313 Comments
Posted by mrfluke

@Nottle said:

@Animasta said:

@Nottle said:

I thought this was funny, they talk about how people being turned off of Dust because of it's art style is dumb, but then they talked about writing off Darksiders because of the 90's bullshit spawn art.

this is a good point

Ohhh hypocrisy.

gotta say... it is a good point

Posted by mrfluke

@depecheload said:

@Smokey_Earhole said:

@depecheload

I for one don't want to play Dust because the art style looks like garbage. They can yiff away for all I care.

Do come out of the furry closet. It will be a great relief for you!

I have been to Anthrocon and danced with furries! Ha.

Hey, if you like the game that's great. I'm not judging anyone for digging it or the art style, I just really find it visually displeasing and don't want to play it. But furries are awesome, I got no problem with them at all.

also gotta go with this, they can yiff away all i care, im not playing dust either due to the art style,

that being said, more power to the people out there who dig this sort of style and stuff. good for you that you get something out of it.

Posted by MindOST

@mrfluke said:

@Nottle said:

@Animasta said:

@Nottle said:

I thought this was funny, they talk about how people being turned off of Dust because of it's art style is dumb, but then they talked about writing off Darksiders because of the 90's bullshit spawn art.

this is a good point

Ohhh hypocrisy.

No, their problem is with people who are hating on Dust because "Eww furries are gross, fuck those guys" NOT with people who simply dislike the art style.

Posted by OneManX

...the Patrick hate is kinda old at this point, it was kinda okay at the start, but it's been how many months? I highly doubt dude is gonna change who he is, just to appease other people.

Posted by ArbitraryWater

@LegendaryChopChop said:

If you guys don't like Patrick or how he is on the Bombcast, go take a listen to EIGHT-FOUR PLAY and realize how good we have it with the team all together.

I'd like to hear your beef with 8-4. Yeah, their group chemistry isn't nearly as perfect as the GB crew, but I'd call it an "entertaining" podcast, even when they're talking in exquisite detail about some game I couldn't care less about.

Also, eff the Patrick Haters. He's a bit enthusiastic at times, but I'm tired of people acting like he's some sort of horrible obnoxious radio poison. If you want that, listen to Tom McShea on Gamespot's podcast every week.

Posted by wjb

@Animasta said:

@Nottle said:

this is a good point

Haven't had a chance to listen to this week's episode, but wow. Kind of crazy they don't notice stuff like that within the same podcast. It reminds me of Brad and Patrick's writing-off FFXIII-2 for the very same reason earlier this year, even though it was a surprisingly decent game.

Posted by mutha3

Glad to hear Tricky Scoops back on the 5th podcast chair. The bombcast felt lacking without his monologues about the industry and fervent Jurassic Park fanboyism.

@depecheload said:

@Smokey_Earhole said:

@depecheload

I for one don't want to play Dust because the art style looks like garbage. They can yiff away for all I care.

Do come out of the furry closet. It will be a great relief for you!

I have been to Anthrocon and danced with furries! Ha.

Hey, if you like the game that's great. I'm not judging anyone for digging it or the art style, I just really find it visually displeasing and don't want to play it. But furries are awesome, I got no problem with them at all.

Yeah, I can deal with the furry stuff and I have nothing against people liking what they like. Hell, I'm looking forward to playing Dust 'cause I'm down for some metroidvania.

But man, it really just looks like shit, artistically. I'm not big on anthro art in general, but I can recognize good art when I see it -- Dust does not have good art. Whether its the bland character design, the line-art or the poorly done shading...it all just looks bad. The animation is good, but the art isn't.
Posted by david3cm

Is it me or does this cut out at the end?

Posted by atomic_dumpling

@OneManX said:

...the Patrick hate is kinda old at this point, it was kinda okay at the start, but it's been how many months? I highly doubt dude is gonna change who he is, just to appease other people.

Most of that whining seems to come from subscribers, interestingly. I thought it was a quality podcast as always and Patrick fits in very well. On the contrary, I am growing weary of the increasingly juvenile "witty banter" between the other guys. Pubic hair removal and STDs -- the fuck am I listening to?

Posted by nr404

What was the name of the iphone game they discussed? I can't find anything meaningful under "10 million"

Posted by MordeaniisChaos

I think part of the thing that puts people off of Dust is the characters do NOT look technically that great. They look like fanart. Look at games like Ōkami, they have animal characters talking, but the art style is consistently excellent. When I look at the character art in Dust, I just see shitty shading that every furry/anime fan art piece that doesn't have any sense of quality uses. If the characters were more consistent with the environments, which look great, and less like fan art, it'd come off a lot less as "a game for furries" and more as "a game with anthropomorphic characters."

I've seen a lot of really fuckin awesome furry art thanks to having a furry in my crowd of peers who posts cool stuff. Hell, I even almost commissioned a not-really-furry piece to go along with a new Gamertag (HavokTurtle), just because the guy was a genuinely fantastic artists.

Sure, there is a vocal minority who's going to just say "EW FURRIES" but that doesn't mean everyone who doesn't dig the aesthetic is that kind of asshole. Just like it's possible to find the idea of one's self being gay unappealing without giving a damn what anyone else is, or any other infinite variations that boils down to personal preference.

@FierceDeity: The ginger thing may have been popularized by South Park, but was around before it. It's also fucking annoying, as someone with a redheaded lady friend.

Posted by shadowdrone

I have to say, that they only thing I find somewhat annoying is that Patrick doesn't seem to know alot about computers, but other than that, he is totally fine and an awesome addition to the bombcrew. The rest of the guys, however proved their computer cred on this bombcast, and all of that talk (from Usenet to Emacs to mIRC to Windows 8 to mentions of Xserver and Ubuntu) was really entertaining to listen to. I did previously think that they were all using Macs for superfluous reasons, (It's a computer that's "easy" to use! And I'm a writer, why do I need to know any of this crap, etc...) but this bombcast specifically has shattered my preconceived notions. I freely admit I was in the wrong on that one. They probably have several legitimate reasons why they use macs in the office. (Not having to pay for them is probably a pretty big one)

Posted by Stonyman65

Is anyone else having trouble downloading that podcast off iTunes? For some reason it won't work for me for this episode.

Posted by SpunkyHePanda

@nr404 said:

What was the name of the iphone game they discussed? I can't find anything meaningful under "10 million"

It's called 10000000. I know, descriptive and easy to search for!

Posted by Vexxan

Return of the Kleptok!

Posted by Max_Cherry

It's good to have Patrick back.

Posted by Humanity

@MindOST said:

@mrfluke said:

@Nottle said:

@Animasta said:

@Nottle said:

this is a good point

Ohhh hypocrisy.

No, their problem is with people who are hating on Dust because "Eww furries are gross, fuck those guys" NOT with people who simply dislike the art style.

Well a lot of people simply dislike the art style. I don't give a shit that it's very furry inspired, which it is, just not as good as they say it is. Looks like a flash game.

Posted by zaglis
@OneManX said:

Just when you think he has calmed down he spits out something so annoying, childish and stupid you instantly get reminded why people don't like him in the first place.
Posted by mellotronrules

@zaglis said:

Just when you think he has calmed down he spits out something so annoying, childish and stupid you instantly get reminded why people don't like him in the first place.

who are we talking about again?

Edited by hollitz

Dude...Darksiders on Apocalyptic is not difficult. Like, at all. The shooting segments are rough due to poor design, but other than that, there's like 1 or 2 rough fight rooms and even those aren't hard as long as you have a few of those spells leveled and maybe a rage potion or two. Love the shit out of that game, but the story is pretty awful. And War is a terrible character, just a reskinned Kratos.

Posted by theedangle

New member, first Bombcast, loved it guys.

Posted by LobsterVendetta

Hearing Jeff talk about Fall of Cybertron makes me wish there was a G.I. Joe equivalent to it. Something that plays around with its own story a bit and bases its visuals closer to the older stuff. Maybe something similar to the Larry Hama comics, where they still kept the interesting designs but wasn't as "goofy" as the cartoon.

Playing War for Cybertron made me realize that I don't care about the Transformers, which made it really hard to enjoy a whole lot even though in some ways I like the way they went about it.

Edited by Arkasai

Funny to hear about everyone's time in Hawaii. I especially enjoyed the poi conversation, Brad is right on you're meant to dip very salty pulled pork (kalua pig) in the poi. It can be kind of sweet when it's fresh and gets sour over the next few days. I like it on its own and a few days old. Also yes people are all about the environment out here, I never thought it'd shock people though.

Edit: Leptospirosis is the bacterial infection they mention about the time Jeff brings up trends in pubic hair.

Posted by charlie_victor_bravo

If Brad compares artstyle of the Dust to the Robin Hood one more time, I am going to reach trough screen, take his reviewer badge, sell it and buy some eye glasses for him with that money.

And Brad, FYI: Star Fox, Robin Hood and older stuff like that look like furry stuff because that is where they got their influences. Also there is difference when you choose to make Robin Hood as an anthropomorphic fox because his character is smart like a fox, and making your character to have animal-like characteristics because you get a hard on from that - AND that shows in the end result.

Posted by Brosef

I think Patrick is the hardest working dude in the biz. He clearly deserves another vacation.

Posted by Razputin

Hell yeah, Patrick's back!

Posted by skunkdragon

@Stonyman65 said:

Is anyone else having trouble downloading that podcast off iTunes? For some reason it won't work for me for this episode.

me to only way i listen please sort it guys

Posted by bunkerbuster05

@Razputin said:

Hell yeah, Patrick's back!

Posted by simian

I played the original Darksiders on Apocalyptic during a dark period in my life when I lusted after achievements and while it took a little longer it wasn't that difficult. The only thing it hampered was my desire to S-Rank it. Also that 'guy' that Vinny mentioned I was able to beat after a couple tries with the default weapon. Now that was a pain in the ass.

Posted by Legendary
Posted by MattClassic

Desura is 3/5 the service that Steam is

Goddamn I really love you guys sometimes

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@FierceDeity: The ginger thing may have been popularized by South Park, but was around before it. It's also fucking annoying, as someone with a redheaded lady friend.

As a redhead I can confirm this. My childhood and adolescence were not very pleasant, and that was like 20 years ago. To this day I constantly expect vile remarks when moving through groups of layabouts and that'll probably never change.
Edited by Yummylee

Darksiders on Apocalyptic difficulty is pretty easy, and that's not me just trying to spit shine my own ego as I think a lot of people here would agree to its relative ease. With my first playthrough I started it straight from Apocalyptic and didn't have too many issues; the dungeon were you gotta solve all of those portal puzzles was kinda dicey, but otherwise I honestly think for being the highest difficulty available, it was a bit on the easy side.

I'm playing Darksiders II on Apocalyptic as well, and while it's a healthier challenge than the original, the same relative ease has evidently carried through from the first Darksiders.

EDIT: Just a bit of advice for Darksiders: Invest towards the Scythe and its upgrades! That thing is an absolute beast and is incredibly reliable for dealing with crowds. Also dodge a lot... like, a lot, and time it with the sword lunge attack while you're at it. Don't rely on blocking too much because from my experience blocking can be a little unresponsive at times.

Posted by MordeaniisChaos

@atomic_dumpling: I can't tell you how many idiot friends my lady has that constantly go there, for no reason! At this point, it's just a stupid joke, but one that comes up obnoxiously often. I DON'T EVEN GET IT. At least with homophobia, there's a cause behind it, if a pathetic one. With the ginger thing though, I honestly have no idea what the hell the color of someone's hair has to do with ANYTHING. Other than makin' em super gorgeouser, like I've been instructed to say- I mean feel- I mean what?

Posted by Skanker

@atomic_dumpling: Sounds like the bombcast to me

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@atomic_dumpling: I can't tell you how many idiot friends my lady has that constantly go there, for no reason! At this point, it's just a stupid joke, but one that comes up obnoxiously often. I DON'T EVEN GET IT. At least with homophobia, there's a cause behind it, if a pathetic one. With the ginger thing though, I honestly have no idea what the hell the color of someone's hair has to do with ANYTHING. Other than makin' em super gorgeouser, like I've been instructed to say- I mean feel- I mean what?

I wonder if this is the same in every country. For instance, we had a children TV show about a redhaired obnoxious jackass troll which made things way worse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumuckl -- naturally it has been used as a derogatory nickname. As for the "why", I suspect it has something to do with the red haired witch BS from the middle ages. What else could it be?
Posted by Kartana

Oh god. Klepek is back :(

Posted by DoomHK

@MordeaniisChaos said:

I know right? Red hair is awesome! I never understood why people mock those with it.

Posted by Foxtrot0245

Patrick is back, yippee... Eh, all we can hope is that his migratory employment status over the past few years continues. Don't stop the job train now Patrick, we believe in you!

Posted by ripelivejam

@Kartana said:

Oh god, Klepek is back!!! :) :) :)
Edited by shodan2020

With all the BBS talk you guys do, you should start up one. It would be great. I'd totally dial in to play Legend of the Red Dragon and Usurper. Also, welcome back Patrick! I'm glad you're back, I've missed you man! :)

Posted by TheHT
Edited by AssInAss

@MordeaniisChaos said:

I think part of the thing that puts people off of Dust is the characters do NOT look technically that great. They look like fanart. Look at games like Ōkami, they have animal characters talking, but the art style is consistently excellent. When I look at the character art in Dust, I just see shitty shading that every furry/anime fan art piece that doesn't have any sense of quality uses. If the characters were more consistent with the environments, which look great, and less like fan art, it'd come off a lot less as "a game for furries" and more as "a game with anthropomorphic characters."

I've seen a lot of really fuckin awesome furry art thanks to having a furry in my crowd of peers who posts cool stuff. Hell, I even almost commissioned a not-really-furry piece to go along with a new Gamertag (HavokTurtle), just because the guy was a genuinely fantastic artists.

Sure, there is a vocal minority who's going to just say "EW FURRIES" but that doesn't mean everyone who doesn't dig the aesthetic is that kind of asshole. Just like it's possible to find the idea of one's self being gay unappealing without giving a damn what anyone else is, or any other infinite variations that boils down to personal preference.

It's all made by one guy, seems a bit harsh that he's doing all the programming, design, animations, backgrounds to just single out the not-as-refined character art.

Posted by Pop

Ryan has a foot digger.

Posted by Nottle

@MindOST said:

@mrfluke said:

@Nottle said:

@Animasta said:

@Nottle said:

this is a good point

Ohhh hypocrisy.

This is true, But then again, they seemed creeped out with something like the quick look of Deathsmiles which has a stereotypical lolicon art style. Because "eww loli's are gross." Granted Dust is probably a much more competent game. At first Dust's art style didn't do it for me because Fidget looked like a neopet (really that was the only think I didn't care for), but now I'm warming up to her.

It's just a broken Aesop. If I'm supposed to not judge a game based of an aesthetic and some sort of hatred that came from group mentality, than why does Jeff wright off The Walking Dead because it has zombies? Why is Nomura's art subject of ridicule?

Posted by Fattony12000

That was me! Loved the BBS talk this week too!

Edited by Humanity

@Nottle said:

@MindOST said:

@mrfluke said:

@Nottle said:

@Animasta said:

@Nottle said:

this is a good point

Ohhh hypocrisy.

This is true, But then again, they seemed creeped out with something like the quick look of Deathsmiles which has a stereotypical lolicon art style. Because "eww loli's are gross." Granted Dust is probably a much more competent game. At first Dust's art style didn't do it for me because Fidget looked like a neopet (really that was the only think I didn't care for), but now I'm warming up to her.

It's just a broken Aesop. If I'm supposed to not judge a game based of an aesthetic and some sort of hatred that came from group mentality, than why does Jeff wright off The Walking Dead because it has zombies? Why is Nomura's art subject of ridicule?

As much as I love the Bombcast and the crew, what I take issue with is sometimes this overwhelming feeling that if you don't agree with the guys then your opinion is obviously wrong. Brad saying that you should "check your life priorities" if you don't want to play Dust because you consider it furry art rubs me the wrong way and is super condescending. They themselves don't like some games based on really petty reasons at times. I mean check my life priorities? C'mon Brad, I don't like the art style of the game and I think it's pretty boring, am I an idiot because of this opinion? Should I check my priorities because they aren't in line with the Giant Bomb staff? As I said I love the site and the guys are great, but this sensibility of "well this game is great and if someone doesn't like it then fuck those guys" is a bit much. I was waiting for at least one person to say "well maybe some people don't enjoy that art style so I understand they wouldn't want to play it" but they all just railed on people who were grouped together as "furry haters." I'm not even a furry hating individual, I don't like the art but if thats what you're into I guess it's better than pedphile, anime, underage, rape porn art where 7 year olds are depicted getting violently assaulted in sexual ways with blood etc. I guess thats my mini rant about that.

Edited by Antihippy

@Nottle said:

@MindOST said:

@mrfluke said:

@Nottle said:

@Animasta said:

@Nottle said:

this is a good point

Ohhh hypocrisy.

There's a very good reason why people would be put off more by lolicon than anthromorphic animals.

Posted by YoThatLimp

The last 5 or 6 bombcasts have been great. Actually listening to this one again a second time while playing some CS:GO this morning. Good stuff, guys!

Posted by simkas

@Humanity: That's not what he's saying. He's not talking about others not liking the game or not liking the art, he's talking about the people who just say "it's like furries so it sucks" and that kind of mentality is indeed fucking stupid.