371 Comments
Posted by TheHT

You know what, their alternate endings for ME3 are better. Either ending it beside Anderson or having the game choose an ending based on your choices.

Posted by Kinggi

I appreciate the heads up to skip to the 1 hour mark. I enjoy listening to the bombcast, but spoilers suck. We as gamers dont have the oodles of time game journalist folk like yourselves have to devote your lives to games. We have backlogs for even the most major releases! I come for the news and general impressions/hijinks.

Posted by ripelivejam

@WiqidBritt said:

"Bianary Domain... better than Mass Effect"

-Patrick Klepek

yes that is definitely the opinion of a person

Posted by RedCream

Please do a spoilercast of The Walking Dead

Posted by mjlaw13

So maybe this has already been discussed in other forums, but regarding Brad's "Mass Effect" playthrough - if the mass relays had been destroyed, could some new games or DLC have been made to handle ALL the aliens now stuck in Earth's solar system? Do the Krogan, Turians, Quarians, Geth et al then get stuck on Earth as the only nearby habitable planet? Do the alien races play "Lost in Soace" and make a new spinoff of flying home? Do the Krogan totally screw up Earth with the genophage cured and having them spread without the space of the relays? The point: I agree that "Mass Effect 3" blew it. Bummer - I loved the series.

Posted by dr_mantas

@mjlaw13: You haven't seen the Extended Cut endings. I had this problem with the ending as well, and they change it in the Extended Cut.

Posted by WiqidBritt

@Vigil80 said:

Because Asari genetic code rearranged using other Asari genetic code is believed to be inferior? Like inbreeding?

That would further point to their lack of genetic diversity, seems to me. For you to be considered inbred, your parents merely have to be the same species, not just the same family tree.

I suppose that makes sense, as much as sci-fi nonsense makes sense.

I still don't like the idea that humanity is magically the chosen race that would save the galaxy in a noble sacrifice. That ending also puts a hard end to any potential sequel ideas as Bioware have stated that for the purposes of their storytelling they always want you to play as a human (they said this before The Old Republic came out). So unless they change their minds and let you play a big story as an alien there would have been nothing they could do after that.

Posted by Rapid

I guess there is no way to know, but am curious if the stuff with Leviathan was already in the Mass Effect Lore (in respect to the writers) before they finished writing ME3 or was it conceived after ME3 was finished?

Posted by mrfluke

vinny is the best, (gonna stay spoiler free)

THEY TOTALLY SHOULD HAVE ENDED IT RIGHT THERE BEFORE "THE EVENT WITH THE CATALYST ENTITY" THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN PERFECT

god, fuck you EA

Posted by PattyCakes

Holy crap, when you guys said 1 hour of Mass Effect 3 talk, I didn't know you meant 1:00:00 of Mass Effect 3 talk.

Posted by I_smell

They hate the indoctrination theory stuff, but whatever I love all that.

It's not canon, and I don't think the Bioware writers planned it out or anything, it's definately a fan-made conspiracy theory-... but it's so cool! That's part of it for me, I think it adds a really fun new angle.

Posted by Turambar

I would like to watch Patrick stream a Dark Souls playthrough.

Posted by danieljd

I really enjoyed the ME3 talk, and I would love to hear spoiler-heavy talk from the guys more often.

Edited by pyromagnestir

Oh man, I totally didn't know about that menu option in Binary Domain to switch the screen prompts from keyboard to buttons. Thanks guys!

Also my feelings about Binary Domain seem to mirror Brad and Jeff's. I got sick of the bullet spongy enemies and the inaccurate main weapon and decided to take a break about halfway through.

edit: But that game is not 6 hours long max you crazy Patrick!

Edited by sephirm87

@Vigil80 said:

@WiqidBritt:

Brad's complaint about always picking the top right dialogue option is kind of silly, there's nothing that's keeping him from picking a different option, it's Brad's fault if his Shepard turns out to be a boring boyscout.

Except for the fact that there are future choices gated behind how full your paragon/renegade meter is.

The idea that humans are the most 'genetically diverse' race in the galaxy doesn't hold water when the Asari can mate with literally any other sentient species in the galaxy.

The Asari may actually be the least genetically diverse if you pay attention to the codex. They aren't combining their DNA with that of other races. They are using the mate's genetic information to rearrange that of the child's, like a seed for a random number generator.

It doesn't matter what they mate with; the outcome is always full-blooded Asari.

It is called Parthenogenesis. The largest species on earth that can currently reproduce by Parthenogenesis (producing an offspring that is an exact (barring random genetic mutations, of course) genetic replica of its parents) is the Komodo Dragon.

Posted by Animasta

@pyromagnestir said:

Oh man, I totally didn't know about that menu option in Binary Domain to switch the screen prompts from keyboard to buttons. Thanks guys!

Also my feelings about Binary Domain seem to mirror Brad and Jeff's. I got sick of the bullet spongy enemies and the inaccurate main weapon and decided to take a break about halfway through.

edit: But that game is not 6 hours long max you crazy Patrick!

it's close. I'm pretty sure it took me 7.

Also Patrick is so right, the weapon gets way better to the point where you are killing dudes in a second or two and everyone's happy and going "WOO YOU KILLED THAT GUY"

Posted by Vigil80

@WiqidBritt said:

@Vigil80 said:

Because Asari genetic code rearranged using other Asari genetic code is believed to be inferior? Like inbreeding?

That would further point to their lack of genetic diversity, seems to me. For you to be considered inbred, your parents merely have to be the same species, not just the same family tree.

I suppose that makes sense, as much as sci-fi nonsense makes sense.

I still don't like the idea that humanity is magically the chosen race that would save the galaxy in a noble sacrifice. That ending also puts a hard end to any potential sequel ideas as Bioware have stated that for the purposes of their storytelling they always want you to play as a human (they said this before The Old Republic came out). So unless they change their minds and let you play a big story as an alien there would have been nothing they could do after that.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think the ending - along with a couple other things - of ME3 blows. And the choices they made, including humanity's role, definitely painted them into a crappy corner.

I was just relishing some ME universe discussion. :)

Posted by ZeroV2

Really now bombcast, if you must spoil ME3 just do a ME3cast where that's all you talk about. I have to skip around and hope that I land on a part that doesn't totally ruin the story of a game with an extreme emphasis on story? Thanks

Posted by Hailinel

@I_smell said:

They hate the indoctrination theory stuff, but whatever I love all that. It's not canon, and I don't think the Bioware writers planned it out or anything, it's definately a fan-made conspiracy theory-... but it's so cool! That's part of it for me, I think it adds a really fun new angle.

But at this point, it's just pointless to uphold because it's not what happened. The fact that some people are still latched onto it and are convinced of its veracity is the stuff that tinfoil hats are made of.

I'm just glad that, for once, the staff had a discussion on the ending that didn't at some point just blame "the fans and their insistence on a happy ending with reaper ice cream."

Posted by csl316
@ZeroV2 said:

Really now bombcast, if you must spoil ME3 just do a ME3cast where that's all you talk about. I have to skip around and hope that I land on a part that doesn't totally ruin the story of a game with an extreme emphasis on story? Thanks

Go to exactly 60 minutes in to bypass it.
Edited by pyromagnestir

@Animasta: Well I've been upgrading that gun as much as possible and it still wasn't at a point where I felt like it was good enough.

And I'm at the train part and I'm exactly 5 hours in. Of course, thinking back, maybe about a half hour to 45 minutes of that was me futzing with the menus trying to figure out where I needed to go to turn of the voice support, or turn on controller support and stuff like that, and some of it was me replaying I when I failed an objective or searching around for collectibles and junk, and a decent chunk of time was me not able to figure out where those air generators were in that one room they lock you in, so I guess you could be right.

edit: Oh and there was also that one time when I couldn't figure out the right button because of the keyboard prompt on my screen. That also ate up some time. Yay for never having to worry about that again!

Posted by Roboculus92

You don't wanna go on the eshop after 11...."shutters"

Posted by Vigil80

Ok, folks, the ME3 discussion is an hour. One hour. The first hour. It's in the podcast description, and it's been plastered all over the comments.

Also, there are spoilers on the internet. Eventually, someone is going to play the game and decide they'd like to talk about it. Make peace with it, avoid that corner of the internet, and/or play the game already.

Posted by RE_Player1

I bought 999 just now because of how Patrick was talking about it. I hope it stands up to my favourite DS visual novel, Hotel Dusk Room 215.

Posted by Darkhollow

Bombcast time finally w00t! :D

Posted by fishmicmuffin

I'm glad Patrick mentioned the scene with Mordin in the elevator. That scene really did it for me.

Edited by ModernMoriarty

The biggest problem with the Crucible as the giant McGuffin is that they hadn't even started building it when the invasion began. Their worlds are getting slammed, fleets destroyed, sleeper agents and indoctrinated spies everywhere, and they somehow manage to construct this thing, in time and with the Reapers not knowing about it. Same problem with the idea of these plans being handed down from cycle to cycle - how have the Reapers never found out about this? They hold *all* of the cards when it come to infiltration, because they have indoctrination, and you need to include thousands and thousands in your loop to make the thing (scientists, engineers, security etc etc). There's no way it could be constructed, without the secret getting out.

And like I say, it should be too late. ME2 wasted all the time that Shepard bought the galaxy in ME1. They didn't listen, they weren't prepared *at all*, the galaxy was disunited, the Reapers caught them by surprise, they didn't even *know* what the Crucible was, let alone had started to build it, they have indoctrinated spies and agents everywhere, vast swathes of the galaxy's most powerful fleets and races are already taken out by the Reaper's first wave, the Krogan don't even have their own fleets anymore, and Cerberus is supporting them - and the Reapers *still* somehow manage to lose.

Its utterly stupid. There is absolutely no way that the story should have been allowed to get to this point. Javik has every right to be furious at the incompetance that this cycle has shown, ignoring the warnings until it was too late, even after they were attacked by one. And the blame must be laid at ME2's feet, because it spent the whole game wasting time on the Collectors and a story that ended up not mattering at all. Uniting the races, getting them on side, learning about the Protheans and what they tried to do to fight the Reapers etc - that's what ME2 should have been doing. The final shot of ME2 should have been a united galaxy arming up in readiness, and Hackett presiding over the construction of the Crucible. Then it wouldn't seem so out of the blue. Then you could devote all of ME3 to seeing how the war goes, really give the Reapers a chance to strut their stuff on screen, and see the races working together etc.

I said it then, I say it now - Mass Effect 2 passed the buck completely, and shot the series story in the head. It told a different story that retconned ME1 and left ME3 with far too much to do. The Reaper's sheer power should have ensured that if they invaded under the terms that ME3 states, they should have rolled through the galaxy in record time.

Incidentally, I'm with Brad in saying that Control is the only sensible option for Paragon players. Synthesis is grotesque and absurd that you would force it on everyone, Destroy would be a gross betrayal of the Geth and EDI, and an outrageous act of genocide. In Control, the only race you are affecting and exerting your will over is the bad guys.

Edited by soimadeanaccount

@Ryan: 5 minutes in as soon you guys gave the spoiler warning, I paused to scan the comments to see if there is info on when it is save to tune back in, was not disappointed, thank you good sir.

I guess I will hunker down and finish ME3 this weekend then go back to it.

Posted by Aegon

Someone photoshop Jeff as a centaur.

Posted by ImmortalSaiyan

I was hoping to hear Jeff talk about The Walking Dead. I guess he never played it. All well.

Posted by ch3burashka

>Justin McElroy and the Nier fishing incident

>Jeff and his malaria incident

Situations like these make me lose faith in humanity, or at least game journalists. On the one hand, it's quite possible the game was bugged, and the icon leading to the church was missing. However, judging by the Quick Looks, it's most likely he missed the dialog that explained how to deal with the malaria thing and turned into a pissy baby and said, "I'm never touching that again." Incidentally, exactly how JM reacted. At the time, I found it funny and ridiculous that the game was that terrible, until the comments section became saturated with comments to the contrary, and pointing out his stupidity. Had he (they) been stupid and admitted it, that'd be one thing, but to dismiss the game outright because of your own mistake is another thing altogether.

Posted by Animasta

@CH3BURASHKA: if the lead writer posted on twitter saying that maybe it was a bug, than maybe it was a bug?

Posted by chaosnovaxz

The game came out in February, and people are complaining about spoilers? The fuck?

Edited by ArtisanBreads

@CH3BURASHKA said:

>Justin McElroy and the Nier fishing incident

>Jeff and his malaria incident

Situations like these make me lose faith in humanity, or at least game journalists. On the one hand, it's quite possible the game was bugged, and the icon leading to the church was missing. However, judging by the Quick Looks, it's most likely he missed the dialog that explained how to deal with the malaria thing and turned into a pissy baby and said, "I'm never touching that again." Incidentally, exactly how JM reacted. At the time, I found it funny and ridiculous that the game was that terrible, until the comments section became saturated with comments to the contrary, and pointing out his stupidity. Had he (they) been stupid and admitted it, that'd be one thing, but to dismiss the game outright because of your own mistake is another thing altogether.

No I don't think Jeff is dumb or that this is hard to believe. I like how you say it's his mistake though and he's a "pissy baby". You're a joke.

I played Far Cry 2 and got in a situation after I first got the disease and had to go get pills inside some house. The guy to give them to me got stuck behind a door and the game saved upon entering the house so I could literally not progress any further.

They fucked up having these kind of situations in a game that wasn't totally polished.

Posted by NTM

Yeah, Brad is correct, they added a lot. Like I said before, they even added so much, subtle and not so subtle that I think that it flat out took out the theory everyone thought it was. They didn't really talk about it here, but still.

Posted by Bistromath

Wow, I don't ever want to play Mass Effect 3.

Posted by hollitz

Oh, Mass Effect 3. I didn't even really hate the ending that much (until I read why other people hated it). Most western RPGs don't wrap up in anything close to a satisfying way. In fact, I can't really think of any that do. Maybe some of the older PC ones that I haven't played/ That's just the nature of open-ended games, I suppose. I think I was just expecting more after 2. For me, it's more of a loss of faith in Bioware to be able to string together a series. I suppose whatever franchise they do next, I'll just play the second one and be content.

Posted by tyler1285

I'm glad that Jeff, Yakuza expert, basically tells Patrick not to play the Yakuza games because they "are not like that." Why does everyone but Patrick hate Japan? Ughhh

Posted by sub_o

@Bistromath: It's not a bad game, but just that the ending is disappointing to many fans. But then it's up to you, the journey itself is quite an okay experience. Get it when the price has dropped.

Posted by Terramagi

@tyler1285 said:

I'm glad that Jeff, Yakuza expert, basically tells Patrick not to play the Yakuza games because they "are not like that." Why does everyone but Patrick hate Japan? Ughhh

The context behind that was Patrick saying that Dead Souls was not a good game, to which Jeff says "the other games are not like that".

And considering Patrick basically outright says "yeah, I was real worried about Binary Domain because Japanese people are all fucking racists", I really don't think he's too hot on Japan.

Posted by ArtisanBreads

@Terramagi said:

@tyler1285 said:

The context behind that was Patrick saying that Dead Souls was not a good game, to which Jeff says "the other games are not like that".

And considering Patrick basically outright says "yeah, I was real worried about Binary Domain because Japanese people are all fucking racists", I really don't think he's too hot on Japan.

Holy crap both of you guys are way off.

Posted by smcn

@Terramagi said:

He didn't say that at all. He said Japanese writers typically don't write black characters well. And it's true, because guess what? Not a whole lot of black people in Japan. Patrick's not wrong, and it's also not necessarily an issue of racism.

Posted by ArtisanBreads

@hollitz said:

Oh, Mass Effect 3. I didn't even really hate the ending that much (until I read why other people hated it). Most western RPGs don't wrap up in anything close to a satisfying way. In fact, I can't really think of any that do. Maybe some of the older PC ones that I haven't played/ That's just the nature of open-ended games, I suppose. I think I was just expecting more after 2. For me, it's more of a loss of faith in Bioware to be able to string together a series. I suppose whatever franchise they do next, I'll just play the second one and be content.

Have you played any of Bioware's other games? Basically they all kept it relatively simple at the end (usually saving twists for earlier basically right before the final act) and they all worked just fine. Dragon Age, Jade Empire, KOTOR... they all had good endings.

Posted by Krataur

I love you guys for using F9agy Shep face.

Posted by hollitz

@ArtisanBreads said:

@hollitz said:

Have you played any of Bioware's other games? Basically they all kept it relatively simple at the end (usually saving twists for earlier basically right before the final act) and they all worked just fine. Dragon Age, Jade Empire, KOTOR... they all had good endings.

I played KOTOR on the original XBOX so all of the cinema scenes were basically unwatchable. I enjoyed the story but the ending just felt ...yeah I guess as you put it, simple. Like there's really no reason to even watch it. It's just kind of a letdown to go through this grand adventure and then the reward for it is some uneventful, throw away, cinematic. Dragon Age is my favorite Bioware game, but I've never actually finished it. Got to the last level on the hardest difficulty and then lost my save to a harddrive crash. Kind of don't feel like I'd get anything out of it as I enjoyed the game so much up to that point and the potential to have it be lackluster is high given their track record.

Edited by ArtisanBreads

@hollitz said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@hollitz said:

I played KOTOR on the original XBOX so all of the cinema scenes were basically unwatchable. I enjoyed the story but the ending just felt ...yeah I guess as you put it, simple. Like there's really no reason to even watch it. It's just kind of a letdown to go through this grand adventure and then the reward for it is some uneventful, throw away, cinematic. Dragon Age is my favorite Bioware game, but I've never actually finished it. Got to the last level on the hardest difficulty and then lost my save to a harddrive crash. Kind of don't feel like I'd get anything out of it as I enjoyed the game so much up to that point and the potential to have it be lackluster is high given their track record.

Well.... (aside from the unwatchable part, not sure why) but endings don't need to be complex. Mass Effects got burned by that, I think, and I think on this podcast they outline some of the ways that is the case. I think there is plenty of a reason to watch the endings for the Bioware games I mentioned. I don't think the endings are throw away, they can actually be quite different, where everything is left off with both KOTOR and Dragon Age.

At the end of Dragon Age they do a prettty good job letting you know where your party left off and the kingdom left off and give you a bit of say in all that, and then they give you an Animal House style "What are they doing now" finish. I found it quite satisfying.

I guess I'm not sure what you're looking for if you didn't find either of those satisfactory.

I have certainly played better endings but I think this is part of the difficulty in player choice endings. It's part of the reason I find Walking Dead's so remarkable, though there are less factors to juggle there.

Edited by NTM

Jeff's negativity in here about certain stuff kind of made me chuckle. And no, I'm not being sarcastic. I don't necessarily agree with him on everything, but still, just his reaction and then the others' at times, like from MGS, was kind of funny to me. And when Brad was saying how he thought the highs of ME3 were up there with the rest of the series' highs.

Edited by ArtisanBreads

@NTM said:

Jeff's negativity in here about certain stuff kind of made me chuckle. And no, I'm not being sarcastic. I don't necessarily agree with him on everything, but still, just his reaction and then the others' at times, like from MGS, was kind of funny to me.

Totally reasonable. What did Metal Gear Solid 2 have that MGS 1 didn't have? A few different mechanics (first person aiming being the most notable) and otherwise it's the same game formula. I found Jeff's statement hilarious. I laughed out loud. MGS 2 doesn't have cut scenes apparently?

This is a man who says the Souls series is bad and Red Dead Redemption was awful. So you're always going to have to ignore some of what he says.

Posted by Animasta

@smcn said:

@Terramagi said:

He didn't say that at all. He said Japanese writers typically don't write black characters well. And it's true, because guess what? Not a whole lot of black people in Japan. Patrick's not wrong, and it's also not necessarily an issue of racism.

well, it kind of is, just not racism because of malice; just racism born from ignorance.

which, depending on your viewpoint, isn't as bad or just as bad.

Posted by MrOldboy

What do I need to skip to not spoil the ME3 ending. I want to see it pure for myself.