257 Comments
Posted by umdesch4

Geez, I wonder what was said concerning Brad's significant other? There's very clearly an edit (possibly even two) made just a few seconds past the 30 minute mark in this podcast (on either side of Brad saying "It went well though").

That sounds like there might have been a good story told in there somewhere.

Posted by DukesT3

@CaptStickybeard said:

@RVonE said:

Do you feel like you want to protect Nathan Drake?

Yes.

As charming as that dude is, fuck yeah I do!

Posted by Humanity

@AssInAss said:

I'm glad Ryan blames himself for succumbing to Brad not making Saint's Row 3 not getting GoTY over Skyrim.

Yah I was wondering though if he is just saying that or if he actually meant the fact that he basically didn't care and just went with Skyrim in the end.

Posted by mrpandaman

@RVonE said:

Do you feel like you want to protect Nathan Drake?

As much as I want to protect Kratos... I feel like I should protect everyone else, because almost every person that meets Drake meets an untimely end and every person Kratos meets dies as well (except some guy in the new God of War demo shown at the Sony Press Conference).

Posted by RVonE

@mutha3 said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_(slang)

new lara croft is gonna be moé as fuck

Oh man, that made me laugh harder than it reasonably should have. Thanks for making my day!

Posted by atomic_dumpling
@mutha3 said:
new lara croft is gonna be moé as fuck
*taps out*
Posted by Peanut

Ryan seriously drinking the fucking kool-aid on MUA. He's hyping that shit to a level it won't deliver on.

Edited by Marokai

I'm disappointed there's so much complaining about this bombcast. They actually discuss serious topics for once and argue from different viewpoints with each other over the nature of E3, trailers, video game violence, disappointment vs. senseless optimism over press conferences, sexism, etc, and people hate it as the worst bombcast in the history of the world. Do you guys want them to just talk about pizza and then dance around the podcast room for an hour and ahalf making silly noises? I wish more bombcasts were like this, and I wish more conversations like those had on the bombcast were had throughout the gaming industry. If you care about the credibility of so much of the gaming press, you should want to hear more conversations like this too. 

Posted by Redsox44

Awesome bombcast.

OMG I still have a copy of Marvel Ultimate Alliance, it can finally be put to use! That is if you can still play online co-op in it.

Posted by bluefoxxy

Awesome podcast! One note: Seems like the team at Kotaku does alot of shady/sketchy reporting... TMZ of gaming news? thoughts?

Posted by magellan

One of my favorite podcasts because the crew expressed some the frustrations that I happen to share with them about the gaming industry

Posted by Totori

I don't get the whole tomb raider problem. You wanted to protect the girl in ICO and isn't that one everyone's favorite games? You wanted to protect the girl in Enslaved and that game was good. I don't even understand, the whole thing when your playing that character. Doesn't everyone want to protect the character they are playing as, for the sheer fact that they don't want to play that section again?  

Posted by murisan

Fuck yeah Jeff. Your opinion on Tomb Raider and the advertising for Lollipop Chainsaw is spot on.

Posted by murisan

@Totori said:

I don't get the whole tomb raider problem. You wanted to protect the girl in ICO and isn't that one everyone's favorite games? You wanted to protect the girl in Enslaved and that game was good. I don't even understand, the whole thing when your playing that character. Doesn't everyone want to protect the character they are playing as, for the sheer fact that they don't want to play that section again?

Rape.

Posted by Totori
@murisan: But there is no rape in the game. If there was it would get an AO rateing and would not be allowed to be sold in stores.
Posted by murisan

@Hashbrowns: Holy shit, thanks for that gameplay clip. It's been so long since I played MP before the third that I forgot about killshots, rolling, cover, and pretty much how Max Payne 3 is SO MUCH LIKE the first two.

Edited by Xeirus

@bluefoxxy said:

Awesome podcast! One note: Seems like the team at Kotaku does alot of shady/sketchy reporting... TMZ of gaming news? thoughts?

Been like that for a while, it's sad, they used to be real good.

I stopped going there about 2 years ago or so when they posted an article on how to cheat on your spouse.

Posted by Carousel

@murisan said:

@Totori said:

Rape.

This is being blown way out of proportion.

Instead of "Wow. This is a bad guy with bad intentions"

It's

"THIS IS GRAPHIC RAPE MISOGYNY."

Posted by DallasTheGamer

Listening to the bombcast while being away on "work" saves me from killing myself because of boredom.

Posted by gavku
Posted by atomic_dumpling

@Totori said:

Doesn't everyone want to protect the character they are playing as, for the sheer fact that they don't want to play that section again?

Excellent point. What line did they cross, exactly? I don't get it.

Posted by n0nametaz

God Brad why ells would any one go to E3 if their not trying to lick some strep throat!!!

Posted by ExplodeMode

I'm glad someone finally vocalized the disconnect in video game presentation or marketing perversion.

You ask why the footage was so actiony and stupid and the answer you get is that it has to appeal to the crowd that wants stupid action - but don't worry the game is still what you want. So are they lying to me about what the game is or to the other crowd with the footage? So are they going to bitch when half the people who buy their game give it harsh user reviews or trade it in because they were sold something else? Or are they trying to be everything to everyone and homogenizing themselves into irrelevance?

Posted by CharAznable

Jeff fucking nailed it on the dumb marketing that targets guys. I don't want to be treated like a lecherous slob at every turn, only some of the time.

Posted by seintsu

Oh Ryan judging food... His taste bud sensitivity must be wrecked with all the junk that goes down his gullet.

Posted by WesleyWyndam

Hey, I just signed up for an account here to say that I agree with you guys on Tomb Raider, Lollipop Chainsaw, and marketing in general.

After seeing the trailers going all the way back to last year, this was my most anticipated title. Now, after reading that dudes quotes about caring for her the way you wouldn't care about a male character, this dropped from my most anticipated title to a title I don't want to play at all. When I'm playing a game as a sole, developed protagonist, I'm imagining I'm that character, not protecting that character. I never thought I was protecting Nathan Drake, Alan Wake, Lara Croft, etc. I was those people. I was fighting for my life. That's what separates games form other media.

So to have this guy infer that I will be some voyeur protecting the character because I am male and she is female pissed me off. It is a sexist statement and I don't want any part of it.

Posted by RD_21

I never played Max Payne 1 and 2 THAT much as you guys, but Max Payne 3 is an AMAZING and INCREDIBLE game.

I love the Noire element, I love the narration. The character being a broken mess and a piece of shit is really new and refreshing and help set the end. I played it 2 times and still need to do the New York Minute and I still want to replay it since it so awesome. I definately enjoyed my second playthrough on hardcore more than my first on hard. It seemed easy and I new the game and it's mechanic by then.

Posted by RD_21

@frankepooz: I played it 2 times on console and I don't use cover that much. I shoot dodge most of the time and kill people in slow mo.

As for the character I like that he's a broken piece of shit, make the story better by the end.

Posted by switters

To Patrick and any other gamer out there who are going to play Vanquish: Play with Japanese language track on. It is superior to the English track on every level and actually makes the story ok in a Japanese sort of way.

I love Vanquish by the way and i'm happy to see others playing it

Posted by fiberpay

@Humanity said:

This whole Bombcast is like some never before sequel to Grumpy Old Men. Some of their comments seem so negative and nitpicky. I was listening to Jeff in somewhat disbelief about the Tomb Raider incident because I didn't see what the deal was. The fact that she is a 20 year old on an island and as the player you're supposed to protect her - yah that makes sense. Disgusting and fuck that game? I mean whats going on here guys - at the end of the day it's just a game.

That thread about jaded cynicism in the Forum really comes to mind. I wonder if Vinny felt just as disgusted as he's usually the one voice that goes against the rest and that I find myself agreeing with.

I don't post much, but I agree with you. When I heard Jeff's comments about Tomb Raider I was like WTF. There is nothing wrong with wanting to protect a woman from bad things, more so if she is stranded on a island with people who are trying to kill her.

I feel like he might just be trying to be politically correct, as sexism is video games is a big deal. But I don't feel this is sexist. Yes they could have gone the way that Lara Croft has been in the past, which is the kick ass strong woman. But I think a woman who needs help is also a viable direction. Not all women are as strong as previous Lara and not all women are helpless like new Lara, their both logical.

Bottom line is it's a game that tells a story and this story is a woman who needs help. If he thinks all woman and men are superhuman then i guess "Fuck That Game".

Posted by switters

Hey, this isn't a question but a tip about free games you get from Playstation Plus. When the free games go live at the beginning of the month you only have until the next cycle or the end of the month to download the games to have access to them while you are a + user. There are a crazy number of good games this month, around 50-60 gigs worth if you downloaded everything. So here is what you do for the games you want to play eventually. Start the download for the game you want and then cancel it right away, taking up no space. The red downloaded box will show up over the game image and you will now have the game as long as you have +. Hopefully this was helpful tip. Thanks, Darrell from Phoenix

Edited by Xeirus

@fiberpay said:

@Humanity said:

This whole Bombcast is like some never before sequel to Grumpy Old Men. Some of their comments seem so negative and nitpicky. I was listening to Jeff in somewhat disbelief about the Tomb Raider incident because I didn't see what the deal was. The fact that she is a 20 year old on an island and as the player you're supposed to protect her - yah that makes sense. Disgusting and fuck that game? I mean whats going on here guys - at the end of the day it's just a game.

That thread about jaded cynicism in the Forum really comes to mind. I wonder if Vinny felt just as disgusted as he's usually the one voice that goes against the rest and that I find myself agreeing with.

I don't post much, but I agree with you. When I heard Jeff's comments about Tomb Raider I was like WTF. There is nothing wrong with wanting to protect a woman from bad things, more so if she is stranded on a island with people who are trying to kill her.

I feel like he might just be trying to be politically correct, as sexism is video games is a big deal. But I don't feel this is sexist. Yes they could have gone the way that Lara Croft has been in the past, which is the kick ass strong woman. But I think a woman who needs help is also a viable direction. Not all women are as strong as previous Lara and not all women are helpless like new Lara, their both logical.

Bottom line is it's a game that tells a story and this story is a woman who needs help. If he thinks all woman and men are superhuman then i guess "Fuck That Game".

Umm, that's their opinions?

I never understand why people give two shits about what games other people love/hate. It's like is Jeff disliked a movie and everyone lost their shit in disbelief... who cares? If that's how he feels who are any of you do say he's wrong?

To be clear, I am actually really looking forward to Tomb Raider, but I don't care if someone else doesn't like it.

Posted by notsonic

There's been a v8 5th gen camaro since ever.

Posted by Karmann

Jeff, test drive the new 5.0 Mustang. You won't regret it.

Posted by Humanity

@Xeirus said:

@fiberpay said:

@Humanity said:

Umm, that's their opinions?

I never understand why people give two shits about what games other people love/hate. It's like is Jeff disliked a movie and everyone lost their shit in disbelief... who cares? If that's how he feels who are any of you do say he's wrong?

To be clear, I am actually really looking forward to Tomb Raider, but I don't care if someone else doesn't like it.

It's not about them disliking or liking the game but rather about the strangely exaggerated reaction from the crew about something that seems kind of minor - which ties into my whole thing about them seeming to be way grumpy about stuff. I also give a shit at times when I think someone is totally way off base on their view of a subject. It's like if you were at a dinner party and someone announced they thought concentration camps were actually a great idea in WWII - I guess you could just not speak up and saying anything, but it's a sort of situation where you feel you need to say something. Obviously this is video games and it's not that serious but since were on the comments section of the Bombcast I feel like it's the perfect place to voice MY opinion of THEIR opinions.

Posted by NTM

I'm agreeing fully with the giantbomb crew on this one.

Posted by dudeglove

No surprises there with crecente

Posted by Xeirus

@Humanity: Yup, concentration camps is a totally valid comparison, I stopped reading there, I can see I'm wasting my time, I'm done with this conversation. Some people.... just clueless.

Posted by Humanity

@Xeirus: Yes, I know exactly how you feel! Let me mock exasperation a bit to add validity to my statement SHEESH some people AM I right?!

Posted by RD_21

You are reading WAY too much into the Tomb Raider thing. He just want the character to be vulnerable instead of being a Wonder Woman.

And it's true that when you see the demos and trailers you feel uneasy seeing a woman get beat like that, but then you think of every time Nathan Drake gets the shit beat out of him and we barely react. That's the true sexism to threat the woman differently than man. Just like in the South Park episode where they were saying that judging someone for hainous crime is racism because you judge the person with the race factor.

Also if you think about it, it's not far from what Naughty Dog are doing with "Ellie" in the Last of Us, they even said that they wanted to make her young and vulnerable so you will feel like you need to protect her, how is it different that much?

When you say that you feel you need to defend yourself from the people you know, the people you would have to defend yourself to, don't even knwo about that and videogame mostly. You never have to defend yourself to anyone for enjoying a game.

The only time I felt close to how you feel and felt disgusted was with Bayonetta (I ended up playing it down the line and it's an awesome game, but still). I hated the fact that they thought that if they had a strong sexualised empowered woman with guns and swords the nerd will wet their pants and get the game, that's WAY more insulting than trying to appeal to our general instinct of wanting to protect a woman, which you are doing with your comment. You are defending woman saying they don't need to be defend and you want nothing to do with a game that try to appeal to one of our common instinct.

F that game that want to manipulate me and make me relate to it, right? When you cry from a movie or from a game you get manipulated also, do you say "F that movie for making me cry?"

Stop trying to act like you are too good to be manipulated, they want you to relate to their game and want to be attached to them and engrossed by them so of course they will try to strike cord and make you feel thing, if you want to see evil manipulation in it then go ahead, but start being conscious about all the entertainement that manipulate you also.

Patrick was talking about Vanquish, you know what Vanquish does? It manipulate you into feeling like a bad ass. I bet you never look at it that way right?

Asura's Wrath? It manipulate you because like you guys said when you play it you can't help but think "Man this is cool" so MANIPULATION RIGHT THERE!

Uncharted? Manipulate you into feeling like an adventurer.

Sports games? Manipulate you being able to play like a pro.

Of course those are all various degree of manipulation, but for what you guys see as manipulation or don't depending on how you want to see it, I see it as a way to make a good game with a good story or a twist that you can relate to and/or have fun with.

Edited by RD_21

For The Last of Us, you guys don't seem to remember it right. The crowd popped and went "F YEAH" with the cheers and applause when Elie threw the brick to the bad guy because it was awesome to see how she can help you and funny. When the shotgun blast happenned I didn't hear people go "YEEEAAAHHH"" with crazy cheers and applause, they cheered when the logo appeared and the demo was over, you know like any of us would have done after that awesome demo.

@Xeirus: In this case I think you are what you accuse the other of. If you can't see an example for what it is, even after he state that it may not be the most correct comparison it shows that you just don't want to understand or try to see his point.

His point is that if something evoke a strong reaction for you because the other is so wrong, you may want to voice your opinion of their opinion, that's usually what conversations and debates are for. But maybe we should all agree all the time.

Posted by Supertom11

Let's not forget that the "strong and powerful" Lara Croft from the original series also had huge lips, over sized tits and a 14" waist. She was blatantly overly sexualized and now she's being looked at like a role model? Guess what people, a 20 year old college student trapped on an island full of people trying to kill her, IS PROBABLY GOING TO BE A LITTLE VULNERABLE". The way I read that interview was that they want you to care for her and feel her struggle which will make eventual triumph feel great, not protect some helpless girl like we all have daddy issues.

Edited by Laner

@RD_21 said:

You are reading WAY too much into the Tomb Raider thing. He just want the character to be vulnerable instead of being a Wonder Woman.

Exactly - and personally, I welcome the change of pace. For all the talk of "realism" in games, having a female protagonist that can always kick the enemy's (read "men's") ass without breaking a sweat is highly unrealistic. All things being equal, an average man would be able to put the hurt on an average woman every single time. Crazy feral island men versus a scared female college student? Even more so. And yes, I'm sure such men could have sexual intentions toward said female as well. I don't think that fact alone makes it exploitative or sexist. If you were playing the crazy feral island men attempting to rape Lara, then you might have a point.

As far as the comments about wanting to "protect" the character, again, I fail to see what all the sturm und drang was about. Are the Bombcasters thinking it's sexist? Manipulative? I couldn't tell. Either way, I don't see how trying to keep the player emotionally invested in their on-screen avatar is a bad thing. Is it because Lara is a woman? Are the folks at Giant Bomb not protective of their mothers/sisters/wives/girlfriends? I certainly am - if that makes me a monster, oh well.

Previous commenters have said things along the line of "well, didn't you want to 'protect' Nathan Drake?" Honestly, no. Protect him so I wouldn't have to reload and play through the previous section again? Sure. But that's not the same as being emotionally invested in the character's well-being. Again, not a bad thing, IMO.

Posted by dvorak

The comments for the podcast, are once again, top notch.

Posted by DoctorWelch

I seriously cannot understand what is happening with people these days. Can no one evaluate situations with their own minds? Is everything and everyone purely reactionary with no sense of reality or the feelings and positions of others? Yes Jeff, this Tomb Raider stuff is disgusting, but it's disgusting because of the horribly unfair reaction, and downright closed-mindedness of those criticizing this game. So characters like the Lollipop Chainsaw girl are now suddenly fine, but when a studio tries to make a unique female character that is put through an extremely adult situation it's sexist? A hyper sexualized and unrealistic Laura is okay, but the new, more realistic and unique Laura who is going to go through some heavy shit and then have the ability to overcome it is somehow a bad thing?

I'm begging everyone, please, for the sake of humanity, can we actually think through our opinions and reactions to things instead of acting purely off of instinct like an animal? Can we realize that pretty much no situation is black and white, and no situation is exactly the same? Can we realize that just because that Kickstarter is getting shit on from teenagers, as adults we don't have to match them in our reactionary immaturity? So lastly I ask, can we just look at this Tomb Raider thing like calm, rational people, instead of going with our gut reaction and running with it without a second thought?

Posted by MOAB

@DoctorWelch: yeah, jeff's reaction seemed out of character. much ado about nothing.

Posted by GioVANNI

@DoctorWelch: He said that it was disgusting not because she's put into those situations, but because the developers only put her in those situations to emotionally manipulate men to want to protect her.

Posted by DoctorWelch

@GioVANNI: That's a completely made up position though. No one has played the game yet to truly know the context, and the quotes from the developer are in no way indicative of any kind of malice or deception on the part of the developer to target the male audience in that way. All the quotes lead me to believe that they are simply trying to make this unique character that goes through some serious shit, and the quotes about that stuff clearly represents that. There's no way they could have ever predicted the reaction they would get, and if they were trying to be manipulative don't you think they would have been super super cautious about what exactly they said? With what happened though, it just seems that the team was really excited about making this realistic, mature character that goes through some adult situations, and they wanted to tease that a little bit.

Posted by fiberpay

@Xeirus: It's not that I'm saying Jeff is wrong, and should like the game, I'm saying I don't understand his reasoning for it. He said "Fuck that game" because they are marketing this game as she is defenseless and she needs your help. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that. If a 20 something woman crashed on a island with a bunch of guys trying to kill her, I think I would try to help her.

Again I don't care if Jeff like's it or not, hell I don't know if I'm going to like it or not. But I found his reasoning a little odd and would of like to hear a little more of why he didn't like it.

Posted by Xeirus

@fiberpay said:

@Xeirus: It's not that I'm saying Jeff is wrong, and should like the game, I'm saying I don't understand his reasoning for it. He said "Fuck that game" because they are marketing this game as she is defenseless and she needs your help. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that. If a 20 something woman crashed on a island with a bunch of guys trying to kill her, I think I would try to help her.

Again I don't care if Jeff like's it or not, hell I don't know if I'm going to like it or not. But I found his reasoning a little odd and would of like to hear a little more of why he didn't like it.

He didn't just say "fuck that game" he explained hsi entire reasoning behind it and everyone else sat there and agreed, I don't see Jeff's opinion as any stand-out. While I'm not as disgusted as they are, it's a little off-putting to say the least the way the company is going about it.