293 Comments
Posted by mamfslp

AAAH i want to listen to this in my bed with the wii u pad! add this : )

Posted by wumbo3000

@NTM said:

@wumbo3000: When?

Near the end when they're talking about McAfee and how to pronounce his name. I think it's between new releases and emails. Somewhere towards the end.

Posted by DemiGodRaven

The screaming head from Leviathan IS GREAT.

Posted by murisan

Jeff is fucking killing it at the end.

Posted by Presto

When Brad said (about mass effect 3 multiplayer) that he was "playing pub games", I thought he meant Fable 2 Pub Games and was confused.

Posted by Th3_James

I played The Walking Dead chapters 1-4 in 24 hours. It was fucking amazing. I like to consume content all at once, I feel breaking things up makes for a worse story and less enjoyment for me. Same goes for TV shows.

Edited by George_Hukas

Posted by mellotronrules

@George_Hukas said:

#1reasonwhy you can physically assault my girlfriend in public and I wont do anything about it.

nice.

Edited by ripelivejam

@mellotronrules said:

@George_Hukas said:

#1reasonwhy you can physically assault my girlfriend in public and I wont do anything about it.

nice.

did he say that or provide all the details? probably didn't know where it came from. if your wife/gf got clocked in the face randomly while in a big crowd would you be all macho tough guy and start socking everyone around you, especially if you didn't see where it came from? with it happening suddenly like that i'm sure you guys wouldn't know HOW to react for a few seconds, after that you'd probably only care about getting the hell out of there like patrick did.

god you guys grasp for straws.

Posted by SethPhotopoulos

I was able to do the suicide mission with no faq, no internet, no help from anybody and on my first try I got everyone out safely. I never understood how anyone could not figure out how to get everyone out safely unless they didn't do any of the missions. I made my choices based on the conversations I had with the characters in ME2. I used the information given to me by the characters.

Posted by mellotronrules

@ripelivejam:

you misunderstand me. i was being deeply sarcastic. i'm so, so tired of the anti-patrick sentiment. y'all keep this up, we're going to end up like a post-newsted metallica.

Posted by Quantris

Whoever told Patrick to play 999 with a FAQ kind of ruined it IMO; it really is a big part of the point of the game to figure out how to get to the true ending yourself, and it's surprising not as obtuse as one would expect.

Posted by SagaciousJones

@SethPhotopoulos said:

I never understood how anyone could not figure out how to get everyone out safely

The biggest thing that got people killed was...

....who to send back with the surviving crew members. Based on the situation, it makes intuitive sense to sent your hardiest, toughest soldier who's most likely to keep all of them alive on their own (Grunt, for example) because the game suggests that there might be danger in sending them back without help. In actuality, the death mechanics behind the final scenes require you to send your squishiest character (Mordin, followed by Jack or Kasumi) because the crew isn't in any danger at all and those "weak" party members are most likely to die while holding the line. You can have done everything in the game perfectly and still lose Mordin on the line
Edited by happymeowmeow

Speaking of game of the year stuff, if there was any mostly ignored game I'd recommend you guys give another chance it would be Yakuza: Dead Souls. Saw the Quick Look and can't argue with the faults you guys pointed out, but it really did pay off for me in terms of sheer ridiculousness and fun. It's like the Yakuza team was given the yakuza 4 game engine and were told "you know what, do you whatever you fuckin want with this". Some of the highlights: very odd massage parlor "battle" minigame, ping-pong that seems to be won by focusing on the opponents breasts (extra creepy with Majima playing), all the hostesses you "max out" can be given guns and you can partner with them to kill zombies, and a weekend at bernies callback where you chase a zombie in underwear around. Probably helped that I only paid $15 for it, but regardless.

@patrickklepek after beating 999 once and getting a "bad end", I used that flowchart faq that's been posted in the comments and don't think I couldn't have gotten all the way to "real end" without it. As far as "real end" being super great, it's not, but it's definitely pretty weird, a lot of "say whaaa?" moments, and I wouldn't have felt as satisfied with 999 as I did without it.

Posted by SethPhotopoulos

@SagaciousJones said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

I never understood how anyone could not figure out how to get everyone out safely

The biggest thing that got people killed was...

....who to send back with the surviving crew members. Based on the situation, it makes intuitive sense to sent your hardiest, toughest soldier who's most likely to keep all of them alive on their own (Grunt, for example) because the game suggests that there might be danger in sending them back without help. In actuality, the death mechanics behind the final scenes require you to send your squishiest character (Mordin, followed by Jack or Kasumi) because the crew isn't in any danger at all and those "weak" party members are most likely to die while holding the line. You can have done everything in the game perfectly and still lose Mordin on the line

I had Thane do it and it all turned out good. But I think there was a coin flip for the line. I did do another play through where I tried to get everyone killed and was only successful at killing two.

Posted by MrKlorox

This podcast felt a lot like going back to school after the xmas break for some reason.

Posted by TheHT

I hope one day someone cuts together everytime Jeff says a joke that Brad was in the middle of getting out.

Posted by mutha3
@edgeCrusher said:

@patrickklepek

If you don't like "Bad End," you'll be disappointed by Clock Tower.

Also, the true ending of 999 is horseshit. It doesn't actually explain anything in the main game, it simply plays out like an arbitrary chapter that takes place after the events of the main game. Cliche Japanese story telling bullshit.

I thought the True Ending was the only worthwhile thing in 999. It justified its existence as DS game.
Posted by OneManX

Apparently every big name game this year as been disappointing.. according to the Bombcast.

Posted by Skillface

@Sil3n7 said:

So you guys are just gonna act like the #1reasonwhy didn't happen?

Whaaaaaaaat?

Yeah, I'd rather they do this than discuss it on the podcast and have this comment thread turn into a whole new brand of clusterfuck. Let's leave the discussion at what it was (exhaustive), and move forward.

Posted by ripelivejam

@mellotronrules: yeah had a feeling with your response, sorry my sarcasm detector's permanently broken on the interwebs. my apologies to you in particular.

in other news jeff's a complete asshole in the best possible way. i picture him almost frothing at the mouth towards the end of the podcast in places. had me in stitches :D

Posted by evanbower

@ominousbedroom said:

I honestly wonder what the working life of the GB crew is like. And I think I love gaming enough to want that life over a PhD.

... What?

Posted by evanbower

Haha so wait, do they just keep letting Patrick say Levia-thon? No one says anything?

Posted by arimajinn

Bombcast!! <3

Posted by johnbakosh

wee

Posted by ripelivejam

@evanbower said:

Haha so wait, do they just keep letting Patrick say Levia-thon? No one says anything?

vinny said it too

also i'm guilty of never pronouncing mcafee right :(

Posted by Ulzor

@evanbower said:

He seems to have trouble pronouncing a lot of words. Like scenario and nuclear. Annoying as hell and it seems to be more ignorance than anything else.
Posted by Nentisys

The dudes who fucked up Farcry 3's storyline are literally retarded.

Edited by evanbower

@Ulzor said:

@evanbower said:

He seems to have trouble pronouncing a lot of words. Like scenario and nuclear. Annoying as hell and it seems to be more ignorance than anything else.

Hey woah relax. We're all just trying to have a good time here.

EDIT: And Ryan waiting two hours to bring it up is perfect.

Posted by evanbower

@Nentisys said:

LITERALLY.

Posted by buckybit

I felt compelled to log in, to express my disappointment.

Maybe it's just me, getting old, but their opinions on the podcast are weirdly extreme. They talk each other into uncharted territory of irrational criticism, one outpacing the other, only to vaguely take it back, but quickly afterwards jumping even further.

These days I listen to these podcasts, knowing they add no value to any discussion outside their office, often just shaking my head, but still downloading these mp3's out of habit.

... carry on.

-- End of Message --

*don't bother quoting me/replying - I'm not the kind who follows these threads here anymore - you waste energy.

Posted by Tr0n

@buckybit: That's just GB. :)

Posted by Guestuse1111

So Patrick is back? Pffffff....

Posted by Elktap

Patrick is back, first item of the day, Sports.

Couldn't even have half of the podcast before it turned to this.

Posted by supertuna

@evanbower said:

@Nentisys said:

LITERALLY.

I just LITERALLY lol'd.

Posted by Sooty

I feel people are vastly overstating the emotional impact The Walking Dead had.

Posted by Tr0n

@Sooty said:

I feel people are vastly overstating the emotional impact The Walking Dead had.

Yeah. It was "shocking" for a video game I guess, but the gameplay is pretty basic and boring.

Edited by mbr2

Everything the guys talked what they liked about FC3 with the immersive moments and you improvising with missions is exactly what FC2 was but it didn't have a terrible story that's shoved down your face, you not having to interfere with terrible menus, not nearly as handholdy and no endless notifications that you can't turn off.

EDIT: "They nailed the world" They nailed the world because Far Cry 2 had a competent lead designer. (Clint Hocking)

Posted by Supersoaker

@Sooty: Yes.

Posted by Haze

Jeff sounds like he is under so much stress lately.

Posted by Death_Burnout

@mbr2: I like you!

Posted by Supersoaker

@mbr2: One would argue that in order to be immerse, a game shouldn't have subpar voice acting. Seriously subpar.

Posted by Christoffer

I like Patrick, and I like drinks. But... well it's not my business.

Posted by dropabombonit

Is there any spoiler talk about The Walking Dead, just on episode 5 now and don't want it spoiled for me