204 Comments
Posted by Animasta

has no one seen a tales game ever in the bombcast? I swear vesperia had so many of this shit they're amazed by

Edited by MisterSamMan

All this Ni No Kuni talk makes me wish Brad, Patrick, and Ryan would play Persona 4 Golden.

Posted by Blind_Evil

I like JRPGs, less than I used to but I still do. I'm sometimes bummed out that my favorite game site doesn't pay much attention to them. Hearing the Ni No Kuni and resultant general JRPG discussion made me kind of glad you guys don't talk about JRPGs much. I'd suggest you talk to the users more about this stuff rather than other journalists who don't have time to play them or whatever.

Posted by Milkman

@Animasta said:

has no one seen a tales game ever in the bombcast? I swear vesperia had so many of this shit they're amazed by

Tales of Vesperia is the best JRPG of the generation. FACT.

Posted by Sterling

"I feel that is the perfect length for a game, long enough." - Vinny

Posted by Animasta

@Milkman said:

@Animasta said:

if the last 25% of the game wasn't terrible I would've agreed with you. (my personal opinion is Resonance of Fate)

Still, it's silly that it's THIS game that is somehow more appealing, because ni no kuni, just from the QL, is tales as fuck.

Posted by bkbroiler

One of the many, many other reasons to take Yelp reviews with a grain of salt is that probably 90% of people come to Yelp after a bad experience. Not many people have a pleasant time at a restaurant and then decide to leave a review. It's always something bad happening and then they go "fuck you, I'm leaving a Yelp review!"

Posted by Phatmac

I hate that Ryan cut off Patrick while he was talking about VLR.

Edited by Marokai
@Animasta said:

This is why JRPG discussions on the bombcast are terrible. Their opinions on JRPGs sound like they're coming from a position of having not played a single JRPG to completion since the late 90s. Probably because with the exception of Persona 4 and a couple of Final Fantasy games, they haven't.
Posted by ModernMoriarty

Brad has a point though, when he says that the time you spend on a JRPG just feels like so much more time compared to the same amount of hours spent on other games. Because JRPGs are so heavily story dependent and demand you pay attention constantly or lose track of the story completely. Its no surprise that one of the only JRPGs they have played much of (Persona 4) is far more relaxed on this, and far more casual gamer friendly, outside of the opening hour). As a JRPG fan myself, it does make me wince to hear them talk about such games, as they are so out of touch with them, but at least I can understand why. JRPGs are extremely demanding of your time and attention, and many of them (as was rightly pointed out to GB's credit), start really really slowly, which further discourages those who aren't fully committed.

As game reviewers, they obviously don't have that kind of time. Plus, its been a pretty lean generation for JRPGs, to say the least. Tales of Vesperia was a great game, but like has already been mentioned, the last section was pretty bad (felt like a post game dungeon that was actually required to finish the story - Dragon's Dogma does something similar). Plus, that's just one game, and considering how long this gen has gone on, there haven't been all that many others that were really all that great. And I say this as someone who actually did like FF13 (and loved FF13-2). I liked Eternal Sonata, but I'm having a hard time thinking of many more that I really loved.

Probably my favourite JRPGesque experience of this Gen wasn't even an JRPG - Valkyria Chronicles! That game was awesome, and its a tragedy that it didn't get the attention it deserved. There was a sequel on the PSP which was alrightish, but it just wasn't the same as the superb original. Probably my favourite game of this whole generation, actually.

Posted by ZenaxPure

Comments hear makes it sounds like I need to skip over the ni no kuni talk v_v. I do wish they wouldn't talk about JRPGs, like ever, usually just makes me sad at how much they don't know. Nothing wrong with that, but just don't try to talk about them.

Posted by MrCleanTrousers

'Playin' a lot of Ni No Kuni, and it's awesome, but I really have to pee.' Love that Brad.

Posted by BeachThunder

So, any chance of a VLR spoilercast?

Posted by Animasta

@BeachThunder said:

he confirmed that on twitter

Posted by BeachThunder

@Animasta said:

@BeachThunder said:

he confirmed that on twitter

Yay, ^__^ Thanks for the heads-up.

I really enjoyed the last one. It's nice having someone just openly talk about spoilery games.

Posted by SpunkyHePanda

"Bluzi cluzi"?!

Posted by I_smell

Million dollar idea: Yelp for 8-year-olds.

Posted by Darkhollow

It's that time again..(8 in the morning).

BOMBCAST while playing Dota 2 YEAAAH!

Edited by Brackynews

Need to keep your old game licenses in play? Gotcha covered.

Because everyone played Pong and Asteroids on a VHF/UHF TV.
Posted by NPfeifer

That Drobot improv at the end there? OMG.

Edited by Encephalon

Really enjoyed the Halo 4 talk.

The Bombcast should make this a weekly segment. Each week, tear apart the story of a popular current-gen video game.

Posted by Muzhik

ESSENCE PANELS

Posted by tyler1285

For that guy who was sleepwalking/playing Tales of Graces, the tales games all have a synopsis option in their menus where they tell you exactly what has happened in the story and where to go. So just go check that.

Posted by mrfluke

@Animasta said:

@Milkman said:

@Animasta said:

if the last 25% of the game wasn't terrible I would've agreed with you. (my personal opinion is Resonance of Fate)

Still, it's silly that it's THIS game that is somehow more appealing, because ni no kuni, just from the QL, is tales as fuck.

you do realize one of the core reasons its appealing at all is cause of the studio ghibli involvement right? i dont really care too much about JRPGS this gen, and the only reason i have any interest in ni no kuni is because of the studio ghibli involvement, and i highly wager thats one of the reasons why the crew has any interests in it.

Edited by Dallas_Raines

Not be 'that' guy, but Brad doesn't act like Ni No Kuni is some revolutionary, genre changing masterpiece, he just says it's polished, charming and well-translated.(Which is still kinda rare in the "sounds completely natural to English ears" sense, anyway.)

Edited by sub_o

To that guy who played Tales of Graces f.

I don't think you're missing much from the story. You can see the plot 'twist' coming from miles away anyway.

Posted by joshthebear

The opening segment about Yelp is fucking amazing.

Posted by hollitz

@Milkman said:

@Animasta said:

It's certainly the best one this generation. Probably one of the best ever. It's worth buying a 360 for.

Man, I adored FFX, played it 3 or 4 times, but yeah that fucking epic weapons stuff suuuuuuuuuucked. The chocobo racing garbage for Tidus was terrible. And I can't remember the lightning strike stuff. I only remember it in X-2. Ugh, that was really shitty.

Looking forward to the HD re-release. Hoping they fixed the weird ass character model fidgeting.

Posted by NarficAcid

I am crying with laughter over the "Drobot"/Vinny conversation.

Posted by GuardianKnux

Yeah Choice of Dragon! I love that one. I had to play it for collage.

Edited by Zeik

It's great to hear Brad be so earnestly enthusiastic about a JRPG. I've come to accept that these guys just don't care about them, but it's nice to see something like Ni no Kuni can still spark interest in some of them.

Also did I hear Vinny say he loved FFIX? You're awesome Vinny.

Posted by FoxMulder

@Phatmac said:

If Ryan is bored or not involved in something, he will sure as hell change the topic in any way possible because he thinks he's the only person on Earth sometimes!

Posted by Godlyawesomeguy

Totally with Vinny on the whole doctor choice.

Posted by ripelivejam

created yelp account just to big up ryan's review

Posted by SleepyDoughnut

Haha wow if you google Ryan's yelp review it is exactly the pretentious shit they're hating on, so bad

Posted by Cramsy

@SpunkyHePanda said:

"Bluzi cluzi"?!

Blues Clues? I have no idea

Posted by TheDeadComedian

@FoxMulder said:

@Phatmac said:

If Ryan is bored or not involved in something, he will sure as hell change the topic in any way possible because he thinks he's the only person on Earth sometimes!

Blasphemer. Ryan is a terrific host, and he's the only one trying to keep the show going forward.

Sometimes I do wish he would let them rant more, but it's already a fucking 3 hour podcast.

Posted by DeathbyYeti

oh look Patrick is a former Resident Evil fanboy now too. Neat

Edited by Sil3n7

How ironic that they are so against reviews on a website. What a completely stupid double standard. As if Jeff is some pre-ordained blessed one that has the right to write a review.

Posted by EarthBowl

I really enjoyed their conversation on JRPG's and I am also enjoying my time with Nino Kuni so far. Great bombast as always guys, keep up the fantastic work!

Posted by GrantHeaslip

I haven't heard the entirety of the Yelp segment if the show, but I want to add that the Yelp reviews in Toronto are fairly okay — in a lot if cases, I actually think they're not discerning enough.

I think the self-obsessed yuppie reviews may be more of a west coast thing, though I've got no hard evidence to support that.

Posted by arimajinn

Bombcast!! :3

Posted by Winternet

I love the smell of bombcast in the morning.

Posted by Aelric

I'ma smoke till I die

Posted by golguin

What is up with Jeff's strong hate for the Kingdom Hearts series?

Posted by sub_o

Bit of correction here, it's Richard Honeywood instead of Honeywell.

Posted by Downloaded

I came.

Edited by BasketSnake

Help me or I yelp you. Maybe you're treated different if you show up in the YELP VAN. Just a big banner on the van.

Posted by cavemantom

I didn't want to bungle or bobble the Fingal dopple.

Edited by BigDaddy81

@Sil3n7 said:

How ironic that they are so against reviews on a website. What a completely stupid double standard. As if Jeff is some pre-ordained blessed one that has the right to write a review.

Well he does have a Reviewer Card. If that doesn't prove his legitimacy as the One fated to review all games, I don't what does.