371 Comments
Posted by SAC

@ZeroV2 said:

Really now bombcast, if you must spoil ME3 just do a ME3cast where that's all you talk about. I have to skip around and hope that I land on a part that doesn't totally ruin the story of a game with an extreme emphasis on story? Thanks

my sentiments exactly... it's pretty annoying because now we must listen to a significantly shorter bombcast.

Posted by NTM

@ArtisanBreads: I didn't exactly laugh at it, and then proceed to think "Yeah! He's right! That's funny." Or "Fuuuuck no, he's definitely wrong, it's hilarious how wrong he is!" I was just referring to his reaction to things. It would go from nonchalant to not so nonchalant but proceeded with others' reactions which I found funny as well.

Posted by OneManX

@ArtisanBreads said:

@NTM said:

Jeff's negativity in here about certain stuff kind of made me chuckle. And no, I'm not being sarcastic. I don't necessarily agree with him on everything, but still, just his reaction and then the others' at times, like from MGS, was kind of funny to me.

Totally reasonable. What did Metal Gear Solid 2 have that MGS 1 didn't have? A few different mechanics (first persona aiming being the most notable) and otherwise it's the same game formula. I found Jeff's statement hilarious. I laughed out loud. MGS 2 doesn't have cut scenes apparently?

He forgot about the part where MGS 2 goe sin straight hot bullshit land... Which seems crazy seeing as he didn't like MGS3, and I felt that one kept the sutscenes low (for a Metal Gear Game)

Edited by ArtisanBreads

Guys: at some point they are going to have to talk about game plots to have meaningful discussion. It's been basically a year since release and they haven't covered this topic, an important one about perhaps the series of the generation. Get over it.

So annoying seeing people complain when they're too vague and then now when they get specific.

I get being worried about spoilers but when they are clearly outlined STFU. Sorry your podcast is shorter because you haven't played the game, that's the breaks. ME3 needs to be discussed, especially since it probably won't be in depth on GOTY since it just won't be a candidate.

Posted by ArtisanBreads

@OneManX said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@NTM said:

Jeff's negativity in here about certain stuff kind of made me chuckle. And no, I'm not being sarcastic. I don't necessarily agree with him on everything, but still, just his reaction and then the others' at times, like from MGS, was kind of funny to me.

Totally reasonable. What did Metal Gear Solid 2 have that MGS 1 didn't have? A few different mechanics (first persona aiming being the most notable) and otherwise it's the same game formula. I found Jeff's statement hilarious. I laughed out loud. MGS 2 doesn't have cut scenes apparently?

He forgot about the part where MGS 2 goe sin straight hot bullshit land... Which seems crazy seeing as he didn't like MGS3, and I felt that one kept the sutscenes low (for a Metal Gear Game)

Keep in mind he also liked MGS4, which had a cutscene that was at least 45 minutes long.

So there is no reason to Jeff's Metal Gear series tastes. Not even worth trying to figure out.

Posted by Bistromath

@sub_o said:

@Bistromath: It's not a bad game, but just that the ending is disappointing to many fans. But then it's up to you, the journey itself is quite an okay experience. Get it when the price has dropped.

The DLC/Javik sound like near required content for a playthrough, and while the 'Digital Deluxe' edition might get cheap, unfortunately on the PC Bioware DLC pretty much never goes on sale, which drastically inflates the price for people who put off playing Mass Effect 3 for nearly a year. Maybe they'll put out a 'GOTY' edition with all the content in one package, but their track record for that has been pretty bad.

Posted by NTM

@SAC said:

@ZeroV2 said:

Really now bombcast, if you must spoil ME3 just do a ME3cast where that's all you talk about. I have to skip around and hope that I land on a part that doesn't totally ruin the story of a game with an extreme emphasis on story? Thanks

my sentiments exactly... it's pretty annoying because now we must listen to a significantly shorter bombcast.

This simply has to do with your love of the bombcast, and lack of time playing or buying games you should and want to play. There was a lot of time from that games release and people finishing it up to here, so you shouldn't just expect them to be sensitive about it by now. At some point in the future, everything has to be expressed. This is just like complaining for any game or even film that came out in the past; "Wait... At the end of Sixth Sense Bruce Willis was actually dead!? Why would you guys spoil that!? I haven't seen it yet! You should have made a spoiler-cast for that." I would personally say after everyone that works on the site goes through it, they should have the instinctual go ahead and talk about it if they want to without people whining about it. It doesn't matter how long it has been out, it should be that when they want to talk about it on their podcast, they should talk about it, and they should expect no complaining over it.

Posted by OneManX

@SAC said:

@ZeroV2 said:

Skip to the Hour mark.. it's still about 3 hours total, so even if you skip the spoilers, that is still a 2-hour podcast

Posted by xMrSunshine

@Vigil80 said:

@WiqidBritt:

Brad's complaint about always picking the top right dialogue option is kind of silly, there's nothing that's keeping him from picking a different option, it's Brad's fault if his Shepard turns out to be a boring boyscout.

Except for the fact that there are future choices gated behind how full your paragon/renegade meter is.

Except that you can totally play all of the games with both sides almost maxed. I did what I wanted in all three Mass Effect games and ended up with 75-90% in both paragon and renegade which then left me in a situation where every dialog option I had the chance to pick was always open at least later on in the game when the major choices were like with the Geth and Quarian situtation. I don't remember ever being gated to one or the other in any of the decisions where there was a chance to pick renegade or paragon because they were both always selectable. It really is Brad's (and really most people's) fault for thinking that you can only play one way.

Posted by xMrSunshine

@thabigred said:

Salvation brothers!

FOR THE GLORY OF THE EMPEROR!

Posted by smokyexe

A game i really don't care about gets talked for an hour? That's why im here!

Posted by 2HeadedNinja

@NTM said:

@SAC said:

@ZeroV2 said:

This simply has to do with your love of the bombcast, and lack of time playing or buying games you should and want to play. There was a lot of time from that games release and people finishing it up to here, so you shouldn't just expect them to be sensitive about it by now. At some point in the future, everything has to be expressed. This is just like complaining for any game or even film that came out in the past; "Wait... At the end of Sixth Sense Bruce Willis was actually dead!? Why would you guys spoil that!? I haven't seen it yet! You should have made a spoiler-cast for that." I would personally say after everyone that works on the site goes through it, they should have the instinctual go ahead and talk about it if they want to without people whining about it. It doesn't matter how long it has been out, it should be that when they want to talk about it on their podcast, they should talk about it, and they should expect no complaining over it.

agreed

Posted by development

"you could sit twice." Amazing

Posted by FlyBikes06

fuck mgs1 and the walking dead.

Posted by Soniking

Where do I scrub to skip the Mass Efect ending spoilers at the top of the show?

Posted by NekuCTR

"Tarnished thing" "Blight on the Mass Effect name." "It betrayed me."

With all do respect, you guys are overreacting like fucking crazy!

Posted by Rasmoss

Saying that MGS1 is just walking from cutscene to cutscene is fucking dumb.

Posted by DeF

FINALLY something Jeff and I can agree on: Those ME3 dream sequences were absolutely, atrociously dumb! (and terrible to play)

Posted by TheMasterDS

Loved the Mass Effect Spoiler Hour! I agree that a lot of Mass Effect 3 is really lame. Also loved the bit where ME2 and ME1's story were put against each other. I'd say this, I'd say ME1 was more about the story and main threat thus more meaningful reveals and better antagonists but ME2 did the squad right and did ancillary parts of the universe best. In ME2 it didn't matter that a great number of missions were not directly related to the plot (Other than "I want to get more dudes/get these dudes loyal") but I think that helped the game a lot. Meant what they could do on missions plot wise was more flexible and more personal. These were good things. It's sad they couldn't think of a way to make the dynamic work that way in ME3, I sort of just wish they just hadn't made it full on war.

Posted by Humanity

@NTM said:

@SAC said:

@ZeroV2 said:

Those are MY sentiments. I get so irritated when instead of a thoughtful discussion they all say "oh well it hasn't been out long enough lets not spoil it" and then they move on to talking about Dennys for 40 minutes. I love tangents on the Bombcast, but if they are in lieu of actual game talk thats shitty. I wouldn't mind if they talked about game spoilers even sooner. Mass Effect 3 came out a long time ago, you can't expect the world to wait for you to get around to an almost year old game and walk around on tip toes in case you overhear a spoiler. Frankly I'm surprised with the amount of talk online that you haven't had it inadvertently spoiled already.

Posted by golguin

Yes on all the ME3 talk. It's finally been had and it was great. Also, the Asura's Wrath DLC ending is the GREATEST THING EVER! I feel that it's crazy that it's going to be high on my top 10, but it makes total sense and it's an amazing experience.

If anyone has the time to squeak in the game and then watch the ending DLC on youtube (the animated story DLC is also good) you will not regret it. Asura's Wrath is an experience like no other.

Posted by YOUNGLINK

Felt like this was a pregame for the GOTY podcasts. SO HYPE!

Posted by Godot

59:52 for end of Mass Effect talk.

Posted by NTM

@Soniking: It's actually quite literally one hour in. Ryan will pause for a second after and then it's into the next topic.

Posted by MattClassic

Super Fire Pro X fucking owns. Generally speaking, Fire Pro fucking owns. Well except for that dumb avatar-based XBL game, it's nothing but a sad shadow of what Fire Pro once was.

Posted by phrosnite

I wasn't surprised by the kid when I first went there. I knew something like that existed. So, to me, that whole deus ex machina is not valid.

Stop bitching about that people. Insulting? WOW. Chill out.

Posted by kyrieee

@jerseyscum said:

@Ryan said:

NOTE: If you want to avoid any major Mass Effect 3 spoilers, skip ahead to the 1-hour mark. Enjoy!

About damn time we get a spoilercast on any game. You guys really need to do one for The Walking Dead and Assassin's Creed 3.

There's nothing to talk about in AC3, it's just a fucking mess.

Posted by Fattony12000

His name is Drew Karpyshyn.

Posted by Matoyak

@Humanity said:

@NTM said:

@SAC said:

@ZeroV2 said:

Those are MY sentiments. I get so irritated when instead of a thoughtful discussion they all say "oh well it hasn't been out long enough lets not spoil it" and then they move on to talking about Dennys for 40 minutes. I love tangents on the Bombcast, but if they are in lieu of actual game talk thats shitty. I wouldn't mind if they talked about game spoilers even sooner. Mass Effect 3 came out a long time ago, you can't expect the world to wait for you to get around to an almost year old game and walk around on tip toes in case you overhear a spoiler. Frankly I'm surprised with the amount of talk online that you haven't had it inadvertently spoiled already.

There have been SO MANY games though that have come out over the past year or two that there are tons of people who haven't the time or money to get ME3 and play through it to completion (Let's remember, this is a massive game and requires a lot of hours to play to completion). I would personally be more than OK with a shorter regular "bombcast" and a spoilercast as a separate thing. But hey, that's not my call, it just totally sucks that people who want to enjoy both the Bombcast and ME3's story sans spoilers have to guess and hunt and peck around trying to hope to avoid getting a spoiler dropped on them. It would be one thing if it was a set period of time, but while the liner notes say "one solid hour" this is the bombcast...there's no guarantee that if you skip one hour in the podcast that you're not going to get the tail end of the spoiler talk, and that's where the big (perhaps giant? Nah, that'd be silly) bomb might be. Granted, I've come to the conclusion I just don't like ME3 enough gameplay OR story-wise to finish it in the time I have before GotY talks come around, so I'm going to listen through the whole conversation here. As an aside, movies, books, anime, manga, and all other forms of media enjoy a MUCH longer "please do not spoil this" period than games do, often lasting many many years. Wonder why that is.

Posted by Guestuse1111

@ArtisanBreads: I don't know how you people keep analyzing what Patrick says... he's pretty dumb and ignorant, even for a 14 year old.

Posted by Delta_Ass

@DeF said:

FINALLY something Jeff and I can agree on: Those ME3 dream sequences were absolutely, atrociously dumb! (and terrible to play)

Yeah, agreed. Freaky dream sequences belong in Max Payne, not Mass Effect.

Posted by shadowwolf9

@NekuCTR: Seriously, Patrick and Jeff need to calm the fuck down. I would guarantee I'm more entrenched in the universe than either of them, but I'm pretty much okay with the way the game played out. Calling it "disgusting" and "sickening" wins them the drama queen crown.

Disagree, sure, but they acted like ME3 beat up their mothers.

Posted by phrosnite

@Delta_Ass said:

@DeF said:

Well you clearly didn't get why Shepard was having those dreams.

Posted by civid

@Matoyak said:

@Humanity said:

@NTM said:

@SAC said:

@ZeroV2 said:

There have been SO MANY games though that have come out over the past year or two that there are tons of people who haven't the time or money to get ME3 and play through it to completion (Let's remember, this is a massive game and requires a lot of hours to play to completion). I would personally be more than OK with a shorter regular "bombcast" and a spoilercast as a separate thing. But hey, that's not my call, it just totally sucks that people who want to enjoy both the Bombcast and ME3's story sans spoilers have to guess and hunt and peck around trying to hope to avoid getting a spoiler dropped on them. It would be one thing if it was a set period of time, but while the liner notes say "one solid hour" this is the bombcast...there's no guarantee that if you skip one hour in the podcast that you're not going to get the tail end of the spoiler talk, and that's where the big (perhaps giant? Nah, that'd be silly) bomb might be. Granted, I've come to the conclusion I just don't like ME3 enough gameplay OR story-wise to finish it in the time I have before GotY talks come around, so I'm going to listen through the whole conversation here. As an aside, movies, books, anime, manga, and all other forms of media enjoy a MUCH longer "please do not spoil this" period than games do, often lasting many many years. Wonder why that is.

Ihavn't listened to the bombcast jet, but I really don't see the problem. I mean I assume they're going to say when they're beginning to talk about ME3... So just skip an hour ahead. Problem solved!

Personally I couldn't care less. I love the two first ME-games (the first one is one of my all time favorite games), but this just seems off one so many levels I'm not even going to bother playing this one through, or even buying it. Maybe if it gets included in the PS Plus freebies...

Posted by Death_Burnout

@ArtisanBreads said:

@CH3BURASHKA said:

>Justin McElroy and the Nier fishing incident

>Jeff and his malaria incident

Situations like these make me lose faith in humanity, or at least game journalists. On the one hand, it's quite possible the game was bugged, and the icon leading to the church was missing. However, judging by the Quick Looks, it's most likely he missed the dialog that explained how to deal with the malaria thing and turned into a pissy baby and said, "I'm never touching that again." Incidentally, exactly how JM reacted. At the time, I found it funny and ridiculous that the game was that terrible, until the comments section became saturated with comments to the contrary, and pointing out his stupidity. Had he (they) been stupid and admitted it, that'd be one thing, but to dismiss the game outright because of your own mistake is another thing altogether.

No I don't think Jeff is dumb or that this is hard to believe. I like how you say it's his mistake though and he's a "pissy baby". You're a joke.

I played Far Cry 2 and got in a situation after I first got the disease and had to go get pills inside some house. The guy to give them to me got stuck behind a door and the game saved upon entering the house so I could literally not progress any further.

They fucked up having these kind of situations in a game that wasn't totally polished.

I've started Far Cry 2 at least 6 times. 5 times on PC, once on 360. I have never once come across a bug like that.

Besides, Jeff not being able to complete that tutorial? There are no words.

Posted by Cashprizes

They patched the "custom Shepard" bug, my brother refused to play the game until he could import his characters face he had had since ME1 and like 4 months in it worked.

Posted by DeF

@phrosnite said:

@Delta_Ass said:

@DeF said:

The fact that there's a reason (oh noez, little kid died, I feel terrible! / oh noez it can has foreshadow my fate?!) doesn't change how terrible those sequences are in the first place.

Posted by phrosnite

@DeF said:

@phrosnite said:

@Delta_Ass said:

@DeF said:

The fact that there's a reason (oh noez, little kid died, I feel terrible! / oh noez it can has foreshadow my fate?!) doesn't change how terrible those sequences are in the first place.

It's not only about that. You didn't get it.

Continue bitching. It amuses me.

Posted by DeF

@phrosnite said:

@DeF said:

@phrosnite said:

@Delta_Ass said:

@DeF said:

It's not only about that. You didn't get it.

Continue bitching. It amuses me.

I'm not "bitching," I'm complaining about a part of a game I did not like and found to be annoying and a waste of my time.

Why don't you explain that "deeper meaning" to me then instead of being condescending like a crane.

Posted by Generiko

Alex is going to stab Jeff when he gets there

Posted by Tarsier

patrick stop spreading filth and misinformation about dark souls 2. the developers said theyre making it more 'straightforward' and 'understandable'. thats not streamlined and accessible. its called making a better game. there can be a balance struck between difficulty level and fairness, and allowing the player to have an understanding of what hes getting into and what he might need to do. rather than just basically tricking players and fucking with them. the times that happens in dark souls, sometimes funny, and sometimes horribly annoying. to put attention to these things is the right thing for FROM software to do.

Posted by phrosnite

@DeF: I have long since given up trying to explain things to people because I found it annoying and a waste of my time.

Edited by LegendaryChopChop

Thank you, Brad, for reasonable and coherent ME3 ending discussion.

Keep in mind that Synthesis, according to the AI, was "inevitable", so it would happen anyway. Accelerated evolution, in a sense. Also, I'm pro-Synthesis but Ryan was right, the circuit board eye thing was just so fucking dumb.

Now, I loved the game, but I never want to hear about the ending again.

Posted by Indiana_Jenkins

When you guys scoffed at Ryan for playing Super Hexagon for 45 minutes straight, is when I realized you guys were no good at Super Hexagon. That game is 40% muscle memory, 35% pattern recognition , 20% reaction time, and 5% unidentified subconscious... stuff. The only way to get better is by banging your head against it.

Edited by Incapability

@Tarsier: It's time to find a new source for your video game journalism.

Edited by DeF

@phrosnite said:

@DeF: I have long since given up trying to explain things to people because I found it annoying and a waste of my time.

Then I'll happily let you sit atop your glorious mountain of knowledge where you can belittle us fools who "do not get it." Seriously, can you try to be a little less condescending here maybe if you don't even care to explain yourself?

Posted by linus_south

Are you dissing Donkey Kong Country? It kind of sounds like you are...

Posted by Pie

@DeF said:

@phrosnite said:

Then I'll happily let you sit atop your glorious mountain of knowledge where you can belittle us fools who "do not get it." Seriously, can you try to be a little less condescending here maybe if you don't even care to explain yourself?

YOU JUST DON'T GET IT MAN!

Posted by Tarsier

@Incapability said:

@Tarsier: It's time to find a new source for your video game journalism.

i would go ahead and say no it is not

Edited by Death_Burnout

Gotta say, I really enjoyed the Mass Effect talk and did not expect to!

Vinny had the right idea for the ending. That was my favourite part of the end. It would have been more than enough.