257 Comments
Posted by umdesch4

Oh man, can I ever relate to that I5 driving story. Twice in my life I've had road trips on the I5 where I had to pull over-nighters in a cheap motel, due to crippling construction and no reasonable detour alternatives. Ugh...

Posted by Masha2932

I thought the applause at the Last of Us was because it was the end of the demo. The shooting came at the same time the demo ended.

Posted by joshthebear

Coming off of the 4 hour e3 podcasts and now 2 hours seems too short.

Posted by ildon

Marvel Ultimate Alliance Endurance Run?

Edited by nickux

I really loved the E3 discussion this week regarding the cynicism coming out of the show. Though, to be fair, the bulk of cynical write-offs I heard came from people on the E3 Bombcasts.

Posted by Brackynews

@Grillbar: I'm LOLrish boy. Ye must mean me brother, Bob O'Marley.

Posted by falling_fast

I feel bad that we indirectly put Jeff through the hell that he is describing.

Thank you, Jeff! we appreciate it!

Edited by squirrelnacho

@Sooty said:

@cyraxible said:

It's a fantastic game.

Is it? It's certainly well made and plays well, but it's way too long for what is essentially nothing but shoot guys. Over and over. Unlike the first two the slick style and story doesn't carry it past that because it's all weaker in 3. That's my problem with it anyway, if it wasn't for shooter fatigue I may have felt different.

Max Payne 3's writing, story, and atmosphere were no where near as good as the first two. The original developer had a better direction for the series. The style that the new developer uses in all their games does not work well with Max Payne, it fits better for GTA.

Also, the levels in Max Payne 3 are not well designed for bulletime, there are too many open spaces.

Posted by Rmack

Bah, I hate being a negative nancy in the comments but I disagree with that Tomb Raider PR being that big of a deal.

Yes, it could have been phrased better, but wanting the player to care about/protect the main character from the hell they're in is something I feel like games are missing nowadays. How many times did I see Nathan Drake fall to his death and just stop giving a shit about him? I'll pick up at the last checkpoint anyway, right? I feel like that's all that was trying to be said. And, you know what? A college girl with little survival skills is more sympathetic than some Indiana Jones type guy or a Space Marine. I don't think that's a sexist thing to say.

And to the point of the game being manipulative, I think games manipulate us more than we think. GTA3 and Bioshock are good examples of tugging at our emotions, in my opinion.

Posted by murisan

@Linkster7 said:

Is it just me or doesn't Max Payne 3 pick up before after the first few levels? I was way down on it up until the end of the stadium level, after that I loved it.

Yup. I rented it and absolutely HATED it on the 360. Decided to bite the bullet and buy it for the PC due to all the praise I heard for the port...

Beat it on Normal, playing again through all the "arcade" settings and Hard. It's SO GOOD.

Posted by Barrock

Anyone else a bit burned out on the Starcraft talk?

Also the lack of Vinny is depressing.

Posted by WVUEers

My only problem with the Max Payne story is that at a certain point his motives don't make sense anymore. They make it perfectly clear he's not necessarily a petty guy when it comes to his reputation, so after a certain point there really is no point in him to keep pursuing the end game of the storyline but he still does it. Didn't make sense to me, I'm like, nah Max would have said fuck this and peaced out.

Posted by wumbo3000

I loved, loved, LOVED, the discussion on this week's podcast. The goofy discourse about food and other random shit are funny and great, but the in depth talks about game stuff is really what makes the Bombcast special.

Posted by 234r2we232

Rock Star Games Presents: Michael Mann: The Experience. Another recycled third-person shooter with ideas ripped directly from crime thriller movies! Who needs actual good story telling when you can have crazy strobe filters, washed up cops and drug dealers!

Posted by adam1808

@JEC03: MP3 worked fine with a gamepad. It wasn't ideal but the aiming was just as manageable as a Vanquish or a Gears of War. Of course a mouse and keyboard is better but a gamepad is still a legitimate way to play the game

Posted by Tarsier

this outrage stuff is fuckkkkking pathetic

Posted by adam1808

@sofacitysweetheart: Isn't that every Rockstar game though? You can list their games then write the movie/director whose style they cribbed for each. As a fan of Scott and Mann, MP3 ticked all the right boxes. Guess it's just more subjective for people than most shooters in terms of its identity.

Posted by soundlug

I didn't think the 'Japanese Curveball' in Catherine was that bad... but then again, I got the True Lover Ending in my first try. Vanquish has a worst one and more annoying because the story it was basically Cyber GI Joe until that point ( idiotic but unharmful fun)

Posted by murisan

If Saint's Row 4 isn't a continuation of The Third...

No thanks!

Posted by DR_ZMBK

This is really cool stuff.

Posted by PixelPrinny

And the next round of the Bombcast Drinking game begins! Take a shot whenever Ryan says "yknow"! See how long you last!

Posted by Undeadpool

I've said it before, I'll say it again: you know you're spoiled rotten when your first thought on a podcast is "ONLY two hours?!?!"

Posted by Totori

The DLC really soured me on SR3, but it's got like 9 really really good missions.

Posted by ImmortalSaiyan

Great podcast this week, guys.

Posted by ceruelantransience

@Rmack:

I agree. I thought the response was ridiculous.

What they describe reminds me very much of the sensation I felt in Shadow of the Colossus. Throughout the game I did not feel as if I was Wander but instead was some kind of outside entity guiding him while he fought against impossible opposition. It was because of this dynamic I felt a strong urge to protect him. There were points where I would go out of my way to see he wouldn't take damage even if it meant impeding my progress through the game. It was a major factor in making that game as interesting of an experience as it was and definitely something I like to see someone else attempt.

The want to protect him didn't make me feel dirty or manipulated. I don't see why it would just because the character is of a different sex.

Edited by DharmaBum

Max Payne 3 is a masterpiece of a shooter. It's a shame that people couldn't figure out how to handle the combat mechanics or what the game expects of you in general. It strikes a fantastic balance of allowing you to feel overpowered and stylish while always maintaining a steady challenge to keep you on your toes.

Posted by Scarbearer

I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in feeling really uncomfortable every time a see a Tomb Raider trailer.

Posted by Grillbar

@joshthebear said:

Coming off of the 4 hour e3 podcasts and now 2 hours seems too short.

yeah i was at work and had to sleep wile they did it live and was way to busy to listen to it afterwards. and now im sick so yesterday i heard it all in one go while playing D3 best day ever

Posted by squidracerX

whats the deal with COCOANUT WATER? fill me in!!!!!

Posted by wrecks

Dat Reaction! I'll still play TR. Looks interesting.

Posted by squidracerX

@Grondoth said:

It's so goddamn bizarre to hear people say Buffalo Wings. Why aren't they just chicken wings? That's what WE call them, and we invented them!

i think most places if you ask for "chicken wings" you get barbeque or plain? i dunno but im in syracuse, we know buffalo wings too, and a local place if you order buffalo wings they come with BBQ? I wanna fight the dudes! hahaha

Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish

Patrick...your comments on Vita are completely crazy. Just gotta say. 

Posted by Juno500

@Totori said:

Japanese curve ball, I love it

For Catherine, it's better described as the "Shin Megami Tensei" curve ball.

I also completely, totally disagree with Patrick about the bosses, they weren't the worst part, they were by far the best. The last stage is one of my favorite final levels in a long time.

Posted by squirrelnacho

@adam1808: It stops being a Max Payne game, it's just a developer wanting to make a game with their own story and style but calling it Max Payne.

Posted by Marokai
@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:
Patrick...your comments on Vita are completely crazy. Just gotta say. 
Still amazed that we can have these ridiculous "Oh god, handhelds are dead! Apple is king! The iPhone has killed traditional portable gaming!" declarations considering the current successful state of the 3DS. It's like Patrick and others are determined to stick with that narrative no matter what. This is no statement of judgment on the Vita, which I do think is a quickly dying platform, but it's impossible to use the Vita, of all platforms, as some sort of example of portable gaming. More of Sony's poor decision making. 
Posted by Animasta

oh man Jeff you are like my favorite now, that indignant tone was SO GOOD

Posted by Grissefar

Boo no Vinny :(

I know he's busy after E3 but it's the only place we can count on hearing from Vinny.

Posted by Daiphyer

Goddammit, there has been a good lack of Vinny in the past month of Bombcasts. :( :( :( :(

Posted by evanbower

@Grondoth said:

It's so goddamn bizarre to hear people say Buffalo Wings. Why aren't they just chicken wings? That's what WE call them, and we invented them!

In Canada we don't call it Canadian bacon, but I've learned to live with it.

Posted by paulunga

The Japanese curveball would be the Shuuto, right? ;) But yeah, Catherine's characters are just as well-written as Persona 3 and 4's.

Posted by Humanity

This whole Bombcast is like some never before sequel to Grumpy Old Men. Some of their comments seem so negative and nitpicky. I was listening to Jeff in somewhat disbelief about the Tomb Raider incident because I didn't see what the deal was. The fact that she is a 20 year old on an island and as the player you're supposed to protect her - yah that makes sense. Disgusting and fuck that game? I mean whats going on here guys - at the end of the day it's just a game.

That thread about jaded cynicism in the Forum really comes to mind. I wonder if Vinny felt just as disgusted as he's usually the one voice that goes against the rest and that I find myself agreeing with.

Posted by OleMarthin

this is the best start one can wish for on his birthday:D

Posted by OneManX

@Humanity said:

This whole Bombcast is like some never before sequel to Grumpy Old Men. Some of their comments seem so negative and nitpicky. I was listening to Jeff in somewhat disbelief about the Tomb Raider incident because I didn't see what the deal was. The fact that she is a 20 year old on an island and as the player you're supposed to protect her - yah that makes sense. Disgusting and fuck that game? I mean whats going on here guys - at the end of the day it's just a game.

That thread about jaded cynicism in the Forum really comes to mind. I wonder if Vinny felt just as disgusted as he's usually the one voice that goes against the rest and that I find myself agreeing with.

Yeah that one seemed to be making a mountain out of a molehill. Like stop for one second and just think about for it a second. And yeah he could of said it better, but you get the general idea of what he was going for.

Edited by Humanity

@OneManX: Everything for the first half of the bombcast was just complaining. The comments about people cheering when they did the shotgun kill in Last of Us.. for YEARS this has been the norm and NOW Jeff and the guys are above that sort of stuff? Heck yah you cheer for a headshot kill - you see a big fat brain and Kratos rips it out? Yah thats what games are about. I don't know if they played games recently, but in 90% of all games you are mercilessly slaughtering hundreds of human beings.

Posted by MattClassic

I'm moving into a new place at the end of the month and it has hardwood floors everywhere except the kitchen and bathrooms, so I could totally play NBA Baller Kinect in my living room if I wanted to!

Too bad I don't want to! At all! Also, I don't own a 360 or a Kinect, nor do I plan to. And you couldn't pay me enough to play that silly looking piece of shit. So, uh, yeah. :/

Posted by Winternet

Two hours? But I had all these 5 hours to waste.

Posted by SuperfluousMoniker

Vanquish! So so so underrated, great to see it get some love.

Posted by BigDaveisCheap

@squidracerX said:

whats the deal with COCOANUT WATER? fill me in!!!!!

Apparently it cures diabetes and cancer... and tastes like nuts.

Posted by Antihippy

@Winternet: Listen to it 2 and a half times.

Problem solved.

Posted by smokyexe

You guys need to talk more about food that nobody but you and Americans know about. It's very interesting and not wasting time at all.