257 Comments
Posted by fiberpay

@Xeirus: No he didn't. He just said if that's how their marketing this game then "Fuck that Game". While that might be enough of an explanation for you, it wasn't for me. I want to know what it is about you protecting her that is so wrong.

Posted by Xeirus

@fiberpay said:

@Xeirus: No he didn't. He just said if that's how their marketing this game then "Fuck that Game". While that might be enough of an explanation for you, it wasn't for me. I want to know what it is about you protecting her that is so wrong.

Dude, go listen again, they talk AT LENGTH about it, you cannot seriously be ignoring the entire conversation.

Posted by fiberpay

@Xeirus: Really, your not getting it. I want to know what is wrong with them marketing it as a woman in need of help. He NEVER says why he just says that its disgusting and not who he is, blah blah blah. I want to know WHY he is disgusted, more than just its not who he is. Is it because he thinks all women are strong? Is it because Lara Croft has always been a strong woman? Ect......

You don't get it!

Posted by Xeirus

@fiberpay said:

@Xeirus: Really, your not getting it. I want to know what is wrong with them marketing it as a woman in need of help. He NEVER says why he just says that its disgusting and not who he is, blah blah blah. I want to know WHY he is disgusted, more than just its not who he is. Is it because he thinks all women are strong? Is it because Lara Croft has always been a strong woman? Ect......

You don't get it!

For the love of god, it's "YOU'RE", nothing annoys me more...

back to the topic at hand, I must not "get it" because I felt it was pretty clear, maybe you should msg Jeff or maybe listen to the cast a few more times.

Posted by fiberpay

@Xeirus: So that annoys you but your fine using msg? lol. Nothing annoys me more than people correcting grammar on a forum, talk about a waste of time. As someone who is at work i'm not going to set here a correct every mistake I make, when most of the people reading this are not even out of high school.

I might try messaging him.

Posted by styder

"You dont need to have any interest in golf" "good, because I dont" cracked me up

Edited by inappropriate_touchscreen

I do think Jeff is overreacting on the whole Tomb Raider issue. Developers 'manipulate' players' emotions all the time, deliberately, in various ways. Put a crying adult man in this scene, have this couple kiss at this exact moment, frame this scene so the sun casts shadows at this angle...all to manipulate (influence?) the player to feel a certain emotion.

What if 'Panic Room' starred a big, muscled, martial arts expert instead of Jodie Foster? Would the audience feel the same connection to the character in that situation? They cast a suitable character for the role, to elicit a specific feeling from the audience. How is this different?

Did the developer say they only wanted men to feel protective of Lara? Is protectiveness a behaviour only men have, that creating a vulnerable female character instantly means they are disgustingly aiming to appeal to condescending males? Would female players also not be able to empathise and feel the need to protect a vulnerable Lara Croft?

Posted by antivanti

As for the quote on Lara in the the new Tomb Raider. Couldn't it just be that it was meant as a description of how frail she is in the beginning just to show the arc she will have from that to the bad-ass Lara we all know. Not that the point of the game is to "protect her". Just that she starts out as someone that if you met her you would feel she needs protecting and how she has to learn how to take care of her self.

And as for the cheering at blowing the head off of the guy in the end of the The Last of Us demo. It might not be cheering the ultraviolence. It could be a combination of that but also shock at the ending combined with cheering at the end of a demo for a game that legitimately looks awesome.

Edited by mr_woo

Jeff you should absolutely play the PC version of Max Payne 3. After playing both the 360 and PC versions through a few times I'd easily recommend the PC version over any of the others for a few reasons.

For a start it looks absolutely terrific. I seriously don't know what Brad was on about but it's a huge upgrade graphically over the console versions. In an interview the lead PC developer said it has 3 - 4 times the texture size and it shows within the game nicely. I'm still utterly gobsmacked Brad never noticed this.

The higher framerate is another reason also, everything just feels smoother and more responsive, just like any game running at 60fps

The biggest reason for me though are the controls. I'm not some elitist PC gamer who thinks mouse and keyboard is the greatest (and I tend to use the controller a lot for other games on PC) but for Max Payne specifically it's fantastic. The sensitivity is a lot higher on mouse compared to the analogue sticks and it feels a lot more like the older games. It feels less clunky if that makes sense. I was quite frankly really surprised when playing the PC version. We all saw what happened with their GTA 4 port but this feels much more optimised. Unfortunately you still can't skip cutscenes for multiple playthroughs but that's my only real issue with it. There was also some mouse acceleration in the game but that was fixed in a patch a few days after release (though you need to use a command line to use it until they patch it into the actual menus)

It doesn't mean you'll like the game anymore but I just found a lot of those things added up to a much more enjoyable experience and is certainly worth a go if the game still appeals to you. Also turn off all that extra aim assist shit and there's a terrible option for 'slow down reticle near an enemy' which is utterly awful and needs to be turned off pronto.

As for the game itself well I love it to pieces, it's easily my favourite third person shooter this generation. Yeah it's more a Rockstar game than a Remedy game but I still love Maxs character in this and it feels like he goes through a proper character arc over the course of the game. James McCaffrey does a fantastic job. Yeah he wallows in self pity quite a lot near the start but this changes throughout the game and look at the life the poor bastard has had. No wonder he's depressed as fuck and yet he always tries to do the right thing regardless if he fails or succeeds. I love messed up characters in games, give me characters like Max Payne or Kane and Lynch anyday. I find playing as them endlessly entertaining but well maybe that's just me.

I am quite gutted that their is no Dead Man Walking mode though. I really want some 'Instant action' mode where they just throw you into a level and have you shoot AI at varying difficulties.

Edited by ptys

I remember a quote a few years back of when Jeff made fun of people complaining "I didn't want to shoot him but the game made me". Now the shoes on the other foot as he doesn't want to see certain graphic parts of Tomb Raider and basically writes off the game because of it. You can look at the French film 'Irreversible' and say the same sort of "manipulation" of the player/audience member is going on there, but because it film that's ok. Gamers need to grow up and let developer take a few more risks and make mistakes. I think the quote from the 'Crystal' guy is bogus, but it's getting way too much attention for something said in one interview.

Posted by firecracker22

Storytelling is all about manipulation. From start to finish. Either about manipulating the emotions of the viewer, or player when it comes to games, or even something as simple as manipulating their eyes to follow the appropriate panels in a comic book.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with it. Movies where you well up and feel like crying because of the death of a character you cared about is great manipulation from a storyteller putting it to use. They had you crying about the fake death of someone who never even actually existed. I mean, that kinda says it all in terms of where manipulation stands with storytelling.

Posted by namesonkel

Hey Patrick, bakc off that mic.

Posted by sodapop7

The marketing did exactly what they wanted it to do it got you talking about the game. No such thing as bad publicity and marketing is always going to go to the lowest common denominator.

Although I wasn't too interested in Last of Us I didn't get the same feeling from the reaction the guys did. It seemed people were very excited about the trailer as a whole and I don't feel the applause would've been much different if it had ended differently.

Posted by adambyrney

Just sayin', I think it's REALLY obvious that the context of protecting her in the game is meant in contrast of the badass she is usually portrayed as.

Can people stop judging what is okay for a woman to be, in any media. What is wrong with a vulnerable female character in a bad situation who then overcomes it?

Its sorta meta how everyones trying to protect women from this bad, oppressive game when NOTHING has actually been sexist in any way.

Edited by bybeach

All I can say is I played Max Payne 3 on PC, and it's one of the better games I have played in my life. All respect to Vinny but I am unequivocally 2 thumbs up. It does it's subject oriented progression to my satisfaction, to developing a genuine Max Payne game, though the Rockstar stamp still makes me question some seeming extremes. True, no humor, except in a couple of scenes,.. if you even see it. Such as Max yanking the young man up to his feet because of the rather awkward kneeling crotch facing position the guy was in beforehand. Made me laugh, one of about only 2 times. But I approve. Hey, it's not working a checklist, it is working what the nature of this game should be to be honest. I do question some of the Rockstar brutal stuff, not all but.....and not the second to last boss. That I would accept. maybe something in the last boss scene, and more to the extreme of it.

That soft drink experience on top of being sick..fun in a sucky way when things going wrong hits all cylinders.

They had to do something new with Tomb Raider...heh.

Posted by Dylabaloo

Jeff is overreacting, isn't the last of us trying to evoke that same "minipulation" with wanting you to feel a sense of protection of the girl companion. For media to be impactful, to have that emotional response, make you cry, laugh and terrify you it is minpulating you. This guys comment has been completely villified for no reason. The very fact that Lara crofts character at the very start was boobs and tight clothes and that was ok but when we try to make her a 3 demensional character poeple start to complain is just silly. Written on phone I apologise in advance for lack of paragraph.

Edited by chose
@Dylabaloo said:

Jeff is overreacting, isn't the last of us trying to evoke that same "minipulation" with wanting you to feel a sense of protection of the girl companion. For media to be impactful, to have that emotional response, make you cry, laugh and terrify you it is minpulating you. This guys comment has been completely villified for no reason. The very fact that Lara crofts character at the very start was boobs and tight clothes and that was ok but when we try to make her a 3 demensional character poeple start to complain is just silly. Written on phone I apologise in advance for lack of paragraph.

You haven't understand a damn thing, the problem isn't the design INTENTION, but the design PHILOSOPHY.

When the interviewed dev said "When you see her have to face these challenges, you start to root for her in a way that you might not root for a male character." is implying that she is not weak and vulnerable by design, but because she is a woman and therefore inherently weak and vulnerable, he could have said submissive and helpless would be the same. 

"You will pity her" is essentially is message. Was he ill intended, no, he meant good, but even tho the result is the same, his reason is wrong. There's a difference between helping the poor out of compassion and helping them out of fear [of going to hell].

Lara Croft could sure use some help but she doesn't need someone to "protect her" (hold her hand), she ain't a CHILD, mentally disabled, crippled, very old and so on. Her situation allows for her to succeed by herself. She is not fighting Mike Tyson in a boxing match, and if she was her failure would not be attributable to her gender. This is where the root of the problem lies.

The situation would be the same for any male protagonist, even Jack Bauer; she crashed on an island, outnumbered, surrounded by armed criminals. In the real world, both gender would find themselves dead rather quickly; outnumbered = game over. Unless there is a situation where the ability to pee 2 meters in front of you makes the difference between dying and surviving, I would be just as fucked as Lara is. Anyone who wouldn't cheer for an innocent man hunted by psychopathic murderers, and probably rapers, the same way they would for a woman have issues.
Posted by corewalker

This fucking place has turned into a hate-fest since CBSi came on-board...seemingly at least.

Posted by m16mojo2

Wow... Just wow. I'm amazed how many of you deny basic psychology. Males in particular.

The rape scene wasn't just thrown in haphazardly. It creates fear, panic, anger, and the need that most males have - "the need to Protect" Sure it manipulates you but, why play this kind of game then if you want to be emotionally detached?

I just think that this thing has gotten blown way out of proportion, IMO

Posted by Humanity

@chose said:

@Dylabaloo said:

You haven't understand a damn thing, the problem isn't the design INTENTION, but the design PHILOSOPHY. When the interviewed dev said "When you see her have to face these challenges, you start to root for her in a way that you might not root for a male character." is implying that she is not weak and vulnerable by design, but because she is a woman and therefore inherently weak and vulnerable, he could have said submissive and helpless would be the same. "You will pity her" is essentially is message. Was he ill intended, no, he meant good, but even tho the result is the same, his reason is wrong. There's a difference between helping the poor out of compassion and helping them out of fear [of going to hell]. Lara Croft could sure use some help but she doesn't need someone to "protect her" (hold her hand), she ain't a CHILD, mentally disabled, crippled, very old and so on. Her situation allows for her to succeed by herself. She is not fighting Mike Tyson in a boxing match, and if she was her failure would not be attributable to her gender. This is where the root of the problem lies. The situation would be the same for any male protagonist, even Jack Bauer; she crashed on an island, outnumbered, surrounded by armed criminals. In the real world, both gender would find themselves dead rather quickly; outnumbered = game over. Unless there is a situation where the ability to pee 2 meters in front of you makes the difference between dying and surviving, I would be just as fucked as Lara is. Anyone who wouldn't cheer for an innocent man hunted by psychopathic murderers, and probably rapers, the same way they would for a woman have issues.

And here we were thinking that Jeff was the one overreacting to the whole thing.. You sound pretty crazy man. Lara Croft is a woman and you will obviously always treat her differently than a Nathan Drake character - because she's a woman. When the day comes that we as a society will abandon gender differentiation and and all become a proverbial "it" then I suppose we can start working on games where a female character will be a mirror image of a male character. Until then I will happily relate accordingly when I'm playing a male or female lead.

Posted by DexterKid

@Laner said:

@RD_21 said:

You are reading WAY too much into the Tomb Raider thing. He just want the character to be vulnerable instead of being a Wonder Woman.

Exactly - and personally, I welcome the change of pace. For all the talk of "realism" in games, having a female protagonist that can always kick the enemy's (read "men's") ass without breaking a sweat is highly unrealistic. All things being equal, an average man would be able to put the hurt on an average woman every single time. Crazy feral island men versus a scared female college student? Even more so. And yes, I'm sure such men could have sexual intentions toward said female as well. I don't think that fact alone makes it exploitative or sexist. If you were playing the crazy feral island men attempting to rape Lara, then you might have a point.

As far as the comments about wanting to "protect" the character, again, I fail to see what all the sturm und drang was about. Are the Bombcasters thinking it's sexist? Manipulative? I couldn't tell. Either way, I don't see how trying to keep the player emotionally invested in their on-screen avatar is a bad thing. Is it because Lara is a woman? Are the folks at Giant Bomb not protective of their mothers/sisters/wives/girlfriends? I certainly am - if that makes me a monster, oh well.

Previous commenters have said things along the line of "well, didn't you want to 'protect' Nathan Drake?" Honestly, no. Protect him so I wouldn't have to reload and play through the previous section again? Sure. But that's not the same as being emotionally invested in the character's well-being. Again, not a bad thing, IMO.

Agreed. I have no idea why some people are over-reacting this way towards this game.

Posted by SpartyOn

@DexterKid said:

@Laner said:

@RD_21 said:

You are reading WAY too much into the Tomb Raider thing. He just want the character to be vulnerable instead of being a Wonder Woman.

Exactly - and personally, I welcome the change of pace. For all the talk of "realism" in games, having a female protagonist that can always kick the enemy's (read "men's") ass without breaking a sweat is highly unrealistic. All things being equal, an average man would be able to put the hurt on an average woman every single time. Crazy feral island men versus a scared female college student? Even more so. And yes, I'm sure such men could have sexual intentions toward said female as well. I don't think that fact alone makes it exploitative or sexist. If you were playing the crazy feral island men attempting to rape Lara, then you might have a point.

As far as the comments about wanting to "protect" the character, again, I fail to see what all the sturm und drang was about. Are the Bombcasters thinking it's sexist? Manipulative? I couldn't tell. Either way, I don't see how trying to keep the player emotionally invested in their on-screen avatar is a bad thing. Is it because Lara is a woman? Are the folks at Giant Bomb not protective of their mothers/sisters/wives/girlfriends? I certainly am - if that makes me a monster, oh well.

Previous commenters have said things along the line of "well, didn't you want to 'protect' Nathan Drake?" Honestly, no. Protect him so I wouldn't have to reload and play through the previous section again? Sure. But that's not the same as being emotionally invested in the character's well-being. Again, not a bad thing, IMO.

Agreed. I have no idea why some people are over-reacting this way towards this game.

Totally agree with all of you. The last bombcast confused me, because they seemed to contradict themselves numerous times in regards to their feelings on the direction of game-development. They felt insulted by the Tomb Raider comments, because the developer was allegedly tricking the player into feeling these terrible feelings of wanting to protect the character, yet they loved the idea of how some games guide the player in certain ways (I can't remember which game they were talking about for the latter part, sorry). I just don't see what's wrong with a developer having a goal of how the player will feel during their game. This is the point of almost every movie ever (e.g. comedies make the viewer laugh, dramas make the viewer invested, horrors scare the viewer, etc.) Sorry bombcast guys, but any game that was developed without this expectation for how the player will feel in mind, was probably a game who's story you either ignored or despised. Women are just naturally protectable as characters, as are children or men portrayed in a rather effeminate manner. An example would be a war movie with the cowardly guy who is afraid to kill, like a character in Saving Private Ryan. The viewer should want to protect that character because he's a good guy with a clear inability to defend himself in some way. It doesn't matter what gender the character is, until people react the way the guys did in the last bombcast. They criticize the medium for being immature in regards to things like booth babes or E3 crybabies, then go on to turn a legitimate development strategy into a childish "this game is gross because she's a woman and they're using that to make me feel!". That's called an artistic direction and the last bombcast really disappointed me...I expect better journalism from these guys.

Posted by CaLe

@corewalker said:

This fucking place has turned into a hate-fest since CBSi came on-board...seemingly at least.

Watch your fucking language.

Posted by corewalker

@CaLe said:

@corewalker said:

씨 발 씨 발 씨 발

Posted by Creamypies

Kinda disappointed over Jeffs reaction to the whole Tomb Raider thing. I thought he would be the one to say: "Ahh this has all been blown out of proportion, it's really no big deal". But no, he turned out to be the polar opposite.

Because let's be honest, this whole Tomb Raider thing HAS been blown way out of proportion. I honestly don't have any real issue with what the Crystal Dynamics guy said.

Posted by CaLe

@corewalker said:

@CaLe said:

@corewalker said:

씨 발 씨 발 씨 발

くたばれ。

Edited by corewalker

@CaLe said:

@corewalker said:

@CaLe said:

@corewalker said:

씨 발 씨 발 씨 발

くたばれ。

Ah, missed the reference the first time.

それが好きです

Posted by Sil3n7

@Creamypies said:

Kinda disappointed over Jeffs reaction to the whole Tomb Raider thing. I thought he would be the one to say: "Ahh this has all been blown out of proportion, it's really no big deal". But no, he turned out to be the polar opposite.

Because let's be honest, this whole Tomb Raider thing HAS been blown way out of proportion. I honestly don't have any real issue with what the Crystal Dynamics guy said.

I completely agree. I defiantly think that women deserve more respect in video games, but if anything Tomb Raider seems like a step forward with a new tougher (less oversexualised in my opinion) Laura.

Posted by CaLe

@corewalker said:

@CaLe said:

@corewalker said:

@CaLe said:

@corewalker said:

씨 발 씨 발 씨 발

くたばれ。

それが好きです

何が好き?くたくたになること?それとも、俺の言うことを全然わからない?

Posted by corewalker

@CaLe said:

@corewalker said:

@CaLe said:

@corewalker said:

@CaLe said:

@corewalker said:

씨 발 씨 발 씨 발

くたばれ。

それが好きです

何が好き?くたくたになること?それとも、俺の言うことを全然わからない?

I like the St. elmos fire reference. not sure why your saying "to be exhausted?", maybe babelfish is screwing up the translation.

: ]

Posted by Boopie

where is Vinny did he get shitcanned?

Posted by Zamir

@Boopie: no, he's been in in the few recent quick looks, and he's been off the bombcast recently cause he was editing e3 videos

Posted by chose
@Humanity said:

@chose said:

@Dylabaloo said:

[...]

[...]

And here we were thinking that Jeff was the one overreacting to the whole thing.. You sound pretty crazy man. Lara Croft is a woman and you will obviously always treat her differently than a Nathan Drake character - because she's a woman. When the day comes that we as a society will abandon gender differentiation and and all become a proverbial "it" then I suppose we can start working on games where a female character will be a mirror image of a male character. Until then I will happily relate accordingly when I'm playing a male or female lead.

People will treat children and adults differently, and for a reason, they have less understanding of the world, of themselves, less experience, and so on. Now, if I am attracted to a woman I will behave a certain way, but I don't see why I should or have to behave differently with two people I feel the same way about.  If I meet two strangers, one man, one woman, with whom I have the same affinity and emotional connection, they hit the same notes, what is it I should look for that calls for deceiving one of them? I ask you.

I will accept your premise that I am crazy. But first prove me that I am the dysfunctional one here. Explain why I am wrong to assume both gender are equal and able to handle the truth and reality of my self, my behavior. I personally think someone needs baggage to get where gender would dramatically shift your emotional response. Children will steer themselves that way, adults should know better. II am not implying men and women are the same, their perception and reaction to their environment isn't always the same, but "receiving something different" doesn't equate to "having to give something different", if you made this equation, you have been mislead. Don't be a tool.
Edited by CharAznable

Me want Bombcast.

Edit: According to Ryan's Twitter, it's gonna be a while. They're recording right now.

Posted by Paul_Tillich

Tomb Raider inflammatory comment, TOMB RAIDER!

Posted by corewalker

@Paul_Tillich said:

Really inconsequential retort. PERSONAL INSULT!

Posted by Paul_Tillich

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

You are just too much of an implied mental slur to understand implied philosophical point. TOMB RAIDER!

Posted by Turambar
@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

You are just too much of an implied mental slur to understand implied philosophical point. TOMB RAIDER!

What is this, Bash.org?
Posted by corewalker

@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

I may be a vaguely understood reference from the forums, but at least i'm not a misused attempt at an insult.

INSIDE JOKE NO ONE GETS!

Posted by Paul_Tillich

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

I may be a vaguely understood reference from the forums, but at least i'm not a misused attempt at an insult.

INSIDE JOKE NO ONE GETS!

Hey now. We agree. Actually disagreeing. Swearing. I am awesome!

Posted by corewalker

@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

INSIDE JOKE NO ONE GETS!

Back handed compliment, rant no one understands. equally narcissistic comment.

Posted by Aas

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

INSIDE JOKE NO ONE GETS!

Racial slur!

Posted by Red12b
@corewalker

@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

INSIDE JOKE NO ONE GETS!

I just want to be apart of the tree! Comment. . .
Posted by Sharpshooter

@Red12b said:

@corewalker

@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

INSIDE JOKE NO ONE GETS!

In all honesty these end up looking more like comment sink holes.

Posted by jdownes

@Red12b said:

@corewalker

@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

INSIDE JOKE NO ONE GETS!

I feel there was less tree cutting before CBSi.

Posted by Paul_Tillich

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

INSIDE JOKE NO ONE GETS!

Reason nobody should have come to this site. Vague comment about better things to do (I will interact with this site at least 50 times a week for the rest of my life).

Edited by Paul_Tillich

@Red12b said:

@corewalker

@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

INSIDE JOKE NO ONE GETS!

Stop commenting if you want to be "apart" from it. . .

Anger for not posting after I told you not to post.

Posted by corewalker

@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

@corewalker said:

@Paul_Tillich said:

INSIDE JOKE NO ONE GETS!

Reason nobody should have come to this site. Vague comment about better things to do (I will interact with this site at least 50 times a week for the rest of my life).

real concern over bombcast lateness. flippant attitude towards beloved website. similar comment of better things to do (back to spamming the wiki for quest xp).

Posted by cyraxible

I really hope I can get my Bombcast on before I have to go work at 10:30.

Posted by Wezmon

@cyraxible said:

I really hope I can get my Bombcast on before I have to go work at 10:30.

Must take you a really long time to get there too, being a sloth and all...