274 Comments
Posted by dr_mantas

They had violence at the MOVIE THEATRES?

That just sounds fucking crazy to me.

Posted by zyn

Shit, I need to buy an iPad to not be poor!

Also, KICKING ASS INTRO SONG!

Posted by BasketSnake

RDR.

Posted by Vod_Crack

@Milkman said:

@Vod_Crack said:

@gladspooky said:

@Vod_Crack said:

@wrecks said:

Jeff's Red Dead hate is so fucking bizarre. The mechanics in that game were fantastic.

I actually just finished it for the first time. There's a lot to like but there are large sections of that game that are FUCKING BORING. The pacing was all over the shop. It was awesome, then boring, then awesome, then boring. I feel like the GTA games did a much better job of maintaining fun and excitement throughout.

You're wrong. You're just seeing everything that annoys you about those games in this one. Happened to me with GTA IV. Hated that goddamn game.

I loved that goddamn game so there you go!

Agreed. Love GTA IV and liked Red Dead but didn't love it for exactly that reason. The pacing is absolutely horrible and every time that game made me do another fucking cattle herding mission I wanted to shut that shit off and never play it again.

Yep! There was a reason why it took me ages to finish that game.

Posted by civid

Man, I played a bunch of Jetpack in Donkey Kong 64. Both amazing fucking games, the former probably my favorite game of all time. I mean think about it. If you wanted to even open up the final boss, you needed to complete BOTH Jetpack and the original Donkey Kong or whatever that game was called. So hardcore

Edited by The_Real_Toyners

~37:20

Brad: "What will not have this kind of clarity say in five years from now

Vinny: "Your hyperbole"

Zing!

Posted by Vod_Crack

The Bombcast reminded me of another reason to think Warner Bros. would be a terrible fit for any of this THQ stuff: they bought Midway and did nothing! They only thing good that came out of that was the Mortal Kombat reboot but apart from that, they have done nothing with the Midway assets they picked up. Even easy stuff like the Midway Arcade Origins compilation and the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection were borked, they don't seem to care much about that stuff.

Posted by Wallace316

Everyone is Europe

Posted by FiestaUnicorn

@bunkerbuster05 said:

@Milkman said:

I'm going to go hang myself because I don't even know what retina display is. Bye guys.

No, I'm with you. No idea.

But FROM 1 TO 4 HOLY SHIT!

Retina Display is apple's way of saying the pixels on their screens are really fucking small and you can't see them.

Posted by paulunga

If you want some truely classic cracktro music, look up Razor1911 Birds of Prey.

Posted by Shortbreadtom

TNT COLON BOWLING

Posted by FishieBuddha

new intro music is RADICAL

Posted by geirr

@FishieBuddha said:

new intro music is RADICAL

It is! I fucking love how "grimy" the sid-inspired melody gets.

Edited by hollitz

I still find Jeff's dislike of Red Dead baffling. I hate westerns and I hate GTA games, but I fucking loved Red Dead. It's the only Rockstar game (sans LA Noire) where it felt like the mechanics didn't get in the way of the game.

And this 999/VLR kick I'm on is going to inspire me to make a nonary game suggestion for GB's top 9 of 2013. Digital roots and betrayal all up in that bitch.

Posted by falling_fast

those people who get super pissed about any discussion of indie games are assholes

Posted by prestonhedges

@Vod_Crack said:

@Milkman said:

@Vod_Crack said:

@gladspooky said:

@Vod_Crack said:

@wrecks said:

Jeff's Red Dead hate is so fucking bizarre. The mechanics in that game were fantastic.

I actually just finished it for the first time. There's a lot to like but there are large sections of that game that are FUCKING BORING. The pacing was all over the shop. It was awesome, then boring, then awesome, then boring. I feel like the GTA games did a much better job of maintaining fun and excitement throughout.

You're wrong. You're just seeing everything that annoys you about those games in this one. Happened to me with GTA IV. Hated that goddamn game.

I loved that goddamn game so there you go!

Agreed. Love GTA IV and liked Red Dead but didn't love it for exactly that reason. The pacing is absolutely horrible and every time that game made me do another fucking cattle herding mission I wanted to shut that shit off and never play it again.

Yep! There was a reason why it took me ages to finish that game.

I don't even remember the cattle herding missions. I remember one. And I remember it being pretty easy.

Edited by falling_fast

dude, the Arkenstone is a major part of the end of the Hobbit. Bilbo takes it and gives it to the elves and the men of the lake town, and then Thorin throws a fit and casts Bilbo out of the company.

also, the Hobbit animated movie is the shit :]

Posted by heatDrive88

I gotta say, this has been one of my favourite Bombcasts in a long while. They're all quality, but something about this one is just absolutely great and rewarding to hear. I don't want to say it's because of all the talk about nostagic things, but it's probably all the talk about nostalgic things.

Posted by ImmortalSaiyan

I would watch you guys invade bowling NWO style.

It seems there is an Red Dead Argument in here. I do think it is odd how much he dislikes the game but I am not exactly a big fan of it so I'm not personally bothered. Game is alright.

Posted by Vod_Crack

@gladspooky: There is at least 3 or 4 herding missions in Red Dead Redemption, some at near the start and some near the end. They were so boring you forgot about them.

Edited by I_smell

The big joke is that there is no wig bowling, it's just a prank on the GiantBomb staff.

They're gonna all roll in there with wigs, then come in on Friday to Justin Calvert laughing his ass off.

Posted by Behonkiss

I think that this Bombcast has finally convinced me to play Shut Up and Jam Gaiden. It sounds amazing.

Posted by Supertom11

@damnable_fiend said:

dude, the Arkenstone is a major part of the end of the Hobbit. Bilbo takes it and gives it to the elves and the men of the lake town, and then Thorin throws a fit and casts Bilbo out of the company.

also, the Hobbit animated movie is the shit :]

Glad I found this comment as I was about to post the same thing. I just finished the book (have not seen the movie yet) and the Arkenstone is mentioned several times in the book. I'm pretty sure there was also a main bad Goblin dude but I'm not sure if he was given a name.

Edited by falling_fast

I don't really give a shit about big picture mode. More and more these past few years I've been moving away from playing games on my tv. I wish Sony would make some sort of Small Picture Mode so that I could have the ps3 or ps2 video and audio running through my computer monitor and headphones.

...without buying crazy third party hardware, that is. I know you can do this sort of thing at the moment, but buying some weird product from play-asia is hardly ideal.

I mean, who in Japan has room for these giant-ass stupid American tvs anyway? It seems like a smart feature to make.

Posted by falling_fast

@SmilingPig

augh, dude, did you really have to post that picture?

Posted by ApolloBob

I remember waiting for Crush Crumble and Chomp to load from a tape drive on an Atari 800 - it took forever, and the screeching sounds the tape drive made were ungodly.

Posted by videogamesarenotart

i came here to comment on the podcast but instead i got greeted by a revolting image

why is there no screening process for images?

Posted by Rodiard

Dayum, new intro music is DOPE.

Posted by LegendaryChopChop

I don't love 3D, but there have been really great 3D features to come out since 3D took over. Avatar, Tron, Drive Angry, Dredd... I'm sure The Hobbit is grand, but the 3D has been well done if it wants to be. 3D needs to be glasses-free entirely for this fad to catch on to a point where it won't have people groan.

Posted by Nayson

@SmilingPig: That picture made me retch. Thanks.

Posted by MorkaiTheWolf

Bombcasts make the days in the code mine so much easier. Thank you duders.

Posted by blacklab

Fred Meyer! The boys know what Fred Meyer is. This makes me happy.

Posted by SomeJerk

At around 1h27m40s I wanted to somebody to chime in with "THE ARISTOCRATS".

Edited by gbrading

Britain didn't make Euro Truck Simulator. The Czech Republic did.

Glad to hear Jeff reconsidered the heritage of the ZX Spectrum and the Amiga (and the BBC Micro). Yes the games were blatant rip-offs and were often poor ports, but they were made with passion. Made badly with passion, certainly.

NOTHING beats the ZX Spectrum loading. It's sounds terrible but it's incredible.

Posted by Darkhollow

It's that time again, FOR THE BOMBCAST! :)

Posted by SuperJoe

In AC: Brotherhood I recruited an all female assassin guild, leaving the male recruits to die, to make Ezio an assassin pimp. Brad is so lucky to be playing that for the first time. I'm struggling getting through the been-there-done-that feel of Revelations.

Posted by dropabombonit

Just got home after being in uni all day to see over 3 hours of bombcast and Jeff Goldblum in the cover image, too perfect

Posted by Potter9156

Dark Souls is the game of the generation

Posted by NoelVeiga

Wow, Jeff's perception of the roots of the popularity of 8 and 16 bit computers in Europe is... pretty skewed.

It was the money.

Really, simple as that. The NES was available, the Master System was available, we of course had arcades. Multiple in every small town. We just didn't have an economy where the amount of money those things cost was considered disposable income. The Spectrum made that investment reasonable, and it was sold as a learning tool. It had Basic, so it was sold to parents and technophiles as a "teach your kid to program" thing.

That paired with absolutely abysmal import policies meant that we had a bunch of kids making cheap games they could get local publishers to distribute while Nintendo and Sega were moving tiny amounts of games to selected stores for overpriced import boxes.

So it ended up being a weird right place right time situation where the 2600 was too old and expensive and the Spectrum beat it on every way while the NES was too new and expensive for a dedicated gaming device, so the computers snuck in the middle with the right value proposition. That lasted for two generations, as the systems got culturally ingrained and the Atari ST and Amiga took that design concept into the 16 bit age.

And then that generation of backyard programmers got their hands on PCs and consoles and the rest is history.

But hey, several of my friends, all middle class, had store-bought 2600, NES and Master System boxes. I lived through that using Spectrums and MSXs, and then transitioned to consoles by the time the Mega Drive came out.

Posted by Sammo21

lmfao, why is Brad acting like he knows shit about PC games. This is the same guy who was worried about maintaining and keeping a PC up.

Posted by DougQuaid

Warhammer X Warhammer 40k! Make it happen!

Posted by MormonWarrior

Game of the Generation: Super Mario Galaxy. I'd accept Super Mario Galaxy 2 as well.

And I hate the Wii. Just...GAAAAAH those games are SOOO GOOD! I was playing them again during the break and they're just...the ultimate delightful experiences. They're too good. Transcendent. I wanna build a PC partially just to run that emulator so I can play them in HD.

Posted by bkbroiler

What's really bizarre to me is Jeff's love of GTA IV, but hate of RDR for the mechanics. They play exactly the same except RDR plays better.

Edited by BasketSnake
Posted by MeatSim

I hope somehow all those THQ studios stay largely intact and get to keep working on their games.

Also, digging the new podcast theme.

Posted by Fistoh

I think that we as the Giant Bomb community are obligated to individually raid each and every bowling alley in the San Francisco area. 

Posted by Shaanyboi

@hollitz said:

I still find Jeff's dislike of Red Dead baffling. I hate westerns and I hate GTA games, but I fucking loved Red Dead. It's the only Rockstar game (sans LA Noire) where it felt like the mechanics didn't get in the way of the game.

And this 999/VLR kick I'm on is going to inspire me to make a nonary game suggestion for GB's top 9 of 2013. Digital roots and betrayal all up in that bitch.

I don't care much for GTA, have a mild respect/interest in westerns, and I HATED RDR. Not mechanically. Mechanically I thought it was fine. But 99% of the characters were either fucking cunts or complete idiots (Marsden included). The pacing was fucking dog shit, the dialogue was a joke, and yeah, Mexico was terrible in almost every way.

Posted by golguin

I vote for TNT bowling.

Posted by NoelVeiga

Also, every opinion on Android the guys express here is so... Southern Californian.

Posted by scaramoosh

I was born in 1988 and owned an Amiga though I'm from the UK and I hated the Megadrive and the Snes because they were locked down systems. I then switched to Windows/Dos and the only console I ever owned was the Playstation purely for Metal Gear Solid lol, man that game in the UK was so popular.

Half-Life came out in like 1999 or something though and I've been pure PC ever since, just the console experience has never caught up, always feels so backwards and the hardware is always shitty and dated. I don't like the online experience either, seriously mods and server browsers are way better than lobbies and... no mods? lol.