293 Comments
Posted by Draxyle

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@gladspooky said:

"If you want to hang out with someone, you want to carry a persona of that type..."

Not really. I never have the right persona, and I'm level 9 with everybody, in Naoto's dungeon.

Yeah, I never thought that was necessary. I was under the impression that what started relationships was not personas but how much of a certain stat such as courage you have.

Carrying persona's around certainly helps out during the social links you're working on (except for the first couple and the last rank ups I believe), but I wouldn't obsess over always getting them for absolutely every rank up. It is nearly impossible to 100% the social links without some sort of guide anyhow (to know the correct dialogue responses and scheduling). If it becomes a nuisance to keep pulling out persona's, I just wouldn't bother.

The stats (courage, intelligence) help start specific social links (most of the part-time jobs), but not the rank up process.

As for anything else, the only thing you might need a guide for are the endings, but not really if you just keep saving often enough. You can never screw yourself out of the true ending for good (thankfully).

Edited by EnduranceFun

@Milkman said:

The idea that because they didn't talk about means they're somehow disappointed in Patrick or that he's seen as an "outsider" is just stupid.

That's not really what was said in the quoted post. Just because they may not like how things turned out, doesn't mean they're disappointed in Patrick. If this were true, maybe he doesn't understand the culture? Just seems unfair to say this is a stupid assumption. They avoided talking about it and no one can say for sure why.

Posted by Nation764

@Splodge said:

@Branthog said:

When I was sixteen, I was dating and living with a MILF with a two year old and while we were screwing around in bed one night, she drank some of her own breast-milk from the tap and then insisted I do, too. It wasn't great, but it wasn't exactly repulsive. I mean, in comparison, I'm pretty sure jizz tastes way worse.

That is so fucking romantic.

I did not expect to read this when I started reading these comments! : )

Posted by Zeik

@mutha3 said:

Yeah, I'm glad Brad called him out on that. That game is a complete shitshow on the consoles, and just because "you should still play it", doesn't mean that its fine. Just like how you could totally play Skyrim on PS3.

I don't know, I haven't played FC3, but most PC gamers make a bigger deal about console issues than actual console players. I played Skyrim on the PS3 and I thought it was fine (and I even went into it with a lot of trepidation), if Far Cry 3 is anything like that then I don't think most people are going to care that much.

Edited by Lelcar

I like how Patrick called out Brad for being down on consoles all the time in comparison to PC. I mean, dont get me wrong, I play games on both mediums, but i am tired of the constant obvious comparison. PC will always be better, but i never have any problems with the console versions.

Also, Jeff's Wii internet rant was hilarious.

Posted by prestonhedges

@Draxyle said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@gladspooky said:

"If you want to hang out with someone, you want to carry a persona of that type..."

Not really. I never have the right persona, and I'm level 9 with everybody, in Naoto's dungeon.

Yeah, I never thought that was necessary. I was under the impression that what started relationships was not personas but how much of a certain stat such as courage you have.

Carrying persona's around certainly helps out during the social links you're working on (except for the first couple and the last rank ups I believe), but I wouldn't obsess over always getting them for absolutely every rank up. It is nearly impossible to 100% the social links without some sort of guide anyhow (to know the correct dialogue responses and scheduling). If it becomes a nuisance to keep pulling out persona's, I just wouldn't bother.

The stats (courage, intelligence) help start specific social links (most of the part-time jobs), but not the rank up process.

As for anything else, the only thing you might need a guide for are the endings, but not really if you just keep saving often enough. You can never screw yourself out of the true ending for good (thankfully).

I don't know, I don't think I'm spending any more time working on Social Links than Jeff and Vinny did, and I don't carry around the right personae with me at all times. The first five or six are free, and then you might have to spend one day with them before they'll rank up. Maybe it's different/easier in Golden, I don't know, but that's how it is.

Posted by pyromagnestir

Binary Domain is pretty sweet! The guys are missing out!

And you couldn't move Super Smash Bros. Brawler saves off the Wii they were on. I remember I wanted to unlock the characters on my console and then take the save to my sister's so my nephew could play as Sonic when I was babysitting him. It wouldn't let me copy the save. Fortunately, I figured that out before I'd wasted a bunch of time unlocking Sonic.

Posted by Zamir
Posted by Shinmaru007

I think Patrick's assessment of 999 is fair so far. I never got into the puzzles that much, myself, but loved the story and characters, though I couldn't totally get into the finale because part of the emotional core (the romance) didn't click with me at all. But it's still cool. Hope he enjoys the rest of the game and Virtue's Last Reward!

Posted by soulmanim3

@hoccus said:

After experiencing my first bombcast last week, I couldn't believe what I was missing out on.

Welcome to the Bombcast! Check out the Game of the Year conversations for the last couple of years. They're great! E3 coverage great too!

Edited by Shingro

I'd just like to say that I really like Patrick, he's good people, and the most actively analytical of the group, even if he's not quite got the age-ed wisdom of the rest, by the time he's their ages he's going to be a monster. =P

(Brad is secretly the most analytical and it took me 2 years of bombcasts to realize it, I forget the episode where he tipped his hand, but trust me, just because he's quiet, doesn't mean he's not thinking)

Oh, and the fastest way to not enjoy a game about managing your time and living a life is to try to min-max your time spent per day vs returns gained. Keeping a persona of a certain type doesn't even give a huge bonus to link progression anyway.

Besides, it's a feedback loop anyway, people you hang out with the most will generate the strongest persona, which will mean you have them on hand, which means their links progress faster, which means their persona are even stronger... which means.... etc.

besides, the events where you just 'run into them' aren't affected by same-persona bonuses if I recall right.

Edited by LegendaryChopChop

@Behonkiss said:

I think I'm gonna have to let the Bombcast go. I've been listening to it from the beginning, and loved it for a long time, but this year has just been crap. Endless discussions where they start talking about how great a game is before nitpicking endlessly for an hour, stupid mouth fart noises, awkward pauses, boring tangents...the list goes on. The podcast has gone from leaving me entertained to leaving me annoyed. They've totally lost their spark.

I do get why you feel that way. Seems like episodes from last year were superior, but I think Jeff is still fucking amazing in them, and Brad has stepped up a lot this year too.

When they start talking about games I don't care about, I definitely trail off, so I'm not bothered by that if it doesn't pertain to me with the "boring tangents". You do bring up a good point, though, they have definitely been nitpicking a lot since the "sequel fatigue" discussions that came up since around Uncharted 3 time last year. Seems like they hate most current franchises, but then give it 4-5 star reviews and talk about how good it is. It's definitely a weird thing and makes me wonder why reviews even exist on the site at all since this is usually the case.

I won't stop listening to them, of course, and I do think some nuances you pointed out are annoying, but the emails segments are always great, regardless of how anything else goes.

Posted by TheKing

Brad should apply for a job at PC Gamer.

Posted by LegendaryChopChop

Also, I'm not getting why Brad thinks Carrie-Anne Moss wasn't good as Aria. I haven't really heard of this being an issue and feel that she does a great job at it without it being so obvious it's her.

Posted by GioVANNI
@TheKing: Why?  Because the PC version of Farcry 3 is far superior to the console version?
Posted by GioVANNI
@Lelcar said:

I like how Patrick called out Brad for being down on consoles all the time in comparison to PC. I mean, dont get me wrong, I play games on both mediums, but i am tired of the constant obvious comparison. PC will always be better, but i never have any problems with the console versions.

<20FPS is straight up inexcusable.
Posted by Elwoodan

Double-fine was in trouble before they decided to flip onto smaller scale games, still wondering why THQ doesn't put all these sick devs under them onto some small scale stuff to hold on till the bigger releases?

Posted by Jourdon

@GioVANNI said:

@Lelcar said:

It's bad I guess, but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the game one iota. When I was playing it I never really thought about or noticed the frame rate because I was having so much goddamn fun. For us lowly peasants who don't have PCs, it's exactly like Patrick said: completely playable and totally fucking awesome.

Edited by Sooty

@Jourdon said:

@GioVANNI said:

@Lelcar said:

It's bad I guess, but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the game one iota. When I was playing it I never really thought about or noticed the frame rate because I was having so much goddamn fun. For us lowly peasants who don't have PCs, it's exactly like Patrick said: completely playable and totally fucking awesome.

Playable doesn't mean good nor does it mean it shouldn't be made a deal out of. If you start allowing 20 FPS, it will become more and more common. In the Digital Foundry video it seems like every gunfight makes it range from 22-26 on 360 and less than that on PS3.

I don't think Mass Effect on 360 deserved a release either, it ran like shit and was horrible to play, seemed to never run at a smooth framerate for me. Turned into a slideshow when you're fighting the mind control monster.

@Zeik said:

@mutha3 said:

Yeah, I'm glad Brad called him out on that. That game is a complete shitshow on the consoles, and just because "you should still play it", doesn't mean that its fine. Just like how you could totally play Skyrim on PS3.

I don't know, I haven't played FC3, but most PC gamers make a bigger deal about console issues than actual console players. I played Skyrim on the PS3 and I thought it was fine (and I even went into it with a lot of trepidation), if Far Cry 3 is anything like that then I don't think most people are going to care that much.

Well of course it's worse for people who usually play on PC, if you are used to 60FPS how do you think going to less than 25 on average will feel? Even 45 FPS feels rough as hell if you're usually getting a constant 60, framerate fluctuation is disorientating.

They should have just waited until the next gen systems instead of making the cash grab in sacrifice of quality. That's what annoys me the most here, I hate it when games get released with poor framerate, the most notable for me are GTA IV and Mass Effect. Also, Assassin's Creed on PS3.

Posted by unholyone123

@Lelcar said:

Yeah. Brad makes kind of ill thought out comments sometimes. It doesn't happen enough to become a real issue, but it still makes me shake my head every time he does it.

Posted by twillfast

@Ulzor said:

@twillfast said:

@Ulzor said:

@evanbower said:

Haha so wait, do they just keep letting Patrick say Levia-thon? No one says anything?

He seems to have trouble pronouncing a lot of words. Like scenario and nuclear. Annoying as hell and it seems to be more ignorance than anything else.

No mention of Ryan's "cayot-s"? Those coyotes sure are funky.

Something you will learn in life is that people pronounce things differently. And if that gets annoying as hell, you should probably get your head out of your ass and check if you have a dialect yourself. I'm perfectly positive you do.

So your answer to someone expressing a criticism of a very critical person is to be a condescending jackass? Talk about someone who should pull "your head out of your ass." Theres a difference between someone with certain dialect and someone who says about half a dozen words completely wrong and won't change cause they are too proud. So go on with your defending people on the internet that you find infallible you jackass!

My response to your condescension was to express criticism of your proudness. Also, I'm not defending Patrick because he's "infallible", I'm defending him because nobody is.

Posted by Savutano

All I want for Christmas is some new Jars and a site beta. PLZ SANTA! >_<

Posted by BigDaveisCheap

Breast milk is delicious.

I'm just saying.

Posted by Daiphyer

Patrick standing up for us poor console users! You go Patrick!

Edited by Sooty

@unholyone123 said:

@Lelcar said:

Yeah. Brad makes kind of ill thought out comments sometimes. It doesn't happen enough to become a real issue, but it still makes me shake my head every time he does it.

It's not ill thought out, Far Cry 3 constantly dips below 25 FPS on console. That is not cool and deserves to be pointed out. I mean shit, it goes down to less than 20 on PS3.

Just because some of you guys only own consoles doesn't mean you should forget about consumer standards. I owned Uncharted: Golden Abyss on Vita and still called it out when the framerate was shit, and that's not even as bad as Far Cry 3.

Edited by SethMode

I really like Patrick, and don't understand why so many people like to hate on him. That being said, I think he could stand to take less hard line stances sometimes, particularly in cases where it's a game (or DLC) he hasn't played (in this 'casts case, he tells Brad that Levia-THON would not change the ending of ME3, when he hadn't even played the DLC -- it might be true, but he's too good a journalist to make such a definitive statement without being able to actually back it up).

Otherwise, great stuff as always.

Posted by OneManX

@Sooty said:

@unholyone123 said:

@Lelcar said:

It's not ill thought out, Far Cry 3 constantly dips below 25 FPS on console. That is not cool and deserves to be pointed out. I mean shit, it goes down to less than 20 on PS3.

Just because some of you guys only own consoles doesn't mean you should forget about consumer standards. I owned Uncharted: Golden Abyss on Vita and still called it out when the framerate was shit, and that's not even as bad as Far Cry 3.

Well.. if you only own one console, why should the other versions matter to you? If you drop your money and play the game and enjoy it... why should that person feel bad. If the consumer is having a good time, then what's the real problem.

I'm not saying there can't be a discussion, but no point in jumping down someone's throat because they don't have a good enough rig to run a game.

Posted by Ulzor

@twillfast said:

@Ulzor said:

@twillfast said:

@Ulzor said:

@evanbower said:

Haha so wait, do they just keep letting Patrick say Levia-thon? No one says anything?

He seems to have trouble pronouncing a lot of words. Like scenario and nuclear. Annoying as hell and it seems to be more ignorance than anything else.

Something you will learn in life is that people pronounce things differently. And if that gets annoying as hell, you should probably get your head out of your ass and check if you have a dialect yourself. I'm perfectly positive you do.

So your answer to someone expressing a criticism of a very critical person is to be a condescending jackass? Talk about someone who should pull "your head out of your ass." Theres a difference between someone with certain dialect and someone who says about half a dozen words completely wrong and won't change cause they are too proud. So go on with your defending people on the internet that you find infallible you jackass!

My response to your condescension was to express criticism of your proudness. Also, I'm not defending Patrick because he's "infallible", I'm defending him because nobody is.

So all you do is turn around say back what I said to you? Where's the logic in this? Then you act like a fool again trying to teach life lessons. You must have a terrible life to go around policing the internet for people saying anything at all critical of any of your precious likes. I really hope someone throws a bottle at your earface!

Posted by evanbower

@Ulzor said:

@twillfast said:

@Ulzor said:

@twillfast said:

@Ulzor said:

@evanbower said:

So all you do is turn around say back what I said to you? Where's the logic in this? Then you act like a fool again trying to teach life lessons. You must have a terrible life to go around policing the internet for people saying anything at all critical of any of your precious likes. I really hope someone throws a bottle at your earface!

Can you guys stop quoting earlier posts so I can get my name off of this going-nowhere conversation?

Edited by Thatoneguy64

@Sooty said:

@unholyone123 said:

@Lelcar said:

Exactly. This isn't about PC versions versus console versions, or "being used to" console games; it's about how people straight-up should not accept such poor treatment regardless of system. I have a nice PC, sure, but I also game a lot on my 360, Wii, and PS3. It is inexcusable for a game to regularly dip down to around 20FPS; I don't care if you can "get used" to it, that doesn't make it fine or acceptable. We shouldn't be so accepting of poor ports. We shouldn't make excuses or damage control them. What we should be doing is exactly what Brad did: We need to call out these versions and express how it is not okay. I don't care if, as a console-only gamer, you have no other choice but to play that FC3 version; that doesn't make its performance at all fine or acceptable.

This has nothing to do with me or Brad or anyone "playing too many PC games" and everything to do with others being too complacent about the quality of product they receive.

Posted by unholyone123

@Sooty said:

@unholyone123 said:

@Lelcar said:

I own a PC as well as all three consoles. I haven't forgotten about "consumer standards", I just don't think a lower frame rate is worth freaking out over as long as it is playable. Patrick was right to call out Brad. It's not even what Brad said that was ill thought out, it was the incredibly dickish way he said it. I agree that the game should have consistent performance across all systems, but to say that the other versions are shit just because they don't reach 60 FPS is being overly dismissive.

Posted by raymath

I laughed way too hard at Ryan going "Persona 4: The Golden. The golden WHAT?"

Posted by mutha3
@unholyone123

"just because they don't reach 60 FPS"? They struggle to maintain 20.
Edited by ThatIndianGuy7116

I was at a friends house, playing a bit of Far Cry 3 on the 360, and I don't seem to understand why Brad is hating on the console version. It's completely fine. Had a lot of fun playing it and I'm definitely buying a copy myself. Is there something I'm missing here as far as the whole "PC is always better" argument I mean, I've seen the PC footage and it looks a bit better than the 360 version, but other than that, it looks like it's the same game.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm hating on Brad or any PC gamers in general. I just think it sucks how since I only play on consoles, I'm supposed to just accept that my version is shit in comparison to the PC.

Edited by Thatoneguy64

@unholyone123 said:

@Sooty said:

@unholyone123 said:

@Lelcar said:

I own a PC as well as all three consoles. I haven't forgotten about "consumer standards", I just don't think a lower frame rate is worth freaking out over as long as it is playable. Patrick was right to call out Brad. It's not even what Brad said that was ill thought out, it was the incredibly dickish way he said it. I agree that the game should have consistent performance across all systems, but to say that the other versions are shit just because they don't reach 60 FPS is being overly dismissive.

The problem isn't that the game doesn't hit 60FPS; it's a console game, and developers will always choose better visuals over 60FPS. The problem is that the game struggles to hit 30FPS, and regularly finds itself at 20 or below. This isn't about elitism, being a dick, or anything. This is about the fact that consumers should not be so passive about the subpar product being placed on their plate. You don't have to accept shoddy port jobs just because you're on a console; you have a right to demand a quality product.

Posted by unholyone123

@Thatoneguy64 said:

The problem isn't that the game doesn't hit 60FPS; it's a console game, and developers will always choose better visuals over 60FPS. The problem is that the game struggles to hit 30FPS, and regularly finds itself at 20 or below. This isn't about elitism, being a dick, or anything. This is about the fact that consumers should not be so passive about the subpar product being placed on their plate. You don't have to accept shoddy port jobs just because you're on a console; you have a right to demand a quality product.

If you want to play the PC version and someone else wants play the Xbox360/PS3 version, and you are both happy with your experience than what is the problem? One person may view it as subpar while another may find it to be a blast, regardless of the FPS. Like I said in my last post, I completely agree that the quality of performance should be the same across all platforms. Brad could have said it in a more tactful way than just angrily saying that the console version was shit. That is why I'm glad that Patrick, and the others to a certain degree, called him out on it.

Posted by grapesoda

Hearing Jeff mention the bug scene in the wrath of kahn haunting you for years really rung true with me. I saw that shit when I was a little kid and it definitely stuck with me for a really long time.

Posted by Marokai

I agree with people saying we should hold developers to higher standards when making games that end up with such horrendously low framerates, but guess where these hard-hitting efforts should start and be encouraged first and foremost? By critics and the press. It's nice to sit here and listen to Brad shame the 360 and Ps3 versions, but turning around and giving such supposedly "shit" versions of the game five stars? It starts ringing hollow.  

We should hold developers to a high standard. We should also hold the press to a high standard. 

Posted by twillfast

@Ulzor: Earface? I'm apparently arguing with a five-year-old.

Posted by Vod_Crack

@OleMarthin said:

i think the 360 version of far cry 3 is great. not saying it can hold a candle to the pc, but hey, the 360 is 7 years old. and this game looks a lot better than most of the stuff on the 360. the framerate is low but it is stable so you get used to it fast and after that's it's not a issue at all.

Well put.

Posted by Ulzor

@twillfast said:

Calling people 5 year olds in a derogatory way is what kids do. So whos the kid here hypocrite. So go on defending people on the internet that don't even know you exist, you have to maintain that pathetic life of yours somehow.

Posted by Gordy

@Ulzor: Dude, you called him earface. You're a fucking child.

Posted by Ulzor

@Gordy said:

@Gordy said:

Ok who the hell are you his buddy he runs to cause he can't defend himself? Weak! I never called him an earface, I said at his earface! Read it again you illiterate turd. Learn to read and then you wont look so stupid. Reading comprehension they have classes for it jackass!
Posted by twillfast

@Ulzor said:

@twillfast said:

Calling people 5 year olds in a derogatory way is what kids do. So whos the kid here hypocrite. So go on defending people on the internet that don't even know you exist, you have to maintain that pathetic life of yours somehow.

Ok, so you're probably a 19 year old brat. You probably don't have any idea of what you're talking about. English is probably not your first language. Scandinavian, am I right?

I hope that when you grow up, you'll learn that people are different from each other. Or that you'll say the wrong thing to the wrong guy and get stabbed in the face, one or the other is bound to happen. Either way, nobody will have to hear your negative attitude again.

Edited by Hitchenson

"Totally fine is giving that game too much credit. I played about two hours of it on 360 last night and it was shit."

I love you, Brad.

Edited by tavit

it make sense, lama never saw himself in a mirror , so she will never figure it out that she is not a sheep

Posted by Ulzor

@twillfast said:

@Ulzor said:

@twillfast said:

Ok, so you're probably a 19 year old brat. You probably don't have any idea of what you're talking about. English is probably not your first language. Scandinavian, am I right?

I hope that when you grow up, you'll learn that people are different from each other. Or that you'll say the wrong thing to the wrong guy and get stabbed in the face, one or the other is bound to happen. Either way, nobody will have to hear your negative attitude again.

Damn you are stupid. You pick fights on the internet with immature personal attacks then call people children, 19 year olds and Scandinavians? Then you go on to give another life lesson and talk of stabbings in the face? I'm the kid here? You are such a major hypocrite do you know that! I've never seen a person accuse someone else of more things that they are far worse at doing in my life. I'm guessing you are a pathetic dork sitting in your moms basement right now throwing out them stones. You are far to damn dumb to argue with, you have no self awareness when it comes to your own stupidity and hypocrisy. What's next are you gonna turn into an internet tough guy? You are such a joke!!

Posted by twillfast

@Ulzor: LOL

Posted by porr

I'm just going to say, nobody should have their nipples showing through a shirt.

Posted by Quebec_Classique

@Ulzor: Shut your earface, poop-breath!