313 Comments
Edited by MasterRain

@ProfessorEss said:

@Humanity said:

As much as I love the Bombcast and the crew, what I take issue with is sometimes this overwhelming feeling that if you don't agree with the guys then your opinion is obviously wrong.

Yeah I find that frustrating at times too. Everyone who agrees with them is a smart, level-headed, productive member of society who thinks long and deep before offering up their balanced and open-minded opinion. Anyone who disagrees is generic, reactionary, internet scum. The funny thing is, the binary single-mindedness and aggression with which they often make these sorts of statements usually sounds (to me) just like the angry, knee-jerking that they are condemning.

You're describing Americans not exclusively the Bombcast :P

Posted by Winsord

I'd say VI is probably the defacto. I mean, you install CentOS now and VI will be the default, and that's pretty much the standard. The other editors like Emacs are totally still there and easy to change to the default though, and you could probably even set them in the OS installations, when you're setting your packages.

Posted by bkbroiler

Jeff is so right about 10000000. Can't stop playing.

Posted by shadowdrone

@jakkblades said:

@patrickklepek said:

@jakkblades said:

@shadowdrone said:

I have to say, that they only thing I find somewhat annoying is that Patrick doesn't seem to know alot about computers, but other than that, he is totally fine and an awesome addition to the bombcrew. The rest of the guys, however proved their computer cred on this bombcast, and all of that talk (from Usenet to Emacs to mIRC to Windows 8 to mentions of Xserver and Ubuntu) was really entertaining to listen to. I did previously think that they were all using Macs for superfluous reasons, (It's a computer that's "easy" to use! And I'm a writer, why do I need to know any of this crap, etc...) but this bombcast specifically has shattered my preconceived notions. I freely admit I was in the wrong on that one. They probably have several legitimate reasons why they use macs in the office. (Not having to pay for them is probably a pretty big one)

Why do you have to say?

Dawg, I was born in 1985.

Defending yourself against personal attacks defends their saying it.

If you want to call what I said personal attacks then I don't know what to tell you bro. I happen to respect Patrick a great deal for what he does in his job (what he brings to all of us) and I was actually trying to more stick up for him then anything. I'm sorry I pointed out a personal pet-peeve that I have with people, if you find it completely unreasonable, please post why. I don't want to seem like I'm being unreasonable here.

Edited by ThePickle

@MasterRain said:

@ProfessorEss said:

@Humanity said:

As much as I love the Bombcast and the crew, what I take issue with is sometimes this overwhelming feeling that if you don't agree with the guys then your opinion is obviously wrong.

Yeah I find that frustrating at times too. Everyone who agrees with them is a smart, level-headed, productive member of society who thinks long and deep before offering up their balanced and open-minded opinion. Anyone who disagrees is generic, reactionary, internet scum. The funny thing is, the binary single-mindedness and aggression with which they often make these sorts of statements usually sounds (to me) just like the angry, knee-jerking that they are condemning.

You can't put over 300 million people under the same umbrella :p

Posted by smcn

That big guy in DS2 Vinny was talking about bugged out for me, I summoned zombies and they started attacking one of the target dummies, then the dude started attacking the target dummy, then he randomly decided I defeated him.

Posted by Zacagawea

Good lord, that fucking Dust discussion

Posted by simonwillems

Anthropomorphic characters aren't why the furry community gets flak, it's the OVERT SEXUALIZATION of said anthropomorphic characters that people find so gross. Fucking animal or animal-like people (i.e. yiffing) is a pretty easy line to draw in the sand for most folk - just like how people get creeped out and appalled by the overt sexualization of children in those "Toddlers and Tiaras" type shows.

Not saying Dust, the game itself, does that explicitly but it's not exactly hard to find artwork done by its creator which bears nude and/or near-nude, sexualized anthropomorphic characters. It's not like the connection between the game and the furry subculture is entirely fabricated.

Dismissing the whole thing as a contrived controversy strikes me as pretty head-in-the-sand or at least intellectually lazy. The issue really isn't all that opaque. The Starfox and Disney comparisons are total straw-men arguments for the very fact that they leave out the sexual nature of the furry culture.

Posted by StalkingTurnip

@MasterRain said:

@ProfessorEss said:

@Humanity said:

I really hope you know just made a snarky generalization about snarky generalizations and that was on purpose

Edited by FakeKisser

@shadowdrone: Respectfully (only because you asked)...I think the reason it seems like a personal attack is that you are pointing out something that really has nothing to do with Patrick doing his job well. He doesn't need to know a lot about computers...especially all the stuff discussed in the podcast. I knew a lot of that stuff, but I would have to look up most of it again, if I ever wanted to use it, because it's been almost two decades since I did. Your comment on Patrick's computer knowledge doesn't have any function other than being negative about his personal skills, i.e. it's not even critiquing something that is part of his job. I'm not saying you were "trashing" or being hateful. It's just that you could have easily just said something like this:

The crew proved their computer cred on this bombcast, and all of that talk (from Usenet to Emacs to mIRC to Windows 8 to mentions of Xserver and Ubuntu) was really entertaining to listen to. I did previously think that they were all using Macs for superfluous reasons, (It's a computer that's "easy" to use! And I'm a writer, why do I need to know any of this crap, etc...) but this bombcast specifically has shattered my preconceived notions. I freely admit I was in the wrong on that one. They probably have several legitimate reasons why they use macs in the office. (Not having to pay for them is probably a pretty big one)

Or if it really bothers you to think someone would think you are referencing Patrick in your comment...you could say "Ryan, Jeff, Vinny, and Brad," though I personally think that's even unnecessary.

Posted by Bourbon_Warrior

@OneManX said:

...the Patrick hate is kinda old at this point, it was kinda okay at the start, but it's been how many months? I highly doubt dude is gonna change who he is, just to appease other people.

Its been over a year. It's really old, the people hating on him are probably just jealous that he has the job they want or they are legitimate douchbags that wouldn't say that stuff in real life.

Posted by MeatSim

The Bobmcast this week smells like pepper. Also welcome back Patrick.

Edited by Potter9156

Misogyny and homophobia is the same thing as harboring a mislike for people that get off to drawings of cutesy animals fucking.

Huh.

Also, it's nice having Patrick back.

Posted by BeardSurgeon

Fuck Undernet.

Posted by Scrawnto

@Potter9156 said:

Misogyny and homophobia is the same thing as harboring a mislike for people that get off to drawings of cutesy animals fucking.

Huh.

The idea is that all of those boil down to a need some people feel for an "other" to band together against.

Posted by jakkblades

@shadowdrone said:

@jakkblades said:

@patrickklepek said:

@jakkblades said:

@shadowdrone said:

I have to say, that they only thing I find somewhat annoying is that Patrick doesn't seem to know alot about computers, but other than that, he is totally fine and an awesome addition to the bombcrew. The rest of the guys, however proved their computer cred on this bombcast, and all of that talk (from Usenet to Emacs to mIRC to Windows 8 to mentions of Xserver and Ubuntu) was really entertaining to listen to. I did previously think that they were all using Macs for superfluous reasons, (It's a computer that's "easy" to use! And I'm a writer, why do I need to know any of this crap, etc...) but this bombcast specifically has shattered my preconceived notions. I freely admit I was in the wrong on that one. They probably have several legitimate reasons why they use macs in the office. (Not having to pay for them is probably a pretty big one)

Why do you have to say?

Dawg, I was born in 1985.

Defending yourself against personal attacks defends their saying it.

If you want to call what I said personal attacks then I don't know what to tell you bro. I happen to respect Patrick a great deal for what he does in his job (what he brings to all of us) and I was actually trying to more stick up for him then anything. I'm sorry I pointed out a personal pet-peeve that I have with people, if you find it completely unreasonable, please post why. I don't want to seem like I'm being unreasonable here.

I suppose I take the word "annoying" a bit more seriously than you do. No harm intended. On Patrick's first bombcast being back, I was "annoyed" to see him already under criticism for something small.

Posted by Chiyou_2

I find it funny that these guys (of which i love to listen from week to week) are talking about fashion... while they always look like they just rolled out of bed... instead of videogames which is what they're qualified to talk about and the podcast is supposedly about...

Edited by Antihippy

@Potter9156: It kind of is in a way.

Why dislike/hate a group because of their harmless sexual orientation?

Edited by Shaanyboi

As someone who went to school for years for art/design specifically for animation/games, I would say that Dust straight-up looks BAD. The backgrounds are MOSTLY pretty fucking ugly, with no consistent source of light, no principles of depth or perspective, and some bad colour use. The character designs (furries aside) look like bad deviantart. But the ANIMATION is fucking incredible. Seeing the way Dust moves is just so silky smooth and awesome. But it doesn't make the actual art style not total fucking shit.

Posted by asmo29a

Dust looks great, technically, and I don't care whether it's talking robots or animals or bacteria or people. What puts me off is that it looks and sounds like something made for 6 to 10 year olds, which I am having a hard time reconciling with the actual content of the game.

Posted by bonkers

GUYS, HE'S TOTALLY A FURRY.

JUST LOOK AT DEM NIPS.

@mrfluke said:

@Nottle said:

@Animasta said:

@Nottle said:

I thought this was funny, they talk about how people being turned off of Dust because of it's art style is dumb, but then they talked about writing off Darksiders because of the 90's bullshit spawn art.

this is a good point

Ohhh hypocrisy.

gotta say... it is a good point

You all clearly missed the point they were making regarding Dust.

Posted by Godlyawesomeguy

I wish somebody could teach me about what the eighties were like. And the fifties. And the nineties. Anything before two-thousands, please.

Posted by Capn_Crisp

FYI: Hasbro owns Go-bots because they bought Tonka, the US distributor of those toys. But Tonka licensed molds from Bandai's Japanese toyline, 'Machine Robo' to make the Go-Bots. So, since Hasbro doesn't also own Bandai, and for some reason doesn't want to license out Machine Robo from them, Hasbro has to settle for only using the US changes to the toys, like names, fiction, etc, but not the designs, molds or likenesses.

Posted by MrKlorox
@Scrawnto said:

@Potter9156 said:

Huh.

The idea is that all of those boil down to a need some people feel for an "other" to band together against.

That point of view just looks like people trying to ignore the points of the other side and construct a strawman over bandwagoning. It's a total cop out and is just as bad as people implying that furries are sexual deviants.
Edited by Nottle

@bonkers: I got their point.

Posted by shadowdrone

@FakeKisser: The only reason I mentioned patrick was that I was seeing some of the earlier hate and I wanted to offset it abit (which was what the "he's fine!" comment was suppose to convey) although I guess i undermined myself by inserting any sort of dig in there, no matter how small. I was trying to integrate it with the rest of my post which was meant as praise to the rest of the bombcrew for an entertaining segment about something other than video games, that they clearly still knew what they were talking about. I should have rethought the way I worded the entire post or maybe I should have rethought it I don't know. I (unintentionally) added to the hate, and obviously @jakkblades was there to call me out on it. I'm also sorry if I offended you in any way

Posted by Potter9156

@Scrawnto:

Everyone has a dislike for some group of people somewhere for some reason.

Posted by MasterRain

@StalkingTurnip said:

@MasterRain said:

@ProfessorEss said:

@Humanity said:

I really hope you know just made a snarky generalization about snarky generalizations and that was on purpose

Haha I was only kinda joking, and I guess It could be applied to most people but its just the way America is presented to the rest of the world.

Posted by Spitznock

I agree on the overall quality of Dust, but I have to disagree with all of the praise for the voice acting. I'm finding myself reading through the dialogue and thumbing the A button as fast as I can to avoid the excruciating delivery. Dust himself is especially bad. It's clear that the voice actors are amateurs, and that's perfectly fine. Given the games indie upbringing, there's nothing at all wrong with that. But after a few hours in I was wishing there were an option to disable voice-over.

There are several good performances (Fidget the most notable), but overall I found the voice acting to be one of the only problems with this game.

Different people view and consume things differently from one another I guess.

Posted by FugitiveJ

To answer the Torchlight 2 question, it should be finished in a few more weeks. There is a blog on the Runic forums where they have been describing their recent progress and it sounds like they've been working on their final polishing pass. http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=32080

Posted by Shaanyboi

@bonkers said:

GUYS, HE'S TOTALLY A FURRY.

JUST LOOK AT DEM NIPS.

Well Schumacher did say he wanted to explore the fetishistic side of Batman.... So... Yeah, maybe.

Posted by Carousel

The creator said Dust wasn't made for "straight white guys" ?

How bold. How daring. How cutting edge.

Posted by takkun169

@deerokus: I don't think you understand what the "uncanny valley" actually is. When computer generated images depicting people, gets closer and closer to photo realism, small things that don't look right make the image look unnatural and sometimes disturbing.

Dust has a cartoony art style so the uncanny valley does not apply.

Edited by Cloudenvy

@MordeaniisChaos said:

I think part of the thing that puts people off of Dust is the characters do NOT look technically that great. They look like fanart. Look at games like Ōkami, they have animal characters talking, but the art style is consistently excellent. When I look at the character art in Dust, I just see shitty shading that every furry/anime fan art piece that doesn't have any sense of quality uses. If the characters were more consistent with the environments, which look great, and less like fan art, it'd come off a lot less as "a game for furries" and more as "a game with anthropomorphic characters."

I've seen a lot of really fuckin awesome furry art thanks to having a furry in my crowd of peers who posts cool stuff. Hell, I even almost commissioned a not-really-furry piece to go along with a new Gamertag (HavokTurtle), just because the guy was a genuinely fantastic artists.

Sure, there is a vocal minority who's going to just say "EW FURRIES" but that doesn't mean everyone who doesn't dig the aesthetic is that kind of asshole. Just like it's possible to find the idea of one's self being gay unappealing without giving a damn what anyone else is, or any other infinite variations that boils down to personal preference.

Yupp. I have zero problems with anthro characters but I still think the character design itself is some of the absolute worst and that puts me off enough to not want to play it. It's disappointing to hear that they basically just write it off as "check your life priorities if you don't want to play it because of how it looks" but whatever, maybe I just say that because I'm one of those people who simply don't want to play it because I find the art distractingly bad!

Looking forward to listening to it myself regardless.

Posted by takkun169

@zaglis: "Once you think he's calmed down..."

What the fuck are you talking about?

Posted by shadow961

@ProfessorEss said:

@Humanity said:

I agree. How do you fight hyperbole? Clearly with just as much baseless hyperbole. Its pretty funny especially when you remember Brad's own comments at the end of the TERA quick look.

Posted by Peanut

I sighed out loud as soon as I heard Patrick.

Posted by Potter9156

@CaptStickybeard said:

The creator said Dust wasn't made for "straight white guys" ?

How bold. How daring. How cutting edge.

And who's playing the game? Straight white guys, of course.

The entire Dust segment was a farce.

Posted by david3cm

@Peanut: go fuck thy self

Posted by Humanity

@shadow961 said:

@ProfessorEss said:

@Humanity said:

I agree. How do you fight hyperbole? Clearly with just as much baseless hyperbole. Its pretty funny especially when you remember Brad's own comments at the end of the TERA quick look.

I completely forgot how Tera really made them uncomfortable because a part of the community was acting perverted about one of the races. Well Tera wasn't a good game, and Dust IS, so there.

Posted by tallTuck94

First Annual Giantbomb Olympiad makes no bloody sense... I LOVE IT!

Posted by Fistfulofmetal

RE: default image viewer:

http://www.irfanview.com/

GOAT image viewer.

Edited by heatDrive88

Bombcast got me all nostalgic on old-assed applications that were essential to using a PC in like 1995-2003.

Lollin' at DALnet. Admittedly however, I was a frequent user of EFNet for IRC'ing.

I actually still have an install of Winamp. I use it for a batch production to write .WAV files from FLAC (or just about any other sound file format I guess), so they can prepared for re-encoding by EAC for -v0/v2 LAME encoding into MP3. It really whips the llama's ass.

Oh, and stop lying to yourselves. Everyone used ACDSee Picture Viewer because it was the only software at the time that had a decent slideshow mode and control for viewing JPG's of porn.

Posted by takkun169

@Madara117: Dude. What did you do to piss off the furries?

But in any case, what do furries trolling you have to do with Dust? One has nothing to do with the other and the only link between the two is coincidental at best. This is what Brad means when he says you may need to get your priorities straight. If you were traumatized so badly by the furries that you can't play a game that has absolutely nothing to do with them, then maybe you should seek help for PTSD or some shit.

Posted by MooseyMcMan

Did I hear an Amour Hot Dogs reference from Ryan?

Posted by Tarsier

the hypocrisy of this podcast is astounding , when they get into the furry stuff . they like a game and they are dis crediting anyone who doesnt like it because of its art style . there are certain art styles that give off bad vibes. i dont want to think about furries and shitty internet culture when i am playing a video game. thats the vibe it gives off, and thats why i am never going to play the game. how great it is doesnt detract from that reality. stop acting like anyone who doesnt want to play the game because of the art style is some kind of wretched internet troll. this opinion and stance is completely legitimate. also, how many times have you guys judged a game based on its art style and then decided not to play it?

if this game doesnt sell because it features furries, that is unfortunate, especially if it hurts the well being of the guy who made it and clearly put a ton of work into it. however he should have thought about it before hand, because its obviously very important, and people cant just ignore such a huge aspect of the game. have a nice day

Posted by Godlyawesomeguy

@Peanut said:

By posting this, what do you intend to accomplish? He's not going anywhere and it's not like your comment will make any bit of a difference.

Posted by Undeadpool

@Cloudenvy said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

I think part of the thing that puts people off of Dust is the characters do NOT look technically that great. They look like fanart. Look at games like Ōkami, they have animal characters talking, but the art style is consistently excellent. When I look at the character art in Dust, I just see shitty shading that every furry/anime fan art piece that doesn't have any sense of quality uses. If the characters were more consistent with the environments, which look great, and less like fan art, it'd come off a lot less as "a game for furries" and more as "a game with anthropomorphic characters."

I've seen a lot of really fuckin awesome furry art thanks to having a furry in my crowd of peers who posts cool stuff. Hell, I even almost commissioned a not-really-furry piece to go along with a new Gamertag (HavokTurtle), just because the guy was a genuinely fantastic artists.

Sure, there is a vocal minority who's going to just say "EW FURRIES" but that doesn't mean everyone who doesn't dig the aesthetic is that kind of asshole. Just like it's possible to find the idea of one's self being gay unappealing without giving a damn what anyone else is, or any other infinite variations that boils down to personal preference.

Yupp. I have zero problems with anthro characters but I still think the character design itself is some of the absolute worst and that puts me off enough to not want to play it. It's disappointing to hear that they basically just write it off as "check your life priorities if you don't want to play it because of how it looks" but whatever, maybe I just say that because I'm one of those people who simply don't want to play it because I find the art distractingly bad!

Looking forward to listening to it myself regardless.

That's REALLY not what they're saying...they're saying that if you're not going to play this game because you think it's furry porn (or that, GASP, OTHERS might think you're into furry porn if they somehow see you playing it), then you should reevaluate your priorities.

Considering all the people who are afraid of things like the Wii or the Kinect because "I'll look stupid" even if they're alone, and how apparently CRITICAL it is to appear detached, jaded, and cool on the internet, I think it's a valid concern. If you look at a LOT of comments in the Quick Look, it's not people saying "I don't like the art style" (with some exceptions), it's people saying "I'm not into this furry bullshit."

Posted by Peanut
@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@Peanut said:

By posting this, what do you intend to accomplish? He's not going anywhere and it's not like your comment will make any bit of a difference.

Don't give a fuuuuuuuck. What's the purpose in posting any opinion on anything ever? There fucking is none.
Posted by charlietango