games offline, and that you only need to log into Steam once after the game is installed? Hard to check comments on my phone.

Posted by fox01313

Wait they are still making Sonic games? Not sure at this point what's sadder, the diehard fans of the series or the publishers who keep ramming money to devs to make it. Also always wondered about the gender of the word barista, anyone looking up more on coffee try Alton Brown/Good Eats on Youtube (link below of the official posts from good eats on youtube).

Posted by FreakAche

Why is the Bombcast comments section getting more and more negative every week? I've been listening since 2008 (2007 if you count The Hotspot) and I still love the show as much as I ever have!

Posted by immortalmishima69

A few things: Where is Jeff? Usually we are made aware when someone is missing and why. Secondly, Ryan, this is not a movie podcast, and if it was, you still fail. Kate Beckinsale IS in the second movie. She was missing in the third one. Also, Ryan why are you defending repetition in a game. You can have an unpopular opinion on a game, but defending the repetition and nothing else doesn't really prove your case.

Posted by immortalmishima69

Pleeeeeeease stop saying DIE-ablo.

Posted by Lifendz

Obstensively? Goddamnit, Patrick.

Posted by ArbitraryWater

@Tennmuerti said:

Man this is like the new high watermark for misinforamtion for a bombcast.

Nah. I feel like if they don't mix up, misinterpret, overgeneralize, or in any other way screw up what should be simple information about games they know little about at least a dozen times it isn't a Bombcast.

Also, where the hell is Jeff? It took me like 20 minutes to realize he wasn't there. Usually they mention it at the start.

Posted by Xeteh

@smokyexe said:

My friend finished D3 on normal in 8 hours. He didn't rush anything.

No he didn't.

Posted by pochunki

@FreakAche said:

Why is the Bombcast comments section getting more and more negative every week? I've been listening since 2008 (2007 if you count The Hotspot) and I still love the show as much as I ever have!

So much this.

I didn't come here until the end of 2010, and I didn't really start listening to the bombcasts until 2011, but I went back through a listened to the vast majority of the old ones. I have always loved this podcast and I think I always will, and even if I didn't I wouldn't trash it in the comments just to be a dick.

Posted by Lobster_Ear

@immortalmishima69 said:

A few things: Where is Jeff? Usually we are made aware when someone is missing and why. Secondly, Ryan, this is not a movie podcast, and if it was, you still fail. Kate Beckinsale IS in the second movie. She was missing in the third one. Also, Ryan why are you defending repetition in a game. You can have an unpopular opinion on a game, but defending the repetition and nothing else doesn't really prove your case.

I hate everything about you and what you stand for.

Posted by DeviTiffany

I'm really happy the Giant Bomb guys aren't totally writing off Torchlight 2 now that Diablo 3 is out. It looks like the kind of game that could give Diablo 3 a run for it's money.

I'll be playing both.